Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

If they're too mushy to eat normally, they'll make a drat smooth hummus

That's the plan :) thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Two part question, I guess.

I want to make a medium thick dark chocolate sauce for dipping that preferably won't harden or become lumpy/weird at room temperature for several hours. Does anyone have a preferred recipe or tips?

Next, does cocoa % in the chocolate matter? Somebody once told me you want to stay below 65% for ganaches, is that true? Does that also apply to a non-hardening dipping sauce? I like super dark chocolate and I'd rather the sauce were less sweet since it will be used with fairly sweet things.

Cook's Illustrated Baking:

Probably won't be as dark tasting as you like, but that's a price you pay for liquid at room temperature I think

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Kamikoto is a giant scam selling garbage pig steel knives on Facebook, saying they’re worth $1200 and that you’re getting a bargain at $300 when they’re actually worth negative dollars. It’s a Chinese company pretending to be Japanese with a misleading name and vague marketing. I wouldn’t even use them to cut off a toxic relationship

thanks for this — I had no idea. my dad loves his catalogs and splashing money around on "deals" in his retirement, so I guess I'm not surprised someone had his number. I will try playing around with them a bit more, but this makes me feel better about parting with them in the future if I can't get any use out of them.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

is there any reason to spring for a bowl-lift mixer over the tilt-head design, from the perspective of a home cook? idly browsing through the kitchenaid offerings, as one does on a saturday; i don't have space or cash to dump on it right now anyway

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone have a good goulash recipe, preferably too the simple side?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chard posted:

is there any reason to spring for a bowl-lift mixer over the tilt-head design, from the perspective of a home cook? idly browsing through the kitchenaid offerings, as one does on a saturday; i don't have space or cash to dump on it right now anyway

I'm 100% not an authority on kitchen aid and it could be the case that they updated the design but I remember as a kid we had to be careful when mounting the bowl in our tilt-head mixer because the threaded part on the base wasn't a solid piece of metal. it could bend or get misthreaded and then mom and dad get mad.

With the lifting version you just mount the bowl on the nubs and crank it up. It also has a nice handle on the bowl which I don't recall being a feature on the tilt-head bowl.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Chard posted:

I have zero first-hand knowledge, but my understanding is that the bowl-lift models are targeted at more serious use and therefore have better all-metal construction on the inner workings. The tilt-head ones aren't bad, but the bowl-lift ones are sturdier and will last better.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That said, they both have the plastic "worm gear" that is meant to break so it doesn't end up destroying your entire mixer if it fails.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm 100% not an authority on kitchen aid and it could be the case that they updated the design but I remember as a kid we had to be careful when mounting the bowl in our tilt-head mixer because the threaded part on the base wasn't a solid piece of metal. it could bend or get misthreaded and then mom and dad get mad.

With the lifting version you just mount the bowl on the nubs and crank it up. It also has a nice handle on the bowl which I don't recall being a feature on the tilt-head bowl.

My tilt head has a handle on the bowl, and it's just the standard one that came with it.

I have no complaints with the tilt head, the base seems sturdy enough and I've never been particularly gentle with it. I just took a look at mine and it would take some pretty extreme handling to mess with the locking mechanism, I think. It must have been updated, there's like zero chance a kid could have broken the one that I have. It's less of a thread and more of just 3 bits sticking out that lock with pressure from the bowl.

The one thing I've found is that if I run it at high speed for quite a while (like kneading bread or something), it can get a bit stuck and requires a whack on the handle to loosen. Not really a problem though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I can totally see there being an updated design since, uh, 1988.

If they added a handle to the bowl and updated the locking mechanism then it's just a matter of use. I wouldn't spend extra on the lifting model if I didn't plan to use it every couple days.

I imagine the high speed lockup issue is because the hinge gets wedged as it is forced back and forth.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I've got some frozen lamb trimmed off a leg from a while ago. I'd like to make a stew with it, for 8 adults, and probably eat it with soda bread.

