Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Coaaab posted:

Has there ever been an angle where an underdog wins the title but is struggling to lug it around because of its heft?

It's possible that ECW did this with Mikey Whipwreck but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Price Check posted:

It's possible that ECW did this with Mikey Whipwreck but I'm not sure.

I think Mikey wore it, but his whole thing was justifiably looking terrified

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This post

Dacap posted:

Yeah, I wouldn’t hate the idea of Jake/Archer expanding to a stable with Itoh in their women’s slot.

Who would be good as their tag team and midcard single guy?

made me wonder:

Are there/have there been notable mixed-gender factions that have featured a women’s tag team alongside whatever men the faction has? I mean recently there was Retribution (lmao) that had two women for about five seconds but I mean actual women’s tag teams in actually notable/successful etc. factions. Feels like it’s very commonly a bunch of men and one woman (could just be a manager too).

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

a cyborg mug posted:

This post

made me wonder:

Are there/have there been notable mixed-gender factions that have featured a women’s tag team alongside whatever men the faction has? I mean recently there was Retribution (lmao) that had two women for about five seconds but I mean actual women’s tag teams in actually notable/successful etc. factions. Feels like it’s very commonly a bunch of men and one woman (could just be a manager too).

The one that comes to mind for me is BDK in Chikara that had Ares/Cesaro for the men and Daizee Haze/Sara Del Rey for the women, though not sure if that counts for what you're asking because there were no dedicated women's division in Chikara

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is there anywhere I can find out reliable information on WWE contracts? Like dates wrestlers signed them and for how long etc?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Is there anywhere I can find out reliable information on WWE contracts? Like dates wrestlers signed them and for how long etc?

rajah

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

a cyborg mug posted:

This post

made me wonder:

for a bit in tna the beautiful people were angelina love, madison rayne, and cute kip (billy of the gunn clubb)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Pretty Mean Sisters had Meat.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Coaaab posted:

Has there ever been an angle where an underdog wins the title but is struggling to lug it around because of its heft?

https://twitter.com/inspiredTheFire/status/1269150794860781570 - The audio alone is one of the greatest deliveries WWE's had in years

bonus: https://twitter.com/ConnectionBoss/status/1269104016233021440

Hirez fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 28, 2020

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I was looking at WWE wrestler wiki entries and it’s concerning how old their roster is getting and how many people have just floundered for years without direction. How many people have become bona fide main eventers after age 35? DDP is a famous example and Batista was 35 when he won his first world title but has anyone else done this?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I was looking at WWE wrestler wiki entries and it’s concerning how old their roster is getting and how many people have just floundered for years without direction. How many people have become bona fide main eventers after age 35? DDP is a famous example and Batista was 35 when he won his first world title but has anyone else done this?

depends whether you consider Bradshaw turning into JBL a "bona fide main eventer"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Bret Hart was 35 when he won the WWF title the first time. Can't think of a lot of other guys from that era though. If you go way back there are a few who might fit.

Jim Londos maybe? I don't think he won a major world title (whatever the hell that meant back then) until he was 35. He was a star before then, but he was never given the title during the heyday of Lewis (or Stecher when he was the other major claimant.) Londos has a claim at being the biggest draw of all time too.

John Pesek might count too. He didn't get a major world title until his mid 30s. He was obviously never the star Londos was though.

I can't think of anyone from Mexico in recent memory, a lot of guys get started pretty young. Psycho Clown's main event push finished relatively late but he was still in his early 30s when he became the real top guy in AAA. Even the foreigners like Vampiro and Konnan were in their 20s when they hit it big.

Zeus didn't win the Triple Crown title until his mid 30s but the best example in Japan might be Sugiura. He didn't get started until he was basically in his 30s and didn't win the GHC title until he was nearly 40.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Bowl Champion William Scott Goldberg started at 31, and won his first title World title at 31... and also won his last world title at 53... this year... lol... prolly not his last if we get more Blood Money shows... are any planned/delayed due to covid? even though it doesn't exist in kayfabe

Hirez fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 28, 2020

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

a cyborg mug posted:

made me wonder:

Jimmy Hart managed the Glamour Girls while he was managing the Hart Foundation and the Honky Tonk Man.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

they don’t want bona fide main eventers they want actors to do their little seizure angles

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

they don’t want bona fide main eventers they want actors to do their little seizure angles

That was a possession.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Super No Vacancy posted:

they dont want actors, they want action figures with pull strings

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CopywrightMMXI posted:

You could maybe count Scott Steiner not being a singles star until almost 40

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

College/pro football players generally got a later start in the ring. Wahoo McDaniel was main eventing quickly, but wasn't didn't wrestle year-round until he was 30, as was Ernie Ladd.

