Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, IBO's got a lot of the best ship combat in Gundam, I think. They spend less time getting wrecked by Gundams and more time being treated as the kings of the battlefield. Not that nothing can kill them, but it's a step up from the usual.

I believe it's only quite late in Season 2 that we first see a Gjallarhorn Halfbeak get destroyed, which is kind of amazing seeing as they're the iconic ships-of-the-line of the main antagonist faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Why only qualify Barbatos as destroyed once. It killed Hasmel but was massively wrecked. It's also odd to just qualify it as the Barbatos and not the Lupus Rex considering how they handle other things. I'd say maybe they're only counting pilot deaths but that obviously isn't the case from some of the other selections.

It's also kind of strange they don't count the Kimaris Trooper as destroyed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I believe it's only quite late in Season 2 that we first see a Gjallarhorn Halfbeak get destroyed, which is kind of amazing seeing as they're the iconic ships-of-the-line of the main antagonist faction.

First one we see wrecked is one of Iok's ships, which has the Hammerhead crash into it.

And, despite the explosion, the Hammerhead was apparently intact enough for Gjallarhorn to seize Naze's body. Post Disaster builds them to last.

Heck, we don't see any full sized ships destroyed until the back half of season 1, and even that's a self-destruct.

Oh, and if you take the numbers for IBO suit destruction as accurate, then Mikazuki accounts for 39% of all kills in the series on his own.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, and if you take the numbers for IBO suit destruction as accurate, then Mikazuki accounts for 39% of all kills in the series on his own.

:pwn:

Like he did a lot but geez, I never did the math.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

:pwn:

Like he did a lot but geez, I never did the math.

Believe it or not, that's not the highest percentage for a Gundam lead. Mika isn't part of multiple major fights, and season 2 puts emphasis on group tactics, even if Mikazuki's a monster among monsters.

If my sources are right, Amuro accounts for 55% of all kills in the original Gundam, and Uso Erwin has a staggering 65% of all kills in Victory Gundam.

That said, IBO's got a lot more wrecked Mobile Suits than most Gundam shows, going by people's charts on Reddit. Apparently, we're looking at more kills than any UC show, including Victory.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ironically for a show with such a massive body count i wouldnt be surprised if heero isnt even the highest kill count in wing. he spends a good third of the show either in like, leos and aries, or not in a mech at all.

edit: do you have a link to these charts btw?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Wouldn't Quatre have the highest individual kill count, on account of glassing colonies during his Wing Zero murderspree?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bloody Pom posted:

Wouldn't Quatre have the highest individual kill count, on account of glassing colonies during his Wing Zero murderspree?

Yeah. I was going to make a few statements about Wing being fairly bloodless by Gundam standards and then I remembered that. I think he's got more kills than entire antagonist factions.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bloody Pom posted:

Generally for this sort of thing we only count direct on screen kills, not stuff like that

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bloody Pom posted:

I think those colonies were empty, but that Trowa has the highest kill count in Wing because of all the stock footage of the Heavyarms spraying it's gatlings at mooks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

technically wouldnt the highest kill count in gundam belong to degwin? turning australia into a crater was his idea, right? gihren only got all the power once degwin lost his spark after garma died.

But yeah, people tend to only count onscreen, direct kills.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

technically wouldnt the highest kill count in gundam belong to degwin? turning australia into a crater was his idea, right? gihren only got all the power once degwin lost his spark after garma died.

But yeah, people tend to only count onscreen, direct kills.

Whoever made the call to drop the colonies in x is the highest by that metric

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember someone doing a Uso killcount and it was quite staggeringly huge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Whoever made the call to drop the colonies in x is the highest by that metric
agnika kareu's dad in ibo is the highest killcount actually, since he made mobile armors

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

The narrator for the TV show notes at one point that Degwin gave all real power to Gihren before the events of the show, and that the war broke out after that so the colony drop was presumably Gihren's idea and not Degwins. As such, Degwin was only ever really a figurehead when we see him, and for some time before that really. Degwin does say that he was content to form Side 3 in to a monarchy during the Hitler scene, and just wanted to wait for Newtypes to emerge after doing so while Gihren was the one who saw the sheer number of people in the Earthsphere as a problem and the colony drop (along with the attacks on the Sides) makes sense as a product of that outlook too.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember someone doing a Uso killcount and it was quite staggeringly huge.

I vaguely recall some charts with Uso having the highest on-screen kill count, ahead of Trowa and the number being something like 160 odd kills on screen or something. Uso shot the penis laser gun at Zanscare too, and even though Cronicle and Katejina diverted the shot somewhat, it still hit several battleships and probably killed a fair few people regarldess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly a big problem with trying to discuss killcounts is that most people really don't have the same metrics on what qualifies as a kill, not to mention the wide disparity in unit presentation. Are you counting confirmed onscreen deaths, just shootdowns of robots, when a Gundam fires a giant beam into a crowd and you see the line of explosions does each explosion count as a kill, does it count if the pilot survives, do unmanned machines count, does a machine that is disabled but retreats count as a shootdown, etc, etc.

