Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Penguin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dJNGh_sBPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2PDPI1FUYA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Other than the rings themselves is there a weapon that spans the DC universe? Like Thanagarian tech or something.

Do you mean a weapon that's common tech all over the universe or a weapon that just works on all enemies (the way maybe an Earth gun wouldn't)?

Because if it's the latter I'd honestly say Batarangs. I suppose Batman has earned the right to talk poo poo about guns when he's got a weapon that always seems to work at least a little bit whenever the Justice League is fighting alien threats.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Do you mean a weapon that's common tech all over the universe or a weapon that just works on all enemies (the way maybe an Earth gun wouldn't)?

Common tech all over the universe. Like the AK47 of the DC universe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Don't forget.
This wasn't any old gun.
It was the gun of a FBI/DHS agent chasing Simon Bez who also sort of thought he was innocent of terrorism.
So the gun also worked as kind of blackmail material.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Common tech all over the universe. Like the AK47 of the DC universe.

From the Green Lantern comics I've read it seems like every planet but Earth has generic laser gun technology so probably that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

Don't forget.
This wasn't any old gun.
It was the gun of a FBI/DHS agent chasing Simon Bez who also sort of thought he was innocent of terrorism.
So the gun also worked as kind of blackmail material.

And God knows it would have been impossible for him to somehow get a different gun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

From the Green Lantern comics I've read it seems like every planet but Earth has generic laser gun technology so probably that

Which reminds me of some of the loonier examples of super tech that could be widespread on Earth but aren't because reasons. Once in Judd Winick's Outsiders Nightwing says they have technology that can pull a specific set of fingerprints off of a glass counter in a mall several days after they were left there. This was while they were teaming with John Walsh who is impressed but does not immediately ask why every law enforcement agency on the planet doesn't have this. It's also never mentioned again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Which reminds me of some of the loonier examples of super tech that could be widespread on Earth but aren't because reasons. Once in Judd Winick's Outsiders Nightwing says they have technology that can pull a specific set of fingerprints off of a glass counter in a mall several days after they were left there. This was while they were teaming with John Walsh who is impressed but does not immediately ask why every law enforcement agency on the planet doesn't have this. It's also never mentioned again.

Kind of like in the post Annihilation Guardians series they recruit an Earth hero who was paralyzed and fix his spine and nobody says "Hey, maybe we should bring this stuff back to Earth?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of like in the post Annihilation Guardians series they recruit an Earth hero who was paralyzed and fix his spine and nobody says "Hey, maybe we should bring this stuff back to Earth?"

Jack Flagg. Who I didn't know existed until he was crippled by Tony Stark's goons during Civil War then thrown in the Negative Zone prison.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

And God knows it would have been impossible for him to somehow get a different gun.

From my understanding if a lw enforcement person loses their gun it's meant to be a big black mark against them.

Like if they report it lost they have to answer lots of questions about why it was lost.

And if they don't and it's used in a crime, it's registered to this federal agent and he's now got to explain why it's gone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

From my understanding if a lw enforcement person loses their gun it's meant to be a big black mark against them.

Like if they report it lost they have to answer lots of questions about why it was lost.

And if they don't and it's used in a crime, it's registered to this federal agent and he's now got to explain why it's gone.

A cop, having to face consequences for their own ineptitude? I know comic books are largely the realm of fantasy but that's a bridge too far.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read The Boys, but from what I've heard, despite the show being pretty tasteless itself, it's way more tasteful than the comic.

Absolute best bit of The Boys comic is how the big bad dies at the end.

A superpowered fight with those kind of powers literally lasts like 3 panels and a splash-page.

And the victor is literally a gorey corpse that lasts about 3 nanoseconds after that,which was probably the most well thought out and written bit of the entire comic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Man, Spider-man's current cartoon is still on going. Currently halfwayish maybe through season 3. I wasn't fully feeling this season, but a lot of things just came to a close and it was super nice.

...but the nicest thing is this episode had a gorgeous sequence of all the main heroes working together to take down the giant venom-goblin, climaxing with Harry stabbing the gently caress outta his dad to get him in the big science thing

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

MorningMoon posted:

Man, Spider-man's current cartoon is still on going. Currently halfwayish maybe through season 3. I wasn't fully feeling this season, but a lot of things just came to a close and it was super nice.

...but the nicest thing is this episode had a gorgeous sequence of all the main heroes working together to take down the giant venom-goblin, climaxing with Harry stabbing the gently caress outta his dad to get him in the big science thing

It was surprisingly good! I was dreading this season as I thought that they'd surely over use Venom, but they have done a good job incorporating Symbiote nonsense with the show's storyline, and some action sequences have been solid, possibly benefiting from less episodes?

Mostly, it's just better having them be a proper, equal team now (and no more Harry / Peter drama), but also "My dad is bees."

