Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

sincx posted:

well if you can finagle your way into a chinese business visa, you can get a vaccine for $60, right now

(the vaccine passed phase 2, so it's probably safe, but hasn't passed phase 3, so its effectiveness is uncertain)

https://twitter.com/robindbrant/status/1317359107695730688

I mean, this isn't really a good thing though and it's exactly the kind of poo poo that people in this thread are worried about US vaccines. You can probably get into a trial right now if you really want an untested vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:46 on Mar 23, 2021

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

there was a period of time where the online NYS unemployment portal would direct to a splash page to buy one of these after you successfully submitted a UI application. it really hosed me up for an afternoon lol

jesus christ man, i'm sorry

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

what the gently caress is this :catstare:

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
it owns so hard how everyone was primed for a no nonsense shitlib teamwork approach & prezzie just tore it all to shreds like a monkey going after a phone book on joe rogan

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

how is he going to fit the next mountain in the room tho

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
mr president sir dr fauci has informed me sir that u have been diagnosed w/a terminal case of malarkey sir... and youre fired

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

how is he going to fit the next mountain in the room tho

he can put the little mountain on the dining side table, and the big mountain on the big dining table

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

seattle plague rat posted:

it owns so hard how everyone was primed for a no nonsense shitlib teamwork approach & prezzie just tore it all to shreds like a monkey going after a phone book on joe rogan

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Yeah we can either have a de jure economic shutdown or a de facto one. That's the only choice until the virus is contained.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

ten million pounds of sludge

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yeah we can either have a de jure economic shutdown or a de facto one. That's the only choice until the virus is contained.

A de facto shutdown relies on the media playing up the current situation, which they largely have not been doing. Local news channels here are barely mentioning that fact that a handful of schools shut down nearly every day. They've technically been reporting on increase positivity rates, but only with massive caveats that try to make it sound like it's not that bad. And this is in a state that's been pretty okay about all of this.

People in charge are really counting on the idea that this can all just be memory holed for at least a few months so that there's not enough panic to keep crushing the economy.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Paradoxish posted:

There are several dumb things about this tweet, but mostly I just find it hilarious that anyone thought the "go back to school but randomly experience two-week long snow days" model was actually a better option than shutting them down.

it's so hilariously bad and we're only at mid October.

if you work for a medium sized company (under 500 employees), assuming you can stay open/not get laid off, you qualify for EFMLA which let's you take part time off at like 70% pay to deal with your sudden loss of daycare. at part time, and with creative wfh scheduling, you can just about make it work

if you work for a large corp, tho, well, hope you saved your PTO, or prepare to go on unpaid leave for 2 weeks every month or two

I don't even report cases in my org up to HR anymore, because then they'd be wondering why everyone still has pto. instead I've been saying, you're exempt, nothing says you can't work 20 hrs for the same pay, we'll just make it work while you've got your kids at home.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Iron Crowned posted:

I just bought 4 additional masks today. I'm kinda miffed that most masks out their are white, a dark color or some kind of tacky pattern.

Like I wanted to get masks that go with what I wear to work so that I can just treat them like pants or a tie or some poo poo.

get a half mask. Co-workers will get over you being a walking reminder of reality eventually, promise

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

I find it really funny that the wealthy are desperately trying for some normalcy and failing miserably. Of course, for every one of these you have several who are just out in boats having a nice time in lake tahoe while their servers at the restaurant later on sweat bullets and wear masks.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Goobish posted:

"Public health measures" lol

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

mr president sir dr fauci has informed me sir that u have been diagnosed w/a terminal case of malarkey sir... and youre fired

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

mastershakeman posted:

My wife just got mad I visited neighbors outside while I was wearing a mask

She's going to a bar to outside drink with her friends in two hours. The risk of not wearing masks is no big deal because they all work out together without masks!!
The key to marital bliss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1DhJ-DrFHQ

My wife handled all our marriage arrangements including the vows. She asked if I wanted to read them before the ceremony--I noped out and said it would be more fun to read them for the 1st time in front of the officiant. In the wedding video, you can see my head turn in the classic dog look when I got to the part about compromising. Thinking the my way or the highway approach might not work anymore. LOL. Safe to say that over the years there has been zero compromising. I cave faster than a beach pit in dry sand...happy wife, happy life!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gotta wonder if the Chiefs game where people booed at the moment of unity was a significant vector, there was news of one confirmed case but everyone moved on and forgot about it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh my god

This means he's not coming to Green Bay

RALLY CANCELED

I'm saved!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

snoo posted:

mr thirsty 2

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Paradoxish posted:

A de facto shutdown relies on the media playing up the current situation, which they largely have not been doing. Local news channels here are barely mentioning that fact that a handful of schools shut down nearly every day. They've technically been reporting on increase positivity rates, but only with massive caveats that try to make it sound like it's not that bad. And this is in a state that's been pretty okay about all of this.

