Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If Ace Attorney and Randy Pitchford have taught us anything it's that magicians are inherently evil beings with no sense of empathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if we'll ever see those other three psychos that got arrested during the Summer Camp attack again. Muscular and Moonfish probably don't have much more to them, but I always wondered what the deal was with that Mustard kid.

He's literally just a school shooter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Every magician I've known has been a dick.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

Man, heroes with entertainment quirks must make a killing in the industry

Imagine being able to actually saw people in half without harming them

who would watch that? there's no point to magic if the answer to "how'd he do that" is just "he used his inborn superpower"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Hey it's still cool to see the guy who can turn flowers into doves turn flowers into doves.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Elfgames posted:

who would watch that? there's no point to magic if the answer to "how'd he do that" is just "he used his inborn superpower"

You posted this to an audience of shonen readers :v:

Sometimes the spectacle is all we want.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Elfgames posted:

Tbh I could hypothetically see it as being more hype to an audience, like if you’re good enough at slight of hand then the audience is gonna be wondering what kind of quirk specifically that you used and assuming it’s some crazy poo poo like that one guy’s not-Stand in Hunter x Hunter that creates portals to a pocket dimension the size of a house.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh I could hypothetically see it as being more hype to an audience, like if you’re good enough at slight of hand then the audience is gonna be wondering what kind of quirk specifically that you used and assuming it’s some crazy poo poo like that one guy’s not-Stand in Hunter x Hunter that creates portals to a pocket dimension the size of a house.

We need a kid with Bungee Gum as a quirk as well

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I’m almost thinking his backstory is gonna involve him snapping from nobody wanting to see a normal rear end magician anymore

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only form of live entertainment in the MHA world that has survived the advent of Quirks completely unchanged is wrestling.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Half of Dracula posted:

We need a kid with Bungee Gum as a quirk as well

The power of rubber and gum is the quirk singularity.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Monoma vs mineta might as well be chrollo vs hisoka

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Last Celebration posted:

This is how Zatanna works. She can do literal world altering magic but is also just a stage magician who uses props and sleight of hand like a regular magician.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Two Tone Shoes posted:

This is how Zatanna works. She can do literal world altering magic but is also just a stage magician who uses props and sleight of hand like a regular magician.

I remember in a episode of Justice League featuring her. Her shows are normal stage magic except for one trick. She likes to show one actually magic trick each show.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Last Celebration posted:

It's definitely be about misdirection of the magician's quirk, yeah. Make the audience think you have quirk a using sleight of hand etc, then fool them by seemingly using quirk b. Could get especially tricky with assistants' quirks being added to the mix. If the audience thinks your quirk is levitation, it'll be that much more baffling when you shoot lasers out of your eyes and then re-arrange someone's limbs or whatever.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

One time I went on a double date to a magic show and the magician went to people's tables to chitchat before the show. He tried to sell us Bitcoin.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the official translation is out and I'm really not down with quirks being mystical things with ghosts in them. imagine how wack it would be if the gum gum fruit's previous wielders talked to Luffy. he'd hate that

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the official translation is out and I'm really not down with quirks being mystical things with ghosts in them. imagine how wack it would be if the gum gum fruit's previous wielders talked to Luffy. he'd hate that

Especially considering the last guy to have it was a sexy murder clown.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Link to the official translation
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-287/chapter/21407?action=read

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m fine with this revelation because its only literally two guys who could ever experience these ghosts

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Going back to Vigilantes, what was Mirko wearing on her head? A takoyaki helmet?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Pretty sure that’s specifically to do with how All for One steals quirks, given quirks are considered an integral part of a person on a genetic level it makes sense that stealing a quirk the way All for One does leads to him also effectively creating a mental clone of the person who had the quirk. So it’s not that quirks have ghosts, it’s that All for One and One for All leaves “imprints” of these people as the Quirks are moved and shared, I bet when All for One gives people quirks they don’t get the ghosts either, it’s unique to him and his brother.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
All Quirks carrying the imprint of their original bearer seems fine to me. It's not something that has relevance for anyone other than the bearers of OFA and AFO, (and maybe the people who get gifted quirks by AFO) and it explains the ghosts inside Deku. And now we know Shigaraki has nega-ghosts. Karma!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's not really any different from genetic memory from the AssCreed games, which was still a somewhat scientific phenomenon. Unless they get into an actual mystical explanation that's what I'll assume it to be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love the official translation's delivery on a specific line. It's so dismissive. :allears:

Wow! A dead person! Who happens to be your grandmother!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All For One is very good at being an rear end in a top hat.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shigaraki: I'M NOT CRAZY, YOU'RE CRAZY! ESPECIALLY YOU, GHOST OF SENSEI!
All For One: Eyyyy!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mystic Mongol posted:

Especially considering the last guy to have it was a sexy murder clown.

I think you mean an old British Gentleman who likes to drink tea.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fabricated posted:

All For One is very good at being an rear end in a top hat.

I legit love All for One. He is incredible villain by pretty much any metric.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dabi is so pumped to tear down society.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lt. Lizard posted:

I legit love All for One. He is incredible villain by pretty much any metric.
He's such a petty bitch, and it works for a badguy to be honest. Everything that comes out of his mouth is meant to be as cutting as humanly possible, and the way it's written/translated even conveys well how he tries to get into peoples' heads (literally+figuratively) to come up with what will hurt them the most.

Most badguys just rant about their master plan/goal, All For One only ever opens his mouth to poo poo on the people he hates and that feels a lot more real to me. I mean, if I was him I'd say what he said this chapter- it's obvious the good guys don't give a poo poo about my "dream" or goal or whatever and wouldn't care about me ranting about it, so I may as well stick the knife in and say the most hurtful poo poo possible.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Translator Trivia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Caleb noting "individuality" being a literal translation of the word used for quirks reminds me of the godawful translation of the first chapter way before Viz picked it up that did just that and it was SO BAD. Extremely good call in translating it with a one-syllable word.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fabricated posted:

All For One only ever opens his mouth to poo poo on the people he hates and that feels a lot more real to me. I mean, if I was him I'd say what he said this chapter- it's obvious the good guys don't give a poo poo about my "dream" or goal or whatever and wouldn't care about me ranting about it, so I may as well stick the knife in and say the most hurtful poo poo possible.

I, too, think more villains should be like GLaDOS.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
idk how much i buy the whole "oh its really just a genetic imprint of the quirk" thing because then it seems extra bizarre that the Force Ghosts can uh, interact with one another

this is still an aspect of the story i dont' like terribly much

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

OFA and AFO have a second cousin once removed with a related quirk and he cannot understand why every other month he gets pulled into a hellish dreamscape where strangers argue with each other.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He's been just off-panel the entire time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elfgames posted:

Oh no, a third faction in the Cgi vs Practical Effects argument for people to fight over!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 11, 2020

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Going back to Vigilantes, what was Mirko wearing on her head? A takoyaki helmet?

Yes! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tbp posted:

idk how much i buy the whole "oh its really just a genetic imprint of the quirk" thing because then it seems extra bizarre that the Force Ghosts can uh, interact with one another

this is still an aspect of the story i dont' like terribly much

You can control people in this world with mind powers but force ghosts are what you draw the line at?