Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I don't know about national cases, but in South Texas there are several schools and one entire school district that's completely closed due to COVID cases, and football games being rescheduled for December for the same reasons. I don't think we're in the clear by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

I don't know about national cases, but in South Texas there are several schools and one entire school district that's completely closed due to COVID cases, and football games being rescheduled for December for the same reasons. I don't think we're in the clear by a long shot.

I don't think we're remotely in the clear, we just hit a national new case record today. And the articles I've read say that transmission at schools probably happens in locker rooms or other communal extra curriculars. I don't think opening back up with no restrictions or precautions is warranted, but the available data we have right now doesn't support significant transmission during classroom instruction.

Also how many cases happened in those campuses before they were closed, or were they just closed in light of the massive amount of community spread in the region? HISD closed three campuses this week because of single cases, and then immediately revised their policy to require two positive cases before they close a campus.

https://twitter.com/tornadotrackers/status/1319685227879534595

And look they're all headed directly for my windshield

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 23, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

skipdogg posted:

The opposite is true as well. I have been with my kids, without even an hours break since March 3rd. I love my kids to death, but having the house to myself while they were at school was so nice. I've been WFH for like 4 years now so not much has changed for me, but man it would be nice to be able to listen to some loud music with cuss words in it or something.

Your kids will just learn cuss words at school anyway

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The evidence is that grade schools are not turning out to be hot spots in the way bars and clubs are. But they can still be a vector, and the higher the background of cases, the worse "normal" spread can get. A rational policy would've kept bars and restaurants shut down so that we could test/trace and handle school outbreaks, instead the spring semester will start against a background of a shitshow third wave and make them terrified to re-open anything new when it might tip the scales of hospital capacity.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Hawkline posted:

I feel like we were largely forced into sending our kids back to school this week by circumstances described in that article very well. This hit my 7th grader really hard, he's gone from consistent As to not even passing some classes, even classes he's traditionally excellent and excited about (science). His motivation is decimated and his attentiveness is inadequate for the workload they're receiving, and we're still seeing the curriculum march along at a normal pace. He's anxious as hell and we've seen new behaviors surface that i think are not healthy and this is not uncommon among the kids i'd consider to be his peers. The teachers have been understanding and working extra to pull kids along, but I feel like if you start from the assumption that the curriculum is immutable and every grading period must encompass normal timelines, we're going to see exactly these results. A majority of the parents we know like us who were holding on to remote as long as possible have given up and sent their kids back for the grading period that started this week, because we feel somewhere between panicked and left behind.

This is my son as well. He got so behind and stressed out that I gave in and sent him to school for face-to-face instruction. Only helped for a short time. I was so worried I even contacted the school social worker for help. She told me she is seeing this with a crapload of kids. That made me feel only slightly better.

My son is in high school. Our school just allowed a new wave of kids in who had been remote learning. In the last two weeks, I've received six emails for Covid case confirmations, which always read "one or more students and/or faculty have been confirmed positive." They are doing contact tracing a bit, it also lets us know that those exposed are quarantining for 14 days. Six notices in the last ten school days. I am growing increasingly nervous and worried for my son and the rest of our household. Its all very confusing. I am not sure if I made the right decision.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

smoobles posted:

Should I be making GBS threads myself ?

No, but it is notable that all of the low turnout Clinton counties are majority Hispanic. This will be a drag on Biden's chances state-wide.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno about El Paso, but turnout is almost always poor in South Texas

https://twitter.com/nachoaguilar/status/1319701709107716098
Local boy makes RAHOWA

quote:

United States Attorney Erica H. MacDonald today announced a federal criminal complaint against IVAN HARRISON HUNTER, 26, charging him with participating in a riot. HUNTER, who was arrested on October 21, 2020, in San Antonio, Texas, made his initial appearance yesterday before Magistrate Judge Henry Bemporad in U.S. District Court in San Antonio, Texas.

According to the allegations in the criminal complaint and law enforcement affidavit, in late May of 2020, the FBI initiated an investigation into members of the “Boogaloo Bois” based on information that members were discussing committing crimes of violence and were maintaining an armed presence on the streets of Minneapolis during civil unrest following the death of George Floyd. The Boogaloo Bois are a loosely-connected group of individuals who espouse violent anti-government sentiments. The term “Boogaloo” itself references an impending second civil war in the United States and is associated with violent uprisings against the government.