Kira's killcount goes up a lot if you assume that machines he disables count towards him and goes down a ton if you only count confirmed kills or robots being entirely destroyed, the 00 Boys fluctuate massively if ELS count, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wing's also a hard one to count because if you don't count unmanned machines then suddenly you have to try and divine which are unmanned and which are manned, which is pretty hard once the series goes full mobile doll spam. Tauruses are *usually* unmanned and Leos are *usually* manned but there's noticeable exceptions for both.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

ironically for a show with such a massive body count i wouldnt be surprised if heero isnt even the highest kill count in wing. he spends a good third of the show either in like, leos and aries, or not in a mech at all.

edit: do you have a link to these charts btw?

Some of them, yeah. (Search for "IGLOO", should get you to the right spot.)

For other pilots, the original data is gone, but some of the totals are still available, hopefully. (Haven't verified them, though.)

And Amuro's on screen total comes from Gundam Ace so it's more likely to mean something. (However, it also knocks down his percentage a little if you compare to my earlier estimates, since it turns out some of those kills were in CCA or Zeta.)

...Although apparently Gundam Ace only gives Uso 85 Mobile Suit kills, putting Mikazuki in the lead over him. (Still behind Gundam databooks giving Heero 164 MS kills, though.) That's pretty impressive, especially since Mika puts the personal touch into all of those kills, unlike Heero or Kira's large scale beam attacks.

(Mika's count was a personal tally from watching the show. I could break it down by episode if anyone asked, but I don't have link to back it up.)

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I have put off rewatching Wing again until.I finish other Gundam shows, so my kill count for anyone is off but I definitely remember Heero getting some decent kills when he pops up with that Treize faction unit and he's in a Leo. Which is also a pretty damning and annoying mark on how Wing treats it's grunt suits since the Leo he's posted up in takes a bit a damage before Quatre comes by and is all "Let's go to Relena, I saw her in your heart after your zero system freak out in space and she's got a sweet sanctuary".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I have put off rewatching Wing again until.I finish other Gundam shows, so my kill count for anyone is off but I definitely remember Heero getting some decent kills when he pops up with that Treize faction unit and he's in a Leo. Which is also a pretty damning and annoying mark on how Wing treats it's grunt suits since the Leo he's posted up in takes a bit a damage before Quatre comes by and is all "Let's go to Relena, I saw her in your heart after your zero system freak out in space and she's got a sweet sanctuary".

The killcounts for the Wing cast get pretty insane, yes.

Also, managed to find another number for the tally, although it's a different source so reliability is suspect. Kamille apparently got 71 kills in Zeta.

But there's the usual frustration here in knowing that there's Japanese databooks that cover the killcounts for all the major pilots through Wing, and I have no way to find out what they say without blind hope someone's going to translate it, or going through a lot of hoops (and spending some money) to get the original books.

(As for IBO stats, I did tally things up for two more characters out of curiosity. Julieta Jurius has a nice solid 7 kills on screen, and Gaelio has 17 kills... if you include his two blue-on-blues. Not huge numbers, but respectable, giving them 2.7% and 6.5% of the total MS kills in the series, respectively.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 7, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The killcounts for the Wing cast get pretty insane, yes.

Also, managed to find another number for the tally, although it's a different source so reliability is suspect. Kamille apparently got 71 kills in Zeta.

But there's the usual frustration here in knowing that there's Japanese databooks that cover the killcounts for all the major pilots through Wing, and I have no way to find out what they say without blind hope someone's going to translate it, or going through a lot of hoops (and spending some money) to get the original books.

Do you know the books? I have a shameful library, and if you throw the covers up we might luck out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Do you know the books? I have a shameful library, and if you throw the covers up we might luck out.

Apparently it's a "Data Gundam" recurring feature in Gundam Ace. Might come up in data file books?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the space fight in IBO episode 7 was worth a couple of fightless episodes, though in episode 6 i was starting to feel the "there hasn't been any action in quite a while" drag

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Bloody Pom posted:

As was said the one colony he attacked was completely empty.

Uso has a big count that I remember someone tallying up to the thousands because of all the big boys he blows up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone who takes out a battleship probably gets a few dozen added to their score also. But again, theres a difference between 'kills of humans' and 'enemy mobile suits downed.'

