Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

qirex posted:

This pretty much kills any interest I had in it since the whole "all the dials with auto as an option" is basically my favorite thing about Fuji cameras. I'd guess this is more to interest Nikon/Canon/Sony folks who are used to that style. I know it's not the first Fuji with PASM, it's just disappointing. I'm hoping the stabilized sensor makes it into the X-Pro 4 maybe?

The PSAM Fuji bodies are pretty popular in Asia with the casual middle-class crowd. There are a poo poo ton of X-T100s on the local online marketplace. I think this camera will also be a winner for people with video-centric interests, especially the vlogger/youtuber types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Doesn’t Nikon have a mirrorless camera?

I need to go fondle them but I think XT4 or 30 will be my next camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They do, but like Canon they're new to it so there aren't a ton of lenses yet. If you don't care so much about video the Z5 looks great.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
They have an apsc mirrorless in the same mount too, the z50, with a whole two apsc lenses available, both kit zooms.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Canon have done a really good job with the RF lenses; not always the expected and frequently generating a lot of chatter. This covered over their slow start when it came to bodies, until they nailed it with the R5. Everything Nikon has done with the Z mount has been a bit middle-of-the-road. Steay not ground breaking. Predictable rather than confounding. Sony have the narrative of being the disruptive force upsetting the market "with he best technology". Canon have the narrative of being the 800 pound gorilla that has just woken up. Other than their existing userbase Nikon has failed to do enough to get chins wagging.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While I agree that Canon has had more hype friendly lenses than Nikon, I feel like Nikon's strategy of releasing a full lineup of 1.8 primes and workhorse zooms isn't necessarily worse. The D750 didn't look all that interesting on paper for hype/specs, but sold incredibly well for Nikon because it was a well balanced thing that hit a lot of people's needs. Nikon started with 1.8 primes that are under $1000, and now have 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. Canon just got around to affordable 35mm and 85mm lenses, and their only 50mm is the $2300 f1.2.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Nikon's approach has been Sensible. Sensible doesn't get the internet hyping the crap out of it.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I’ve been eyeing as XT-2 for a while as an upgrade from my X-T10, bu now that the X-S10 is out I can’t really think of a reason not to go for that. I’m digging the IBIS, bigger grip, and even though I’d miss dedicated ISO and exposure comp dials, it sounds like I can customize the unlabeled dials to do just that, right?

I do wish it was weather sealed though.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Even if it's not "weather sealed," Fuji stuff holds up very well and I took my X-T20 out to sea and in rainstorms way heavier than what 99% of people would tolerate even with gear, and I never had a problem even with the cheap XC lenses on. Unless you're doing something where dust or rain is really prevalent I wouldn't worry about that.

As much as I enjoy the Fuji dials, the X-S10 has the two wheels on the grip so yes, you can just customize them so it's not like you're losing anything functionality wise. I would just go with the X-S10 unless you really really need that sealing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ihmemies posted:

I just wish they released a FF body and stopped wasting their time with niche products. 2 big could be Sony and Fuji since they had such a long headstart to Nikon and Canon. Sony took the opportunity while Fuji wasted it completely. Now it is too late.

The difference between APS-C and Full frame is negligible for 90% of photographers, 90% of the time.

Why would you want to be the 4th best option in the FF category when you can be the best option in the APS-C category?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don’t think Fuji is going to bother with full frame, I’d guess their medium format-ish [it’s basically 4 APS sensors, right?] size is their long term strategy for when processing and storage get faster and cheaper for it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

qirex posted:

I don’t think Fuji is going to bother with full frame, I’d guess their medium format-ish [it’s basically 4 APS sensors, right?] size is their long term strategy for when processing and storage get faster and cheaper for it.

The Fuji product managers are on the record, multiple times, mentioning they have no intention of making full frame digital.

And to your point, yeah. GFX is for their pro customers, X-series is for the mainstream, pros, and video.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Yeast posted:

The difference between APS-C and Full frame is negligible for 90% of photographers, 90% of the time.

Why would you want to be the 4th best option in the FF category when you can be the best option in the APS-C category?

This is a correct take. If you’re a hobbyist you need to ask why you’re dumping a load of money into FF.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Fuji's APS-C system is "full frame". Perhaps you guys mean to say "35mm" ;)

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
The only camera I've ever had is the X-T20. I enjoy the intuitive manual dials. That said, the X-S10 has caught my eye as a cheaper X-T4 'lite'. I've never used PASM before. Is there an advantage to PASM? Maybe something like each mode having its own settings?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Another advantage is having custom modes (the x-s10 has four on the dial), which act like PSAM but also retain many other settings. Which settings are retained between modes can vary from camera to camera but it often includes customization (like what function buttons do) in addition to exposure settings.

