Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Elviscat posted:

In-floor radiant heat is probably the best way to heat a house, if you have the $$$

I don’t think it should even more expensive for a new build.

Another advantage of underfloor heating is that it uses lower temperature water than radiators, which makes for higher efficiency when using things like heat pumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

toplitzin posted:

How long til someone falls out of that master "porch door"
poo poo I kinda wish I had something like that, in order to get furniture up to my room you gotta make a loving 180 degree turn on the stairs and then a 90 degree on the top

although i'm not sure renting some kind of lifter to get at it would really be in my budget

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Build it with an overhanging beam so you can use a block and tackle.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Platystemon posted:

What’s funny is that they traditionally don’t wear socks in Russia. They wrap their feet with flat pieces of cloth called portyanki.

I'm now expecting a lengthy thread de-rail about the definition of a sock.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm now expecting a lengthy thread de-rail about the definition of a sock.

Is a sock a sandwich?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Vindolanda posted:

Is a sock a sandwich?

Only if you wrap it in a tortilla.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
A sock creates a foot burrito.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

What’s funny is that they traditionally don’t wear socks in Russia. They wrap their feet with flat pieces of cloth called portyanki.

What do they masturbate into?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

wooger posted:

I don’t think it should even more expensive for a new build.

Another advantage of underfloor heating is that it uses lower temperature water than radiators, which makes for higher efficiency when using things like heat pumps.

I know it's a ton of labor to set up all the piping and stuff, but now that I think about it, maybe not more than ductwork?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I know it's a ton of labor to set up all the piping and stuff, but now that I think about it, maybe not more than ductwork?
You can get underlayment that has channels for the tubing already in it, so I don't think it's that terrible.

My parents installed it in their cement slab for a house in upstate NY and their entire HVAC system is some tubing in the pad (just tied to the rebar before it was poured, I believe), a manifold, and a tankless hot water heater. And I guess if you want to be pedantic, a wood stove and some ceiling fans.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Build it with an overhanging beam so you can use a block and tackle.

...and? This was the easy way to get hay into hay lofts back in the day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
And unironically use it to hoist furniture into the master bedroom.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

And unironically use it to hoist furniture fetlife members into the master bedroom second floor sex dungeon.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Just on it's own that pulley block could hold a sweet gently caress swing. Though I always thought that sex dungeons were found below ground?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Just on it's own that pulley block could hold a sweet gently caress swing. Though I always thought that sex dungeons were found below ground?

There's a joke here about being a cave dwelling goon but I just can't dig it out

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

BonerGhost posted:

There's a joke here about being a cave dwelling goon but I just can't dig it out

Despite the chains, I guarantee no sex happened in this dungeon.

https://imgur.com/a/av0QJwh

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

corgski posted:

If I was a computer, that would be terrifying

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BonerGhost posted:

There was that thread where the goon wanted to hand dig his underground rape dungeon ' server room'. I think we all know what was Going on there.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Platystemon posted:

When the homeowners get too fat for EMTs to carry down the stairs, they can show up in front with a lift.

I used to work with a guy that broke his ankle on a pallet that broke. Problem was he weighed about 350. Solution was that there was an overhead crane in the bay he broke his ankle in....

I felt so bad for the guy as he had to hold onto a drat crane hoist to help get onto the stretcher.

Silver lining is eventually his doctor told him if he kept up his lifestyle he was going to die and lost like 150 lbs and quit smoking.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Underfloor heating is common enough in Scandinavia that my great grandfather added it in the bathroom when he built his own house in the '50s. Still works fine, though the modern stuff uses more and finer heating wires; it has a couple of hot spots. Nothing extreme, but you don't want to stand on them for more than twenty seconds.

The 1990's city block I live in now doesn't have any, but there are limits to how cold your floors get when there are multiple heated apartments below you.

I wonder if there is any connection between the different interest in underfloor heating and wall-to-wall carpeting between here and the US? It sort of seems like they try to solve the same problem.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

corgski posted:

Thanks for this, I had only ever seen the picture with the creepy bed in it, never knew it was part of a series.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Ha ha, what?

