Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The shot timescale over which the stoey happens is justified by how the world is shown to progress regardless of where the strawhats are and what theyre doing. so you 'know' if they do take too long the world will catch up and pass them by.

And we havent had an island that did expect the strawhats because they usually move so much faster then even news about them can go, hell they probably were at Zou before :bignews: had a chance to report the whole cake stuff.

As for ship speeds just say the new world currents are super fast and OP ships are speedboat slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm still waiting for Kaido to live up to "always bet on kaido" and "land sea or air no one is stronger"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
We have seen him oneshot Luffy. So, y'know, there's that.

Last Celebration posted:

there are no real bad Strawhats (except maybe Nami)

:mods:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

We have seen him oneshot Luffy. So, y'know, there's that.

:mods:

that was sick af but he's still felt far from "always bet on kaido" or the strongest creature yet.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

EmmyOk posted:

that was sick af but he's still felt far from "always bet on kaido" or the strongest creature yet.

if the Kabuki stuff is true, we're about to see him gently caress up everyone's day to coincide with the end of Act 3

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I mean the only ones even shown to be able to damage him so far are Oden and the Red Scabbards. Everyone else just can't hurt the dude.

Very likely the end of Act 3 , which is supposed to be when a dramatic or tragic event happens, ends with the Red Scabbards being beaten and it all falling onto Luffy/ whoever else teams up on Kaido to beat him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I’m not apologizing :colbert: Nami has good moments but she’s annoying when she does the dumb cliche “girl beats this poo poo out of guy(s) for doing something dumb. Although in retrospect that doesn’t happen a shitton, so I guess she’s just the worst strawhat (which tbh is still just the poorest billionaire relative to most shonen, especially female characters).

EmmyOk posted:

The full quote is “in a one-on-one fight, always bet on Kaido” though. It’s a whole bunch of dudes whaling on him fueled by their sheer hatred of him and loyalty towards the guy he killed, and more importantly, we haven’t even seen him use (visible) armamant haki yet, so we’re probably gonna get the cliche “heh, this has gone on long enough” before going full ham.

...wonder if you can breathe armamanted fire?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

The entire first part takes place within one year.

Ok, I can see that since they are deliberately looking for poo poo to do constantly. I guess I'm used to in-between time but honestly these people aren't loving around.

Funky Valentine posted:

I think the general ballpark that fan calculations have come up with is that everything up to the timeskip took place over the course of like four months?

:psyduck: Good lord

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I think the general ballpark that fan calculations have come up with is that everything up to the timeskip took place over the course of like four months?

you know extremely short timescales in stories used to bug me

But after 2020 its, ah, i see, my apologies

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And when you think about it, most of the major arcs take place over the course of like one or two days.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Waffleman_ posted:

And when you think about it, most of the major arcs take place over the course of like one or two days.

Alabasta is probably the island they spent the longest actual in universe time on pre-time skip, seeing as they not only spend several days travelling they also rest for a few days after their victory.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Didn't oda say in an sbs corner it was about a year?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the time between Luffy setting out to sea and the beginning of the timeskip is about just shy of four months according to these folks

https://thelibraryofohara.com/the-one-piece-timeline/

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dressrosa was 1 (one) day and then Luffy took like 4 days to recover.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bleck posted:

the time between Luffy setting out to sea and the beginning of the timeskip is about just shy of four months according to these folks

https://thelibraryofohara.com/the-one-piece-timeline/

These people follow the "it was only 2 days from the moment Luffy landed on Sabaody until the end of Punk Hazard" theory which I've always felt was incredibly flimsy as it assumes any travel time/cutaways are basically instantaneous, and that the Hats basically arrive at places then leave a handful of hours later (when I thought the entire conceit of Log Poses was that they take a few days at minimum to sync up?)