I use custom modes all the time. I like being able to jump back to having the camera set up in a specific way without having to check, it definitely makes it easier to avoid mistakes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lusername posted:

The only camera I've ever had is the X-T20. I enjoy the intuitive manual dials. That said, the X-S10 has caught my eye as a cheaper X-T4 'lite'. I've never used PASM before. Is there an advantage to PASM? Maybe something like each mode having its own settings?

It's just kind of a different way to slice things. the PASM typically refer to 'Program' (auto), Aperture (where shutter speed is automatic), Shutter (where aperture is controlled automatically) and Manual. So the equivalent to P is full auto on the Fujis, A is putting the shutter-speed on auto, etc. Not many of the current companies put the aperture control on the lens, so it's a 'twin dial' setup.

whether you like it or prefer it is up to personal taste IMO. There can be some benefit to both, but the eyebrow-raising part of it for Fuji is that none of their other mid-tier and up bodies are setup like that. The X-As and X-T1000/2000 are, but they're firmly entry-level.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fools Infinite posted:

I use custom modes all the time. I like being able to jump back to having the camera set up in a specific way without having to check, it definitely makes it easier to avoid mistakes.

The Q menu already does this, I use it constantly. You get 8 slots too.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I don't have access to a camera to try, but my memory was that the custom modes don't override the labled physical dial settings and are more limited in what settings are loaded, which takes away benefit of knowing everything is set up without checking.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The Fuji FN buttons apparently never change, ever. I might be wrong on this. Even with the X-T4 they don't change when you go from stills to movie mode.

Also the X-S10 custom modes don't work to save video settings apparenty, just stills. This might be changed but it's what I've heard about the review models.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

XBenedict posted:

This is a correct take. If you’re a hobbyist you need to ask why you’re dumping a load of money into FF.

Plus if you are a hobby bird or zoo photographer you need to at least ask yourself “why not m4/3?” The lens weight and length more than makes up for the sensor size for most people. I’ve been happily taking zoo pictures at 600mm equivalent for years on a OMD EM-5 and it’s perfectly fine for my family calendars and whatnot.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Thoren posted:

The Fuji FN buttons apparently never change, ever. I might be wrong on this. Even with the X-T4 they don't change when you go from stills to movie mode.

Also the X-S10 custom modes don't work to save video settings apparenty, just stills. This might be changed but it's what I've heard about the review models.

You can change the function buttons in the menus. On the XT3 it’s on the blue wrench setup menu, I think it says dial/button setup. You can also hold disp/back to skip to the menu item, or I think you can hold the button you want to change to go straight to changing it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

red19fire posted:

You can change the function buttons in the menus. On the XT3 it’s on the blue wrench setup menu, I think it says dial/button setup. You can also hold disp/back to skip to the menu item, or I think you can hold the button you want to change to go straight to changing it.

To clarify: you can edit the buttons on a Fuji, but if you switch from video to stills, the functions don’t automatically change.

The Movie/Photo toggle on the X-T4 does hold promise though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Splinter posted:

Fuji's APS-C system is "full frame". Perhaps you guys mean to say "35mm" ;)

Technically meaningless since "35mm" refers to the width of the film stock, not the dimensions of the frame. Perhaps you mean to say "135 format" ;)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yeast posted:

I don't want it anymore. But it would have been nice to grow a mirrorless ff system in 2014. What if x-t1 had been ff in 2014? Fuji could now be big and as popular or even more popular than Sony, since Fuji's menus aren't that horrible and Fuji makes very good lenses...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Even if it started out as a technical description, the word "full-frame" is just marketing at this point. It's like looking down on mid-sized pickup trucks because they aren't full-sized. You want full right? Three quarters would only leave you one quarter unsatisfied!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Ihmemies posted:

I don't want it anymore. But it would have been nice to grow a mirrorless ff system in 2014. What if x-t1 had been ff in 2014? Fuji could now be big and as popular or even more popular than Sony, since Fuji's menus aren't that horrible and Fuji makes very good lenses...

Fuji's most interesting quality is that they actually focused on building out a full APS-C system rather than treating it like babies first camera. They have a relatively small market share, but by not having to support two different lens systems they were able to deliver a much wider variety of native lenses optimized for the format. Unfortunately there lenses still tend to to be larger and heavier than the equivalent Canon and Sony APS-C lenses I spot checked. Lens pricing is also not that much cheaper than some of the equivalent FF lenses.

