Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, if there's any show where you can get away with bizarre replacements for guns, it's One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flauros, Kabakali, Phenex, and Star Build Strike confirmed for the new gundam versus game coming to arcades.

One of them's being added to EXVS2 too. My guess is Flauros.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 17, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I can't believe this video I've been enjoying the passed week is coming up in the Gundam thread:

jackhunter64 posted:

If you're talking questionably applied censorship, the ITV dub of Robocop is the absolute peak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-y1PAUtv3k

I really love that guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA

I've never even seen the original movie so this scene is evne more hilarious for me because I have no idea what's going on.

I just know I should never find a stranger in the Alps or feed a stoner scrambled eggs.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, if there's any show where you can get away with bizarre replacements for guns, it's One Piece.

I've never seen 4Kids OP but I recall reading a long, long time ago that they replaced one gun with a spring-loaded hammer and somebody noted that such a weapon could fit right in in OP.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that the censorship for SEED wasn't what you'd expect. Like they censored guns.

Super bizarre.

It’s worth noting there’s a few different edits of the laser guns, as I think the different TV versions they aired reduced some of them later one once it moved from its original time slot (10:30 or 11pm) to the later one (IIRC, 12:30am). The SEED edit on CN had a lot of weird other changes too...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A big thing in the 90's/early 00's American television was "lasers okay, real guns bad because ~kids could emulate what they see on TV~ :ohdear:"

They didn't bother when airing on Australian Toonami though.

SEED was the only Gundam show that badly edited for airing on Cartoon Network. While all the other shows had edits for gore and nudity, none of the prior ones tried to make the guns into something other else. In fact, I don’t think the infamous disco guns in that screenshot were present in the early episodes of the series, and only showed up once they got to Earth. The early episodes were edited, but it was mostly toning down stuff like the volume of the firefight in the first episodes, and changing some of the gun sounds, oddly enough. The sudden appearance of all the laser effects was well noted in the American fan base at the time.

It’s worth noting that SEED started airing shortly after the infamous “wardrobe malfunction” in the halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII, so everything on American TV was getting extra censored because people are loving idiots. For SEED, it was even dumber because it only aired late on Saturday nights, where as the majority of previous shows were weekdays at 5pm, and other shows being aired late at night weren’t getting similar censorship (Such as Ghost in the Shell, or the continued reruns of Cowboy Bebop).

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I'm not American so I might get the specifics wrong but I do remember the whole fuss at the time - while the aborted plans to screen Zeta Gundam on CN at the time had it going to Adult Swim, the super rushed switch to Seed that replaced it demanded that they put it in the Toonami slot and at the lowest rating possible to in theory maximize audience, because this was when Seed was popping extremely hard in Japan at the time.

fartknocker posted:

The SEED edit on CN had a lot of weird other changes too...

The one I most vividly remember is in some early episodes they censored the sound effects for the GINNs assault rifles. And since it was a cheapy hacky CN edit rather than something done by the dub team they replaced it with random out of place whooshing noises thinking that made it sound more like lasers :stare:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't remember Gundam SEED getting censored on YTV.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

They didn't do any visual editing like that in the UK but some episodes of Wing definitely had particular scenes of people getting shot skipped over: Quinze and Doctor J in the Peacemillion engine room was one, it cuts from Quinze shouting 'Freeze' and very suddenly, Doctor J is on the floor with a bullet in his shoulder. It's weird because they left in similar scenes like Lady Une on the lunar base, and Cartoon Network UK did actually broadcast the previously mentioned Outlaw Star hot springs episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't remember Gundam SEED getting censored on YTV.

Canada doesn't have as many censorship issues for children's programming, but we do have some bizarre ones that raise eyebrows. On one hand you have shows like Transformers Beast Wars getting renamed to Beasties to remove War from the title, but then you have shows like Total Drama island straight up show cartoon tits at one point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No censorship will ever be as dumb as the UK's years long panic over nunchucks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Thinking back, was OG Gundam censored at all on Toonami? It came on during the day and there is plenty of shooting with guns.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Endorph posted:

No censorship will ever be as dumb as the UK's years long panic over nunchucks.

When there's no guns here, any other kind of weapon just fills the gap in the tabloid imagination. Like this work of art:

quote:

A spokesman for police in Gloucester, where it was surrendered, said: "It is a particularly nasty weapon that can, literally, take someone's head off. We are very glad it is off the streets and we want more weapons handed in."

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Seemlar posted:

I'm not American so I might get the specifics wrong but I do remember the whole fuss at the time - while the aborted plans to screen Zeta Gundam on CN at the time had it going to Adult Swim, the super rushed switch to Seed that replaced it demanded that they put it in the Toonami slot and at the lowest rating possible to in theory maximize audience, because this was when Seed was popping extremely hard in Japan at the time.

Keep in mind I’m going off memories from 2003-04 here...