The radiant baseboard heat really put this top tier

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
My dad back on the day built a garage with underfloor heating and it was a massive boon because the concrete floor wasn't sapping the heat of t of your soul 8 months a year. That said, we had a lot of reasons to be in the garage, so cost benefit.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thanks bro

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Jows posted:

I used to work with a guy that broke his ankle on a pallet that broke. Problem was he weighed about 350. Solution was that there was an overhead crane in the bay he broke his ankle in....

I felt so bad for the guy as he had to hold onto a drat crane hoist to help get onto the stretcher.

Silver lining is eventually his doctor told him if he kept up his lifestyle he was going to die and lost like 150 lbs and quit smoking.

Funeral home supply companies now sell modified engine hoists to load people into caskets.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Heated floors are quite common in Korea, which has serious winters, and less common in Japan. Water floor heating cheaper running cost than electric floor heating, but electric is more adjustable, and easier to install during a remodel.

https://suumo.jp/article/oyakudachi/oyaku/remodel/rm_knowhow/yukadanbou/

12x15 ft room, 8 hrs/day, 1 month
Water Installation $5674 Use $39/month
Electric Installation $6426 Use $68/month

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

we have neither lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jows posted:

One of my former bosses had a massive stroke inside a factory mezzanine office and maintenance had to hurridly cut the guardrails off so they could bring him down on a forklift.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

peanut posted:

We always lived in rentals in California and the lack of overhead lighting annoyed me the most.

My grandmother had a house in Austin, probably built in the 70s, that had no overhead lights, except in the kitchen and bathrooms. The lower half of every outlet in every room was wired to the wall switch for that room.

also:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

HelleSpud posted:

Funeral home supply companies now sell modified engine hoists to load people into caskets.

Patient lifts in a hospital setting have been a thing for a long time.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Empty Sandwich posted:

My grandmother had a house in Austin, probably built in the 70s, that had no overhead lights, except in the kitchen and bathrooms. The lower half of every outlet in every room was wired to the wall switch for that room

Dual outlets are typically horizontal here, I read this and spent too long wondering why somebody would want a switch that disconnects all their earth pins.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

uvar posted:

Dual outlets are typically horizontal here, I read this and spent too long wondering why somebody would want a switch that disconnects all their earth pins.

For when that pesky GFI just won't stop tripping!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Finally got my house painted.

Before Remodel:

After Remodel:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

StormDrain posted:

Patient lifts in a hospital setting have been a thing for a long time.

Hell, my county has an ambulance that is specially designed for bariatric patients. It has a 1500lb winch in the patient compartment to pull the stretcher in when the patient is too large to manually roll the patient up the ramp.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Hell, my county has an ambulance that is specially designed for bariatric patients. It has a 1500lb winch in the patient compartment to pull the stretcher in when the patient is too large to manually roll the patient up the ramp.

This sounds like a rollback ambulance. I could have used one even years ago when I was still a medic. Instead we had airbags that we could dump for loading. Sometimes it wasn't enough.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Finally got my house painted.

Before Remodel:

After Remodel:

:krad: looking fresh

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Perhaps late for underfloor heating chat, but since I was very recently flat hunting: In Germany, underfloor heating seems to have become more common for newer apartments, though it depends for whole houses. There are both the regular water tubes and electric options.

My parents have it in the living room and bathroom of their house, but that was an addon. My grandparents have it in their rented flat, and my current rented flat (built in the mid-90s) also has it, as do many newer places I know. Underfloor heating is fantastic since it's more evenly spreading heat.

I wonder if it has to do partially with the type of flooring used, since it traditionally didn't get along very well with certain types of wooden floors?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Motronic posted:

This sounds like a rollback ambulance. I could have used one even years ago when I was still a medic. Instead we had airbags that we could dump for loading. Sometimes it wasn't enough.

Most of the rigs around here have Stryker Power Load cots, which are battery/pneumatic and can lift up to 750lbs. They're an absolute back saver, but sometimes just not enough...

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
one of the houses I lived in as a kid had radiant heat in all the ceilings. this struck me as profoundly and variously stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Empty Sandwich posted:

one of the houses I lived in as a kid had radiant heat in all the ceilings. this struck me as profoundly and variously stupid.

It was meant for the floor ABOVE silly :v:

One floor's floor is another floor's ceiling.