Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Shooting Blanks posted:

First edition "I voted" stickers from each election are worth more in the secondary market.
I voted stickers serve to raise awareness about voting. I'd love to raise awareness and encourage my social media followers to vote. I don't want to post my mail in ballot, as that may stir some controversy due to the whole debacle with disability check mark. A simple "I voted" sticker would allow me to the skip the controversy, and still allow me to raise awareness about the importance of voting. I'm not alone in this, either. There was a huge uproar when they ran out of the I voted stickers during the Hillary/Sanders primary.

VVVVV Edit to skip posting again VVVVVV

Have Some Flowers! posted:

What is even the point of doing this if there's no sticker?!

That's not what I meant, but I was just pointing out that stickers do serve an important function. I would even argue that seeing your friends with the I voted sticker work better than celebrity PSAs for raising awareness about voting. I'm not going to get into a derail about stickers, but they do serve an important function. That's all. All I'm saying is it would be nice if they gave them out to people who did the mail in voting. You're welcome to disagree.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Bioshuffle posted:

There was a huge uproar when they ran out of the I voted stickers during the Hillary/Sanders primary.
What is even the point of doing this if there's no sticker?!

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Voting at the AT&T Center gives you Spurs themed voted stickers so obviously I am going there.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Been at the Unity Church early polling location in Houston for 20 minutes now and the line hasn't moved except for people ahead of me giving up bc of all the flies/ants. I'm giving it another 10 then doing so myself. I have a day off next week but no idea how hourly workers cope. Pretty sure no straight ticket voting + slow Bush-era rotary machines are gonna eke this out for Rs.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Houston has drive-thru voting at nrg and Toyota I’m pretty sure.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Yeah and I don't work anywhere near there so I'd be gambling on literally no line during lunch hour

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I actually wonder if all the Harris county drama making national headlines is going to backfire for the R's and everyone makes drat sure to get their vote out ahead of time. Seems like it could be that way so far?

E: Voted this morning and I did a manual straight ticket speedrun and got done with the ballot in no more than 3 minutes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's a lot of things, Harris Co. is part of it but it's also the national stuff and this is going on in just about every Republican state. As for if it's working to increase turnout, well I think we can see that's clear.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Waited in a relatively short line (maybe 20-30 minutes) to vote today. All but 3 people in line were wearing masks the whole time. The 3 without were assholes holding masks that seemed like they wanted someone to say something to them. Outside of my roommate, me, and the maskless people; everyone else in lined looked to be older than 50. I can't understand going maskless in public much less doing so around the elderly while you have a mask on you.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 14, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/EricaGrieder/status/1316427277849288705

Weird that's the face I was making when I read this tweet

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I don't think there exists a photograph of Ken Paxton where he looks like a normal human being.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

This is Texas, so I'm not expecting much, but are there any whistleblower protections in state law?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was wondering if the first day would just be super frontloaded because people just want to get this done but it's still going
https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1316433275251052548

Someone pointed out that the more people that vote early, the more votes are already banked for the candidate that's polling in the lead, so late breaking developments, like say, oh I don't know, a dump of hacked emails as the pretext for a sham congressional investigation have a blunted effect.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Elotana posted:

Yeah and I don't work anywhere near there so I'd be gambling on literally no line during lunch hour

Use this interactive wait time map for Harris county. It also lists every each type of polling location.

There are:
10x drive through locations for all three weeks
8x 24-hour polling locations on 2020-10-29
1x ballot drop off location (thanks Abbott)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ZachAbolverdi/status/1316440193520537601

Proof that Bryan College Station is a diseased hell city

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
remember that three days ago Florida's coach was begging to get 90,000 fans in the stands for this game

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Dameius posted:

Use this interactive wait time map for Harris county. It also lists every each type of polling location.
I did! It's full of poo poo!

The line moved shortly after my post so I stuck it out. Ended up taking about an even hour. They were making people wear finger condoms but not masks (there was only one guy not wearing one, and one more guy wearing it on his chin)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

saintonan posted:

This is Texas, so I'm not expecting much, but are there any whistleblower protections in state law?
For private employers, nothing beyond federal laws. For public employers, yes but they're pretty lovely and require very specific steps to be taken or else you'll get dismissed on a technicality.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

+22577 Mail ballots received. Greater than the total number of mail ballots cast in 2016 (20090).