People in charge are really counting on the idea that this can all just be memory holed for at least a few months so that there's not enough panic to keep crushing the economy.

And that works for a while, but there comes a point where "don't believe your lying eyes" becomes a bit too much. Meanwhile the industries they are trying to save: hospitality, tourism, airlines etc. cannot survive even with a mere 10% reduction in revenue. Shutting down for a couple of months and subsidizing could have saved them, but a couple of years with a perpetually increasing reduction in revenue won't.

Shutting down seems like a massive step right now and maybe if things were stable it could be argued that it would harm more than hurt, but the sad fact is we are still in the horizontal part of the exponential growth and things are going to get much, much, much worse unless politicians actually act. There will be no memory holing the future.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Oct 17, 2020

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pingui posted:

There will be no memory holing the future.

"Well, just watch me".

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

My wife just got mad I visited neighbors outside while I was wearing a mask

She's going to a bar to outside drink with her friends in two hours. The risk of not wearing masks is no big deal because they all work out together without masks!!

i love updates on your very healthy marriage

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Yesh posted:

snoosays wear a mask

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Here are the two posts.

I didn't bring up "Digital Artists, Film makers, Editors, VFX and Shade writers." You brought it up. You are the only making the relationships. I don't give a gently caress about that poo poo, just like I don't give a gently caress about the post the guy made about star wars because I didn't give a loving about bringing up the art of producing film.

I only brought coding video games, Drawing, and "making music," which I am sorry for not being specific and saying "Play an instrument."

I am also sorry for not bring up the specific coding example I had in my head, which was coding a game like snake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGmXxpIj6vs

The whole argument is about the definition of the word play.
I had a narrow definition.
Everybody else has a wider one.

I hosed up for not defining my term of "play" as performing acts like playing an instrument, or drawing, the act of making lines on paper, and allow me to add in "playing sports." Actives that have a physical aspect where a person performs actions.

You WRITE code and then run the program. Then PLAY with that program.

You can "Play" with code in a broader definition. Like how in VB basic you can make your "Hello World" Program have it crash, find the part where you didn't type in a semicolon, run the program again. Yes that is also "Playing" with code.

Sorry.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

what is with c-spammers and poor spousal choice?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KaptainKrunk posted:

what is with c-spammers and poor spousal choice?

my spouse owns :colbert:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shageletic posted:

English ppl too. My buddy thinks Americans sound like John Wayne?

https://youtu.be/78SSDmx0yek

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Google Butt posted:

get a half mask. Co-workers will get over you being a walking reminder of reality eventually, promise

I wore a half mask to pick up a prescription. people seemed cool about it mostly but I think I scared the cashier. not sure how to process that because if there is one person that doesn’t deserve the walking reminder of death it is prolly them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pardot posted:

what was the 'boyfriend cliff'?

It's when your boyfriend suddenly gets introduced to the in-laws because he quarantines with you and your parents, which is what happened to Cuomo's daughter and her boyfriend. So relatable!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

kater posted:

I wore a half mask to pick up a prescription. people seemed cool about it mostly but I think I scared the cashier. not sure how to process that because if there is one person that doesn’t deserve the walking reminder of death it is prolly them.

I have a half-mask and am thinking about wearing some kind of very large cloth or bandana/neck-gaiter style mask over it to make it look a bit more normal. Although at least in NYC social acceptance of normal masks happened pretty quickly so maybe half-masks/respirators might be accepted as well. Especially the longer this drags out.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

kater posted:

I'll sometimes put mine on when I'm walking from where I parked to the store, a block away, and wearing a half mask and goggles outside is an even more surefire way to freak people the gently caress out. Everyone stares, some of them laugh (I assume as a way to make themselves feel better about their imminent death), and they all give me a wide berth on the sidewalk. It owns.

Back in April, people were still yelling, "Nice mask!" at me ironically, from moving vehicles, but that has stopped. Now instead, grocery store employees, with sadness and awe in their voice, say, "wow, nice mask."

The hosed thing is, if everyone had a large supply of N95s and actually wore them, the virus would have a really hard time spreading. Oh well, what can you do?!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

DarkEuphoria posted:

Oh well, what can you do?!

better open er up i guess, can't think of anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

snoo posted:

better open er up i guess, can't think of anything else

OKAY IT'S OPENED UMM IT'S NOT WORKING :supaburn: