Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is it just me or does it not look really all that big? Looks roughly 34x26 studs for the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's no way that has 9000 pieces.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cojawfee posted:

There's no way that has 9000 pieces.

I was thinking something similar. :raise:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The base is entirely snot brick built I'd be at least 1k of the pieces are in that. It's going to be an assload of wedges and plates and tiles and a nightmare of boring to build.

Oh, you guys are looking at the photos in the article, Lego copyright claimed all the images I've seen so they're using placeholder images. That's not what it looks like at all.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 5, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Skimming a google translated version of the article, I think the picture isn't the actual leak, it's just someone's MOC?

quote:

The LEGO Colosseum is not about the historical building, but about the current state of the ancient amphitheater. So one side has already collapsed. A black, round SNOT foundation is also being built on which the Colosseum will be placed. Outside there are various trees, but also stones.

As a special Easter egg, a mini version of the LEGO 10271 Fiat 500 can be found in front of the Colosseum , on whose packaging the Colosseum has already been teased.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Skimming a google translated version of the article, I think the picture isn't the actual leak, it's just someone's MOC?

Correct, here's another photo of the leak, it might not last long, most are gone. https://www.instagram.com/p/CF7WjIyBI8b/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't give a gently caress about owning a living room sized representation of the Colosseum but all those tan pieces are a big draw for me. I'm gonna build that epic norman castle someday, dammit. :colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm sure someone is going to love it. Some people love the Taj Mahal and this is clearly going to be even worse. With Lego, there is something for everyone, and that's a good thing.

I do wonder how something like this got approved at corporate. It's not going to be a big seller. Or are they gambling that AFOLs just can't help themselves?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm sure someone is going to love it. Some people love the Taj Mahal and this is clearly going to be even worse. With Lego, there is something for everyone, and that's a good thing.

I do wonder how something like this got approved at corporate. It's not going to be a big seller. Or are they gambling that AFOLs just can't help themselves?

There may be some value in the newsworthiness aspect of it. “The biggest LEGO set ever” is guaranteed news posts that will also invite comparison to the second-biggest set and serve to advertise it as well, and will also add brand awareness to a different demographic than would the Millennium Falcon.

That general strategy of “big set that puts Lego on different newsfeeds” is probably what drove the production of Old Trafford as well, IMO.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Blue Moonlight posted:

That general strategy of “big set that puts Lego on different newsfeeds” is probably what drove the production of Old Trafford as well, IMO.

Lego has a marketing deal with Man United that goes past just the giant set, they have ads in the stadium and stuff too

Shame they aren't the jersey ad, the colors would even match up. But Lego doesn't have that kind of money

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Lego has a marketing deal with Man United that goes past just the giant set, they have ads in the stadium and stuff too

I didn't know that and that sorta dashes my hopes of a Lego Anfield. Which is a shame, that Old Trafford set is pretty slick lookin'

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone have the Mega Construx Master Chief helmet and one of the Lego Star Wars helmets that they could post a side by side of?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Crappy phone pics
https://i.imgur.com/Xz3kaqX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/imSmJl7.jpg

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 5, 2020

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah dude, I'm buying the hell out of this. The Taj Mahal didn't really do it for me, but in general, the large scale real-world sets are instant buys.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

PriorMarcus posted:

This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone have the Mega Construx Master Chief helmet and one of the Lego Star Wars helmets that they could post a side by side of?

the Construx Helmet is probably not yet out or having the usual Mega® Distribution problems, so it's not been reviewed yet, I think... I don't have either, so all I have is this video and from what I've seen it seems like they might be around the same scale? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ett2naVnMq8

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I like that MOC Coliseum.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So I was making some ladybugs in Studio, and really hit a wall trying to figure out how to make the shell for the 'realistic' one. I wanted to surround the shell with faceted plates on angles, as opposed to the stacking method I used on the smaller one.

Is there any best practice or method for designing a shell of plates like I was trying to do there? The gaps are huge and more importantly I can't think of a way to fasten the different parts together when they meet at the top.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Germany gets 2x VIP points on all purchases 8.10-20.10 not sure about other countries.

Might be worth checking.

Edit: fixed date

Hopper fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 6, 2020

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Hopper posted:

Germany gets 2x VIP points on all purchases 8.10-10.10 not sure about other countries.

Might be worth checking.

US is getting it from the 8th to 20th according to the email i just got.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Huh right Newsletter says 20th in Germany as well. I must have misread that on the Website.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Lots of leaks for the January products.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGBUqOrp9gz/?igshid=1ue3cqt84n5ym

Including the new road plates/system which is awful.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

these will go great with my thousand dollar coliseum

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Official brick built roads are cool, not sure why they went for two shades of grey on them though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

Lots of leaks for the January products.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGBUqOrp9gz/?igshid=1ue3cqt84n5ym

Including the new road plates/system which is awful.