Here's 2016 day by day if you want to follow along: https://countyclerk.traviscountytx.gov/images/pre/2016.11.08_Early_Voting/2016.11.04_G16_Daily_Totals.pdf

Based on the 2016 pattern for Travis County, there's a big dropoff in the number of voters on Saturday and Sunday. I'll probably wait until then.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you vote the first day, you don't have to worry about something going wrong later. Although in the back of my head, I still have a worry that somehow a big chunk of early votes will somehow be invalidated.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Voting achieved. Line wasn't so so bad, probably ~40 minutes.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ZachAbolverdi/status/1316440193520537601

Proof that Bryan College Station is a diseased hell city

Can't deny that.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Did drive thru voting (Harris county, Pasadena) and it was quite pleasant being in the car while waiting to vote. Took about 20 minutes and there is never a line to vote here during early voting.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Texas-surpassed-1-million-votes-on-first-day-of-15647238.php

quote:

More than a million Texans have already cast ballots after just the first day of early voting.

And the state isn’t even finished counting the first day’s numbers.

Record breaking early voting, combined with unusually high mail-in ballot returns show Texas has already surpassed 1 million votes with still three more weeks of voting come.

Harris County by far had the biggest turnout on the first day, with almost 170,000 ballots cast in-person or through mail-in voting as of Wednesday morning. In 2016, Harris County had just under 130,000 ballots submitted on the first day.

b0ng fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 14, 2020

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
New Texas rule lets social workers turn away clients who are LGBTQ or have a disability
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10/14/texas-social-workers-rule-discrimination-lgbt-disabilities

Thanks, Abbott.

I just feel salty that I'm not allowed to send my liberal male work colleagues who voted for Abbott a link to stuff like this and reminding they bragged about voting for Abbott because he's "good at governing".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's the least competent governor we've had in ages

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Elotana posted:

Been at the Unity Church early polling location in Houston for 20 minutes now and the line hasn't moved except for people ahead of me giving up bc of all the flies/ants. I'm giving it another 10 then doing so myself. I have a day off next week but no idea how hourly workers cope. Pretty sure no straight ticket voting + slow Bush-era rotary machines are gonna eke this out for Rs.

There are 110 early vote locations - you can check this site that provides real time wait times for each, so you can find the one closest to you with the least wait.

https://harrisvotes.com/WaitTimes?lang=en-US

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

zoux posted:

He's the least competent governor we've had in ages

I disagree. That slot is reserved for Rick Perry.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sab0921 posted:

There are 110 early vote locations - you can check this site that provides real time wait times for each, so you can find the one closest to you with the least wait.

https://harrisvotes.com/WaitTimes?lang=en-US

Other folks are saying this tracker isn't accurate. I've got 3 different locations near me, tomorrow and/or Friday I'm going to drive by and see if any of them have particularly short lines.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oh, also this was posted on the inside of a window facing in to the hallway where the voting queue was in the county building where I voted today. I complained. They say they're looking into it, are I sincerely hope they actually are, because that's a big load of crazy even for religion.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

still refusing to get my hopes up but this seems good

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1316498427623157761

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/EricaGrieder/status/1316427277849288705

Weird that's the face I was making when I read this tweet

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, at the unethical behavior the people who work directly under me did.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

ReidRansom posted:

Oh, also this was posted on the inside of a window facing in to the hallway where the voting queue was in the county building where I voted today. I complained. They say they're looking into it, are I sincerely hope they actually are, because that's a big load of crazy even for religion.

Not that you're wrong, but pretty sure that's just the standard American protestant interpretation of Revelation these days. At least it all sounds pretty familiar to me.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

still refusing to get my hopes up but this seems good

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1316498427623157761

In 2016 this turned out to be a lot of Election Day vote cannibalization so I wouldn’t read much into it yet

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

chglcu posted:

Not that you're wrong, but pretty sure that's just the standard American protestant interpretation of Revelation these days. At least it all sounds pretty familiar to me.

Don't confuse protestant with evangelical.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

That poo poo is fake because nowhere does it mention our dual saviors Kirk Cameron and Nic Cage helping lead the bleating masses to paradise.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Captain Monkey posted:

Don't confuse protestant with evangelical.

Fair enough. After that post I was trying to think of a more specific word but kept coming up blank.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Blergh post-tribulationsists

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Voted this afternoon in Collin County, the library I visited had a line of ~20 people out the door but it moved pretty fast. The inside of the polling place was surprisingly loud, tons of people talking at once giving instructions and that sort of thing.

The county election tracker seemed pretty accurate but nobody must be using it. My usual location showed hour+ wait times all day and I drove past it twice this afternoon and people indeed were backed out onto the sidewalk each time. Not sure why folks insisted on voting there instead of going to any of the dozens of other polling places :confused:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It certainly doesn't belong in the hallway of a county building.

But this is Brazos County, and as Zoux said earlier... diseased hell etc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Blergh post-tribulationsists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just early voted in Denton co, got in and out in like ten minutes