Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

• I am suspicious that Zou's crime or whatever dates back to the Void Century
  • The above sort of implies that Raftel existed in the Void Century, since that's when the Ponegliffs were made. Or am I wrong about that?

no you're right about this, and the zou thing is neat to me too

i think we can pretty safely guess there was some sort of "giant" or "big" race or something back during the void century. there's a lot of just.... oversized stuff in OP that dates back to then, with oars, zou, the big rear end hat, etc. its also probable that the kozukis, who made the ponegliffs and then shut themselves inside of wano for hundreds of years are remnants of the ancient kingdom or something along those lines, but the details are a bit hard to fill in given what we know right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think also the four boys were modified in the womb, though it didn't take with Sanji because of his mother, but I.. think Reiju was modified after she was already born? She still has all her emotions I think, though she also can't disobey her father? It's a little unclear.

I believe this is correct, and in addition she still retains her morality as a result as well.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I wonder if it will somehow explain how some "regular" people are still ginormously tall; maybe we've just been taking for granted that it's just a normal thing?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

it's a power level thing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

KittenofDoom posted:

I wonder if it will somehow explain how some "regular" people are still ginormously tall; maybe we've just been taking for granted that it's just a normal thing?

I know the actual answer is “it looks cool, especially when Luffy/Zoro beat the poo poo out of guys that are super big” but I kinda just assume the actual answer is that they’re like 1/32 giant. Or fishman/merpeople, a lot of them are really big too but it makes more sense for a giant goldfish merlady to be huge. Heck, some people could have trace elephant mink blood or whatever.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Everyone knows that humans are just hairless ape minks anyway.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nah people just randomly big in one piece.
See just big Mom and her kids being all kinds of sizes.
Lola and Chiffon are 'regular' sized despite their parents.

And a reminder that giants are huge and have just as much variance.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 26, 2020

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I genuinely think Oda just wanted to create a wacky fun world where just about any kind of character you can imagine might exist, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an actual well-thought-out explanation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Libra posted:

I genuinely think Oda just wanted to create a wacky fun world where just about any kind of character you can imagine might exist, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an actual well-thought-out explanation.

Tbh the actual answer to any weird thing* in One Piece is pretty much just that but for all the “ODA...DOES IT AGAIN!!??” memes at this point it really wouldn’t surprise me if he either actually had an explanation for it or decided it would be cool to explore, since gently caress, One Piece is the man’s magnum opus.

*Santoryu aside, I think he’s outright admitted that he couldn’t think of anything to make a sword guy stand out besides three swords before realizing that “guy with swords that can bench press a small mountain” counts as one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I mean, Kiku is tall looking so to speak then you look it up and she's 9.5' so it's all relative I guess.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

KittenofDoom posted:

We'll get a game several years after the series ends that explains that they're taking drugs to make them tall and it's a fad thing.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
All the weird species are because the entire world is a genetic experiment; D stands for DNA.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

KittenofDoom posted:

Like others said, I doubt a real explanation will ever be made...but I like to imagine it means that somewhere, maybe centuries ago, those people have Giant ancestry. Even just a drop or two of Giant blood can make people ten feet tall.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

LostRook posted:

All the weird species are because the entire world is a genetic experiment; D stands for DNA.

I halfway entertained this idea once, and that the Devil Fruits are some sort of lingering part of some plot during the void century to make a world-conquering army, but that whatever happened back then also changed Humanity from a five-to-six foot average to being all the various humans, giants, and minks we see.

Then I thought "Man that's uncomfortably close to eugenics!" and I kinda hope that's not the case. I love Oda and how he can handle a lot of difficult subjects, but eugenics would be a topic I'd worry about.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 26, 2020

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think if oda can make people like caesar clown, a man who literally abducted children to perform mengele experiments on them for big cash money and a sick sense of fun, into a character people like to see and were glad to have around the straw hats for such an extended period of time, then he can thread the "800 years ago the government did a mass experiment but kinda screwed it up" needle.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Super tall people in One Piece are like that because they train their Tall Muscles.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The secret is people never stop growing. Its why Luffy is 5'8, his Dad's 9'5 and his Grandpa's 10'5

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kild posted:

The secret is people never stop growing. Its why Luffy is 5'8, his Dad's 9'5 and his Grandpa's 10'5

By that logic Dr. Kureha should be three times taller than she is

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Or maybe she is a Tontatta

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Kureha's just so youthful for her age.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Giant genes are reccessive. I feel like that would explain most of it. You're not going to be big just because your parents were big, and smaller parents can have big kids, like Big Mom.

I feel like big people and giant genetics are actually kind of relevant to Big Mom's motivations in general. It can be assumed that Pound was Big Mom's husband in an attempt to make giant babies. Because the genetics are actually much more complicated, it didn't work and Pound was thrown aside.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

i am tim! posted:

I halfway entertained this idea once, and that the Devil Fruits are some sort of lingering part of some plot during the void century to make a world-conquering army, but that whatever happened back then also changed Humanity from a five-to-six foot average to being all the various humans, giants, and minks we see.

