Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Happiness Commando posted:

I think you are obligated to watch several hours of hypnotic log splitting videos on YouTube and then weld together a frankenmachine that will split your hand in half if you're a fraction of a second too slow.

Sorry, but that's the rule.

Any of these ones should do the trick. It is the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Squibbles posted:

Any of these ones should do the trick. It is the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw

Jesus christ that second one is terrifying

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

Holy gently caress. That would be terrifying for a Russian.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I support Death Wheel. Get one of those

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SpartanIvy posted:

Yeah it is like he sat down and said 'hmm, how can I make this maximally dangerous.' The huge unguarded flywheel, the wood chunks flying everywhere, the windlass and rope right next to the huge unguarded flywheel...it's bad folks.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

I support Death Wheel. Get one of those

https://youtu.be/-E4GmFX3Puo

Regardless lesser wheels of death, are Milwaukee Bimetal Hole Saws worth the price premium over a hazard fraught kit?

Tempted by HDs Black Friday sale but not sure if it’s a worthwhile upgrade. I’ve clapped out a few sizes of the HF holesaws, I’m just not sure if the Milwaukee ones are just as expendable without carbide tips

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah it is like he sat down and said 'hmm, how can I make this maximally dangerous.' The huge unguarded flywheel, the wood chunks flying everywhere, the windlass and rope right next to the huge unguarded flywheel...it's bad folks.

Look, he's wearing PPE. What more do you people want?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Trabant posted:

Look, he's wearing PPE...

Crocs?

My favorite part is the way you feed the machine: tentatively shove a log towards the splitter while trying to judge when you need to jump out of the way.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Thread needs more homemade log splitters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7uPQmNY9Kc

The one at 1:35 is sweet.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Dear nerds, tomorrow begins the black Friday event for lie nielsen. Get hyped.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/veritas-seconds-event

This is live now.
Edit: Their website is getting hammered.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 28, 2020

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is live now.

My cheap #5 fell off my bench due to using the router. It just danced off from the vibration.

Absolutely my fault and I'm dumb.

The #5 fell on the plastic tote and it exploded.

This is my excuse for picking up a bevel up jack rabbet plane, thanks for listening.

hrrnngg

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is live now.

Will they not ship seconds to the us?!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

bobua posted:

Will they not ship seconds to the us?!

They will, you just need to keep trying to check out. Swap it to your wish list and then back, then just keep trying.
I ended up entering my credit card info 2x and it easily took 30 minutes of hitting "Confirm order" to get it to work.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

AFewBricksShy posted:

They will, you just need to keep trying to check out. Swap it to your wish list and then back, then just keep trying.
I ended up entering my credit card info 2x and it easily took 30 minutes of hitting "Confirm order" to get it to work.

Oh man you're going to get so many planes in the post

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh man you're going to get so many planes in the post

I hope they are all the miniature one

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

I hope they are all the miniature one

Dollhouse tables need to be flat too!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I remember seeing a video once of a guy that set up a splitter that involved a full length axe welded to a wheel hub or something and it would spin incredibly fast to have enough force to split wood. Sadly I can't find the video anymore

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've been seeing these lately but haven't used one yet. Looks like a cool design but you're loading wood into it and you're limited by the size of the opening. These videos on youtube of all these DIY wood splitters is equal parts fascinating, anxiety inducing, and soothing. Plus that sound of wood splitting is oddly enjoyable.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
I've got a smaller one of those kindling crackers and...it works. I can't really say more for it, it's functional, it splits wood effectively but beyond that I can't say it has anything to recommend it over a splitting maul. Easier to use if you haven't split wood before? It's definitely not lower effort like they claim, and you're limited by the size of the opening which is not the maximum size of wood you can split - if you wedge the largest log you can in there it's just going to get stuck. Also you really need to bolt it to something solid, otherwise it bounces around too much and you lose a lot of force from your swing so at that point you've got a stump with this thing bolted to it and you're swinging a mallet around.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I like to label things, but the labels from (dymo heat printing) label makers inevitably fall off within a few months. Does anyone have recommendations on an alternative that will actually stick well?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jaded Burnout posted:

I like to label things, but the labels from (dymo heat printing) label makers inevitably fall off within a few months. Does anyone have recommendations on an alternative that will actually stick well?

I have always used brother p-touch and they don't weld to your pats, but genreally stay attached without issues. You could use a secondary adhesive if you want them really bonded down.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What surfaces are you sticking to because we use dymo at work and have decade-old labels stuck to great or brittle flaky wiring. In fact it's probably structural labelling at this point.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

What surfaces are you sticking to because we use dymo at work and have decade-old labels stuck to great or brittle flaky wiring. In fact it's probably structural labelling at this point.

Perhaps it's my labels. Variety of surfaces, mostly moulded plastic, like containers.

SEKCobra posted:

You could use a secondary adhesive if you want them really bonded down.

I'm tempted. I don't mind "comes off with a bit of effort" but I'd like to avoid "falls off on its own given time".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Put some super glue on them before you stick'em. Then your problem will be removing the labels.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I've had good luck with the dymo nylon industrial labels. They last anywhere that isn't subject to daily washdown. The superglue is a good trick, works well with laser engraved tags as well, but the best thing there is just to rivet them on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Maybe my labels are old also. Alright I'll look for the industrial ones, thanks. I think I did that when buying labels for wiring, but I've not tried those yet and I don't have the same type for non-wiring purposes. It can be a bit tricky since there's only a few industrial dymo tapes that will work with my non-industrial labeller, but at worst I can get a new labeller, since there's no point in having one I don't use.

