Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

In both of my games the Byzantines did eventually collapse (without me doing any more than nibbling on their borders, I didn't sack Constantinople or anything), so that's something. Francia for whatever reason can also never manage to stay stable, despite being an incredibly wealthy and developed region. Honestly the biggest offenders I've seen are the Seljuks in 1066. Not sure if my experiences are an outlier, I did notice the HRE was stable in my 1066 game too, though it didn't especially grow much beyond its starting game borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

game needs an Infamy/Threatening system

even though it's going to be referred to as "badboy points" (ugh)

only way to rein in blobbing

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Peachfart posted:

Is it just my game, or does CK3 blob even worse than CK2? The HRE owns it's territory and most of Spain, and the Byzantines own all of the middle east all the way down to central north africa. And every other nation is just insanely stable.

Did they take out the 'vassal wants your title' opinion malice? I remember in CKII all of my vassals wanted the next title above them for a good -20 or -40 opinion hit depending on level.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
In my ongoing non-ironman game Byz was inherited by a Russian dynasty which eventually caused it to split in half in a pretty ugly way, the other half being K. of Epirus. Before it was inherited by Russians it had gone to the king of Georgia which was pretty cool and somewhat believable, until a non-matrilineal marriage forced the Russian thing.

Really hope the first expansion is Byz focused. Gimme all those minor titles again. Or some sort of co-emperor mechanic.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Excelzior posted:

I'd rather not copy the worst Paradox mechanic. Anti blobbing should mean more internal issues to focus on that need time/money/soldiers to deal with. The bigger you are the more your gameplay should be on internal struggles. It would fit the period better and be more interesting than an arbitrary threat mechanic.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eimi posted:

I'd rather not copy the worst Paradox mechanic. Anti blobbing should mean more internal issues to focus on that need time/money/soldiers to deal with. The bigger you are the more your gameplay should be on internal struggles. It would fit the period better and be more interesting than an arbitrary threat mechanic.

See, I agree with you, except the AI cannot possibly be made to understand such subtleties nor to simulate it within its own realms. you need a numerical value and if >value, then consequence.

Without it both ai and players alike will forever blob as their resources snowball

strong bird
May 12, 2009

im considering making an alternate start mod where the karlings dont exist cause im tired of them either coalescing into a giant unstoppable blob or collapsing almost immediately into tiny duchy-sized kingdoms that france never recovers from

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

strong bird posted:

im considering making an alternate start mod where the karlings dont exist cause im tired of them either coalescing into a giant unstoppable blob or collapsing almost immediately into tiny duchy-sized kingdoms that france never recovers from

Iron Century start pls pdox.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Okay, glad to hear it isn't just me with horrible blob issues. Also while the AI seems to be much better this time with positioning itself to take advantage of the terrain... It seems to do the exact same thing over and over. You'd think the 4th time they send a boatload of soldiers to my capital with an army waiting 2 spots away to obliterate them that they might try something different.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I will counter your mod by putting all Ragnarssons into a single dynasty.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Oh, and the AI is absolutely terrified of any engagement that they aren't sure they can win. Which is funny when the first year of a crusade is 20 nations all circling the area they want to invade but too scared to land, or immediately going back to sea if any enemies are seen.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I do that too

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Excelzior posted:

Nah, what it needs is a time-distance based limitation to how effective your rule is, and make periphery areas more likely to break away.

Access to information and communication is really the biggest problem in forming a highly centralized state, but it's been completely removed here (and in Paradox games in general). There is no itinerant monarchy, no need to appoint counts Palatine to run poo poo in your absence, you have perfect information on what your vassals are doing at all times, and your armies teleport around the map. EU4 honestly has a lot of the same problem, where how your armies can move has basically nothing to do with the local geography.

