Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I really like that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MonkeyWash posted:

Been doing the same with a couple of fake accounts. I had a fake funeral home account for a while, I was trolling Covidiots. Facebook shut that one down after I offered a two for one children's coffin sale to someone.

:sbahj:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:boonie:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 15, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oogie Boogie-rear end hand.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Should've went with a silver band, it would've weakened her so you could have had time to take potions and lay traps.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Want to find whoever's responsible for this ad and give them a great big wedgie.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Why would you write "active-duty servicemen & servicewomen" instead of just the non-gendered and less awkward "active-duty service members"?

The answer, of course, is because you're an idiot.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ehhhhh someone's a member of the Revervist Memes 2.0 Facebook group.

I loved the reply "looks just like Petawawa".

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I’m shocked he took a 20mm to the dome and was still alive

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

TK-42-1 posted:

Probably shrapnel

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

TK-42-1 posted:

He did 22 years in and then another 12 as a contractor. Do you think he was really still alive?

The real lovely thing is he had a daughter born the year he retired, so she was only 12 when he got zapped.

To add insult to injury;

quote:

Chuck deployed to Southwest Asia in support of Operation DESERT STORM during the liberation of Kuwait from a hostile Iraqi Regime. During combat operations, Chuck minimized friendly casualties by ensuring zero communication delays and by personally directing timely and accurate close air support attacks. For his combat service in Iraq, Chuck was awarded the United States Air Force Bronze Star Medal.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Ehhhhh someone's a member of the Revervist Memes 2.0 Facebook group.

Someone shared in office, I don't believe in facebook. General consensus was that watermarks be damned - like 50FA stories, just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it's not true.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

not caring here posted:

Should've went with a silver band, it would've weakened her so you could have had time to take potions and lay traps.

loving :laffo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

not caring here posted:

[quaffing intensifies]

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

TK-42-1 posted:

You’re not dead until declared dead, and that depends on county/state protocols. Some require - without lividity, rigor mortis, or other signs of obvious “not recent” death, you go to the hospital, or all measures be taken to support you, etc. until a doc declares you dead. Other times, your body just keeps working until your brain swells and you die.

In any case, out in the middle of a range where you weren’t really expected to get shot at, I would think it might be a minute or two until they get someone out to check on you, take you to the hospital, and then you get declared dead.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

IIRC, in some states there are "injuries incompatible with living" statues that allow laymen to declare a state of death and/or skip the hospital trip.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Kith posted:

IIRC, in some states there are "injuries incompatible with living" statues that allow laymen to declare a state of death and/or skip the hospital trip.

Yes. Gunshot wound to the head is not usually one of them. Also not laymen, but EMS usually.

Decapitation is, for example. Blunt force trauma+cardiac arrest is sometimes another, etc.

Edit: I say this having also done these various things. While I don’t claim to be an SME, I wouldn’t be shocked if hours later is just the time it took for someone to get there, call for help as he’s guppy breathing,, get an ambulance there and then get him to a hospital. Rural EMS is a gently caress.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 16, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
When I was an EMT in the last century, we were allowed to not treat/call in as dead decapitation, bodies with obvious rigor mortis, and bodies with lines of lividity. Anything else we had to treat, even a 20mm round to the head with no heartbeat or respiration.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

It’s still the same, unless they’ve obviously been down for a couple hours or whatever.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

That's what the black triage patch is for. If nothing else needs done, attend. Otherwise, hit the patient with a pleasant amount of morphine if possible and keep warm and cozy.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Force de Fappe posted:

That's what the black triage patch is for. If nothing else needs done, attend. Otherwise, hit the patient with a pleasant amount of morphine if possible and keep warm and cozy.

We use ribbon tape, but yes. In an MCI situation, he would be tagged as black.

This doesn’t sound like an MCI.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

there is a lot of stuff in your head you don't technically need to be alive, like the front part of your face, jaw etc

PookBear fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 16, 2020

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
In New York exposed brain matter is on the list for obvious death injuries. "No one dies in an ambulance" is also a pretty common refrain so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't declared dead until at the hospital.

loving sucks either way. Becoming more glad I didn't follow through on flying for the Marines every time I see a flying mishap.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm the idiot. Volunteered to do a fun but mostly expensive and pointless training course that culminated with doing pew-pew stuff with simunitions in a conex villiage. Got mixed up and thought we had one more conex to clear in my lane, turns out we were on the very edge and the cadre I saw with her back to me wasn't someone I had gotten the drop on. So when I thought I was a sneaky badass and shot her six times in the back from 20 feet away she responded by yelling "what the gently caress, man" and shot me twice in the dick as retaliation. Good news was the groin protector works.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, that seems like a fair retribution.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
In fairness I didn't even feel the hits because of the big jockstrap I was wearing over my pants. I'm pretty sure at least one of mine drilled her in the lower back under her plate carrier though. I did tell her I owed her beer. My retribution came from a different guy later one who got into my blind spot and drilled me like four times in the left shoulder and left some nice welts there.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I got to pop some cops with simunition in during an impromptu training session after MPs found a couple thousand rounds that were about to expire. One of them was married to a 1C5 I worked with, so I got an invite to the CBQ range.

