Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Demonicpoodle posted:

Reminds me of Ryuuou, really. The highly advanced version of it.

I'm still hoping that Kaido has Ryuuou but that's becoming less likely each chapter. Is he still drunk or is he sober now?

He does.

Big Mom/Kaido have been shown to just simply be impervious to hits unless you can use it, there's no reason to even think he wouldn't know how to use it if he's at a level like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Asuron posted:

He does.

Big Mom/Kaido have been shown to just simply be impervious to hits unless you can use it, there's no reason to even think he wouldn't know how to use it if he's at a level like that.

We don’t know Kaido’s whole story but there’s no reason not to believe that he’s not a freak of nature like Big Mom that only needed to learn armamant haki to keep up with the strongest guys around once he couldn’t coast on his innate abilities.

As an aside, I really like that about One Piece; that even freaks of nature like Kaido and Linlin can’t just pull a Frieza and rely solely on their insane innate strength, and that by all accounts if you just train enough you become a freak of nature yourself like Zoro.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmfao imaging nanonmachines and squalo power white are style posts about kaidos blood alcohol level

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sober Kaido could solo big mom pirates!

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I get his point since big mom didn’t need ryou in WCI, and maybe whitebeard too in marineford (but at this point who knows if he was combining the two while wrecking everything).

But instead of ‘them being so strong they don’t need it’ I think it’ll be “holy poo poo they’ve been barely trying all of new world and are on a tier of their own now that they’re trying” since everyone in one piece pulls the goku poo poo of only exerting what you need

Oda’s been using the starvation/drunk states similar to how zoro would go through multiple arcs in some nerfed state before his bigger fights

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This...this is a level BEYOND .11! This...is Blood Alcohol Level .19!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Vegeta what does the breathalyser say???

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
ryou is just the term the people of wano use for haki, it doesn't specifically refer to the "projected" haki we see luffy learning/mastering during the udon arc and afterwards.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

And THIS...IS BLOOD ALCOHOL LEVEL .30!!!

*chugs everclear for five minutes straight while Majin Buu watches*

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
We all thought Luffy would be the one to beat Kaido...but it turns out only Zoro could fulfill the legend and become the legendary Super Alcoholic God Super Alcoholic.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

tbp posted:

ryou is just the term the people of wano use for haki, it doesn't specifically refer to the "projected" haki we see luffy learning/mastering during the udon arc and afterwards.

No it’s def an advanced state of armament haki, just like how future sight is a bonus ability of observational haki.

and I’m sure shanks has the conqueror version of whatever extra ability you can milk out and that’s why he’s as strong as he is

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

tbp posted:

We need to find a term to call it then as a fanbase because I've had this conversation so many times. :P
Do we call it Projected Haki like you said?
Advanced Armament? (which could technically be Katakuri's Block Mochi)
Super Advanced?

Also if Katakuri's Block Mochi was stated by him to be a level above Luffy's Armament, and demonstrably was, then there's no way a Yonkou Commander is the ceiling of Armament Haki, so we can fully expect Kaido, Big Mom, Shanks, and Blackbeard (and all of the admirals) to have even crazier hardening.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

tbp posted:

this is one of those things i find kinda interesting about fiction: in real life, people kind of use real words in vaguer senses. in something like one piece, when you use a word like ryou in a casual, somewhat undefined sense or have multiple terms for the same thing, your fanbase will endlessly speculate on if its two different things or just like a nuance of the language in the work.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

euphemism posted:

this is one of those things i find kinda interesting about fiction: in real life, people kind of use real words in vaguer senses. in something like one piece, when you use a word like ryou in a casual, somewhat undefined sense or have multiple terms for the same thing, your fanbase will endlessly speculate on if its two different things or just like a nuance of the language in the work.