Anyone know a good lamb stew recipe?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I think any old standard beef stew recipe would work out fine, but stew is something that is generally super flexible and can work with whatever you have on hand. I basically:

• Sear whatever meat you're stewing. You can dredge with flour before if you want, it will help thicken the broth but isn't strictly necessary.
  • Sweat a mirepoix (onions, celery, carrots) with some salt in oil until translucent (5-10 minutes). Add garlic near the end.
  • Add root vegetables and tomato paste if you have it, cook for a few minutes
  • Add chicken stock (if it's not homemade add a bunch of gelatin to it), whatever herbs that make sense that you have on hand, and your meat.
  • Add stuff that contains glutamates (soy sauce, fish sauce, worcestershire sauce, anchovies)
  • Simmer for a long-rear end time
  • if it's thin maybe add a buerre manie, season to taste
  • baby you got a stew going

Pretty much anything in this recipe minus the meat and some sort of liquid could be substituted.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

canyoneer posted:

I've got some frozen lamb trimmed off a leg from a while ago. I'd like to make a stew with it, for 8 adults, and probably eat it with soda bread.

Anyone know a good lamb stew recipe?

You have the right cut of lamb for a stew, it'll need a minimum of an hour to get tender, probably longer so a slow cooked stew is the right way to go. Lamb loves rosemary and garlic. Red wine to deglaze and in the sauce also works well.
Look for British, Irish, Aussie and NZ recipes.
What enki42 posted is also a good guide to stews and will steer you right.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

vuk83 posted:

Anyone have a good goulash recipe, preferably too the simple side?

How simple we talkin here, can you make beef stew without a recipe? Goulash is basically beef stew flavored with lots of paprika. Serious Eats has one that is pretty good and is easy enough unless you're a total beginner. America's Test Kitchen has a couple (including a slow-cooker one) that look pretty good that I could repost if it's not against the rules.

I like Transylvanian goulash that swaps in pork shoulder and adds sauerkraut and caraway seeds.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I usually fry with groundnut oil. But a chef friend just told me to try veg oil + beef dripping. I used an oleoclean fryer where it filters and stores the oil itself. Just want to check this will work okay still and i can just store as usual. It’s air tight and dark. Excited to make some fish and chips. Cheers.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Will apple pie filling turn to mush overnight in the fridge?

I want to bring an apple pie to work tomorrow, and I want it as fresh as possible. On the one hand, I don't want to cook it tonight. On the other hand, I won't have time to prepare everything in the morning.
I'm following this recipe from Serious Eats: Toss apples in sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch, and cook in a Dutch oven before placing in the pie crust and baking.

Can I cook the apples in the Dutch oven, then refrigerate overnight before baking in the morning?

Bear in mind, I like a more solid apple pie: chewy slices of apple with just a bit of syrup holding them together. That's as opposed to a mushy pie filled with thick applesauce.

Also I'm using mostly Granny Smith apples with a few Fujis.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

granny smith hold their shape really well, so it should be fine

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You'll be good. I used to make huge batches of pie filling at one job and bake them off as needed for orders.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friend is in Mexico visiting her boyfriend and I sam watching her dog. She asked if I wanted anything from Mexico. A trash bag full of squash blossoms probably isn’t going to last long so what else should I ask her to bring back?

Other than coronavirus

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bape Culture posted:

I usually fry with groundnut oil. But a chef friend just told me to try veg oil + beef dripping. I used an oleoclean fryer where it filters and stores the oil itself. Just want to check this will work okay still and i can just store as usual. It’s air tight and dark. Excited to make some fish and chips. Cheers.

