Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Like 3/4ths of Dunsany's books are public domain and available online with an easy search. There are good editions of two of them here: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks?query=dunsany

I know, but I was asking about a physical book. Thanks anyway! And thanks everyone for the tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I know, but I was asking about a physical book. Thanks anyway! And thanks everyone for the tips.

In addition to what others have said, Dover Books has inexpensive editions of Wonder Tales and The King of Elfland's Daughter available through their site.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

pseudorandom name posted:

Sorry, I was a bit muddled in my praise here. In my defense, somebody kept me awake into the early morning with a good book.

You're really good at coming up with obsolete terms for familiar concepts that might not actually be familiar and you have little quirks of world builiding like the Falcrestian gesture to ward off evil being pantomimed handwashing (did that come about naturally because of their obsession with hygiene, or was it deliberately introduced in order to promote/reinforce the handwashing?) and then the followup of the standardized mental health exercises being described as washings.

Some other little things I found delightful:

[examples]
Getting a definition of trim was wonderful as well. Tau talked about it mechanistically in Monster, but it was hard for me to internalize as a philosophy until I read this:

quote:

To maintain trim is to act in a way that puts the well being of others before your own. Not in the hope of reward or advantage, but in the knowledge that the only way to a good world is for all people to put themselves second so that all people will be put first.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Selachian posted:

In addition to what others have said, Dover Books has inexpensive editions of Wonder Tales and The King of Elfland's Daughter available through their site.

Yeah, Dover reprint editions are always solid quality.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

pseudorandom name posted:

Some other little things I found delightful:

- Xate Yawa getting high on weed, looking me directly in the eye and telling me how to pronounce her name.

- The thinly veiled poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died.

- Gratuitously making GBS threads on homeopathy, because you can.

Personally I enjoyed the two separate occasions characters took a moment to explain that Sandersonian magic systems aren't magic at all, but rather game manuals (or, if you want to be generous, "science"). Shoutout to the GOATs Tau-indi and Ulyu Xe.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Making solid progress in SFL Archives Vol 12a, readthrough update 02 has been up for a few days, and just posted readthrough update 03 on the SFL Archives readthrough blog.

This has to be mentioned though. Someone leaked the casting notes for STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, and you can see exactly where the producers gave in and stopped editing out Gene Roddenberry's skeeviness in the casting notes for the female ST:TNG characters

BEVERLY CRUSHER -- Wesley's 35 year old mother. She serves as the chief medical officer on the Enterprise. If it were not for her intelligence, personality, beauty and the fact that she has a natural walk of a striptease queen, Capt. Picard might not have agreed to her request that Wesley observe bridge activities; therefore letting her son's intelligence carry events further.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

quantumfoam posted:

BEVERLY CRUSHER -- Wesley's 35 year old mother. She serves as the chief medical officer on the Enterprise. If it were not for her intelligence, personality, beauty and the fact that she has a natural walk of a striptease queen, Capt. Picard might not have agreed to her request that Wesley observe bridge activities; therefore letting her son's intelligence carry events further.

That's not at all helped by Wesley being Gene Wesley Roddenberry's self-incest character. Oh sorry, I meant "self-insert".

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
For anyone who likes free books:

It's a westerner's take on Chinese cultivation fantasy. Good as a 'light', action-focused popcorn fantasy read. Kind of like doofy shonen anime ala DBZ or Naruto, lots of fighting and training for fights and talking about training and fighting, but with better writing.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The bad Kindle books thread is over there, thank you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Horizon Burning posted:

The bad Kindle books thread is over there, thank you.

Cradle's actually good :colbert:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Maybe your taste is just poor :smugbert:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Like 3/4ths of Dunsany's books are public domain and available online with an easy search. There are good editions of two of them here: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks?query=dunsany

Another thing I really love about Dunsany:

He's not following any pattern. Idle Days on the Yann especially just violates every supposed "rule" of storytelling there is. There's no beginning, no end, not really, you just get a chunk of story, like a random chapter excerpted from some un-recorded whole. There's no real conflict, just a series of scenes. There's no plot and little suspense.

Just some characters drifting through scenery.

And that's all you need.

Ah, so he wrote a slice of life manga

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

After really enjoying Robert Charles Wilson's Blind Lake I picked up Darwinia, and... eh. It starts out great but then very quickly becomes a computer simulation story that isn't nearly as interesting as it thinks it is.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

XBenedict posted:

Maybe your taste is just poor :smugbert:

Can confirm Cradle is actually good! I am so very psyched for Wintersteel.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

StrixNebulosa posted:

A bold claim considering that each of those three sentences contains a massive red flag.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015
I'm listening to the audiobook of the first Cradle book.

