Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

El Fideo posted:

I'm going to ask it again, why does Sybil have slaves chained up in a basement?

Because she’s a vigilante now. Presumably she’s trying to re-educate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Bit of an insult to Tank Girl there.

Why is Vimes wearing eyeliner, acting like a discount Jack Sparrow, and playing in a high school garage punk band?

Tank Girl (the movie) sucks. I got the VHS for free and was like "oh nice!" but when I started watching it, it turned into "aww, nice!'.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

:lmao: The more I see it the worse it gets.

I'm hearing rumors that The Watch is secretly a government project to produce an endless source of pure, clean energy. They're sending a team to hook up wires to Terry Pratchett's grave and harness the power from the constant spinning.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Bit of an insult to Tank Girl there.

Tank Girl (the movie) had pretty much the exact same aesthetic and faux punk attitude.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

El Fideo posted:

I'm going to ask it again, why does Sybil have slaves chained up in a basement?

I think there was something in the releases about her being a vigilante?

Alhazred posted:

Tank Girl (the movie) had pretty much the exact same aesthetic and faux punk attitude.

Except Tank Girl knew drat well it was a loving joke and leaned in on it for the laughs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stroth posted:

Except Tank Girl knew drat well it was a loving joke and leaned in on it for the laughs.

It wasn't funny.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Stroth posted:

jesus christ
there's no need to make this show, just dump a truckload of poo poo on pterry's grave and be done with it

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Why is Sybil now a young and thin vigilante

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Where's Angua, anyway?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Saki posted:

Where's Angua, anyway?

She's the shortest one.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Saki posted:

Where's Angua, anyway?

you know how Angua is always described as having long flowing hair that basically has a mind of its own?

just think of the opposite of that

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Saki posted:

Why is Sybil now a young and thin vigilante

Much worse, where is Colon and Nobby?
As with any TV series, it only counts as diversity if your actors are young and hot.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cardiac posted:

Much worse, where is Colon and Nobby?
As with any TV series, it only counts as diversity if your actors are young and hot.

The lack of Colon and Nobs was the first red flag for me months ago. They're the core of The Watch in so many ways.

But I held out hope until I saw the trailer with Washed Up Jared Leto cosplaying Jack Sparrow.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i could have liked the cherri bit, if she were still a dwarf and not loving taller than carrot (maybe? hard to tell)

plus the whole "she. she. me" is atrocious for trying to do a ~woke~ character

(im a trans woman im an expert)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah it was incredibly hamfisted

like I get that Carrot is (at least in theory) from way out in the sticks and has never seen someone like Cheery/Cherie, but questioning her gender like that just made him seem like an rear end in a top hat

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I saw the cast picture and took me forever to find Carrot because the dude they picked is not ginger or tall enough.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah it was incredibly hamfisted

like I get that Carrot is (at least in theory) from way out in the sticks and has never seen someone like Cheery/Cherie, but questioning her gender like that just made him seem like an rear end in a top hat

His original reaction to Cheery is hardly the epitome of sensitivity.

quote:

"...Are you all right, Corporal Littlebottom?”
“Yes, sir,” said Cheri.
“You’re wearing a…a…a…” Carrot’s mind rebelled at the thought of what the dwarf was wearing and settled for: “A kilt?”
“Yes, sir. A skirt, sir. A leather one, sir.”
Carrot tried to find a suitable response and had to resort to: “Oh.”
“I’ll come with you,” said Angua. “Cheri can keep an eye on the desk.”
“A…kilt,” said Carrot. “Oh. Well, er…just keep an eye on things. We won’t be long. And…er…just keep behind the desk, all right?”
“Come on,” said Angua.

When they were out in the fog Carrot said, “Do you think there’s something a bit…odd about Littlebottom?”
“Seems like a perfectly ordinary female to me,” said Angua.
“Female? He told you he was female?”
“She,” Angua corrected. “This is Ankh-Morpork, you know. We’ve got extra pronouns here.”
She could smell his bewilderment. Of course, everyone knew that, somewhere down under all those layers of leather and chain mail, dwarfs came in enough different types to ensure the future production of more dwarfs, but it was not a subject that dwarfs discussed other than at those essential points in a courtship when embarrassment might otherwise arise.