According to the allegations in the criminal complaint and law enforcement affidavit, between May 27 and May 28, 2020, HUNTER, who claims to be a member of the Boogaloo Bois, traveled in interstate commerce from Texas to Minneapolis, Minnesota, with the intent to participate in a riot. Federal agents reviewed a video taken on the night of May 28, 2020, that shows an individual, later identified as HUNTER, discharged 13 rounds from an AK-47 style semiautomatic rifle into the Minneapolis Police Department’s Third Precinct building. At the time of the shooting there were other individuals believed to be looters still inside the building. Law enforcement recovered from the scene discharged rifle casings consistent with an AK-47 style firearm.

According to the allegations in the criminal complaint and law enforcement affidavit, upon returning to Texas, HUNTER made various statements on social media describing the violence in which he engaged in Minneapolis. On June 3, 2020, officers with the Austin Police Department conducted a traffic stop on a pick-up truck for numerous traffic violations. HUNTER was one of three occupants in the vehicle. HUNTER, the front seat passenger, had six loaded magazines for an AK-47 style assault rifle affixed to a tactical vest he was wearing. Officers found three semi-automatic rifles on the rear seat of the vehicle, one loaded pistol in plain view next to the driver’s seat, and another loaded pistol in the center console. Several days after the traffic stop, federal agents became aware of HUNTER’s online affiliation with Boogaloo Bois member Steven Carrillo, who has been charged in the Northern District of California with the May 29, 2020, murder of a Federal Protective Service Officer in Oakland, California.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 23, 2020

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrewMannix/status/1319683606634258432

I don't know how to read this any other way than Austin PD picked them up with a shitload of weed, guns, and ammo, and then gave them a pat on the head and sent them on their way once they cleared up which side they were on.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

skipdogg posted:

It's going to be very interesting to see how much Comal county has changed in the last 2 and 4 years as far as demographics go. I moved to the Bulverde area a couple years ago and I can tell you the growth around here is explosive. Within 5 miles of me there's over 5,000 new construction homes planned to be built, which is going to really change the demographics of this area. Comal has been one of the fastest growing counties in the country the last couple of years, and while I have no illusion the area is going to flip blue, I bet Comal won't be 73% Trump.

I can't find them, but is there any way to see how many registered voters are in Comal for this election? 2016 was 92K, March 2020 was 106.5K.

I wish Kosper was running for Congress this year. I think he could have beat Chip Roy this time around.

I really think y'all may be going more for Trump. So many people moved there from California thinking Texas is lovely GOP heaven. How many trump trains do y'all have going through New Braunfels currently? Like one a week at least? Canyon lake is pure Trump signs. I hear what I thought would be crunchy moms at the beautiful parks out there talking about a Plandemic. And stating how Democrats were going to force evil vaccines on everyone. It was true mind gently caress to hear that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewMannix/status/1319683606634258432

I don't know how to read this any other way than Austin PD picked them up with a shitload of weed, guns, and ammo, and then gave them a pat on the head and sent them on their way once they cleared up which side they were on.

None of those things will get you arrested in Austin :shrug:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I really think y'all may be going more for Trump. So many people moved there from California thinking Texas is lovely GOP heaven. How many trump trains do y'all have going through New Braunfels currently? Like one a week at least? Canyon lake is pure Trump signs. I hear what I thought would be crunchy moms at the beautiful parks out there talking about a Plandemic. And stating how Democrats were going to force evil vaccines on everyone. It was true mind gently caress to hear that.