It's not exactly fine literature, but it's entertaining...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm not sure which of you recommended The Steerswoman, or rather which one of your recommendations I actually saw in the several times it has been brought up this year, but thanks.

I read The Lost Steersman and The Language of Power this weekend and they were fun. They slow reveal of the actual nature of her world has been entertaining.

Apparently the author has been plucking along on both books 5 and 6 for like the last decade or more, in between her accountancy day job and fighting off breast cancer. I shall remain optimistic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

For anyone who likes free books:

It's a westerner's take on Chinese cultivation fantasy. Good as a 'light', action-focused popcorn fantasy read. Kind of like doofy shonen anime ala DBZ or Naruto, lots of fighting and training for fights and talking about training and fighting, but with better writing.
How much romance is there? I could use something I can read with my brain turned off.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There's a non-zero amount of romance but it's a very small part of the story, at least so far.

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain

GladRagKraken posted:

I'm trying to find a book I found out about here, and I've skimmed through the thread and I couldn't find it again. It was this future dystopia where there were all sorts of enhanced fabrics, and the protagonist was a tailor. Is that ringing any bells? Can someone remind me of the title?

Yarn by Jon Armstrong?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

freebooter posted:

After really enjoying Robert Charles Wilson's Blind Lake I picked up Darwinia, and... eh. It starts out great but then very quickly becomes a computer simulation story that isn't nearly as interesting as it thinks it is.

Did you finish it? The computer generation thing is more an interstitial before it goes back to more pulpy stuff.

I read it when it came out and one was of my favorite quick reads for a few years after. The only other thing I read of his was the Spin books.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

Yarn by Jon Armstrong?

YES! Thank you.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished KJ Parker's Academic Exercises. Really good, I've become a fan of his now. I'm reading his second short story collection, Father of Lies, which is less good, but still decent. He's better at writing down on their luck students who end up accomplishing something great or are swept up in some insane plan, less good at writing geniuses who manage to effortlessly accomplish their plans, and very bad at writing women. The worst story I've read so far was "Downfall of the Gods" which had a female protagonist (though she's a deity, so...). I didn't really buy the voice he was giving her, and being an immortal being there was nothing that could harm her. It was a very low stakes story with a not very compelling protagonist.

I read some reviews of The Folding Knife after finishing that book, and critics pointed out that many of Bassano's philosophical viewpoints that he comes to as he lives through a war read as very trite, which they felt suited his character as a spoiled aristocrat. Basso's faith in his nephew Bassano was viewed as another of Basso's flaws, because Bassano is not actually as brilliant as Basso believes.

But in the short stories, these philosophical ideas come up again and again. The concept that there is no real morality, there is just sides, and people congregate on one particular side or another without any concept of right or wrong. This is an idea Parker keeps returning to, and puts into the mouths of characters he builds up as the greatest philosophers of their age in his world. Which makes me wonder if he really believes it, and Bassano's conclusions in The Folding Knife were meant to be poignant and true revelations that he comes to during war. In which case a lot of critics are giving Parker too much credit, believing he's satirizing a view he might actually believe in.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

Yarn by Jon Armstrong?

GladRagKraken posted:

YES! Thank you.

LOL this is literally the series that I couldn't remember but suggested to you and you turned down.

I knew the second book was called Grey, except I spelled it Gray and good luck searching book titles for something that generic.

Thanks for finding it, Thirty-Five Minutes.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Dreamblood Duology (The Killing Moon, The Shadowed Sun) by NK Jemisin - $6.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DSTTQAO/

The Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, The Crimson Campaign, The Autumn Republic) by Brian McClellan - $9.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZNTK6V/

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KVLPYDQ/

The Bone Ships (Tide Child #1) by RJ Barker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MPW3GMX/

Cradle series 1-7 by Will Wight - Free
Unsouled - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1CYBS6/
Soulsmith - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M09PWJQ/
Blackflame - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716GZ8QX/
Skysworn - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762YQ2H8/
Ghostwater - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFWZP9C/
Underlord - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJ3B6HN/
Uncrowned - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X8ZH6BS/
Thanks to Cicero for the heads up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mark Lawrence "The Impossible Times" trilogy on sale at amazon (I haven't read these books but I enjoyed the prince of thorns trilogy from the same author)

One Word Kill $0.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C24V3SD
Limited Wish $0.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H4FTJ7T
Dispel Illusion $1.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QRTQ2K3

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pradmer posted:

The Bone Ships (Tide Child #1) by RJ Barker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MPW3GMX/

The Bone Ships is a fun pirate romp with weird magic birds, but I should warn the reader that it ends with the words
"So, it is over"
"No. Now, it begins"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did you finish it? The computer generation thing is more an interstitial before it goes back to more pulpy stuff.