Starting with making anyone who isn't your de jure vassal take 2-3 times the short reign penalty would be a good start. And maybe giving them free reign to just break off unless you can keep them in line by hook or by crook.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 7, 2020

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Eimi posted:

I think the “threat” mechanic could return, but in an an inverse function. Your powerful vassals get huge opinion bumps of each other and greedy/envious vassals get bonuses to their negative opinion of their liege. Hopefully leading to large blocs in your empire forming against their liege.

“You just took over half of Europe in a single lifetime? Hope you gave some to your powerful vassals....” that imo is the devils circle most players would struggle to avoid.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I think it would be really cool if the game had flexible fog of war, even inside your own realm - as a medieval ruler you don't *know* what's going on outside your throne room and need to rely on messengers. Data should be progressively less certain and updated at progressively longer intervals as you radiate outwards, factoring in how organized your realm is and technological advances made.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Does anyone pre-emptively retaliate on factions? I murdered one guy who wanted a faction, but then one of my kings started one up. In lieu of a “loving try me” button, I jumped to the end, tried to imprison him, and then crushed him in the war that followed. Then I stripped all titles.

I did not appreciate his manners.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I really have never understood why they don't just have distance penalties in CK, it seems so obvious that distant, overseas, and non-contiguous vassals would be more inclined towards wanting independence, and it could help solve a lot of blobbing problems. Make the penalties worse the lower their rank, so it encourages you to consolidate them and have bigger, supervassals ruling more distant lands.

Then they could allow you to offset that to an extent by granting special rights and reduced obligations. The feudal contract system had so much potential, but as is, it's only purpose is to allow vassals to extract things from their liege, but there's almost no reason for the liege to ever concede anything if they don't have to, because the opinion bonuses are either negligible or non-existent. Let me buy loyalty with privileges

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
There's a ton of diffrent methods to sort out A.I blobbing that I hope they give a look at. Stuff like fiddling around with opinion modifiers and making factions fire off easier would all probably go a long way to helping A.I realms implode on a regular enough basis.

Limiting player expansion is trickier, as not only is any skilled player going to have a massive advantage over any neighbours for a variety of reasons (significantly they're not bound at all by traits or in game opinion), but also any effective limitation should be provide an interesting challenge to deal with as opposed to being an impassable wall.

The above is why I think a mechanic like Threat or Agressive Expansion from EUIV wouldn't be the best way to limit blobbing. The issue with A.I blobs is that they're too stable as opposed to them expanding rapidly; in my games at least they tended gradually expand with the issue being that the slow expansion never stalled out. On the other hand for the player AE just presents a timer that you have to wait to tick down, really only adding a delay to your conquests rather then halting them or causing your realm to contract.

The best option here is to instead try and make realms more unstable from internal threats. Managing your relations with your vassels and mediating between them should be as important as dealing with external threats, and right now the ease at which it is done is probably the main driving factor behind blobbing.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think MaA's not having any like, gathering time or anything plays into the stability of at least player controlled huge blobs if not AI ones. Once you have a large enough realm you can just raise and disband your regiments anywhere in your realm and just snipe vassal capitals that are rebelling.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

idk why theres even supply limits and stuff when you have invisible supersonic aircraft transporting your army of 30,000 across the known world instantly. the combat really sucks, and the MaA system sucks too. there should be a game rule for ck2-style army raising and then make the ck3 version ironman disabling. the more i play the less i want to actually engage with war at all since the AI is too stupid to abuse the same mechanics that im forced to abuse simply by playing. ck has never been about Tactical Brilliance or mechanically difficult or whatever but its like im just wasting my time and i may as well win any war instantly with yesmen

strong bird fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 8, 2020

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

JustaDamnFool posted:

There's a ton of diffrent methods to sort out A.I blobbing that I hope they give a look at. Stuff like fiddling around with opinion modifiers and making factions fire off easier would all probably go a long way to helping A.I realms implode on a regular enough basis.

Limiting player expansion is trickier, as not only is any skilled player going to have a massive advantage over any neighbours for a variety of reasons (significantly they're not bound at all by traits or in game opinion), but also any effective limitation should be provide an interesting challenge to deal with as opposed to being an impassable wall.

