Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Kuvo posted:

gray primer -> rattle can for the base colors -> hand painting accents -> clear topcoat -> wash/markers -> weathering

thanks for posting your steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kuvo posted:

my entry into the grunt suit contest

second time ive repainted everything so its still a lot to learn. i like the metallic green as the primary but wish i used the dull red and not the olive green as the secondary. i think the gold looks pretty good tho i kind of went crazy with it

Nice work showing restraint with the weathering. It looks like it’s seen action rather than left to rot in a swamp.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Please ignore Endgame playing in the background...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygNGmGUXnX4

Cycling green lights still need some coding work, but I'm pretty happy, overall.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Painting Sakura finally. I might get the yellow trim with a toothpick because holy gently caress this is small enough.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

My Zaku has been done for a while, but I actually gave him his Axe now (Apparently the heat effect needs to be painted in?)

All in all, hoses and a slightly wobly upper body (Which I think was self inflicted) aside, this was a real good build, felt remarkably modern, great looking and very posable to boot!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zeether posted:

Painting Sakura finally. I might get the yellow trim with a toothpick because holy gently caress this is small enough.

Oh boy, I'm not looking forward to this. I've never done any painting before, so I'm curious how it ends up for you. Looks solid so far though.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
A Jegan counts as a grunt, right? It seems to be pretty mass-produced, and the MG is very basic. I'm thinking of giving it a Tri-Stars paint job as an experiment.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's one of the gruntyest grunts. Feds kept it on operation for decades

Burns
May 10, 2008

Xaerael posted:

Please ignore Endgame playing in the background...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygNGmGUXnX4

Cycling green lights still need some coding work, but I'm pretty happy, overall.

Thats fuckin ace.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh boy, I'm not looking forward to this. I've never done any painting before, so I'm curious how it ends up for you. Looks solid so far though.
It's going good, I'm just finding the little edge details hell to do. Also the eye waterslides seem daunting but that's why they give you 3 sets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the jegans are the main feddy workhorse from char's counterattack all the way to f91, yeah. And they werent fully replaced by the Gun line until Victory, which is like UC 150. Those things were in service over 60 years.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Dang, that's even longer than I was thinking! They're the A10 Warthog of the UC. Now I just need to figure out where to paint a shark mouth on one...

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jegans are in service longer than the B-52. That said, they're steadily upgraded with the times and can be outright replaced rather than still using an aging airframe with hundreds if not thousands of hours of stress.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I finished the Sakura pilot figure. The water slides for the eyes were a little bit frustrating to get right and I may have put them too close together but at this rate I don't even care, I just want to start building the kit

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

any objections to making the deadline just the New Year at this point since this year sucks and I want to see more grunt suits

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Focus is weird but this is how she looks. The wires in the cockpit were a little annoying until I used tweezers. Rest of the kit is coming together nicely, I like the way the VOTOMS "eyes" look with the jewel stickers.

I kind of wish they would make ones for each of the flower division girls because the only kit for Kohran (who is the best imo) is an old one from Wave that requires a ton of painting.

Edit: I did the rest of the main body, the nylon tubes for the outside can be cut a little shorter than 9mm because the ends are frayed and it's loving impossible to get them inside of the little "brass" parts that close around them that way

Zeether fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 11, 2020

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

everythingWasBees posted:

any objections to making the deadline just the New Year at this point since this year sucks and I want to see more grunt suits

Given my uneven rate of work that gets constantly distracted I might have my build primered some time next year

But just building/scratchbuilding 2020 season 2 2021 ought to be fine.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I've somehow transitioned from doing a grimoire kitbash to a custom-made Nise Gundam conversion for the PG Zaku, so I kind of feel you on the distraction

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm always happy to see dope mobile suits, group build deadline or no

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'd love a new-year deadline. I'm going to be trapped in Dendrobium parts for at least the next month still, and I have that juicy Jesta Canon p-Bandai to make, still (and like.... 3 GMs?).

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/akamari00/status/1315266927325966336

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Finished off my MG Char's Zaku II 2.0

Pretty fun build. The pipes weren't as bad as I thought they'd be, the ones for the waist were a mother fucker that killed my fingers but the others went smoothly.
The old 2.0 hands where three of the fingers are joined suck. The tab on them can't hold the weapons for poo poo, the machine gun in these pictures is held on with Blu Tack.
I think the Char figure turned out ok but the bird(?) design on the cape was way too small to do well. So I just kinda' winged it.