“Well, I would have thought she’d have the decency to keep it to herself,” Carrot said finally. “I mean, I’ve nothing against females. I’m pretty certain my stepmother is one. But I don’t think it’s very clever, you know, to go around drawing attention to the fact.”
“Carrot, I think you’ve got something wrong with your head,” said Angua.
“What?”
“I think you may have got it stuck up your bum. I mean, good grief! A bit of make-up and a dress and you’re acting as though she’d become Miss Va Va Voom and started dancing on tables down at the Skunk Club!”

There were a few seconds of shocked silence while they both considered the image of a dwarfish strip-tease dancer. Both minds rebelled.

“Anyway,” said Angua, “if people can’t be themselves in Ankh-Morpork, where can they?”
“There’ll be trouble when the other dwarfs notice,” said Carrot. “I could almost see his knees. Her knees.”
“Everyone’s got knees.”
“Perhaps, but it’s asking for trouble to flaunt them. I mean, I’m used to knees. I can look at knees and think, ‘Oh, yes, knees, they’re just hinges in your legs,’ but some of the lads—”
Angua sniffed. “He turned left here. Some of the lads what?”
“Well…I don’t know how they’ll react, that’s all. You shouldn’t have encouraged her. I mean, of course there’s female dwarfs but…I mean, they have the decency not to show it.”

He heard Angua gasp. Her voice sounded rather far away when she said, “Carrot, you know I’ve always respected your attitude to the citizens of Ankh-Morpork.”
“Yes?”
“I’ve been impressed by the way you really seem to be blind to things like shape and color.”
“Yes?”
“And you always seem to care for people.”
“Yes?”
“And you know that I feel considerable affection for you.”
“Yes?”
“It’s just that, sometimes…”
“Yes?”
“I really, really, really wonder why.”

And this is Carrot we're talking about, the guy who should have been an ancient king and sat under a tree and been noble and wise and is usually an absolute paragon of morality.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 15, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Trin Tragula posted:

His original reaction to Cheery is hardly the epitome of sensitivity.

And this is Carrot we're talking about, the guy who should have been an ancient king and sat under a tree and been noble and wise and is usually an absolute paragon of morality.

biiiiiiiiiig difference between having that knee conversation with her in the room vs not in the room. (admittedly, i'd probably know they were going to have a conversation like that from the whole kilt thing, but at least cherri doesn't hear it in the book)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there's also a pretty big difference between "I assume this person is male because they are a dwarf and all* dwarfs are male" and "I assume this person is male because they look male to me"

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

T-man posted:

i could have liked the cherri bit, if she were still a dwarf and not loving taller than carrot (maybe? hard to tell)

plus the whole "she. she. me" is atrocious for trying to do a ~woke~ character

(im a trans woman im an expert)

I always thought cheery's original story and awakening was really well done in the books tbh

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Saki posted:

I always thought cheery's original story and awakening was really well done in the books tbh

It's also impressive that he managed to do IT so well in an era where transpersons were considered a joke at best.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Even in death, he keeps finding new ways to be better than JK Rowling.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Asgerd posted:

Even in death, he keeps finding new ways to be better than JK Rowling.

Not a high bar to clear.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

T-man posted:

biiiiiiiiiig difference between having that knee conversation with her in the room vs not in the room. (admittedly, i'd probably know they were going to have a conversation like that from the whole kilt thing, but at least cherri doesn't hear it in the book)

Also important to remember is that once Carrot gets over his initial shock (and gets a talking-to by Angua), he is supportive of Cheery's gender expression and never misgenders her again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah basically the definition of a teachable moment

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I finished the Moist von Lipwig books. I loved the relentless house of cards high-wire act Moist was running throughout the first two books. Raising Steam was a different experience. I think it worked well as a long episodic (and ultimately low-tension) epilogue for the city of Ankh-Morpork as a whole, but not nearly enough Moist doing Moist stuff. I would have enjoyed a smaller scale Moist teams up with Of The Twilight The Darkness for goblin-related hijinks, minus the parts where Moist becomes a competent fighter. I liked it better than Snuff but it's pretty low on the list of Discworld books I've read so far.

I've finally doubled back to start the Witches books, just finished Witches Abroad. I'm enjoying their sillier nature, I can't help but picture Granny and Nanny Ogg as Bea Arthur and Betty White. Also, much like the Golden Girls, it's hilarious how these are possibly the horniest books in the Discworld series.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A wizard's MASSIVE COCK has a PENIS on the end.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A wizard's MASSIVE COCK has a PENIS on the end.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They changed the lyrics a bit for the new TV adaptation.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tokelau All Star posted:

I finished the Moist von Lipwig books. I loved the relentless house of cards high-wire act Moist was running throughout the first two books. Raising Steam was a different experience. I think it worked well as a long episodic (and ultimately low-tension) epilogue for the city of Ankh-Morpork as a whole, but not nearly enough Moist doing Moist stuff. I would have enjoyed a smaller scale Moist teams up with Of The Twilight The Darkness for goblin-related hijinks, minus the parts where Moist becomes a competent fighter. I liked it better than Snuff but it's pretty low on the list of Discworld books I've read so far.

I've finally doubled back to start the Witches books, just finished Witches Abroad. I'm enjoying their sillier nature, I can't help but picture Granny and Nanny Ogg as Bea Arthur and Betty White. Also, much like the Golden Girls, it's hilarious how these are possibly the horniest books in the Discworld series.

That's a pretty good casting for those two, although more real-world Betty White than Golden Girls Betty White.

Nanny Ogg is brutal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

That's a pretty good casting for those two, although more real-world Betty White than Golden Girls Betty White.

Nanny Ogg is brutal.

I just remembered there's also a Vorbis in the books. Koinkidink? I THINK SO!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just remembered there's also a Vorbis in the books. Koinkidink? I THINK SO!

Vorbis is named after a Discworld character Exquisitor Vorbis in Small Gods by Sir Terry Pratchett. The Ogg format, however, is not named after Nanny Ogg, another Discworld character; the name is in fact derived from ogging, jargon that arose in the computer game Netrek.[11]

:(

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BurgerQuest posted:

Vorbis is named after a Discworld character Exquisitor Vorbis in Small Gods by Sir Terry Pratchett. The Ogg format, however, is not named after Nanny Ogg, another Discworld character; the name is in fact derived from ogging, jargon that arose in the computer game Netrek.[11]

:(

Oh huh, I thought he'd named both characters after the format for some reason. Neat little tidbit.

Also Terry was the absolute nerd king, wasn't he?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be honest while Vorbis is a reasonably good company name its worrying it was named for the character Vorbis.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Serperoth posted:

Also Terry was the absolute nerd king, wasn't he?

He had a knack for collecting trivia. My favorite is the Selachiis and Venturis as old feuding families. Once I learned about the Venturi effect in fluid dynamics it led to some frantic googling to get the rest of the joke.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Bruceski posted:

He had a knack for collecting trivia. My favorite is the Selachiis and Venturis as old feuding families. Once I learned about the Venturi effect in fluid dynamics it led to some frantic googling to get the rest of the joke.

I just went down this google hole and god drat it Terry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The L-Space annotation file is a wonderful resource.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strange Cares posted:

I just went down this google hole and god drat it Terry.

They were fascinating books to grow up with because as we got older we'd spot a new joke every time we re-read them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm very excited to see how many more jokes I get in Maskerade now that I've seen Phantom of the Opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ The big one you'll get - or not - is that Walter Plinge is based directly on Frank Spencer from the British sitcom Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em. If you were paying attention to that then practically the whole plot gets spoiled for you, as Frank was played by Michael Crawford - who later achieved even greater fame playing the Phantom.

Bruceski posted:

He got a lot of them from fans, but he had a truly formidable collection of his own. I used to trade trivia facts for footnotes at signings. One time I asked him if he didn't think the 14th of May was a very dangerous date because it's when all the bad things happen in folk songs; he almost immediately began singing When I Was On Horseback under his breath. The first verse of the song runs thus:

When I was on horseback wasn't I pretty?
When I was on horseback wasn't I gay?
Wasn't I pretty when I entered Cork City
And met with my downfall on the 14th of May?

It's a version of The Unfortunate Rake, an 18th-century ballad wherein the singer tells of how they came across a young man dying who passes on his regrets and wishes for his funeral - the version best known to Americans is The Streets of Laredo. Note that while all versions imply the young man was wounded in battle, the real implication (except in the US version) is that he's dying of syphilis - probably contracted during the events of The Bonny Black Hare, which is also set on the 14th of May and is a lot less subtle.

If you're curious, the footnote I got for that one was about substitions. Where superstitions are things that are patently false but people believe them anyway, substitions are things that nobody believes despite them being blindingly obvious (e.g. "It won't start working just because you hit it.")

Jedit fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 25, 2020