The above is why I think a mechanic like Threat or Agressive Expansion from EUIV wouldn't be the best way to limit blobbing. The issue with A.I blobs is that they're too stable as opposed to them expanding rapidly; in my games at least they tended gradually expand with the issue being that the slow expansion never stalled out. On the other hand for the player AE just presents a timer that you have to wait to tick down, really only adding a delay to your conquests rather then halting them or causing your realm to contract.

The best option here is to instead try and make realms more unstable from internal threats. Managing your relations with your vassels and mediating between them should be as important as dealing with external threats, and right now the ease at which it is done is probably the main driving factor behind blobbing.

CK2's defensive pacts were a lot like aggressive expansion, but with even less nuance. It was a really brute force solution, not good at all. I'm pretty sure a lot of people hated them, I turned them off forever after the first game I tried them.

I 100% agree that the pressure should mostly be coming from within, having complex internal politics is what makes CK unique compared to EU. Holding together a big empire should be hard.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Distance penalties don’t really do much because winning a war requires you to be aggressive and to win completely

So you would have to own a ton of overseas provinces for it to do anything

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

strong bird posted:

But then this couldn't happen

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

strong bird posted:

I said it before but worth repeating: an Alexiad start would be incredible, as it sort of sets the stage for some of the massive shifts in power that happen over the period (Anatolia slowly becoming Turkish, the Middle East fractured for Crusades, but wealthy enough to slowly push Crusades back eventually, some of the main Iberian blocs, France constantly fighting the HRE and Norman England), while still having a lot of opportunity for things to go off rails.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A bit of a warning to those using Golden Obligations though, while it seems to raise your ransom amounts to 300 (or whatever your Demand Payment amount is, I believe it's income-scaled), when I started paying attention to how much gold I was getting it seemed to not be 300 for every ransom. It seemed to be the default amount instead, despite the tooltips assuring me at every point that I was receiving 300 gold.

On the other hand, ransoming them for a hook and then demanding payment for the hook does get the full 300 gold. So unfortunately the fiddly bit is still necessary if you want your gold.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea ransoms with Golden Obligations are way more broken than they were in the release version.

Beamed posted:

I said it before but worth repeating: an Alexiad start would be incredible, as it sort of sets the stage for some of the massive shifts in power that happen over the period (Anatolia slowly becoming Turkish, the Middle East fractured for Crusades, but wealthy enough to slowly push Crusades back eventually, some of the main Iberian blocs, France constantly fighting the HRE and Norman England), while still having a lot of opportunity for things to go off rails.

Yeah 1071 is a straight up better start than 1066.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

I will counter your mod by putting all Ragnarssons into a single dynasty.

I'm surprised that they didn't get made as individual houses of an overarching dynasty.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speaking of other things that don't work:

This would seem to suggest that leased temples under a theocratic clerical tradition are supposed to provide the person leasing them with all of their non-income/levy bonuses. This doesn't seem to work, but if it did work it'd be really freaking overpowered. Oh hey even more slots for buffing my MAA!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So, uh, is there no option to change the start date? That is super weird.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Peachfart posted:

So, uh, is there no option to change the start date? That is super weird.

They have the two hardcoded ones - the Old Gods start, which was 2nd best in CK2, and the Battle at the University of Stanford, England, in 1066. Paradox rightly dropped selecting whatever date you wanted because it's a giant pain in the rear end to maintain.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I outlived my daughter and her daughter and was educating my great granddaughter and heir. For some reason I couldn't pick am education focus? It would let me end guardianship and resume it but not change it. My last ruler lived just long enough to feudilize and research partition so now my realm didn't split apart.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I notice that now your kids themselves don't wander off to visit foreign courts as much, but I had a particularly long lived king with grandkids and great grandkids, and they were constantly off visiting other countries by themselves at age 7 so I couldn't educate my future heirs. Very annoying. Ended up using debug mode to force them back to my court just so I could give them educations. I hope that gets fixed soon too.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