I read it when it came out and one was of my favorite quick reads for a few years after. The only other thing I read of his was the Spin books.

Yeah, I still found the latter two thirds to just be unenjoyable, a sense of an idea Wilson had that he failed to execute. Like, the entire 50-page climax of the undying not-soldiers going off to fight the... lizard virus programs in the lost city? I was just bored and felt it was a waste of my time. No clear stakes, no sense of action-and-consequence, and characters I didn't care about.

On the strength of Blind Lake and the very beginning of Darwinia, though, I'm going to keep reading him and have a few more of his books on order.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I liked spin quite a bit but haven't read the two other books yet

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hi thread, I'm looking for some fantasy or Sci fi by a female author for a book club that wouldn't normally read that. I've read The Left Hand of Darkness recently and was thinking of suggesting the Dispossessed, but Kindred by Octavia Butler also looks good.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Also you guys seem cool.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Piranesi by Susanna Clarke is good (based on reviews and what I've read so far), very recent, and short.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cavelcade posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking for some fantasy or Sci fi by a female author for a book club that wouldn't normally read that. I've read The Left Hand of Darkness recently and was thinking of suggesting the Dispossessed, but Kindred by Octavia Butler also looks good.

Janny Wurts' To Ride Hell's Chasm is standalone!

CJ Cherryh's Pride of Chanur is also standalone, with optional sequels.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cavelcade posted:

We did The Dispossessed as a Book of the Month a couple years ago, you can find the thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812499

What I'd really suggest though is Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees, which we also did as a BOTM a few years ago, and it's out of copyright so a free download; thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781830

Piranesi is probably also a great pick but I haven't gotten to it yet.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

I read Kindred recently and it's good, but I think it was also on a lot of American high school curricula for a long time so many of them might have already read it.

I'd recommend:
- Oryx and Crake, which is IMO the better and more prescient Margaret Atwood novel than the more obvious pick of The Handmaid's Tale (which is a good book, but also a very dull one, and far less plausible a future than Oryx and Crake)
- China Mountain Zhang, a sci-fi novel I admire for simply telling its characters' personal stories within its sci-fi world (near future Chinese Communist dominated America, though it was written in 1992) rather than having them directly influence it
- The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, a fun and easily readable time travel story about a guy who keeps living his lifespan over and over (and I haven't read it, but apparently Kate Atkinson's Life After Life is a similar concept and was very popular)
- My Real Children, a Sliding Doors-esque novel about two divergent narratives after a woman in the 1940s makes a critical decision, but world history is also dramatically diverging as well as her own life
- From the Wreck. A well-meaning shapeshifting alien latches onto a 19th century shipwreck survivor and his family; this is a pretty obscure Australian book but I liked it a lot

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Cavelcade posted:

Golden Witchbreed by Mary Gentle.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

There's a non-zero amount of romance but it's a very small part of the story, at least so far.

I think even this much is overselling it. The main character and another semi-main character become close. There's some slight awkwardness about it, and I think at most one other character gets jealous of his sister spending time with the main character. And that's about it, across 7 entire books.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

They haven't done anything yet, but it's obvious where it's heading

But yes it's very minimal and hasn't blocked the plot or anything

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

The Dispossessed is a fine choice.

I'll also throw The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee on the pile of recommendations you've already gotten.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Vol 12a readthrough is complete and up at the offsite blog. Also did some work on the Dramatis personae of the SFL Archives listings.
5 SFL Vol12a update summaries in total, got to read some interesting things, also got to suffer through some absolutely boring crap I gave negative-127% about (Robert Heinlein the writer debates, the Boscone 25 debacle, more Heinlein debates, with a chaser of David Eddings and MZB).

Links to the SFL readthrough blog have been shared previously, and are in the OP.
Feeling extremely burned out after finishing SFL Vol 12a, and I know that SFL Vol 12b will be inflicting pain on me. I find Star Trek: The Next Generation painful, and Riker creeps me out/gives excessive "Dennis Reynolds IMPLICATION vibes: but the implication factor is ramped up to being shoved out of a airlock if you say NO."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hey, Riker is extremely sensitive to consent :(