Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Down ballot is going to be interesting because I think there is a very small chance some members of the Texas Supreme Court could be knocked out. I've convinced several Republican/Fed Soc members from my law school class at to vote against them, Busby is the easiest to convince them to vote against. (Due to how badly the TX SC handled the pandemic Bar exam) They've gone on to convince their family members and conservative friends from outside of law school. At least one of the people I convinced is still voting for Trump but the others are voting Biden. They've never voted for a Democrat in their life. I wish we had straight ticket voting this time but maybe some of the MAGA Cult will only vote Trump and leave the rest blank.

I feel like Charlie Brown thinking I'm finally going to kick the football.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Down ballot is going to be interesting because I think there is a very small chance some members of the Texas Supreme Court could be knocked out. I've convinced several Republican/Fed Soc members from my law school class at to vote against them, Busby is the easiest to convince them to vote against. (Due to how badly the TX SC handled the pandemic Bar exam) They've gone on to convince their family members and conservative friends from outside of law school. At least one of the people I convinced is still voting for Trump but the others are voting Biden. They've never voted for a Democrat in their life. I wish we had straight ticket voting this time but maybe some of the MAGA Cult will only vote Trump and leave the rest blank.

I feel like Charlie Brown thinking I'm finally going to kick the football.

So I want to vote straight down ballot D, but I like to at least be able to justify it. Judges trip me up. I have SC Place 6, 7, 8, and Chief on my ballot - are the Rs indisputably bad?

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 21, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

So I want to vote straight down ballot D, but I like to at least be able to justify it. Judges trip me up. I have SC Place 6, 7, 8, and Chief on my ballot - are the Rs indisputably bad?

You’re asking if the Republicans are indisputably bad. In 2020?

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

You’re asking if the Republicans are indisputably bad. In 2020?

I just want to be an informed voter, even if I already know the answer! It never leads to me voting R, ever, but it gives me some peace of mind.

I finished my ballot anyway, except for a non-partisan city council race. I was able to justify how I was going to vote straight ticket anyway because all these R justices were endorsed by the Right to Life folks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my pflugerville city council races are between republicans who want to reduce property taxes and democrats who want to reduce property taxes

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I just want to be an informed voter, even if I already know the answer! It never leads to me voting R, ever, but it gives me some peace of mind.

I finished my ballot anyway, except for a non-partisan city council race. I was able to justify how I was going to vote straight ticket anyway because all these R justices were endorsed by the Right to Life folks.

The SC has handed down a bunch of lovely restricted voting rulings, mail-in voting specifically was struck down from being expanded during this pandemic. Vote all the lovely R judges out if you like voting rights.

b0ng fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 21, 2020

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

i say swears online posted:

my pflugerville city council races are between republicans who want to reduce property taxes and democrats who want to reduce property taxes

Same with Mansfield mayor

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I did not vote completely straight ticket because my wife is a lawyer and some of the Harris county judges she has to deal with who rode the Beto express into office straight up do not understand the law. I already threw away my cheat sheet of judges to vote against but it was maybe five tops on my ballot all lower courts, not criminal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This is giving me flashbacks to good ol' west Texas ballots where roughly 85% of the races are unopposed republican, republican vs wackier republican, or republican vs libertarian.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Early voting turnout percentage in graph form:

https://twitter.com/cohokelly/status/1318906084548055041?s=21

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

i say swears online posted:

Yeah, that sucks, but implementation matters.

The Republicans will "reduce property taxes" only for people with multiple houses or some other scheme to ensure the rich get richer. They always do.

The democrats will "reduce property taxes" either evenly across the board or scale it so that those who need the most help get more help. Really good democrats will sometimes balance tax cuts for poor people with tax hikes on rich people to avoid cutting social services.

And, of course, the city council will do more than just one thing before the next election.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Over 5.3 million votes in Texas

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElectProject/status/1318937440669880327

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LLSix posted:

Yeah, that sucks, but implementation matters.

The Republicans will "reduce property taxes" only for people with multiple houses or some other scheme to ensure the rich get richer. They always do.

The democrats will "reduce property taxes" either evenly across the board or scale it so that those who need the most help get more help. Really good democrats will sometimes balance tax cuts for poor people with tax hikes on rich people to avoid cutting social services.