Yet to see the point of MJ showing up for 2 mins across this season though, which is a shame.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Metalshark posted:

It was surprisingly good! I was dreading this season as I thought that they'd surely over use Venom, but they have done a good job incorporating Symbiote nonsense with the show's storyline, and some action sequences have been solid, possibly benefiting from less episodes?

Mostly, it's just better having them be a proper, equal team now (and no more Harry / Peter drama), but also "My dad is bees."

Yet to see the point of MJ showing up for 2 mins across this season though, which is a shame.

Oh yeah forgot thsi was supposed to be a shorter season. ..ohfuck it's ending next episode. Guess we got a two-parter left to resolve Bees, Lizard, and MJ

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I guess the minimal MJ scenes were just there to establish that she exists and that Peter knows and kinda likes her. She was not important whatsoever, but I guess this helps set the scene if that were to change.
For example, if a bad guy takes a room full of people hostage, it would be really awkward if Peter would need to mentally exposition how he knows the red headed girl who's trying to sneak away.

If MJ doesn't show up at all anymore, it would be really pointless.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I didn't see this posted. I haven't really watched She Ra, but understand that it's pretty good, and I haven't read Lumberjanes. However i did really like Nimona, so I'm interested how it turns out. Is Lumberjanes good?

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1313631720281985025

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lumberjanes is good, OP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Next season of Young Justice is coming Nov 1st.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's gonna be on HBOmax, right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Skwirl posted:

It's gonna be on HBOmax, right?

Yeah I am pretty sure.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Looks like it's just Outsiders. Season 4 is still scheduled for next year.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/MrTonyNacho/status/1319087297917259776

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just below that one is another great one.

https://twitter.com/Octopimp/status/1319394893215666178?s=20

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This rules but also can Garfield & Friends talk go here?

It's Halloween, it's time to revisit a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3FJePrGZb8

I watched a lot of things growing up but far and away the most important cartoons for little me were Pinky & the Brain and Garfield & Friends. I find they both hold up and I'm glad somebody uploaded this to YT to future generations can enjoy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

This rules but also can Garfield & Friends talk go here?

It's Halloween, it's time torevisit a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3FJePrGZb8

I watched a lot of things growing up but far and away the most important cartoons for little me were Pinky & the Brain and Garfield & Friends. I find they both hold up and I'm glad somebody uploaded this to YT to future generations can enjoy.

This was a classic I was always sad that it dropped away from its longtime companion, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and disappeared from tv, even though it’s obviously younger by a decade or more.

Lorenzo Music is probably the greatest cartoon voice to me. He’s at least in the top three.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I was always a huge fan of the christmas special, just like Grandma and Garfields little heart to heart at the end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I'm No Scaredy Cat" lived rent free in my head for ages. Lou Rawls may have been a Scientologist but what a voice.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This was a classic I was always sad that it dropped away from its longtime companion, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and disappeared from tv, even though it’s obviously younger by a decade or more.

Lorenzo Music is probably the greatest cartoon voice to me. He’s at least in the top three.

Don't worry. The Peanuts specials are disappearing from TV too! :sigh:

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/peanuts-specials-apple-tv-plus-1.50044452

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just learned that Kipo & The Age of Wonderbeasts had the same music supervisor as Into The Spider-Verse, which explains a lot.

It was a webcomic first, it still counts. Also it owns bones, go watch it!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I watched Batman Ninja tonight and man, that movie was just nonsense. Like, okay, they have an explanation as to why a bunch of random villains all of a sudden built robot castles but the stuff with the monkeys and bats turning into a giant Batman was a whole nother level of stupid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So I watched Batman Ninja tonight and man, that movie was just nonsense. Like, okay, they have an explanation as to why a bunch of random villains all of a sudden built robot castles but the stuff with the monkeys and bats turning into a giant Batman was a whole nother level of stupid.

I don't remember who said it, but somewhere said it was like a whole movie of video game cut scenes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It wouldn't change the monkey and bats stuff, but the translators basically didn't receive a script for the movie, so basically all of the dialogue was completely rewritten for the dub and they are two different movies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The weirdest thing about that movie is the dub and sub have wildly different scripts. On some digital services they don't have the dub subtitles when you watch in Japanese, they have the American captions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So is there a breakdown of how the stories were different?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So is there a breakdown of how the stories were different?

No comparisions, but here is the article that explains the situation https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-batman-ninja-in-english-is-so-different-from-t/1100-6458513/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've only seen the American dub, but from what I remember of Batman Ninja I'm not sure how necessary the dialog is at all.

The Red Hood side story seemed like it lost a lot in translation (or lack of translation I guess), but everything else, eh.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
lol Just imagine watching Batman Ninja for the story

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The animation looked like garbage, the story was the best hope for the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Kamikaze Douga, known terrible animators