Then I thought "Man that's uncomfortably close to eugenics!" and I kinda hope that's not the case. I love Oda and how he can handle a lot of difficult subjects, but eugenics would be a topic I'd worry about.

Eugenics, genetics and adjacent topics have popped up frequently since the second half started. There was the whole spiel about fishmen/mermaid genetics and blood transfusion in Fishman Island, everything on Punk Hazard, Whole Cake introduced Judge and more Lineage factor stuff.

There's also more indirect stuff, like how the existence of Zou and the minks resemblance to half-transformed Zoans.

The design of the One Piece world brings to my mind Darwin traveling through the Galapagos with the Grand Line itself resembling the traditional Gu that frequents Japanese media on occasion.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Also the amount at which the World Government wants whatever happened in the Void Century to stay hidden is so huge that it must have been something quite bad with implications to the present day, you'd assume. It's something way more than just the ancient weapons

Strelok604 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 26, 2020

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I really like that in Whole Cake Island, Big Mom has this personal connection and enmity with, I think, every single member of the Strawhats. A lot of the time, the villain only ever really talks to or even knows one or two of the crew.

I also just made the connection that maybe the reason Zeus is such a slave to his appetite has something to do with literally being made of Big Mom's soul.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I really like that in Whole Cake Island, Big Mom has this personal connection and enmity with, I think, every single member of the Strawhats. A lot of the time, the villain only ever really talks to or even knows one or two of the crew.

I also just made the connection that maybe the reason Zeus is such a slave to his appetite has something to do with literally being made of Big Mom's soul.

If oda put that much thought into her character design (and I'm not saying he didn't) , what does that say about Prometheus?

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
The people in one piece are tall because it looks cool when luffy punches somebody bigger than him

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

What is her connection with Robin or Zoro?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Rohan means every member of the Straw Hats in Whole Cake Island at the time (Luffy, Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Brooke, Jinbe).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TheLoneStar posted:

Like others said, I doubt a real explanation will ever be made...but I like to imagine it means that somewhere, maybe centuries ago, those people have Giant ancestry. Even just a drop or two of Giant blood can make people ten feet tall.
Consider.... the physics of this.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Big Mom has a tontatta daughter.
Try not to think too hard about this.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Libra posted:

Big Mom has a tontatta daughter.
Try not to think too hard about this.

Baby Shirahoshi was already far bigger than her brothers. Consider that with Otohime being regular sized.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Wild speculation time:

The secret history of the world is everyone used to be massive, but the world was getting overcrowded so the WG genetically engineered people to be smaller, and rearranged the landmasses to better control the population or something. As this was forced on most people, there was a lot of conflict.

The different races of folks are the results of dozens of simultaneous attempts at creating the smaller species, but only a few worked or survived to the current day. Devil fruits are an offshoot of these experiments.

The big hat belongs to Joyboy or someone of similar status, who helped make peace between the commoners and the World Government in exchange for certain promises (which they broke).

Alternate theory: Something similar to the above, but the Celestial Dragons were from another planet which is the real reason they wear space helmets (despite not needing them any more).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can see Celestial Dragons being space people that subjected the earth to a hundred year war in a hostile takeover. Assuming the proto-Celestials were stupid loving strong on top of their advanced weaponry and their descendants just grew fat and weak from opulence.

Presumably the Navy who have some understanding of the truth probably just go along with it because it had such a staggering impact on the world that they don’t think it’s worth the collateral damage to everyone, including every currently enslaved race. That’s assuming the celestials have some of their busted hypothetical space tech around.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Maybe that's why the ancient weapons are so strong, they're like spaceship technology

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i was pretty sure the secret history of the world is how it went from 1 king to a confederacy of world nobles

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
wild speculation: the throwaway line about the myth of why you can't have two devil fruits ("because the devils inside them fight in your body and you die"), the fact that they're called devil fruits, the existence of the davy back fight and that it's called that (davy jones is the devil of the sea), the fact that the davy back fight tradition is attributed to the place that Blackbeard currently uses as his base of operations, and the fact that Blackbeard is apparently the only person who knows the secret to manipulating devil fruit powers

are all connected, somehow

Plutonis posted:

Baby Shirahoshi was already far bigger than her brothers. Consider that with Otohime being regular sized.

to be fair merfolk/fish-men probably lay eggs

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

No Wave posted:

In anime? No way.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

What if the reason vegapunk is able to make such advanced stuff is because he got clued in to some of their secret space tech and that's also why nobody knows anything about him

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If they are spacemen that's going to be the perfect reason for Enel to storm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nessus posted:

If they are spacemen that's going to be the perfect reason for Enel to storm in.

God if it isn't Gin with you people it's Eneru.