Superglue as a back up is a good suggestion, thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Perhaps it's my labels. Variety of surfaces, mostly moulded plastic, like containers.

Definitely try another roll of labels. I've had this happen before with ptouch and dymo. Not even necessarily "old", just a bad roll. It really sucks when you've gone through and labeled a couple racks of customer equipment and come back a month later to see them all peeled up. Sigh. Don't get to re-bill for that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

Definitely try another roll of labels. I've had this happen before with ptouch and dymo. Not even necessarily "old", just a bad roll. It really sucks when you've gone through and labeled a couple racks of customer equipment and come back a month later to see them all peeled up. Sigh. Don't get to re-bill for that.

On the other hand I get to correct the spelling on my drawer of "Mesuring instruments".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Silver linings and all.

I also forgot to mention the mild panic that sets in when you start thinking "what other sites did I use that roll on before or after....when the' last time I changed a roll? Oh poo poo. This is gonna be bad. Can I just put clear packing tape over all of this mess?"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
A little trick that works pretty well on some plastics is to clean the surface with a tiny bit of acetone before labeling. It'll soften the plastic a bit, plus removed all residual grease/oil/finger scuzz.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Jaded Burnout posted:

On the other hand I get to correct the spelling on my drawer of "Mesuring instruments".

You can buy premade labels for that drawer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LVSXY7Z/

Speaking of measuring bits, some of Home Depot’s black friday deals are live. Just bought a set of Milwaukee Carpenter squares, and hoo boy what a treat.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 30, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

You can buy premade labels for that drawer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LVSXY7Z/

Well, it does include my stud finder :heysexy:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, it does include my stud finder :heysexy:

What about levels?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/966429057180928/

Do these clamps seem like a good deal?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:eyepop:
I'd buy those clamps in a second. drat, lucky guy with your vintage clamps

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
I'd buy those clamps in a second. drat, lucky guy with your vintage clamps

There is nothing about hand screw clamps that make vintage ones any better than new.

I'd offer the guy $20 for the pair, you can usually find ones those size on sale for $15 a piece at Rockler.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
While installing a bearing to my cutter head on my jointer, trying to get a new Shelix head on, I put too much pressure on the bearing housing and snapped it in half. Too much liberal application of the swing press and a hollow, deep socket to get it seated. I'm a loving idiot and very disappointed. It's been a silly few weeks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried one of the cheapo Chinese drills? I've used a knockoff Makita impact for a while to take off lug nuts and various other stuck nuts and bolts on the car with great success so considering I'd need a drill much less often, I just wanted to get something compatible with the battery.

https://www.banggood.com/18V-Cordle...ur_warehouse=CZ
https://www.banggood.com/88VF-Recha...ur_warehouse=CN
Maybe another possibility could be to get an adapter and drill with the impact the few occasions that I need it.

I like brushless stuff but would it be worth the :10bux: difference? Unlike the impact, there aren't many proper reviews I could find so this would be a bit of a gamble, though not a huge one obviously.

I'm also looking to get my dad some tools because there's something always missing when he needs it around the house. He's not really a DIY guy so it's just basic maintenance in the house + bicycle. I know the kits are generally not recommended but I don't think the occasional use would justify a $100 set of Wiha screwdrivers, Snap-on ratchets, etc.

So this Makita kit seems to be popular and is well reviewed but I don't think he'd need the million bits or sockets that make up most of it

This thing from Lidl seems like it would be more useful, but maybe a bit too minimalistic?

Maybe one of these Yato kits, the last one looks like would have more useful stuff for around the house. Do you need any weird stuff for bicycles?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

This thing from Lidl seems like it would be more useful, but maybe a bit too minimalistic?

This looks like the best tool kit you posted, because it has a tape measure and a level (unlike the other kits). To work on bicycles you mostly just need a socket wrench, and that would cover it. Any kind of more specialized bike tools (for messing with the chain or something) would not be included in a generic kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried one of the cheapo Chinese drills? I've used a knockoff Makita impact for a while to take off lug nuts and various other stuck nuts and bolts on the car with great success so considering I'd need a drill much less often, I just wanted to get something compatible with the battery.

https://www.banggood.com/18V-Cordle...ur_warehouse=CZ
https://www.banggood.com/88VF-Recha...ur_warehouse=CN
Maybe another possibility could be to get an adapter and drill with the impact the few occasions that I need it.

I like brushless stuff but would it be worth the :10bux: difference? Unlike the impact, there aren't many proper reviews I could find so this would be a bit of a gamble, though not a huge one obviously.

I'm also looking to get my dad some tools because there's something always missing when he needs it around the house. He's not really a DIY guy so it's just basic maintenance in the house + bicycle. I know the kits are generally not recommended but I don't think the occasional use would justify a $100 set of Wiha screwdrivers, Snap-on ratchets, etc.

So this Makita kit seems to be popular and is well reviewed but I don't think he'd need the million bits or sockets that make up most of it

Maybe one of these Yato kits, the last one looks like would have more useful stuff for around the house. Do you need any weird stuff for bicycles?

Didn’t project farm do a comparison that included one knockoff? I think it did well. If you’re looking for bargains consider Harbor Freight which is sort of a reputable knockoff.

That said I came here to post about Ryobi which is a little more but has millions more compatible tools(and more like glue guns, vacuum cleaners, tire inflators).

Anyone looked at the Ryobi HP+? I always thought their biggest weakness was the size of their drill. The HP+ is a lot better. I’m trying to decide if I can justify it for Christmas.

$99 and it’s brushless. They have an impact, RA, and a couple saws.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 1, 2020