Ronnie Garvin was 42 when he won his only world title. He wasn't really a main eventer until then. Or then.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of Rugged Ronnie, is he related to child predator Terry Garvin or is it just one of those wrestling name things?

EDIT: Hey, Tracy Smothers died.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Just a wrestling name thing. Jimmy Garvin however is actually Ronnie's stepson

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Steve Austin was around 35 when he first won the WWE top title

A lot of New Japans main event talent is getting up towards 40. When Bushiroad bought New Japan the first aims were probably get Okada and Naito over as maineventers. Okada was very young (he's only 32 now) but Naito was turning 30 that year. As fans know his push initially failed and it wasn't until he was 34/35 he got to where they wanted him.

Kota Ibushi might still win an iwgp title and he's 38 but he spent chunks of his career just loving around. So despite wrestling like a lunatic he doesn't have the wear on him like say an Okada who is 6 years younger but has wrestled more matches

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 28, 2020

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Speaking of Rugged Ronnie, is he related to child predator Terry Garvin or is it just one of those wrestling name things?

EDIT: Hey, Tracy Smothers died.

Which one is the child predator because there's two different Terry Garvins

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

saffi faildotter posted:

Which one is the child predator because there's two different Terry Garvins

The one that ran the Terry Garvin School of Self Defense that Gorilla would advertise for all the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Terry "the Beauty" Garvin, whose real name was Terry Simms and who died a couple years ago, was not a child predator.

It's confusing, because that Terry Garvin also did an ambiguously gay heel gimmick. He did a neat AMA on his days in the territory.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What have been some decent face turns? Like Batista in 05 was really natural and cool. And what have been some garbage ones?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What have been some decent face turns? Like Batista in 05 was really natural and cool. And what have been some garbage ones?

Daniel Bryan turning back face on the Wyatt Family was great even if the heel turn it reversed was insanely stupid.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

part of a truly terrible angle but regal turning face by saying to triple h "i may be a bad man but I am not a bad enough man to ever think of hurting eugene" worked me extremely hard

all of big shows face turns were terrible, he would go from punching people out one week to being happy and jokey the next with no context or explanation.

ItohRespectArmy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 29, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mr. Perfect had the best face turn I've ever seen in the 90s. For context, Perfect had been Ric Flair's manager for like a year due to injury, alongside Bobby Heenan. It was supposed to be leading to Flair and Razor Ramon vs Macho Man and Ultimate Warrior, but Warrior was abruptly fired. So during one episode of Primetime, Macho spends the whole thing subtly goading Perfect that maybe the reason he's stuck being a manager is that Flair is scared of what he could do if he were wrestling. You could see Perfect initially blowing it off, then slowly thinking "Yeah maybe" while all the time Heenan keeps insinuating that Perfect should stay right where he is. Finally Savage asks Perfect to be his partner vs Flair and Razor. Heenan laughs and says Perfect's smart enough to know where his bread is buttered. Perfect goes "What, you think I can't beat Flair?" Heenan snaps, tells Perfect to know his place and slaps him(!). Then mutters "I'm so sorry" as Perfect dumps a pitcher of water on him and declares he'll be Savage's partner

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 29, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

after legacy lost another 6 man match randy orton rko'd ted dibiase jr and berated cody into hitting ted with a chair. the crowd was screaming and chanting at cody to not do it. after a lot of hemming and hawing cody wailed on randy with the chair and declared himself his own man and was almost immediately out of the gate a very over new young main event babyface for wwe and would have a long and fruitful career at the top of the card wait no they just had him stay heel and jobbed him and dibiase out for the next 3 years until cody was given the stardust gimmick that he was forced to keep even after his dad died

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Even though it ended up being a big fakeout, I always liked this thing with Austin during the beginning of the WCW Invasion angle. Going into it, Austin had resigned himself to kissing Vince's rear end to get ahead, feeling deep inside that he couldn't compete at the level he did in his prime. With the Invasion picking up, Vince told him that he needed "the OLD Stone Cold" to lead the troops. Austin felt it wasn't in him and walked away from it all.