If they had split their resources between APS-C and FF (And Medium Format) I don't see them being competitive in either.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Fuji's most interesting quality is that they actually focused on building out a full APS-C system rather than treating it like babies first camera. They have a relatively small market share, but by not having to support two different lens systems they were able to deliver a much wider variety of native lenses optimized for the format. Unfortunately there lenses still tend to to be larger and heavier than the equivalent Canon and Sony APS-C lenses I spot checked. Lens pricing is also not that much cheaper than some of the equivalent FF lenses.

Right, but the bigger point - Fuji has about three times the native lens lineup of Canon's M lineup. Prices can be higher but the M lenses are almost all lower-level items - the 22 pancake was really good, but the standard isn't nearly the quality or speed as the Fuji 18-55, and is more expensive than the XC standard zoom while providing about the same quality. Unless you want to bolt EF lenses onto the body, the selection and path for growth is really limited - and if you do start using the bigger lenses it makes the cameras less toss-into-a-bag-able. That's why I switched to Fuji.

the full lens lineup and shooting experience really are killer features for Fuji. I'm glad they haven't changed that too much.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

harperdc posted:

Right, but the bigger point - Fuji has about three times the native lens lineup of Canon's M lineup. Prices can be higher but the M lenses are almost all lower-level items - the 22 pancake was really good, but the standard isn't nearly the quality or speed as the Fuji 18-55, and is more expensive than the XC standard zoom while providing about the same quality. Unless you want to bolt EF lenses onto the body, the selection and path for growth is really limited - and if you do start using the bigger lenses it makes the cameras less toss-into-a-bag-able. That's why I switched to Fuji.

the full lens lineup and shooting experience really are killer features for Fuji. I'm glad they haven't changed that too much.

Basically every M shooter I know is unanimously jealous of the Fuji 18-55mm F2.8-4. Canon has frustratingly stuck with an arbitrary physical diameter limit for M lenses which seems to have kept lenses like this from being possible. There was a rumor Canon might introduce a similar lens this fall, but it seems unlikely at this point.

Honestly though, looking at the huge list of Fuji lenses that's really the only one that I'd buy if you could get it in an EF-M mount. The 8-16 is great, I'm sure, but it's gently caress-off huge and (somewhat justifiably) expensive. Sigma has a 16mm F/1.4 M-native lens which is less than half what the Fuji costs new. 90mm F/2 could be cool if I shot portraits, but that's assuming it's much sharper than EF. Everything else isn't very tempting.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 19, 2020

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

The Fuji 18-55 is great but EF-M is really cheap if you can get by with the four good lenses (32mm, 22mm, 11-22mm, and 18-150mm). The 55-250mm STM, 50mm 1.8 STM, and 85mm 1.8 also adapt well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

loaf posted:

The Fuji 18-55 is great but EF-M is really cheap if you can get by with the four good lenses (32mm, 22mm, 11-22mm, and 18-150mm). The 55-250mm STM, 50mm 1.8 STM, and 85mm 1.8 also adapt well.

Each of those four is about the cost of the Fujicrons new so it’s not much of a value proposition. And while the adapter worked well it still makes the thing a bit of a brick to use those bigger lenses.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Honestly I planned to get a Canon 6D instead of my X-T1 at the time (other choice was the 80D), because I was so hung up on the full frame sensor, but I realized it's not going to make my photos look good. The X-T series' size and ergonomics is perfect for me and Fuji already has MF for the pixel peepers.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
It would sort of be fun if Canon could make an EF to EF-M tilt-shift adapter with the larger image circle on an EF lens, but as long as they keep treating M as the scrub tier we'll never know.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing, I took my Sony to the botanical gardens this weekend and had a hard time autofocusing on a tiny plant as the camera kept locking to the background. I flipped the lens to MF and was blown away by the zoom-in focus aid the A7iii gave me. Made for some tack sharp focus on exactly what I was aiming for. Really was surprised at how usable it was once I got the hang of where the MF ring was :lol:

Thoren
May 28, 2008

red19fire posted:

I meant that they don't swap along with your custom modes. Like, you can customize them once but then they don't change when you swap to video mode from stills, for example.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Schneider Heim posted:

Honestly I planned to get a Canon 6D instead of my X-T1 at the time (other choice was the 80D), because I was so hung up on the full frame sensor, but I realized it's not going to make my photos look good. The X-T series' size and ergonomics is perfect for me and Fuji already has MF for the pixel peepers.

I’m sorry what? Why would manual focus be for “pixel peepers”, not trying to be a dick but the logic here is broken right? Like anything above 8mb for 90% of people who will only use web size is arguably all marketing, poo poo being in actual focus is not?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I think by MF they mean medium format.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

They meant motherfuckers. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ohhhh ok, to be fair having seen r/photographybuyanentrylevelnikonlikeme it could have gone any of the three ways