Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Olesh posted:

It really strongly reminded me of the earlier portions of Gideon the Ninth. I picked it up a couple of hours ago on the basis of this recommendation and I'll be keeping an eye out for the sequel.

It also reminded me a little bit of Sunshine by Robin McKinley in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NERQRPI/

Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations #1) by Michael J Sullivan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XWBUKK/

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

The second Baru Cormorant book is really hard to get into. I'm half way through it and it's just washing over me and through me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lpzie posted:

The second Baru Cormorant book is really hard to get into. I'm half way through it and it's just washing over me and through me.

Same but its apparently worth it according to the thread so I am pushing through.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It kind of sucks imo, structural and pacing mess.

minema
May 31, 2011
I'm packing the house for moving and I found my old copy of Last of The Sky Pirates, one of the Edge Chronicle books. Did anyone else read these as a child? I think they were one of the founding influences of my love of fantasy and flicking through them now and seeing the illustrations gave me such a vivid jolt of nostalgia. I don't think I have the rest of them any more but I'm sort of tempted to buy the full set again since they're definitely going to be better in physical copies due to the illustrations. Just such an inventive and we'll realised world.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Lpzie posted:

The same happened to me, I guess yo may have started it right after the first one, which makes the differencs even more stark.

There are some good passages, but yeah, it may be the rougher of the three. The meandering flashbacks and other parts make it drag.

BUT it's totally worth it!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

It kind of sucks imo, structural and pacing mess.

Your problem is that you put all the best stuff in the second half. The book's problem is that the second half is now known as "volume 3". This was not foreseeable, though, so don't beat yourself over the head with a big stick.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
I liked Baru 2: hot dates. It flows better if you read it with book 3 for sure, I have reread it just before 3 and it was a pretty good build up.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm still in the middle of my re-read, but the "Baru ruins the Llosydanes' day" segment is one of my favourite bits in any fantasy novel.

General B posted:

By sundown she owned a restaurant and a flophouse, the Fiat Bank branch by the docks was on fire, and two pirate captains were dueling for her hand as she sold prostitutes in lots of half a hundred.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cptn_dr posted:

I'm still in the middle of my re-read, but the "Baru ruins the Llosydanes' day" segment is one of my favourite bits in any fantasy novel.

Middle books often lag, but at least Baru 2 is better than The Two Towers.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Middle books often lag, but at least Baru 2 is better than The Two Towers.

I'm still a bit upset Tom Bombadil was left out of Baru 1.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

cptn_dr posted:

That is hands-down the best part of the book IMO, because we get to see Baru doing the thing we - or at least I - expected and wanted from her in books 2 and 3, but get precious little of. Which I suppose means my expectations for the series were unrealistic, or intentionally subverted. They're very good books, I just still wonder what the series would look like if everything after book 1 took place in Falcrest instead of the extended seagoing field trip.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Baru 2 begins and ends well which, in my opinion, is the most important thing. The middle dragged a little but there were enough fun or interesting bits through out that my attention never quite waned. Baru 1 and Baru 3 are much better, however.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

minema posted:

I'm packing the house for moving and I found my old copy of Last of The Sky Pirates, one of the Edge Chronicle books. Did anyone else read these as a child? I think they were one of the founding influences of my love of fantasy and flicking through them now and seeing the illustrations gave me such a vivid jolt of nostalgia. I don't think I have the rest of them any more but I'm sort of tempted to buy the full set again since they're definitely going to be better in physical copies due to the illustrations. Just such an inventive and we'll realised world.

Yeah I loved those! Such a vivid and cool setting. I loved how horrifying and hosed up everything was.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I've been reading a lot of bad books lately. Thread, recommend me your best or favorites in SF/F. I'm not going to list what I like because I wouldn't mind going outside my comfort zone or usual suggestions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I've been reading a lot of bad books lately. Thread, recommend me your best or favorites in SF/F. I'm not going to list what I like because I wouldn't mind going outside my comfort zone or usual suggestions.

Janny Wurts To Ride Hell's Chasm (fantasy; princess goes missing night before a betrothal announcement, thriller stuff ensues)
CJ Cherryh's Pride of Chanur (sci-fi; alien lion merchants wind up with a stowaway alien and alien politics ensue)
Julie E Czerneda's Survival (sci-fi; salmon researcher is kidnapped from her salmon job to find out why alien worlds are going extinct randomly)
Phyllis Gotlieb's A Judgement of Dragons (sci-fi; linked anthology of short stories about space cats trying to convince the human federation to take them in so they'll have food imports)
Andrew Skinner's Steel Frame (giant robots in space)
Kristine Smith's Code of Conduct (sci-fi; fugitive lady is brought back to earth to solve a murder, is drawn back into space politics and revolves about human integration with an alien species maybe)
Michelle Sagara's Cast in Shadow (fantasy; lady cop in a city ruled by a dragon has to solve serial murders of children)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All of Joe Abercrombie and Susanna Clarke’s books (she only has three). After that things get harder to recommend. I liked KJ Parker’s short story collections a lot, especially Academic Exercises. I also enjoyed Lev Grossmans Magicians trilogy, though the second one has some distasteful decisions.
And the Baru books.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

"new" authors I like the most include Hannu Rajenami, Joe Abercrombie, Ted Chiang, and KJ Parker.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Andrew Skinner's Steel Frame (giant robots in space)

