Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So that's what happened to all the balls after the OYW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just finished the PB HG Gundam Plutone and it's actually really good. Being so deep in MSV and only appearing in one novel that nobody read they could have very easily half-assed it without too many complaints but they really designed the heck out of it.

The ribbons are implemented really well so they don't impair articulation, of which there is an ample amount. Thanks to excellent colour separation, it's easily over 90% color accurate, with the only non-sensor stickers being the red spots on the antenna.

It's definitely the best HG00 ever and quite possibly one of the best HGs of this year.

Argas posted:

So that's what happened to all the balls after the OYW

You say that as if any survived. :v:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 2, 2020

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RillAkBea posted:

I just finished the PB HG Gundam Plutone and it's actually really good. Being so deep in MSV and only appearing in one novel that nobody read they could have very easily half-assed it without too many complaints but they really designed the heck out of it.

The ribbons are implemented really well so they don't impair articulation, of which there is an ample amount. Thanks to excellent colour separation, it's easily over 90% color accurate, with the only non-sensor stickers being the red spots on the antenna.

It's definitely the best HG00 ever and quite possibly one of the best HGs of this year.

I still don’t get why this wasn’t a wide release. The last two IBO HGs were only in a cancelled phone game, popularity isn’t always the point.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Solkanar512 posted:

I still don’t get why this wasn’t a wide release. The last two IBO HGs were only in a cancelled phone game, popularity isn’t always the point.

They probably set the release details for those IBO kits before the game got cancelled. If the game had come out that would've been good marketing for the kits.

But the Plutone is a MSV from a fifteen year old show, so there's less buzz.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gripweed posted:

They probably set the release details for those IBO kits before the game got cancelled. If the game had come out that would've been good marketing for the kits.

But the Plutone is a MSV from a fifteen year old show, so there's less buzz.

I’m sure this is the reason, but I can’t help but think, “how many people buy a model because it looks cool it is well designed and gets good reviews” rather than “because I watched Gundam Unicorn”.

Not that the synergy doesn’t have a very real effect, but for a single HG I have to wonder.

I’ve never watch Seed, never read AoZ and so on but I eagerly built an MG Freedom and have a TR-1 Hazentheyly Rah 2 on order. But I’m not a statistically significant sample either.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 2, 2020

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

It's somehow not even cancelled, they're just taking a really long time and not bothering to update anything.

Coincidentally they actually put out a screenshot today.
https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1311949992492318720?s=19

They're promising to put out more info on Iron Blooded Day, which is in 2 days apparently.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

It's somehow not even cancelled, they're just taking a really long time and not bothering to update anything.

Coincidentally they actually put out a screenshot today.
https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1311949992492318720?s=19

They're promising to put out more info on Iron Blooded Day, which is in 2 days apparently.

They've been putting up screenshots on the IBO twitter account semi-regularly lately. It was meant to launch in the summer but COVID probably slowed things down.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anything to lengthen the tail on IBO, I'd really like more exploration of that setting.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

A calamity war ova would be god drat amazing.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Monaghan posted:

A calamity war ova would be god drat amazing.

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
Picked up a WaDom Pod May for the group build, but she ended up being a bit short for a Stormtrooper Grunt Suit. Maybe I can fix that one day, but in the meantime I figure I can print out a buddy so it's not lonely. :3:

Apologies since the print is super ugly and the model is bare, but it was a quick thing to see how close I came to the proper dimensions. The POD did end up being neat little kit even if it's not particularly accurate (or properly scaled) to the one in Turn-A.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

0x0hShit posted:

Picked up a WaDom Pod May for the group build, but she ended up being a bit short for a Stormtrooper Grunt Suit. Maybe I can fix that one day, but in the meantime I figure I can print out a buddy so it's not lonely. :3:

What's your process here? You got a 3D scanner or did you power out a 3D model the old fashioned way? I been thinking of making a bootleg Gundam the latter way just to see if I can, but... effort.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RillAkBea posted:

I'm doing the Geminass right now and I feel the same way. It's too well done to rot away as a P-Bandai kit.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RillAkBea posted:

The balls survived they're just inert.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

The balls survived they're just inert.

Not all wrong.

Apparently, most of them that survived were disarmed or converted to museum pieces. However, the Minelayer variant of the RB-79 was completely wiped out, with any surviving models converted back to the standard design.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am ready to be intensely shocked by quality disparity.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Currently working on an MG Zaku 2.0 and I can see why people bitch about the pipes. My fingers are going to start hurting soon.