Yeah. 3 of my direct neighbors are families that moved here from the west coast thinking Texas is some GOP Trump Mecca. There's an increase in Dem activity though, they just stay quiet about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every cycle we have to do the yard signs thing. Yard signs mean dick.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

None of those things will get you arrested in Austin :shrug:

So what's the rationale behind seizing everything but not detaining them? Serious question, perhaps I'm missing the legal subtleties here, but seizing a bunch of property implies something improper and I don't know how that's consistent with immediately cutting them loose right after they tell you "why yes officer I did just come from riots on the other side of the country"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was being somewhat glib but Austin isn't arresting non-felony weed offenders, but they still take your weed. I don't know about the guns and ammo stuff.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Houston drive through voters planning to go today, go tomorrow. My brother called they’re shutting down for the day because of the storm rolling in. Says his tent nearly got blown away despite being weighed down by water barrels.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have never been more ready for a cold front in my life

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

I have never been more ready for a cold front in my life

As opposed to the one that happened like a week and a half ago?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, DFW has been absolutely perfect* this week.

*Weather-wise, obviously

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

As opposed to the one that happened like a week and a half ago?

Its been goddamn 90 degrees for weeks

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ya until today it was like 88 degrees and humid as poo poo in DFW, my definition of perfect is ...not that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/_Luke/status/1319495442019848192

More from that “24% have no voting history” guy. He has data that shows who and where these voters are from, and that's why he thinks it's scary. Who the gently caress knows whats gonna happen, but this Republican strategist isn’t liking what he's seeing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks like the turnout surge doesn't extend to Latinos.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1319654267494539265

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Svanja posted:

My son is in high school. Our school just allowed a new wave of kids in who had been remote learning. In the last two weeks, I've received six emails for Covid case confirmations, which always read "one or more students and/or faculty have been confirmed positive." They are doing contact tracing a bit, it also lets us know that those exposed are quarantining for 14 days. Six notices in the last ten school days. I am growing increasingly nervous and worried for my son and the rest of our household. Its all very confusing. I am not sure if I made the right decision.

Don’t worry, zoux skimmed a few articles from newspapers owned by billionaires that said it was fine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dude gently caress off with this poo poo, there's plenty of other threads and indeed an entire forum to be a raging dickhead to people, stop trying to stir poo poo up

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I apologize for disagreeing with you and the guy who voted for the tea party judge openly in the Texas thread.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

My kid's school is very strict on masks and only aboout 50% of district opted in for face to face not many cases after 3 weeks or so. A neighboring district basically said gently caress it and no massive outbreaks. They been in person for almost two months and closer to 87% back in person

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

NPR posted:

Enric Álvarez at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya looked at different regions within Spain for his recent co-authored working paper. Spain's second wave of coronavirus cases started before the school year began in September. Still, cases in one region dropped three weeks after schools reopened, while others continued rising at the same rate as before, and one stayed flat.

Nowhere, the research found, was there a spike that coincided with reopening: "What we found is that the school [being opened] makes absolutely no difference," Álvarez told NPR.

People should definitely maintain some kind of caution, but for now it's looking like the data indicates that schools reopening and everybody wearing masks is safe. I know that there's a forest of conspiracy theorists and libertarians and trump worshippers trying to lie about everything to help spread the disease, but there's actual science saying that opening schools might be okay.

Although considering how thoroughly stupid people have been about the pandemic, if people refuse to wear masks, opening schools won't be okay, and it'll be another case of us not being able to have nice things because of the bad actors.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 22, 2024

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
So, uh, with the cold front, was there anything to to idea that cold weather will make covid worse?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There’s some evidence that it spreads more readily in cooler, drier air, but I think the main concern is that it sends people indoors.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Oil! posted:

It won't, the virus is hitting the chudlands of Texas and the rest of the country and those people will never lock down.

:stoked:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/tornadotrackers/status/1319685227879534595

And look they're all headed directly for my windshield

I haven't seen a monarch butterfly in person in a good 10 years.

RIP that species.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1319762000877178881

100% this guy is gonna try to primary Abbott in 22. Mortal loving lock.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm cold

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

did it get below 70 outside yet?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Its been goddamn 90 degrees for weeks

Only? Must be nice. :v:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

did it get below 70 outside yet?

yeah it was 70 at 2:30pm and now it's 54

we've passed the threshold, i can commence whining

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cassi_pollock/status/1319774327634579457

Yes....yessss

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1319773532671385603

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This would be so amazing. MQS would get so mad.

https://twitter.com/Senfronia4Texas/status/862328904945676288?s=20

this is her most recent tweet, yas queen

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 24, 2020