Zeta getting on CN was always just a rumor and I don’t know how true it was. It generally didn’t get much play among the online fanbase here, as it was generally thought of in the same way as some executive at Bandai or Sunrise or wherever claiming they had plans to release every existing show on DVD at some point, but that was before a lot of missteps happened with Gundam in North America in those years.

The big thing was the Zeta box set was delayed quite a bit, I think almost a year, after being announced sometime in 2003 for a release late that year/early 2004, but it didn’t come out until like November 2004. There was a big fear among the American Gundam fans that it wouldn’t get released at all, as supposed release dates would come up and then nothing would happen. The cause of that was different retailers would list a different date, but not make clear it was a projected or anticipated release date, rather than something confirmed.

Supposedly, the delays were because it didn’t sell as well as anticipated, probably in part due to it being vastly different prices on different sites (I preordered it for like $120, I think on Amazon, while other places had it between $150-$200), but another was the powers that be wanted SEED ASAP and it pushed everything back. Remember, SEED infamously got licensed for a Western release shortly before it finished it finished airing in Japan (I think with only 4 or 5 episodes left), which caused a stir with the fansub groups at the time as they’d usually stop when a show got licensed. F91’s release, originally supposed to be around May 2004 (With rumors of a limited theatrical run that were far more widely reported than Zeta getting a TV airing in my memory), was also delayed till fall 2004 as well. Of course, by the time SEED actually started airing, the toy line in the U.S. was bottomed out after the bad G Gundam line and lackluster SEED options, which notably seemed to be heavy on stuff that didn’t sell well in Japan (Lots of Busters and gray, deactivated stuff), and the time slot issues didn’t help at all, since they knew the whole series could never air at a late afternoon time.

Seemlar posted:

The one I most vividly remember is in some early episodes they censored the sound effects for the GINNs assault rifles. And since it was a cheapy hacky CN edit rather than something done by the dub team they replaced it with random out of place whooshing noises thinking that made it sound more like lasers :stare:

Yep, that was a huge one and very obvious when watching it. There was places like the old Gunota blog and elsewhere posting comparison pictures and audio within a day of the episodes airing, which is why some of that is still burned into my head.

Ethiser posted:

Thinking back, was OG Gundam censored at all on Toonami? It came on during the day and there is plenty of shooting with guns.

Not much. The original series I don’t think has much blood or gore in it, but all the parts with guns that got aired remained intact, such as the episode Ramba Ral’s raid on White Base. Thinking back to watching the DVDs of the series, I don’t think they edited anything. Keep in mind, they never aired the last few episodes (Except the very last one, once, on New Years Eve), but I can’t recall offhand if the show showed any blood, or it was just the new animation for the movie trilogy...

08th MS Team and 0080 both aired on the Midnight Run of Toonami (With 08th later replacing MSG at 5pm in late September 2001) and while they removed most of the blood and all nudity, they did nothing to remove or hide that yes, people were getting shot and killed with real guns in these shows.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 17, 2020

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Keep in mind, they never aired the last few episodes

19 years later and I'm still salty over this. Didn't see the end of original gundam till a few years later when we got the Encounters in Space game. I'm also surprised we got any gundam games after that.

Vord fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 17, 2020

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That's wonderful :3:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Doing a rewatch of Bland Divers in advance of the Battleogue, man this poo poo has a lot of lame episodes. Even compared to Try it's pretty bleh, like compare Gunpla Collection (ep 10) of Try to the Nadeshiko-althelon (ep 19) of Divers.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/KodakVars/status/1292522162272833537?s=20

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hahaha, that's adorable.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I don't get it

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

I don't get it

That's Atra flying the Akatsuki, and Akatsuki is also the name of her son.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pretty great own goal there Vars.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is Gundam f91 the coolest film ever made

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Is Gundam f91 the coolest film ever made

My sources say no.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

My sources say no.

Yeah. Not enough rapping dogs on skateboards.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I watched the Build Divers prologue and although the animal people were unexpected, the most bizarre thing for me was a character named Rommel coupled with his team being literally called 7th Panzer Division.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Azran posted:

I watched the Build Divers prologue and although the animal people were unexpected, the most bizarre thing for me was a character named Rommel coupled with his team being literally called 7th Panzer Division.

This isn't a first for the franchise, either. ZZ had a random Neo Zeon villain literally named "Desert Rommel" who led the "Rommel Corps", and Ramba Ral from the original Gundam and Andrew Waltfeld from SEED are both really transparent riffs on the Rommel mythology of being hyper competent apolitical good guys who are stuck working for the bad guys and are also desert combat experts(since the real Rommel's most famous campaigns were in Africa).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Azran posted:

I take it you've never met any tabletop wargamers?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

This isn't a first for the franchise, either. ZZ had a random Neo Zeon villain literally named "Desert Rommel" who led the "Rommel Corps", and Ramba Ral from the original Gundam and Andrew Waltfeld from SEED are both really transparent riffs on the Rommel mythology of being hyper competent apolitical good guys who are stuck working for the bad guys and are also desert combat experts(since the real Rommel's most famous campaigns were in Africa).