Good news and bad: you absolutely need to use beef dripping if you’ve not tried it before, and a 50-50 mix with groundnut oil is my personal preference. Bad news, I’m not sure of the specifics of the piece of kit you mention, but beef dripping doesn’t keep at all well once it’s been used. It’ll go rancid at the drop of a hat, so caveat emptor.
I just use a wok, with the benefit that the 50-50 mix is almost solid at room temperature, so the fat mixture can just go in the waste bin the morning after.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

My friend is in Mexico visiting her boyfriend and I sam watching her dog. She asked if I wanted anything from Mexico. A trash bag full of squash blossoms probably isn’t going to last long so what else should I ask her to bring back?

Other than coronavirus

avocado leaves, maybe some other hard to find mexican herbs/sices?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Other than coronavirus

Vanilla

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Other than coronavirus
Mole powder

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Other than coronavirus

Mexico is actually considering closing its borders with us because our situation is so bad, so I would be more worried for you than her.

Def get some real avocado leaves, they're amazing for beans. Depending on how much space she's got, I would ask her to bring back an assortment of dried chilis that aren't the easy to find Guajillo, Arbol Ancho variety.

Bape Culture posted:

Torquemada posted:

Good news and bad: you absolutely need to use beef dripping if you’ve not tried it before, and a 50-50 mix with groundnut oil is my personal preference. Bad news, I’m not sure of the specifics of the piece of kit you mention, but beef dripping doesn’t keep at all well once it’s been used. It’ll go rancid at the drop of a hat, so caveat emptor.
I just use a wok, with the benefit that the 50-50 mix is almost solid at room temperature, so the fat mixture can just go in the waste bin the morning after.

As long as you don't take it above like 350, then filter it and store it in the fridge instead of at room temp, it will last a loooonnnnggg time.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah that’s what I was hoping. It filters itself into a sealed tray which I can then slide out and Chuck in the fridge. I guess it’s annoying I’ll have to do an intermediate step and warm it up to get it back liquid potentially but if the flavour is good I don’t care. It’s a once a week treat max. How solid would beef dripping go with veg oil if I went say 60% veg? Would be ideal if there’s a way to keep it relatively liquid so I don’t have to melt it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Have her bring back a nixtamatic.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah that’s what I was hoping. It filters itself into a sealed tray which I can then slide out and Chuck in the fridge. I guess it’s annoying I’ll have to do an intermediate step and warm it up to get it back liquid potentially but if the flavour is good I don’t care. It’s a once a week treat max. How solid would beef dripping go with veg oil if I went say 60% veg? Would be ideal if there’s a way to keep it relatively liquid so I don’t have to melt it.

100% tallow is frustratingly solid at fridge temp. I'd bet that 60/40 veg/tallow would be solid, but easily scoopable straight out of the fridge. It might even end up as microscopic tallow droplets suspended in liquid veg oil, and be a polenta kind of texture/viscosity. Give it a shot! It will be delicious.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Have her bring back a nixtamatic.

had to look this up and found this video on their website, its good, music incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCrImXayFWs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is there a good write up or article on the overall dos and donts regarding fat drippings?

I'm looking for info regarding storage specifically (temp, duration) so i don't poison my family.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

A ten dollar bag of Candy otherwise those 3 gallon jugs of Mystery alcohol. I miss the border towns of Mexico. Nothing like getting chased down the street with a Lady of the night hanging out the window of her pimps Bronco yelling at you to get the Fff out of the way.
I would get some semi hard cheese. Rot gut Mezcal is actually good in my opinion. I do miss the border.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

prompted by our recent discussion on where we'd rate our cooking skills I have put a simple chicken in the oven and it was easy, low effort and delicious, I no longer know why I was so apprehensive. I now rate my cooking skills slighty higher, though not necessarily my carving skills.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

My Lovely Horse posted:

prompted by our recent discussion on where we'd rate our cooking skills I have put a simple chicken in the oven and it was easy, low effort and delicious, I no longer know why I was so apprehensive. I now rate my cooking skills slighty higher, though not necessarily my carving skills.

I just got a carving knife and the first time I carved a chicken with it was a revelation. Cutting perfect breast slices without the skin moving around at all was effortless.