The sticker for the mono-eye looked like poo poo so I had a go at painting it with a red metallic Gundam Marker.

Turned out pretty loving good if I say so my self.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Veotax posted:

I think the Char figure turned out ok but the bird(?) design on the cape was way too small to do well. So I just kinda' winged it.

:golfclap:

Looks very nice! Monoeye stickers seem to vary a lot from kit to kit so figuring out your own solution seems like a solid plan.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zeether posted:

I kind of wish they would make ones for each of the flower division girls because the only kit for Kohran (who is the best imo) is an old one from Wave that requires a ton of painting.

:hai:

Looks good, though!

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Just finished building my rg nu gundam, I love it a lot with my only issues being the huge neck and the bazooka's little switch that attaches it to the backpack being really hard to flip out, and I actually think I scratched it up a bit with my fingernail :( Is there any way to fix that issue? Otoh not having the bazooka on the back makes it easier to stand up on its own when it has the fin funnels. I'm getting some jet effects and action bases to pose it with soon too.

And here's a Leo I built and practiced panel lining on a little while ago.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Veotax posted:

The pipes weren't as bad as I thought they'd be, the ones for the waist were a mother fucker that killed my fingers but the others went smoothly.

I haven’t built a zaku kit with individual pieces for the pipes yet, what is it about them that kills everyone’s fingers?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Null of Undefined posted:

I haven’t built a zaku kit with individual pieces for the pipes yet, what is it about them that kills everyone’s fingers?

They fit very tightly to the sprue they’re molded onto and have to be pulled off one segment at a time.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I don't remember them being that bad, but I either grabbed them with pliers directly or mostly closed them behind the bead so I could push it. I can't be sure though because it's somehow been 10 years since I built a Zaku. I did find this ancient picture though from when my wife and I technically weren't racing, but we were building at the same time.

To be fair, she had a lot more panel lining to do on the frame.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

This is the runner that the pipes come on for the 2.0 Zakus

The grey parts are rubber and the coloured parts are plastic. You snip the round parts off the plastic sprue and then slide them down onto the curved rubber parts, for the leg pipes you actually slide them onto a long spring. Once they're on the curved part you snip it off and you have a pipe.

The problem is that the rubber that they come on is either moulded too thick or has expanded over time, which makes it a right bastard to slide off.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Midjack posted:

They fit very tightly to the sprue they’re molded onto and have to be pulled off one segment at a time.

This shreds your thumbnail.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I can barely make out a pair of lineman's pliers in that picture I posted, which I can't imagine using over needle-nose to slide the colored parts, so I'm pretty sure I moved them just far enough to get behind and push with needle-nose while pulling the gray sprue with the bigger lineman's. I have a White Ogre I've been busy not building for probably four years that I've been meaning to start soon so maybe I'll see if I just got lucky the first time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The RG Zakus have had an interesting solution to the issue by having the pipes be plastic on a separate runner and the circles are on a runner that is made so that you can slide in the plastic piece then snip off all the circles. The issue comes if you accidentally let the circles slide off and don't know what order to put them back in.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

RG Zakus are also one of the most on-sprue breakage ridden nightmares I've ever encountered.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Xaerael posted:

RG Zakus are also one of the most on-sprue breakage ridden nightmares I've ever encountered.

Oh yeah, I got very lucky with ordering mine online. I have a local shop that I go to nowadays so I can at least check the runners beforehand if I ever feel like getting the other RG Zaku variants I didn't get.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I think EVERY pipe on my generic one was broken, and needed super careful supergluing. It was a release batch one, though, so maybe they fixed that poo poo out.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Maybe, I got mine a couple of months ago so it's possible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Johnny Ridden RG Zaku did make some improvements to the overall finicky frame. It doesn't have a double toe bend anymore but it can actually stand up.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The armor parts are a little finicky and tend to fall off (probably gonna cement in the red parts on the front armors because they have to be pushed in all the way and keep coming out) but it's really good.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The PG solves this by having every single pipe bit be a separate piece that you cut from the runners and put over a spring

The downside of this is doing nub cleanup work on like 50 pipe pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

The PG solves this by having every single pipe bit be a separate piece that you cut from the runners and put over a spring

The downside of this is doing nub cleanup work on like 50 pipe pieces

I've been wondering since the new PG RX78 reveal if the Zaku is next in line for a much needed PG overhaul. Heck, just an upscale of the MG would be amazing.