Not saying it wasn't still just a handful of days and a shitload of stuff to happen in such a short amount of time, but it could easily be 4 days to a week just based on some scene cuts during downtime/travelling and still make just as much sense. Like in my mind when they start sailing and we cut away to some other scene then cut back, several hours to a day could have passed, while this theory assumes it was just a few minutes or an hour at most.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
So I originally came to this thread as an anime-watcher, and was encouraged to go back and do the manga read. I've been going through it starting from the beginning with the Shonen Jump subscription. Everything up until the flashback introducing Sabo was really really good! For some reason, though, as soon as I hit the flashback with Grey Terminal, it was like hitting a wall. I couldn't bring myself to care about Sabo at all. And because it was a flashback, I knew that both Luffy and Ace basically had plot armor. There was no real danger, it was just a coin flip on whether Sabo would live or die, and even that was ambiguous!

I'm up to 628 now, and the extended Otohime flashback isn't doing itself any favors. I want to see more antics with the Straw Hat crew, and after so much flashback with Sabo, another multi-chapter flashback just feels so frustrating! :(

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Guy A. Person posted:

I thought the entire conceit of Log Poses was that they take a few days at minimum to sync up?

It's very variable. Cactus Island (where Whiskey Peak is) takes a few hours, but I think Little Garden's the longest we know of and that takes a whole year.

I think most were absolutely a few days, though, yeah and Water 7's a week.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

[Baseless Theorizing]
I think the government's information suppression also might have to do with that. East Blue is considered the weakest part of the world, but paradoxically, it's also birthed some of the world's most infamous people like Garp and Dragon. In order to keep up East Blue's status as the symbol of peace, the government might go an extra step in preventing people from finding out about things. It's not out of the line to think this, since they loving genocided an island just to prevent the knowledge of Ohara from spreading.

East Blue's peaceful nature also probably contributes to a lack of knowledge. Most people don't travel, and what we've seen of East Blue suggests that it's mainly full of village/town-level islands, with little technological progress. So information isn't really spread reliably. Which contributes to rumors being magnified and spread, like how Devil Fruits don't actually exist or how Arlong is supposedly equals with Jimbei.
[/Baseless Theorizing]

The One Piece world has newspapers with near-global delivery, though (IIRC Nami was able to get newspapers even on Weatheria, albeit with a few days' delay). We see people in East Blue reacting to news like the Straw Hats' new bounties and the Levely. And the WG doesn't try to cover up things like Devil Fruit powers; they broadcast the Whitebeard War on video (albeit not globally, and the technology used to broadcast it was probably fairly new).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also I think we see some transponder snails being used as radios at some point?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i do not feel as if kaido has put in one ounce of effort yet into this fight so yeah when he tries i think we're about to see why he's called the strongest creature on earth

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a good story reason for the scabbards to get some hits in, but so far they've stuck him slightly in an existing wound and nicked his mouth a little. They haven't actually achieved much yet, and even if he can't hit them with fire, he can probably bodyslam them like he's swatting a fly. Kaido tanked multiple hard hits from Luffy without blinking, he's got plenty left in him yet.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

he is going to Beat The poo poo Out Of The Scabbards

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

however i think the page where denjiro and kinemon look absolutely lost in rage and all the scabbards slice up kaido should go down as an absolutely legendary one piece page

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
the longer a time frame an adventure goes on for without reasonable offscreened downtime the more you have to figure out how and when the protagonists are eating/drinking/sleeping/pooping

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

The One Piece world has newspapers with near-global delivery, though (IIRC Nami was able to get newspapers even on Weatheria, albeit with a few days' delay). We see people in East Blue reacting to news like the Straw Hats' new bounties and the Levely. And the WG doesn't try to cover up things like Devil Fruit powers; they broadcast the Whitebeard War on video (albeit not globally, and the technology used to broadcast it was probably fairly new).

The Whitebeard broadcast was because they wanted it serve as propaganda because they were sure they'd win, it just so happened that things did not go the way they planned at all (Blackbeard escaped and Whitebeard confirmed the existence of One Piece).