And, of course, the city council will do more than just one thing before the next election.

The main problem is that if democrats want to do those things state law basically doesn’t allow it

There’s no way to impose taxes specifically on rich people (income taxes are banned, everyone has to have the same property tax rate) and you can only give property tax exemptions based on % of value which necessarily helps people with more expensive houses

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Pretty wild considering the ~9 million total votes cast in Texas in the 2016 election.

I wonder what actual election day is going to look like? Deserted because everyone voted early or even busier than last time because everyone is energized this time?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I did not vote straight D - there were some Republican judges that I voted for because the Dems are terribly unqualified (Ursula Hall and Julia Maldanado are the names I remember). There were a few others that my litigator friends highlighted, but all for trial court level. I voted straight D for appellate courts due to SCOTX nonsense on voting rights.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My mom called me to tell me she voted for a Democrat for president for the first time in her life! This was down in Orange Co, and she was telling me about this big Trumpy old dude who walks in and this old lady poll worker comes up and offers him a mask and he's like "I DON'T BELIEVE IN THAT COMMIE CRAP". As her and my dad were leaving, a family with a couple of kids was walking in and one of the kids asked his dad if they should put their masks on, and he says "The Governor said we don't have to while early voting" and she told me he had a mask dangling around his neck.

These loving people.

Sab0921 posted:

I did not vote straight D - there were some Republican judges that I voted for because the Dems are terribly unqualified (Ursula Hall and Julia Maldanado are the names I remember). There were a few others that my litigator friends highlighted, but all for trial court level. I voted straight D for appellate courts due to SCOTX nonsense on voting rights.

I voted straight D as fast as I could as a protest against eliminating straight ticket voting, didn't even look at half the names. I didn't vote in the BoE elections because 1)I don't have kids and 2) They didn't disclose party affiliation.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Hm, let's take a look at the Hall v Bain race

A black woman who has been an associate judge for 15 years and is 'in trouble' for delaying judgments letting companies off of wrongful death suits vs. a rich white dude who went to the exact same law school but is endorsed by 'Conservative Republicans of Harris County' and the 'Harris County Conservative Tea Party'

:thunk:

Not interested in knowing more about your decisionmaking, bud. :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1318975645020528641

To say that Qunnipiac has been very good for Biden this cycle would be understating it. However, that Cornyn margin seems to be about right so who knows.

Captain Monkey posted:

Hm, a black woman who has been an associate judge for 15 years and is 'in trouble' for delaying judgments letting companies off of wrongful death suits vs. a rich white dude who went to the exact same law school but is endorsed by 'Conservative Republicans of Harris County' and the 'Harris County Conservative Tea Party'

:thunk:

Let's not vote shame, people have a right to vote for who they want (unless it''s third party!!)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1318975645020528641

To say that Qunnipiac has been very good for Biden this cycle would be understating it. However, that Cornyn margin seems to be about right so who knows.

Let's not vote shame, people have a right to vote for who they want (unless it''s third party!!)

If you post your 'analysis' and it's just terminal centrism and right-wing lies you swallowed, I think it's fair to call it out so that you don't influence other people with your bad opinions.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I didn't vote in the BoE elections because 1)I don't have kids and 2) They didn't disclose party affiliation.

The kids of today can grow up to be the chuds of tomorrow, so it’s still important. You gotta do research though, yeah. Up here in Pflugerville it was a retired 26 year veteran principal who had pretty good stuff on his vote411 vs. a MLM “Entrepreneur“ stay at home mom who just moved to Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If there was a candidate and all my friends who knew that candidate personally told me that they sucked or were unqualified, I'd probably take that under consideration.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sure, but since, from the evidence, it sounds like their friends might be corporate lawyers upset that the judge didn't make the Wrongful Death suits go away fast enough...

I think actually talking about the candidates is a good idea.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there's no way in hell I would vote for a republican

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
all of the 20 somethings i know have voted. except for my roommate who is registered in nebraska and didnt update. owell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me neither, but I've also never been presented with any impetus to vote otherwise. Because my political philosophy holds that in a fptp system, only two parties are viable, and because the GOP has demonstrated they are incapable of governance, I believe straight ticket voting is the only rational course.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

zoux posted:

If he's pre apologizing for supporting Trump, his internals must be scaring him

All of the ads I see for him are ... Max Headroom style 5-10 second blipverts:

"He help get the rapekit backlog processed!"