A God drat Ghost posted:

Ended up using debug mode to force them back to my court just so I could give them educations.
What's also really weird about doing this is they end up in both courts at once. Like you are able to have all the usual interactions, but they're still listed as in whatever foreign court they were in, and are listed in your Court menu as outside your court.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One fun way to play the game is to not teleport your supersoldiers around until you get bored by the lack of challenge and instead just keep a couple of rally points at most

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

One fun way to play the game is to not teleport your supersoldiers around until you get bored by the lack of challenge and instead just keep a couple of rally points at most

That really just makes the inevitable take longer. It doesn't generally change much.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No, you’re right. EU4 also had the problem where eventually you get so big that nearly every single war is both an assured decisive victory while also being a pain to manage. They really should let you turn your army over to the AI and tell them, “Hey just win this war for me”.

Luckily I haven’t reached that point in any of my CK3 playthroughs yet, but many of the screenshots of the huge empires posted in this thread make me think, “God that just looks tedious to manage”.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

lurksion posted:

What's also really weird about doing this is they end up in both courts at once. Like you are able to have all the usual interactions, but they're still listed as in whatever foreign court they were in, and are listed in your Court menu as outside your court.

Huh, I haven't noticed that, they seem to just be in my court after that. As long as they can get educated and I can choose a focus I don't really care, it's just annoying to have a dullard in the family because they somehow teleported to Mars.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Jay Rust posted:

No, you’re right. EU4 also had the problem where eventually you get so big that nearly every single war is both an assured decisive victory while also being a pain to manage. They really should let you turn your army over to the AI and tell them, “Hey just win this war for me”.

Luckily I haven’t reached that point in any of my CK3 playthroughs yet, but many of the screenshots of the huge empires posted in this thread make me think, “God that just looks tedious to manage”.

It's really not that bad. The only tedious thing to me is the religious/cultural rebellions and how it can take a goddamn century to convert new territory.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Jay Rust posted:

I was listening to a talk by a game designer where they briefly argued that Crusader Kings would be a better game were it just stripped entirely of the grand strategy elements and focused on the characters, and I've started kind of agreeing. The map is appealing as a visual thing for sure; it's fun to zoom out once in a while, look at the world and see how things are going. But the actual mechanics of the warfare seem so completely tangential to the point; they're just there because that's what people expect from these games or something, but I feel like could impact the game just as well if they were just event based like pilgrimages and such, and that'd leave a lot of dev time for the more interesting character based things and also mean we'd never have to deal with the micro.

I know that for a lot of Paradox's existing audience the wargame is a vital part of the experience, but imagining a medieval court intrigue simulator that was devoid of that from the start, maybe sims-like with more involved representations of palaces and castles and poo poo instead, and I think it could be if anything more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Koramei posted:

I was listening to a talk by a game designer where they briefly argued that Crusader Kings would be a better game were it just stripped entirely of the grand strategy elements and focused on the characters, and I've started kind of agreeing. The map is appealing as a visual thing for sure; it's fun to zoom out once in a while, look at the world and see how things are going. But the actual mechanics of the warfare seem so completely tangential to the point; they're just there because that's what people expect from these games or something, but I feel like could impact the game just as well if they were just event based like pilgrimages and such, and that'd leave a lot of dev time for the more interesting character based things and also mean we'd never have to deal with the micro.

I know that for a lot of Paradox's existing audience the wargame is a vital part of the experience, but imagining a medieval court intrigue simulator that was devoid of that from the start, maybe sims-like with more involved representations of palaces and castles and poo poo instead, and I think it could be if anything more popular.

It is not just the warfare but creating tags and alternate history that is immensely appealing. I feel like it should be a different/spin-off game if they want to go down that path, because I wouldn't play it.