The guy actually named Rommel in ZZ was a teamkilling shithead, though, so I think that while Ramba Ral was partially inspired by the myth of Rommel, Tomino didn't have some particular respect for him as a specific person.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Given that the GBN guy is also Captain Zeon I feel like he's a fan that drunk the kool-aid a bit.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ermine Rommel

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Given that the GBN guy is also Captain Zeon I feel like he's a fan that drunk the kool-aid a bit.

I mean, if we go by the writing of the time (his own and from people who met him), the Captain Zeon schtick is hilariously on-brand for most of his career. Teaching people about fair play and doing the right thing while not seeing his own allies commit was crimes right behind his back is a defining part of Rommel's career until near the end.

The most amazing example was when he sent a letter to his pal Hitler about these crazy rumors that the Nazis were anti-semetic, with a suggestion to promote more Jewish people to high office to show how the Nazis were all about the brotherhood of man, but you see it all throughout his career, including writing to try to secure good treatment for a member of his wife's family who had been in the resistance against the Nazis... and who had already been brutally executed.

Rommel was a complicated person, both doing his best within his sphere of influence to maintain high standards of conduct (In one famous incident, he insisted that soldiers of all ethnicities be allowed to eat together, and he equally famously refused to obey the commando orders, treating captured commandos like any other soldier. ) and enabling one of the most monstrous regimes in history to expand its influence, even right next to him, with abuse of prisoners and illegal executions conducted during his campaigns, sometimes even with his knowledge (if not necessarily his approval). It may be hard to believe a man in his position could be so naive... but at the same time, this is a man who once thought the proper reward for his own troops when they engaged in backbreaking manual labor was to give them accordians. Rommel's record suggests that, yes. He could be that naive. His Double Zeta counterpart might have been in the Earth arcs, but some bits of his record fit right in with the first act of ZZ Gundam, when Zeon officers were being defeated using chickens, and Mashymre was always talking about Haman's sweet and gentle personality.

(Of course, I admit I tend towards a more generous view of the man since the "Maybe Rommel sucked!" movement among historians started with a Holocaust denier. Inclines me to distrust pretty much anything derived from his works.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 18, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I am all on board works of fiction going "gently caress Nazis, let's find some creative ways to kill them" ala Wolfenstein, reality is complicated and looking at any individual's life is going to be a lot more complex than "he was a sadistic monster, the end." Nazis are still humans, but being human doesn't mean you're right. I think a lot of the hardcore "Rommel was awesome!" crowd fell into it the same way I did, back when I was a teenager. You've been told since childhood Nazis are bad and you understand that, but then you find this guy who apparently lives up to that myth of the gentleman soldier who treats his opponents with respect and didn't really like Hitler. But if that's where your reading of Rommel ends, it's easy to buy into the myth rather than the man, and far too many people put emphasis on the tactics and machinery of war rather than the individual's state of mind. Hence you get wehraboos who take German military aesthetic and believe the "wow, cool tank!" meme wholeheartedly. And sometimes those people make Gundam shows that tend to be poo poo apologism for war crimes.

A lesser example of German military fetishism can be seen with Von Lettow Vorebeck from the First World War. Dude fought an insane, doomed to fail guerrilla war in Africa using local african militias and he gets called a great man, conveniently forgetting his involvement in the Namibian Genocide a decade prior because he told Hitler to go gently caress himself that one time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the covers of the ibo artbooks rule

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Not showing up; embedding discord stuff doesn't work very well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Workin fine for me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Workin fine for me

Yeah it’s actually working now for me as well. Internet!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Endorph posted:

lmao'ing at Carta

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

They've even got Togonosuke Makanai's unnamed but ultra-dedicated assistant on there, the Charles Woodcock of the Post Disaster era.

(Also, Julieta looks much less smug than she normally does when she's that happy.)

The more Gundam I watch, the more I like Iron Blooded Orphans. When it premiered, I'd only seen Turn A, War in the Pocket, and the Origin manga. In that context, Iron Blooded Orphans felt like, for lack of a better term, "standard Gundam". Of course it juggled the supporting cast well, had emotionally satisfying battle sequences, gave everyone strong characterization, and kept up a strong throughline even when it had weak stretches. It was Gundam. That was just how Gundam handles things.

Having watched a lot more Gundam, including some of the all time most praised shows like Zeta and 08th, it's easier to see where IBO does better than even the good Gundam shows, as well as where it makes callbacks and what it means for them to do.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

lmao'ing at Carta

Carta definitely got the best billing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

For better and for worse all UC shows are held back by the gravity of the franchise.