One like this: https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Cutlery/Chef%27s-Knives/Fibrox-Slicing-Knife/p/5.4723.30 (I have a 10 inch that I can't find on their site, but same idea)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

One of the biggest assists in carving a bird is to take the wishbone out prior to cooking.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I just heard of something called a "pie stone", to avoid soggy bottoms (when blind baking isn't used). Is this the same thing as a pizza stone? It sounds like the same idea.

Also, do you prefer glass or metal pans for baking pies?

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 26, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

No pie weights go inside the pie shell if you're making something like a banana cream pie or some other kind of filling where the shell is baked first and then filled afterwards.

You can use anything that won't burst into flames as a weight put a piece of parchment paper that you've crumpled up a bit to make it more flexible in against your raw dough. Add pie weights of choice any place I've worked on the past where we made those types of pies there was always a bucket of burnt up beans that get used over and over again as weights.

There's companies that make little ceramic balls, larger diameter ball chain, ball bearings, marbles, etc... some people use coins.

The whole idea of the thing is just to prevent your dough from slumping in the pie pan before it sets up enough to hold it's own shape.

A lot of times you will have to bake out for a period of time with the weights and then remove them to allow the pie shell to brown and crisp up.

Pie plate construction is a whole other :can:
They all have advantages and disadvantages I personally like thin metal ones because they are cheap and you don't have to worry about breaking them like with ceramic or Pyrex.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I like glass for things more like cobblers or really juicy pies and metal (although heavier, not the little marie calendars flexi ones) but now that I am trying to think of *why* that is, I am not really sure... might just be nostalgia because that's how my mom tended to do it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

No pie weights go inside the pie shell if you're making something like a banana cream pie or some other kind of filling where the shell is baked first and then filled afterwards.

They mentioned not blind baking, so I'm guessing it's a baking stone.

Baking stones can help. If I'm doing like a super thick apple pie where I def want a crisp bottom, I'll use the stone.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Soggy bottoms are a combination of recipe and equipment. Use a trusted source who knows how to minimize free liquid in the filling, and then find out what kind of pie pan that person used. If the recipe is meant for metal, but you use glass, you'll get lots of sog. If it's meant for glass and you use metal, you'll get burnt.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

enki42 posted:

I think any old standard beef stew recipe would work out fine, but stew is something that is generally super flexible and can work with whatever you have on hand. I basically:

• Sear whatever meat you're stewing. You can dredge with flour before if you want, it will help thicken the broth but isn't strictly necessary.
  • Sweat a mirepoix (onions, celery, carrots) with some salt in oil until translucent (5-10 minutes). Add garlic near the end.
  • Add root vegetables and tomato paste if you have it, cook for a few minutes
  • Add chicken stock (if it's not homemade add a bunch of gelatin to it), whatever herbs that make sense that you have on hand, and your meat.
  • Add stuff that contains glutamates (soy sauce, fish sauce, worcestershire sauce, anchovies)
  • Simmer for a long-rear end time
  • if it's thin maybe add a buerre manie, season to taste
  • baby you got a stew going

Pretty much anything in this recipe minus the meat and some sort of liquid could be substituted.

Helith posted:

You have the right cut of lamb for a stew, it'll need a minimum of an hour to get tender, probably longer so a slow cooked stew is the right way to go. Lamb loves rosemary and garlic. Red wine to deglaze and in the sauce also works well.
Look for British, Irish, Aussie and NZ recipes.
What enki42 posted is also a good guide to stews and will steer you right.

This turned out great. Ate it with fresh dark rye and it was a big hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

:words: about pie weights.

When I was 14 I was at a housewares store with my mom and brother and I came across some pie beads but I had absolutely no idea what they were.

So I asked the old lady at the shoppe what they were and she said "oh those are pie beads" and my immediate response (probably to make my older brother laugh) was to say "oooh kinky" to which this lady responded "oh yes I suppose so!"

Mom made us wait outside.