"He works with democrats"

"He helps lower drug costs"

And not mentioning he's a Republican.. wonder why. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/marisacharp/status/1318962005542391811

Hospitalizations by TSA region

We are "O" so we're not seeing that in higher hospitalizations yet. Something to keep an eye on, that 15% threshold is where restrictions start kicking back in.

xpost from the Austin thread. Look how fast region I went from zero problems to second worse in the state

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Captain Monkey posted:

Sure, but since, from the evidence, it sounds like their friends might be corporate lawyers upset that the judge didn't make the Wrongful Death suits go away fast enough...

You are definitely reading a lot into my decision making.

I'm an attorney in Houston (not even a corporate lawyer!), I have a lot of attorney friends in Houston - some PI, some corporate, some family, some doing other things. Most of them are involved in Democratic politics in one way or another and every single one of them will expound on how lovely Ursula Hall is at her job (it is not just delaying judgments, but failing to do anything in her courtroom in a timely manner, failing to understand basic civil procedure, flat out not showing up to scheduled hearings). She even managed to draw 2 challengers in the primary because of it.

So people I know and trust, who have experience with this particular judge, have recommended that I vote against her - I took that recommendation - apologies if it made you mad.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 21, 2020

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TropicalCoke posted:

all of the 20 somethings i know have voted. except for my roommate who is registered in nebraska and didnt update. owell

https://sos.nebraska.gov/elections/early-voting-0

They can and should get an absentee ballot. They have 2 more days to request it! Go go go!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Pretty wild considering the ~9 million total votes cast in Texas in the 2016 election.

I wonder what actual election day is going to look like? Deserted because everyone voted early or even busier than last time because everyone is energized this time?

It’ll probably be chock full of Trump masks and flags, leading to allegations of election tampering when the results come back closer than 80/20 Trump because “the polls were jam packed for Trump all day”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/thedailytexan/status/1318982307567570947

Well I guess that's that.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Captain Monkey posted:

That and for political positions (and that is exactly what elected judges himself are) "age and experience" counts for jack poo poo.

Also cry me a river about judges not knowing the ins and outs of laws that written by racist white men to benefit them.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Nothing brings me more joy than seeing people mad when Emmett lost to Hildago for Harris County judge. Another straight ticket democrat vote by me in Fort Bend. My wife is a terrible corporate lawyer. Does that make my vote count more!?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
even the people who write the laws dont know how the law works, how is that a disqualification

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I also voted straight ticket democrat and while I wasn't super thrilled with all the candidates when looking at the opposition it was not a difficult choice.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Nothing brings me more joy than seeing people mad when Emmett lost to Hildago for Harris County judge. Another straight ticket democrat vote by me in Fort Bend. My wife is a terrible corporate lawyer. Does that make my vote count more!?

Agreed - it was and still is beautiful. I do enjoy watching Ed on the news trying to stay relevant by criticizing Hidalgo.

KP George doing the same in Ft Bend was beautiful. Your wife, being a corporate lawyer, should be stripped of her vote completely.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Marxalot posted:

Otoh if presidential aspirationals start thinking Texas matters at all then we could finally get to abuse the poo poo out of them like those random midwestern hellholes do. We could have our own butter cow and convince the bastards that, actually, eating the a whole rear end habanero is a time honored Texan Tradition that we very much care about politicians following. Maybe force them to eat an exceptionally dry brisket on a stick.

You just described the state fair.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
taking advice on judges from my uncle who defended Union Carbide

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1318992331907997702

See, I think this is what has confounded the national Dems, who look at our demos and think that there's this slumbering, liberal Latino voting base ready to spring free. I think it's just that Texas Latino voters are just more conservative than other states/nationally.

https://mobile.twitter.com/srl/status/1318990892049616896

Lol

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Voted in Montgomery county today. Never had much of a line before, even on election days. Today it took about 20 minutes to get to a booth.

I was surprised the number of people actually wearing masks was so high. Must have been like 70% of people.