One night on Raw, Austin spent the show hanging out at Tim White's bar, drinking and playing pool alone. Some people would come and try and talk to him, but he'd brush them off. The same night, the WWF/Alliance feud was starting to bubble to the point that it was going to explode any minute. Each locker room was rallying up. This culminated in a very old Freddy Blassie slowly standing up out of his wheelchair and giving a speech for the WWF guys to fight.

Meanwhile, Austin was watching this. He put his head down and started rolling the billiard balls around aimlessly. Then he threw one down on the table, reached for a pool cue, broke it in half and stormed off while Debra yelled, "Steve! Where are you going?!"

Austin appeared at the arena minutes later to help turn the tide against the WCW guys.

It would have been perfect if not for Stephanie ruining it by cornering Blassie and saying that he was going to die soon.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

JOHN CENA posted:

after legacy lost another 6 man match randy orton rko'd ted dibiase jr and berated cody into hitting ted with a chair. the crowd was screaming and chanting at cody to not do it. after a lot of hemming and hawing cody wailed on randy with the chair and declared himself his own man and was almost immediately out of the gate a very over new young main event babyface for wwe and would have a long and fruitful career at the top of the card wait no they just had him stay heel and jobbed him and dibiase out for the next 3 years until cody was given the stardust gimmick that he was forced to keep even after his dad died

I remember an episode from the cursed Guest Host era that ended with Randy RKOing Dusty with Cody in the ring, the crowd going apeshit for him to do something, and the episode ends with him just standing there lol

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jackie D posted:

I remember an episode from the cursed Guest Host era that ended with Randy RKOing Dusty with Cody in the ring, the crowd going apeshit for him to do something, and the episode ends with him just standing there lol

Not only that, but the crowd was chanting "CODY!" and when they showed the highlights the next week they changed it to "CENA!"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gavok posted:

It would have been perfect if not for Stephanie ruining it

This sums up the last 20 years of WWE programming, subbing in HHH for Stephanie when appropriate.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DeathChicken posted:

Mr. Perfect had the best face turn I've ever seen in the 90s. For context, Perfect had been Ric Flair's manager for like a year due to injury, alongside Bobby Heenan. It was supposed to be leading to Flair and Razor Ramon vs Macho Man and Ultimate Warrior, but Warrior was abruptly fired. So during one episode of Primetime, Macho spends the whole thing subtly goading Perfect that maybe the reason he's stuck being a manager is that Flair is scared of what he could do if he were wrestling. You could see Perfect initially blowing it off, then slowly thinking "Yeah maybe" while all the time Heenan keeps insinuating that Perfect should stay right where he is. Finally Savage asks Perfect to be his partner vs Flair and Razor. Heenan laughs and says Perfect's smart enough to know where his bread is buttered. Perfect goes "What, you think I can't beat Flair?" Heenan snaps, tells Perfect to know his place and slaps him(!). Then mutters "I'm so sorry" as Perfect dumps a pitcher of water on him and declares he'll be Savage's partner

There's a video on YouTube (don't have the link handy) of the whole saga, and yeah, it's really good poo poo.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

DeathChicken posted:

Just a wrestling name thing. Jimmy Garvin however is actually Ronnie's stepson

i watched a buncha early 90s wcw stuff awhile ago and i really liked ol jimmy jam garvin, i cant really explain why. he had a really good babyface energy tho, i kinda liked later days freebirds bc of him

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

One of my favorite interviews ever was a fake babyface turn by Arn Anderson in 1994, when Dustin Rhodes asked him to be his tag partner. The internet doesn't seem to have it, though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CombineThresher posted:

This sums up the last 20 years of WWE programming, subbing in HHH for Stephanie when appropriate.

I'm morbidly curious what the Invasion would have been like if Triple H was never injured.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Shine posted:

There's a video on YouTube (don't have the link handy) of the whole saga, and yeah, it's really good poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCvi1JuF4uU

Here it is!

This is pro wrestling as hell and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Gavok posted:

I'm morbidly curious what the Invasion would have been like if Triple H was never injured.

Stone Cold rushes from the bar to the arena, only to be elbowed out of the way by Trips on arrival so he can beat up the likes of Shawn Stasiak and Shane Helms first.