Neat! 100% will buy that tractor.

I agree with the philosophical direction of the new road plates system, a brick built road is better than a plate you can’t modify. I just wish the existing baseplates were 1 plate thick instead of not matching anything.

Like these plates!

I’m also not as big of a fan of the overall road design... hopefully we see iterations and improvements. Great idea, awful execution.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Neat! 100% will buy that tractor.

I agree with the philosophical direction of the new road plates system, a brick built road is better than a plate you can’t modify. I just wish the existing baseplates were 1 plate thick instead of not matching anything.

Like these plates!

I’m also not as big of a fan of the overall road design... hopefully we see iterations and improvements. Great idea, awful execution.

That user has pages for all the ranges by the way. Star Wars, Ninjago, etc. Nothing for the 18+ sets yet.

I also agree that the new road idea is great? But the execution sucks. It will also cost a fortune.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Harry Potter is getting book-shaped sets for Hogwarts houses.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

Nothing for the 18+ sets yet.

Maybe this, but for the goat man?

Sorry not sorry...

Though, speaking of lego voxel art, I recently flipped through this book and holy poo poo, Lego pre 2000s is barely recognizable to Lego now:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Presenting the LCS Defiant, one of the oldest and longest running competitors in the Great Space Race!

Crew from left to right: Kenny, the road manager, has an obsession with beachcombing and takes his metal detector everywhere. Lenny, the mechanic, his favorite song is Pink by Janelle Monae but his favorite musician is Pink and he is kept up late at night thinking about this paradox. Jenny, the medic and backup mechanic, has a hard time adjusting to zero gravity and is almost constantly space-sick. Benny, suffers from spaceship mania, Kenny has to keep pulling favors to get him out of jail when they travel the racing circuit because Benny keeps dismantling things to try and turn them into spaceships.

I think that's it for my Space Race entries, I'm all out of matching spacesuits and good ideas.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Disappointed that they're doing another Millennium Falcon Mini Fighter. That makes the third one they've done since they started that line. And another AT-AT. How about doing a Slave 1? Or Jabba's Sail Barge?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Disappointed that they're doing another Millennium Falcon Mini Fighter. That makes the third one they've done since they started that line. And another AT-AT. How about doing a Slave 1? Or Jabba's Sail Barge?

At least the AT-AT has a tauntaun with it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Some guy on the Lego classic space Facebook page made a classic space video game. I've only played it a bit but it seems like quite the love letter so far.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
give me that fuggen neb-b

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lots of airplanes, farm, and fire

No police!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Presenting the LCS Defiant, one of the oldest and longest running competitors in the Great Space Race!

Crew from left to right: Kenny, the road manager, has an obsession with beachcombing and takes his metal detector everywhere. Lenny, the mechanic, his favorite song is Pink by Janelle Monae but his favorite musician is Pink and he is kept up late at night thinking about this paradox. Jenny, the medic and backup mechanic, has a hard time adjusting to zero gravity and is almost constantly space-sick. Benny, suffers from spaceship mania, Kenny has to keep pulling favors to get him out of jail when they travel the racing circuit because Benny keeps dismantling things to try and turn them into spaceships.

I think that's it for my Space Race entries, I'm all out of matching spacesuits and good ideas.
Oh dang that's awesome. Love the exaggerated shaping. That upper saucer area / standalone ship is particularly slick. Nice job.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New X wing looks good. God that was quick though. I think the last one only disappeared a year or so ago. Same with the tie fighter.

They fixed the bad redesign of the cannons which is good. Not sure if I like the new nose cone better or not but I think thats the first time they have changed the front end build for like 15 years.

At this point I might as well stop fooling myself and accept that I just impulse buy every x wing they do lol. Why not add number 7? :suicide:

New imperial shuttle looks almost identical but sort of like, stumpy? Maybe it’s just the photo. The build almost looks unchanged from the 2016 one.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 7, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The shuttle has about 600 pieces (vs ~950 in the previous one), so they must have made some significant changes somewhere.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The shuttle has about 600 pieces (vs ~950 in the previous one), so they must have made some significant changes somewhere.

Yeah, the TIE and the X-Wing look smaller too, am I wrong?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dogen posted:

Yeah, the TIE and the X-Wing look smaller too, am I wrong?

Yeah, the main X-Wing is 474 (compared to 700-750 for most of the recent ones).

The TIE is closer in part count so I don't know what the difference is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh wow. I didn't even noticethe X Wing being so many less parts, but the yeah the Tie and Shuttle look smaller in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's the wings, or whatever those panels are called; they're scaled way down