Also didn't they suppress information about the existence of Roger's son?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Wasn’t it the WG tried killing off Roger’s entire family tree and waited 9 months for any potential offspring

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The Whitebeard broadcast was because they wanted it serve as propaganda because they were sure they'd win, it just so happened that things did not go the way they planned at all (Blackbeard escaped and Whitebeard confirmed the existence of One Piece).

Sure, but my point is that they had no problem with the public seeing logia users, giants, etc. fighting, or even with publicly revealing the specific abilities of the Admirals. Those things aren't secrets.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They shut off the cameras for whitebeard after it started to go off the rails and then buggy and his lads started filming again

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

Sure, but my point is that they had no problem with the public seeing logia users, giants, etc. fighting, or even with publicly revealing the specific abilities of the Admirals. Those things aren't secrets.

"Don't come to the Grand Line, or you'll be eaten by a hundred foot tall giant. Our resident Lava Man can only protect you so much." ~ a message from a definitely trustworthy and not corrupt government

we're living in a global pandemic that most of the North American population seems to believe isn't real, and you're out here complaining that normal people in One Piece don't believe that the head of the military was a guy who could turn into a gigantic glowing Buddha statue to smite his enemies?

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I’m just going to assume chappy 999 is when the scabbards get wiped out and act 3 ends. Then some major reverie reveal happens in chapter 1000.

Reverie is still happening right?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
It already all happened within the intermission, garp took Neptune/shirahoshi back home from mariejois

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bleck posted:

"Don't come to the Grand Line, or you'll be eaten by a hundred foot tall giant. Our resident Lava Man can only protect you so much."
Considering what the Grand Line is like this isn't really much of an exaggeration.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’m just going to assume chappy 999 is when the scabbards get wiped out and act 3 ends. Then some major reverie reveal happens in chapter 1000.

Reverie is still happening right?

Nope, it's already resolved, though we haven't seen the full fallout of it yet, like what happened to Vivi and her family yet, or what happened to Sano and the Revolutionaries that were there.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
maybe it'll be a Kaido flashback. We still don't really know all that much about his background besides broad strokes

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Bleck posted:

"Don't come to the Grand Line, or you'll be eaten by a hundred foot tall giant. Our resident Lava Man can only protect you so much." ~ a message from a definitely trustworthy and not corrupt government

we're living in a global pandemic that most of the North American population seems to believe isn't real, and you're out here complaining that normal people in One Piece don't believe that the head of the military was a guy who could turn into a gigantic glowing Buddha statue to smite his enemies?

The pandemic showed us that not only will people act as selfishly as every fiction writer ever has depicted, they will actually behave far worse than that by aggressively and violently denying reality. It's not too much of a stretch for me now to say that even though there is a literal databook for devil fruits, people would still deny their existence.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Considering what the Grand Line is like this isn't really much of an exaggeration.

not saying it is, but I am saying that stories of the Grand Line likely sound ridiculous to normal Blue folks

it's not that people don't know, it's probably that they just straight up don't believe it

Asuron posted:

The pandemic showed us that not only will people act as selfishly as every fiction writer ever has depicted, they will actually behave far worse than that by aggressively and violently denying reality. It's not too much of a stretch for me now to say that even though there is a literal databook for devil fruits, people would still deny their existence.

yeah exactly!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Devil Fruits are NOT real, they're complete make-belief. You've been watching too much of the magic telesnail again!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Where would a Devil Fruit even come from, some kind of Gum-Gum Tree?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Devil fruits are real but they're manufactured on a secret island by a scientist whose actions are funded and enabled by agents of the government. These sick bastards experiment on children!
The mainstream Morgans media wants you to believe that devil fruits grow on trees, but my reliable sources tell me that Morgans himself is a devil fruit user!

Protect yourself and your loved ones by purchasing my genuine seastone supplements, guaranteed to keep the satanic deep state devil fruit users away from your children. Only 65,000 berries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Will of Q