Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
He really had me there for a sec and then Araki had to put Yasuho in more sex danger :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope equivalent exchange also affects stands and Nut King Cole gets a better user.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

God, just kill this 89 year old man already. They have been uselessly flailing at this dude for way too long.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FirstAidKite posted:

He really had me there for a sec and then Araki had to put Yasuho in more sex danger :\

Yeah he was actually kinda cool until he got all rapey.

I'm guessing there's definitely a hidden secondary effect, this seems too simple for something they've been searching for for like half of Part 8.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

RatHat posted:

I'm guessing there's definitely a hidden secondary effect, this seems too simple for something they've been searching for for like half of Part 8.

That’s possible, but it’s important to remember that Josuke only happened because Josefumi took Kira to the Wall Eyes and ate the New(ish?) Rokakaka at the same time. So even if there’s something weird going on with this plant, there’s something weirder that will go down in the future, presuming that Araki plans on bookending the part with someone else doing the Wall Eye Underground Fruit Fusion Dance.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
joshuu, you loving moron

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*earrape version of Orange Colored Sky plays in the background*

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

My little strawberry...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

drat you kinda got to admire araki writing joushuu as a total shithead to the end

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Araki doesn’t really do a lot of redemption arcs beyond the usual “an enemy stand user becomes an ally of the protagonist” heel-face turn, I think. I’m sure somebody’ll correct me if I’m wrong, but when Araki does part-long character arcs, they’re more about self-discovery and determination; I can’t remember a lengthy arc where a terrible person became a good one, though there are a few examples of the opposite.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Johnny more or less gets a redemption arc. His arc isn't entirely about learning not to be a spoiled brat, but it's partially there.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Johnny more or less gets a redemption arc. His arc isn't entirely about learning not to be a spoiled brat, but it's partially there.

well ya but right at the start he says "this is the story of how i learned to walk." at the start of jojolion, joshuu said "u-uaaaa! s-stay away from my yasuhoooooo!!"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rohan is as close to that as you can get, and only because he's the star of spinoff stuff and gets more altruistic in them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hes also Araki's sorta self insert.
So I dont think the intention for him was to stay a piece of poo poo for too long.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I hope equivalent exchange also affects stands and Nut King Cole gets a better user.

From now on Paisley Park can not only infiltrate electronics, but also undo the screws in them.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I appreciate Tooru taking the initiative to interrupt that, uh, moment. He's been around awhile and I've been totally whatever on him, but his deadpan reactions while observing these goobers is endearing him to me.

Very cool that now Yasuho is the X factor that could change everything, the outsider saves the family, or helps shift their fortunes at least. Very JoJo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the reaction of Tooru realizing that he was getting stung and how he just had this face of "wait I'm being hurt by something? wtf?"

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Ethiser posted:

God, just kill this 89 year old man already. They have been uselessly flailing at this dude for way too long.
After a year and a half of this, I can't help but agree. These monthly, sometimes bi-monthly, updates are killing me. Doesn't help every other manga I'm really into is weekly. Makes it seem that much longer.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
There are a lot of well paced monthly manga, like Dungeon Meshi, but this is not one of them

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Couldn't you have said the same about the year+ D4C/Love Train sequence, which is now widely agreed to be one of the best parts of the series?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 17, 2020

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Reading it monthly and reading it all in one go are very different experiences, I’ve found.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

multijoe posted:

Couldn't you have said the same about the year+ D4C/Love Train sequence, which is now widely agreed to be one of the best parts of the series?
By the time I started getting into JoJo, JoJolion had started already. I'm so used to getting new chapters each week in series I follow so the monthly thing is especially jarring. Not used to fights lasting over a year.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I've got a feeling JoJolion will be rated much more highly once people get a chance to binge the whole thing at their own pace rather than waiting month on month for it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I'm really curious how D4C/Love Train was received at the time. I have to believe it was more well liked than this because... it seems like it was a lot more interesting and well written.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Reading it monthly and reading it all in one go are very different experiences, I’ve found.

I can't wait to read the finished part 8 in 2024

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It really doesn't help that it seemed we were just about to get into how Josuke's bubbles are actually an implementation of the Spin, but then we cut away to Joshu being even grosser than usual.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I want to find out about how Josuke gets inherent Spin talent the way Joseph got inherent talent

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Can't believe they Joshuu let me down after starring in the best arc of this series.

Duck Stab!
Oct 21, 2020

HERE I COME, CONSTANTINOPLE!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Does anybody ITT have any fun JJBA merch?

I would like to accumulate some good stuff because it’s so stylish, but I haven’t really seen much out there in the wild.

I used to buy a buttload of weird cheap stuff from Mandarake several years ago before Jojo got really popular in the west. The weirdest stuff I own or did own are probably the Bruno magnet set (from the train fight, where he unzips himself into pieces), a Moody Blues alarm clock, some drinking glasses with Araki's sketches on them, an Iggy gum holder, and Abbacchio makeup and chopsticks.

Being a Vento Aureo fan in the west outside of Italy before the anime was funny because most people hated it. :v:

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Hahahaha I love that even Tooru, who is planning to kill them, was grossed out by Joshuu taking an act of selflessness and making it creepy

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joshu has always sucked and his skeeviness has always been surplus to requirements.

This new chapter takes that and takes it from un-necessary and poo poo to 10 steps too far.
This ain't it Araki, even if Joshu gets fuckin' owned at the end once again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1320911295399424002

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

:woop:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hell yeh

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've been told by notable fans like Woolie and Plague that Funny Valentine would philosophically wipe the floor with Naruto. Having not yet read part 7 I wonder why.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Physically maybe, Valentine has a particular ability that makes him extremely hard to kill. Naruto being a non-stand user wouldn't be able to see Valentine's stand, which puts him at a big disadvantage. On the other hand Naruto has a ton of tricks up his sleeve and is pretty clever, and can summon a giant frog, so I actually don't know how easily Valentine could win, if at all. Plus I've never watched/read Shippuden and onward so I'm basing this on what I remember of the first half, and I can only assume Naruto gets even stronger by the end.

Philosophically, yeah I could see Valentine whooping Naruto. What's Naruto's opinions on napkins?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I have never read Naruto, but yes

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have regrettably read Naruto, and yes

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Physically maybe, Valentine has a particular ability that makes him extremely hard to kill. Naruto being a non-stand user wouldn't be able to see Valentine's stand, which puts him at a big disadvantage. On the other hand Naruto has a ton of tricks up his sleeve and is pretty clever, and can summon a giant frog, so I actually don't know how easily Valentine could win, if at all. Plus I've never watched/read Shippuden and onward so I'm basing this on what I remember of the first half, and I can only assume Naruto gets even stronger by the end.

Philosophically, yeah I could see Valentine whooping Naruto. What's Naruto's opinions on napkins?
You didn't take note of his superhuman speed, one that would far outclass any character in JoJo. Valentine would have a Rasengan in the gut before he could even formulate a plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Naruto would've believed Valentine 100% and not go for the extra 1%.