But that’s only because oda gave us so much reference of power systems connecting or building off one another. I’m sure there was a lot of reaching in the dark when enel was using mantra/lucci using hakai but everything always comes back in one piece and is rarely left to esoteric reasons

Even stuff like Marie geoise/laugh tale were purposeful baits from oda and it’s fun to at least try to go on the little mental adventures before we find out the final puzzle pieces on the mystery set up.

either ryou is or isn’t the whole concept of learned haki in wano but it’s my posting ambition to try finding the one truth (of many truths still up in the air)

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
I feel like this page is an important piece of the puzzle.
Seems like Kaido calls what they're using Ryuo.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Demonicpoodle posted:

I feel like this page is an important piece of the puzzle.
Seems like Kaido calls what they're using Ryuo.

Lpzie posted:

amazing! oden put nanomachines in the wound twenty years ago just for this moment.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Maybe joyboy taught wano this armament haki ability alongside the advanced seastone production?

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 13, 2020

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Ryou will probably end up being not just a word for haki, but inherited will.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Speed translation is out!

https://m.imgur.com/a/AnR23b8

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yes
YES
YEEEES!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You know, its probably not gonna go down that way but I’m pretty cool with the scabbards just outright handling Kaido, this feels pretty cathartic to watch the guys whose lives were ruined by the bad impossibly strong guy actually gently caress up the bad guy for once.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Murder Bullets is a hell of an attack name.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Gonna need the official trans on whatever Marco/Big Mom were saying, but the Scabbard fight was fuckin ayy

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

20 years of time...

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
its so nice to have a chapter

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They've definitely achieved something. I can see them failing here, but Kaido has taken actual damage, and whenever Luffy busts everyone out in act four, he could inspire them to finally strike the killing blow (maybe if Luffy takes down Big Mom first?).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
excited for the chap

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
absolutely excellent stuff.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
One Piece is so cool y'all

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Actually teared up when they all assumed Oden's stance for the final attack. It's gonna be rough when Kaido fucks up the scabbards in the next issue.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Given that we've progressed from poking a yonko and barely escaping to taking on two of them at once I'm very curious to see what oda pulls out for how Luffy is going to deal with either/both.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Strelok604 posted:

Given that we've progressed from poking a yonko and barely escaping to taking on two of them at once I'm very curious to see what oda pulls out for how Luffy is going to deal with either/both.

I mean the Sanji rescue ended up going wildly off the rails and still ended with them fighting (and defeating) several of Big Mom's strongest generals, and physical confrontations with Big Mom herself.

I still like Nami's line there where she says "if we were planning to fight we would have brought Zoro and the others", cause yeah, now they have the entire crew, plus the Scabbards, plus the Supernova alliance, plus all of the Minks in sulong form. Plus Luffy got some training and Zoro got a sick new sword. And I honestly still flash back to the SH Alliance saying "if you ever need us just yell and we'll come to your aid" is going to end with some of them showing up for some manner of last minute save.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Super Rad posted:

Actually teared up when they all assumed Oden's stance for the final attack.

:yeah:

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Guy A. Person posted:

I still like Nami's line there where she says "if we were planning to fight we would have brought Zoro and the others"
I've been itching for a good Zoro fight for years, I'm so ready

I think about this line a lot, because the implications are pretty big. I always thought it was referring to some event which would be the second half's equivalent to marineford, but it could be wano too maybe? who knows, but I'm certainly excited

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah you kinda figure that's about what happens with the endgame, but knowing One Piece there will probably be some huge curveballs along the way

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the marco + carrot tag team is gonna be lit, esp. with the full moon

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This manga. This chapter.

I don't recall there ever being a no-nonsense fight like this in One Piece? There's no smack talk, no comedic moments, almost no talking, just pure violence and anger. Even Luffy v Katakuri which was an absolute slugfest had back-and-forth banter. It feels like the manga has been holding back this level of raw fury for two decades and the payoff is vicious.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official translation is out early

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-992/chapter/21372?action=read

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Really clears up some of that quick scanlation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Amazing.

This is one of those moments I can't wait to see animated primarily for Black Maria's song transitioning into the fight. Passions run high indeed.