Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zoro is so cool fr, my fave for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I basically had to laugh out loud for a good irl minute when watching One Piece and Don Krieg called himself “by far, the strongest man in the world”. He really had no loving idea...

EmmyOk posted:

:hai:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

oddium posted:

i heard someone talk about luffy and then saw some 4kids episodes i think and then downloaded kaizoku fansub torrents at like 1 seed up until water 7

Yeah, I started checking out the anime as a curiosity through KF just to see why people were so excited about Gear Second during Enies Lobby, but didn't become a weekly manga reader until around Impel Down, then I was hooked. That was... A bit over a decade ago, drat. :stare:

E: if I remember right, I was really into the parts between Don Krieg/Baratie and Arlong, in particular I was in awe of the Zoro vs Mihawk fight and wanting to find out more about the power scale in the wider One Piece world and moved by Luffy's declaration to Nami. I have a lot of nostalgia/fondness for openings 2 and 3 (Believe and Hikari E) and the first ending (Memories) themes for this reason. And yeah, I too was a fan of the bombastic custom attack subtitles, especially with Jet Gatling Gun against Lucci at the end of Enies Lobby. That hyped it up so much more! :D

Also I was really fascinated by the random guy who managed to save Luffy from Smoker when the latter was supposed to be intangible. I loved the mystery in the world and commend Oda for having the discipline to not show all his cards at once for so long, that was a big part of feeling invested in One Piece as a whole.

Still, I skipped Skypeia entirely since at the time people were complaining about how slow and boring it was, so I don't have the same fondness for Norland/Calgara that others do here. I'm pretty sure Skypeia was the Dressrosa-equivalent back in the day lol

God, the early manga scans were so terrible. Real OGs remember "Tanjuhado Lolufamingo and Bisoromi Bear" and "does being black give you an afro or does the afro make you black?".

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 21, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I watched the 4Kids dub and read the handful of chapters in Shonen Jump at the same time and ho boy that was an odd experience.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

EmmyOk posted:

If zoro trying to cut his feet off to escape the wax only to stop and decide since he was going to die do it in a cool pose didn't make you love him there is something wrong with you imo

Him being thrilled to meet Luffy again on wano after so long was nice

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

The real issue with the crocodile fights is does Luffy sweat? If so then he should have always been able to punch crocodile but then he is made of rubber so maybe he doesn't?

The funny thing is, the 4kids dub actually changed the final crocodile fight so it was Luffy using his sweat instead of blood to fight Crocodile. 😅

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I first saw the 4Kids dub of Bon Clay pirouetting about and I thought it was the dumbest poo poo I had ever seen in my life.

Then a few years later I decided to read the then current chapter, which was Kuma destroying the entire crew, and I thought "holy poo poo, they just wiped out the main cast, that's so ballsy" and HAD to know how they got there, so I picked up a fan sub of the anime, switched to the manga around the end of Impel Down, and here we are.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I mostly ignored One Piece as a kid thanks to the 4Kids dub though I did read a few scattered chapters of the Arlong arc while carpooling to school. I didn't start seriously reading until I was in college and managed to catch up just as we hit the time skip. :suicide:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ive been a fan ever since the very start, had every issue of monthly shonen jump ever printed (even the first one that was given out only at a convention) and loved it. i take long breaks from it though these days because I like reading entire arcs, the week to week waiting gets brutal

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
i started reading one piece with american shounen jump but only started keeping up weekly around thriller bark. the paramount war -> timeskip was basically what cemented me from liking one piece a lot to it consuming my life

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

"zoro getting lost" is the only overdone running joke that still makes me chuckle every time

He's just so adorable with how he refuses to admit that he was wrong, it's like a cat that tries to play off a fall as on purpose

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Reading Arlong Park the first time I really thought Usopp was killed.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I love the "Zoro getting lost" joke but I was blindsided how it came out of nowhere. If I recall there were no hints to it until Alabasta, I think. A pretty long time for such a quirk to lay dormant.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
He gets lost on Usopps' island with Luffy

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He doesnt start getting lost until he gets the cursed sword IIRC?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Loguetown is after they meet Usopp, Zoro got hella lost on Usopp's island too, yeah.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Dragon is coming to Wano to let Luffy know about Sabo.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

ThingOne posted:

I mostly ignored One Piece as a kid thanks to the 4Kids dub though I did read a few scattered chapters of the Arlong arc while carpooling to school. I didn't start seriously reading until I was in college and managed to catch up just as we hit the time skip. :suicide:

Oh my god I thought I was the only one. The first Manga chapter I read was the chapter where Luffy went back to Marineford and the Straw Hats were reading about it.