I had major issues putting this book down it was so good, the atmosphere of the story, even the chain-gang at the start of the book was amazing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kristine Smith's Code of Conduct (sci-fi; fugitive lady is brought back to earth to solve a murder, is drawn back into space politics and revolves about human integration with an alien species maybe)

The first book of this series appears to be on sale (0.99).

https://www.amazon.com/Code-Conduct-Jani-Kilian-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B0188C70P4

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Considering starting Ninefox Gambit tonight. Can anyone swat my hand real quick if this is a bad idea?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the general consensus is that it's good. Haven't read it yet myself though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

I've forgotten most of Baru 2 and I'm currently reading Baru 3 but yeah I agree that was a wonderful part of 2's story

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

^burtle posted:

Considering starting Ninefox Gambit tonight. Can anyone swat my hand real quick if this is a bad idea?

I personally didn't much care for it, but it at least starts interesting. So start reading it and if you don't like it you can always stop.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

mewse posted:

I've forgotten most of Baru 2 and I'm currently reading Baru 3 but yeah I agree that was a wonderful part of 2's story

IMO "Baru and Tau-indi escape a sinking ship" is one of the single best scenes in the series, but yeah the Llosydanes arc is a lot of fun.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fun/rollicking/page-turning adventures:
- The Golden Globe by John Varley
- The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
- The Railhead trilogy by Philip Reeve (YA)
- House of Suns and Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds
- Replay by Ken Grimwood
- The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman
- The First 15 Lives of Harry August by Claire North

Serious, thoughtful literature (not that the above isn't that also, necessarily; I guess these are just "slower" books?):
- Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson
- Eifelheim by Michael Flynn
- Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban
- Dark Eden by Chris Beckett
- Under the Skin by Michel Faber

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Pervis posted:

The first book of this series appears to be on sale (0.99).

https://www.amazon.com/Code-Conduct-Jani-Kilian-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B0188C70P4

I didn't mind the first one and second was ok but the series becomes a bureaucratic who-dunnit about alien document certification.

Which i did like but the other major theme is about human alien hybridisation and consent. which actually i liked too.

Somehow though i started to hate the series somewhere around book three, i think i read them all but it's been awhile.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

^burtle posted:

Ninefox Gambit is good, read it. You should know going in that this is a fantasy book that happens to involve spaceships. The tech is effectively magic.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Urcher posted:

Ninefox Gambit is good, read it. You should know going in that this is a fantasy book that happens to involve spaceships. The tech is effectively magic.

Also, an important characters reputation being based on winning a battle despite being grossly outnumbered... is toned down from an actual naval battle in Korean history. It has spaceships and a cool "magic" system, plus lots of plotting and intrigue. What's not to like ?

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

tiniestacorn posted:

IMO "Baru and Tau-indi escape a sinking ship" is one of the single best scenes in the series, but yeah the Llosydanes arc is a lot of fun.

I'm rereading Monster before I start Tyrant and this is where I am right now. The whole Llosydanes section feels like it could work in another universe as a fun, light-hearted heist novel. Right until the attack on the Morrow Ministry station starts and "Faham" decides he needs to execute the prisoners. Definitely worth rereading for me. There's so much going on that it's hard to pick it all up the first time through. It's fun to think about all the other people who have their own plans. Every pawn in someone's game is a king/queen in their own game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Also, an important characters reputation being based on winning a battle despite being grossly outnumbered... is toned down from an actual naval battle in Korean history. It has spaceships and a cool "magic" system, plus lots of plotting and intrigue. What's not to like ?

Oh, so what's the battle/character in the book based on, in Korean history IRL? Just curious about that now that you've mentioned it, is all!
I'll have to take a look at some of the other books on the lists provided too, since I'm in a similar situation to Milkfred

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The naval battle between Korea and Japan that Korea won despite being heavily outnumbered is Myeongnyang.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Anne Leckie’s Ancillary series is super good.

^burtle posted:

It’s a good book!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok Piranesi is a perfect little gem of a book, polished like a shell on the sand

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Shout out to whoever recommended Spiderlight by Adrian Tchaikovsky ages ago, it’s really good.

Incidentally I once wrote AT a brief fan message along the lines of “I liked your books and well done for getting out of lawyering”, back when he was profiled in The Lawyer magazine and he sent a nice message back. So a good guy all around as far as I can tell.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

tildes posted:

Anne Leckie’s Ancillary series is super good.

Avoid Provenance though, which is a standalone set in a different part of the same universe. Incredibly boring and pointless.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Most writers are pretty good about responding to a nice email - I had an exchange with Alastair Reynolds a decade ago when he was writing the Revelation Space books

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Finity's End by CJ Cherryh
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Always Coming Home by Ursula K LeGuin
The Dark Tower by Stephen King - first 3 books are the best

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Angrymog posted:

Avoid Provenance though, which is a standalone set in a different part of the same universe. Incredibly boring and pointless.

It's definitely not as good as the Ancillary trilogy but I didn't regret reading it, personally.

I thought it was sort of a cozy/charming heist-y story, and I liked the worldbuilding (the culture(s) in it are totally different from the Radch). I think it's worth checking out if you REALLY dig the Radch books, but yeah, it's definitely not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

The Dark Tower by Stephen King - first 3 books are the best

Gosh I remember the end of the Waste Land being so good.

Also amazing he wrote Eight Books before he resolved it.