Never thought that setting up ambushes on police would result in a letter of appreciation.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 17, 2020

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

rip to his future.
https://twitter.com/halbritz/status/1317499325648392206?s=20

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

windshipper posted:

Yes. Gunshot wound to the head is not usually one of them. Also not laymen, but EMS usually.

Decapitation is, for example. Blunt force trauma+cardiac arrest is sometimes another, etc.

Edit: I say this having also done these various things. While I don’t claim to be an SME, I wouldn’t be shocked if hours later is just the time it took for someone to get there, call for help as he’s guppy breathing,, get an ambulance there and then get him to a hospital. Rural EMS is a gently caress.

I had one five years ago from a car accident the engine block came dismounted and went through the guys chest. I called the doc for termination and he asked if we had done any CPR and I was like “What, do you want me to press on the engine? There’s no cheat to compress!”

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like he beat you to the punch and compressed his own chest before you medical guys could charge him for it. :colbert:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had one five years ago from a car accident the engine block came dismounted and went through the guys chest. I called the doc for termination and he asked if we had done any CPR and I was like “What, do you want me to press on the engine? There’s no cheat to compress!”

NYE 2018/2019 I watched as a guy got hit so hard by a car at 70+ mph, that his R arm was partially amputated, his head was partially amputated, his feet were facing the wrong way, open lower leg fractures, brain matter exposed. Oh yeah, and he got knocked out of all of his clothes EXCEPT his socks.

I had to run a 4 lead on him to confirm death. Like, that should be a BLS skill, calling that one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

At least in CA as at the BLS level I could only call it if it was a total decapitation or rigor mortis.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

windshipper posted:

NYE 2018/2019 I watched as a guy got hit so hard by a car at 70+ mph, that his R arm was partially amputated, his head was partially amputated, his feet were facing the wrong way, open lower leg fractures, brain matter exposed. Oh yeah, and he got knocked out of all of his clothes EXCEPT his socks.

I had to run a 4 lead on him to confirm death. Like, that should be a BLS skill, calling that one.

I feel like I could have sold that call as a basic, but a lot of docs are going to ask for a 4-lead if it’s available just because they don’t have enough trust in the medics in their system. Depending on the system you don’t have to call for an obvious death anyway. I never called in to confirm if there was dependent lividity or decomposition, we’d just wait for pd and turn it over to them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hypnophant posted:

Depending on the system you don’t have to call for an obvious death anyway. I never called in to confirm if there was dependent lividity or decomposition, we’d just wait for pd and turn it over to them.

I prefer to call anyway, never hurts to get as much rear end-covering as possible. I only did two injuries incompatible with life calls (the other was a dude where him and his friends were out driving drunk, this guy was riding out the sunroof, which is not where you want to be when your car rear ends someone hard enough to roll over a few times). Mostly the obvious deaths were rigor/lividity and a couple days old.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I prefer to call anyway, never hurts to get as much rear end-covering as possible. I only did two injuries incompatible with life calls (the other was a dude where him and his friends were out driving drunk, this guy was riding out the sunroof, which is not where you want to be when your car rear ends someone hard enough to roll over a few times). Mostly the obvious deaths were rigor/lividity and a couple days old.

Nothing wrong with that. I think I stopped calling after a resident asked me to perform cpr on a doa with rigidity in front of family, so the trust issue goes both ways. I never had an injuries incompatible call, though, and i’m not sure how I would have handled that.

I worked exactly one nye in my career, and they couldn’t have paid me enough to work another one.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
gently caress, sorry for you folks, this is some heavy poo poo. I appreciate your work and your efforts.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

hypnophant posted:

I feel like I could have sold that call as a basic, but a lot of docs are going to ask for a 4-lead if it’s available just because they don’t have enough trust in the medics in their system. Depending on the system you don’t have to call for an obvious death anyway. I never called in to confirm if there was dependent lividity or decomposition, we’d just wait for pd and turn it over to them.

It’s entirely the doc in the system on this one. It ended up being a BLS report, but the doc wanted the strip anyways.

Booger Presley posted:

gently caress, sorry for you folks, this is some heavy poo poo. I appreciate your work and your efforts.

I have the best job in the world with twice as much time off as I do time on, and I have solid bennies.

Don’t feel sorry for me! :)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

windshipper posted:

I have the best job in the world with twice as much time off as I do time on, and I have solid bennies.

Don’t feel sorry for me! :)

the sheer amount of time off is what I miss most about EMS. I did Monday/Wednesday 24’s and had the rest of my week to chill (though tuesdays were lost causes). The gory poo poo never bothered me at all, nor did much else about the job besides the crap pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Booger Presley posted:

I've been out for almost a decade and don't miss it any more, but I still wouldn't trade that time for anything. I had some bad days, but the good ones made up for it.

The time off was great. I used to accrue PTO on overtime as well as pay, and I'd usually end up taking off around 6 weeks a year. Plus 12 days of sick time a year, and they never asked questions when you called in.