Two chapters later it was off for a month.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

I love the "Zoro getting lost" joke but I was blindsided how it came out of nowhere. If I recall there were no hints to it until Alabasta, I think. A pretty long time for such a quirk to lay dormant.

He got lost out at sea before he met Luffy. He took up private hunting to sustain himself. iirc

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Julias posted:

The funny thing is, the 4kids dub actually changed the final crocodile fight so it was Luffy using his sweat instead of blood to fight Crocodile. 😅

Part of me wants to say the anime just did this in general and that the fansubs just deliberately mistranslated it back into blood, I feel like I remember that being the explanation waaay back in the day in the uncut dub but I could be wrong.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Part of me wants to say the anime just did this in general and that the fansubs just deliberately mistranslated it back into blood, I feel like I remember that being the explanation waaay back in the day in the uncut dub but I could be wrong.

Nah it was actually blood in the third round. The 4kids explanation is that he sweats more underground and that’s why he was able to hit him.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I picked up One Piece because of some gia secando AMVs, actually. I was vaguely aware of it before, but knew very little and reading some scattered chapters hadn't hooked me. Then I saw this cool AMV of Sabaody and the Kids/Law/Luffy fighting Marines stuff, and was convinced they were somehow part of the crew, and I wanted to know how that happened.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Philosopher King posted:

Dragon is coming to Wano to let Luffy know about Sabo.

This actually makes some sense since IIRC Chapter 100 is when Dragon saves Luffy so the Straw Hats can leave Loguetown for Reverse Mountain and the Grand Line, so... Maybe Chapter 1000 involves Dragon somehow? :iiam:

E: also lol I just remembered when KF did like a 5-minute intermission to talk about leaving friends untranslated as nakama due to the translation controversy

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 22, 2020

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Jose posted:

The real issue with the crocodile fights is does Luffy sweat? If so then he should have always been able to punch crocodile but then he is made of rubber so maybe he doesn't?

He's always panting with his tongue out when they're walking through the desert after all.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

He's always panting with his tongue out when they're walking through the desert after all.

oda does it again!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This actually makes some sense since IIRC Chapter 100 is when Dragon saves Luffy so the Straw Hats can leave Loguetown for Reverse Mountain and the Grand Line, so... Maybe Chapter 1000 involves Dragon somehow? :iiam:

E: also lol I just remembered when KF did like a 5-minute intermission to talk about leaving friends untranslated as nakama due to the translation controversy

lol, “controversy”. Even if I mostly peep poo poo on Hulu/Netflix two or three years behind everyone else these days I’m so glad that simulcast streaming mostly killed that lovely elitist mentality off. Not so glad that it screws over people outside of Crunchyroll regions though.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I started reading One Piece when the polish translation started coming out, way back in high school... I'm 26 now. We're now at volume 60 so the Sabo flashback. I wanted to catch up to the zeitgeist though

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I can't believe the third time we involve Dragon will be at chapter 10000

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mdct posted:

Loguetown is after they meet Usopp, Zoro got hella lost on Usopp's island too, yeah.

It’s actually luffy I ho gets lost nami uses Zoro to escape the goop trap they’d set up on the wrong side of the island

I stand by my theory that it’s the curse of Kitetsu

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

It’s actually luffy I ho gets lost nami uses Zoro to escape the goop trap they’d set up on the wrong side of the island

I stand by my theory that it’s the curse of Kitetsu

Nah he’s right, that goop trap stuff happens but then afterwards Zoro has to carry Usopp since he’s beat to poo poo and it’s there that Zoro nearly fucks up Usopp’s straightforward directions.

Although Kitetsu probably exacerbates things though, yeah. :v:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Un Piece 993

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-993/

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
KIKU 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

HOLY loving poo poo THIS IS ALL SO EXCITING

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
Kiku: gets announced as PW4 DLC.
Also Kiku: gets loving killed.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Oda pulled the No One Dies in One Piece thing for so long that even after Ace and Whitebeard and Monet and Pedro and etc, I'm genuinely in suspense over whether Kiku bought it, what a crazy place to be in One Piece.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Oda pulled the No One Dies in One Piece thing for so long that even after Ace and Whitebeard and Monet and Pedro and etc, I'm genuinely in suspense over whether Kiku bought it, what a crazy place to be in One Piece.

looks like it was just an arm so far, I doubt that's enough to kill someone in One Piece

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

OH MY GOD
Lola got hitched!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Hell yeah Sanji with his Kick Course! Haven't seen that in a while.

Also, Kiku uh oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

euphemism posted:

KIKU 😭😭😭😭😭😭