Also, as someone who likes painting the pilot figures, I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with this Char, there is no Base on it. Just miniscule feet and nothing below them.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 3, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ibblebibble posted:

I am ready to be intensely shocked by quality disparity.

The finished look of each is still terrific, but you will definitely see the improvement in the internal mechanics of the 93 over the 78-2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Veotax posted:

Currently working on an MG Zaku 2.0 and I can see why people bitch about the pipes. My fingers are going to start hurting soon.

Also, as someone who likes painting the pilot figures, I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with thich Char, there is no Base on it. Just miniscule feet and nothing below them.

Glue him to something. If you can find something that looks like or can be painted to look like a catwalk or a spaceship deck or something, that's a bonus

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

Diet Poison posted:

What's your process here? You got a 3D scanner or did you power out a 3D model the old fashioned way? I been thinking of making a bootleg Gundam the latter way just to see if I can, but... effort.

The old fashioned way. Grabbed some calipers, measured measured some more and took a few pictures for more complex lines. Getting a rough copy of WaDom POD was fairly easy this way since there's a lot of simple overlapping shapes (thanks, Syd Mead), and as far as the kit itself it wasn't complex or greeble-y. For a bootleg Gundam though, I'd probably recommend going the IBO route and copying the inner frame and then modeling atop it since the frame itself is fairly friendly for measuring.

An example of what I mean, here's Dalong's 1/144 along side the 1/100 upscale IBO Hexa that I was working on before :effort:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Glue him to something. If you can find something that looks like or can be painted to look like a catwalk or a spaceship deck or something, that's a bonus

This thing does come with some lift thing for getting the pilot up to the cockpit, maybe I could glue him to that before building it? Would make good practice for when I finally do my Metal Gear Rex, there is like four figures in that and no bases on them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The finished look of each is still terrific, but you will definitely see the improvement in the internal mechanics of the 93 over the 78-2.

You're right, the RX-78 does look pretty drat cool when done, even if it feels pretty flimsy.

Nu Gundam next.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Not going to lie, this kit surprised me. I went into it expecting it to be a stress mark nightmare and it absolutely wasn't, it all cleaned up real nice. It really makes me want to build an Origin Zaku II now, but nowhere in the UK has any in stock :negative:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://twitter.com/hide94373/status/1312228583155265536?s=19

Incredible.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm going to move back the deadline by one month so that we have a distraction during election season and also because it's really really hard to find high proof isopropyl alcohol nowadays.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

That's an extra month where you can like paint your kits and stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh poo poo, I'd forgotten about the contest. Maybe I should do another one.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gripweed posted:

oh poo poo, I'd forgotten about the contest. Maybe I should do another one.

plenty of time!
im doing the ms-06c nise gundam because I had both a SDCS Gundam and a SDCS Zaku so I figured why not

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Speaking of competitions....

:woop:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Got a pg strike freedom for 300 cad. Pretty good deal. I have 4 pg's now in my backlog. I may have a problem.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Monaghan posted:

Got a pg strike freedom for 300 cad. Pretty good deal. I have 4 pg's now in my backlog. I may have a problem.

Be super careful with it's wings. They have a really bad breaking habit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

There are some inexpensive metal reinforcement parts that address some of the structurally weak parts of the kit that are worth the $20.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Im doing another one. What color should I paint this drat thing?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Jegan color

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

First deployment Jegan colors.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Im doing another one. What color should I paint this drat thing?

Careful with the arms. The plastic joints in my kit melted after tamiya panel liner dripped inside. I supposed if primed it will be safer.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Tried replacing stickers with the basic set of gunpla markers, didn't really do anything other than try to clean up using an eraser. Not really satisfied with how it looks and I'm worried I messed up the tip of my gm02 marker by using it on a surface which had a sticker's adhesive stuff still on it (even though I thought I got rid of most of it) or if I used it too much. You can see where I stopped coloring the back leg piece in the bottom left corner. The coloring with the black marker could look better too. Not really sure what to do now.

In better news I'm building the RG nu gundam and that's been pretty fun so far. I'm very impressed with the engineering.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
GM02? Did you use panel lining markers instead of paint markers?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Slanderer posted:

GM02? Did you use panel lining markers instead of paint markers?

Yeah, I didn't have a black marker so I thought it would be fine but surprise, it wasn't. I'll wipe off the panel lining marker and get a black painting marker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Anybody know how the PG Zakus are?