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

On reflection, the amount of poo poo that happens in less than a year in gundam wing is absolutely crazy. The ruling power of earth changes like three times, colonies start white fang, kingdoms collapse in the span of months.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Typically a kill is treated as a vehicle kill so same applies to Gundam. Wether on not crews survive is irrelevant for the most part.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Monaghan posted:

On reflection, the amount of poo poo that happens in less than a year in gundam wing is absolutely crazy. The ruling power of earth changes like three times, colonies start white fang, kingdoms collapse in the span of months.

Everything in Wing occurs at cocaine speed. You know those Romefeller folks are just doing mad lines wearing their wigs and preachin about how the poor man just can't solve problems. This is why we need robot AI mobile suits to do all that work for us, avoids even needing the poors to die for your goals!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Monaghan posted:

My favorite is Relena dissolving the Sanct Kingdom, becoming Queen of Earth, declaring unilaterally an end to nations and disarmament, and then being deposed by Treize within what, a week tops?

That's going to be a hell of an entry in the history books.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i can stop playing gihrens greed and its starting to give me rsi and blisters help.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

i can stop playing gihrens greed and its starting to give me rsi and blisters help.

Have you tried blaming it on the misfortune of your birth?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

speaking of games, there's a Hearts of Iron Gundam mod in development. https://twitter.com/OneYearWarMod

Its not finished but it is playable, I was amazed at how they managed to solve the whole war in space and earth simultaneously thing by folding two world maps onto each other. Events largely come from 0079 and origin, but with some nods and characters from shows set later in the UC pop up too. Quattro showed up when Char ditched Zeon for example in my first play through.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Man it took somewhere around 14-17 episodes of Zeta for it to get good for my tastes.

Then again SEED was my first Gundam as it released and I haven't watched anything older than 08th MS Team and now being in progress of Zeta. (Watched most "mainline" stuff newer than SEED).

I know it was to some degree because I was a teen and SEED was somewhere around 2nd to 5th anime I watched but I really enjoyed the overly melodramatic tones, the music and presentation, even if it's a really dumb show. I should recheck the remasters at some point and see if it holds up at all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dessel posted:

Man it took somewhere around 14-17 episodes of Zeta for it to get good for my tastes.

Then again SEED was my first Gundam as it released and I haven't watched anything older than 08th MS Team and now being in progress of Zeta. (Watched most "mainline" stuff newer than SEED).

I know it was to some degree because I was a teen and SEED was somewhere around 2nd to 5th anime I watched but I really enjoyed the overly melodramatic tones, the music and presentation, even if it's a really dumb show. I should recheck the remasters at some point and see if it holds up at all.

I highly recommend War in the Pocket. It and Turn A are top three Gundam shows for me, and it's an easier watch than most old shows since, well, it's an OVA. High production values, only six episodes.

Lower on action than most Gundams, and unlike IBO it doesn't even go all-out for fight length when it does get to mech combat, but it does a good job of hitting the emotional beats it aims for.

Edit: Speaking of top tier Gundam, I noticed something clever when rewatching some IBO. When the Mobile Armor attacks Ride, it damages his Shiden's hands by cooking the ammo in its rifle.

When Chad attacks the Mobile Armor later, he drops his SMG before attacking it and only picks it up again once the beam is done firing. In other words, the show, without a line of dialog, displays logical consequences of high temperature beam weapons, then shows off characters realizing how things work and adapting to them.

That's smart writing! What's better, though, is that it's smart writing that trusts the audience to figure things out without having to be rammed over the head with it.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 9, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the fight in IBO episode 11 is the first IBO fight that i just didn't really care for

this is right around where i stopped in my previous attempts at watching IBO

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

the fight in IBO episode 11 is the first IBO fight that i just didn't really care for

this is right around where i stopped in my previous attempts at watching IBO

I rewatched it like a month ago but don’t remember what happened in what episode specifically, which one was that?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's the one where akihiro finds his brother

just watched the next episode, where his brother let himself get killed for reasons i think i get the gist of but don't really fully understand. feels like the quality of the writing really took a dive a few episodes ago

also between atra seeing naze's harem and going "when i grow up i'm gonna be in mikazuki's harem" and the introduction of mcgillis' child bride things are getting fairly uncomfortable. i'm really not surprised i dropped the show around this point previously

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 9, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Atra learning about polyamory and going "Wow this rules" is actually very good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, at least Atra's interest in polyamory comes from the healthy place of 'I'm bi, there are two people I'm very attracted to, and I'm pretty sure they like each other enough to make this work'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, at least Atra's interest in polyamory comes from the healthy place of 'I'm bi, there are two people I'm very attracted to, and I'm pretty sure they like each other enough to make this work'.

Also the less healthy place of "there's no way I could beat either of them if this turns into a competition", but considering her background, Atra having low self esteem in some regards is actually a remarkably low level of disfunction.

Just as a heads up, the next stretch has some of the slowest going in the series. It ends strong, but... it's going to be a bit before the next big fight.