Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think part of the reason is to avoid poo poo like what's going on with your wife's contributions. This is also consulting so even our least well compensated people can certainly max their 401(k) off of base salary checks without too much difficulty, probably part of it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

2021 income and contribution limits are out, no additional tax advantaged space it looks like.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/income-ranges-for-determining-ira-eligibility-change-for-2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Where does 401(k) spillover post-tax money usually go?

Call fidelity on the netbenefits support line (you need to specifically get to your 401k support, it's different from the regular support. Ask about "Roth in plan conversion for after tax dollars." If your plan supports it sign up for it. Your after tax dollars will be converted to Roth dollars and you will never pay taxes on them again. It's called mega backdoor Roth 401k if you want to Google it.

Re bonus chat: like all 401ks "it depends". If your employer supports breaking out bonuses from salary deferral then you can. Some don't bother with 401k on bonus, some force it to be identical to regular, and some let you specify it differently. Same with % vs $. It's silly.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

New Vanguard app seems pretty solid. It is not out yet but you can try it with the early access.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

crazypeltast52 posted:

2021 income and contribution limits are out, no additional tax advantaged space it looks like.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/income-ranges-for-determining-ira-eligibility-change-for-2021

There's an extra $50/individual or $100/family if you've got an HSA! :toot:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Yond Cassius posted:

There's an extra $50/individual or $100/family if you've got an HSA! :toot:

Hell yea, 1/8th of a checkup! :haw:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sundae posted:

Hell yea, 1/8th of a checkup! :haw:

Hey, it's an aspirin and two band-aids in an emergency-room!

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Secure Act 2 is in the works. Doesn't look like there's much that will dramatically affect anything for most of us. It's mostly focused on increasing automatic enrollment. One interesting thing is that they're looking to make student loan payments eligible for an employer match. So you could put your percentage of your 401k payments towards student loans with, I'm assuming, after tax money, and then your employer can put your match into your 401k based on that. Idea being that they want people who would avoid contributing to a 401k due to student loan debt to get the opportunity to get the benefits of having a 401k and putting money aside for retirement.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

acidx posted:

Secure Act 2 is in the works. Doesn't look like there's much that will dramatically affect anything for most of us. It's mostly focused on increasing automatic enrollment. One interesting thing is that they're looking to make student loan payments eligible for an employer match. So you could put your percentage of your 401k payments towards student loans with, I'm assuming, after tax money, and then your employer can put your match into your 401k based on that. Idea being that they want people who would avoid contributing to a 401k due to student loan debt to get the opportunity to get the benefits of having a 401k and putting money aside for retirement.

What a hosed up way to deal with a crisis in higher education costs and loans.

I mean, it sounds pretty good given the fact that we live in the hell world and that's realistically the best we'll get.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ the proposed solution to the student loan crisis being to help those people put more money in the stock market

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My alma mater just announced it's slashing tuition 20% due to a massive drop in enrollment :chanpop:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

:lol: @ the proposed solution to the student loan crisis being to help those people put more money in the stock market

I can't wait for them to forget to do anything about match vesting and let employers bill their employees for unvested contributions toward their student loans when they leave the company.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Absolutely wrong thread

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
"What's a four-oh-one-kay?"
-Most everyone who's burdened by student debt

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

withak posted:

The plan isn't to help them put money into the stock market as far as I can tell. It's to let people with student loans use their employers 401k matching for their student loans. They're actually forgoing investing in the stock market for paying off student loans.

It's still dumb as hell though. What the government should just do is either forgive the student loans (or at the very least forgive them faster than they are currently and make that forgiven amount non-taxable), reduce the interest on the student loans, and/or reduce the required payments under IBR so that the people holding those loans can invest in their retirement.

This proposed solution doesn't do anything to help people who are unable to invest in retirement because they are burdened by student loans. They still have to pay off those student loans. And they won't have any spare money to go toward retirement.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Am I making a mistake? My company got acquired. The old 401k plan had a .15 expense ratio and the new plan has a .4 expense ratio so rather than rollover balance I opened a Vanguard Rollover IRA (traditional) in my personal account and sent the old 401k there instead. My plan is to enroll that account under their Digital Advisor program alongside my roth IRA.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

New Vanguard app seems pretty solid. It is not out yet but you can try it with the early access.

I’ll have to look at this. My only gripe with Vanguard is their app and website are both functional, but man do they also kind of suck. I’ll take any improvement.

Edit: link for anyone that wants to try it :

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/mobile-apps

Edit: can confirm: it is a way better setup. Obviously just can’t do everything the current app does yet.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 29, 2020

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Razzled posted:

Am I making a mistake? My company got acquired. The old 401k plan had a .15 expense ratio and the new plan has a .4 expense ratio so rather than rollover balance I opened a Vanguard Rollover IRA (traditional) in my personal account and sent the old 401k there instead. My plan is to enroll that account under their Digital Advisor program alongside my roth IRA.
It's a mistake if you don't already have a traditional IRA and ever plan on doing a backdoor roth in the future.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spf3million posted:

It's a mistake if you don't already have a traditional IRA and ever plan on doing a backdoor roth in the future.

Unless he can roll Trad IRA into an existing 401k which is getting more and more normal. The only mistake is the digital advisor imo. Put it in a target fund and call it a day.

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll have to look at this. My only gripe with Vanguard is their app and website are both functional, but man do they also kind of suck. I’ll take any improvement.

Edit: link for anyone that wants to try it :

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/mobile-apps

Edit: can confirm: it is a way better setup. Obviously just can’t do everything the current app does yet.

I also like the setup, it will be interesting to see how the entire functionality gets flushed out.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 29, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

spwrozek posted:

Unless he can roll Trad IRA into an existing 401k which is getting more and more normal. The only mistake is the digital advisor imo. Put it in a target fund and call it a day.

I also like the setup, it will be interesting to see how the entire functionality gets flushed out.

yeah no problem there, the original 401k was on a vanguard target fund so that was part of the reason i decided to put it there since I can just put it back into the vanguard target 2055 fund

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Razzled posted:

yeah no problem there, the original 401k was on a vanguard target fund so that was part of the reason i decided to put it there since I can just put it back into the vanguard target 2055 fund
What he's saying is you don't need to pay someone .3% of your account to put your money in a target fund, you can do that yourself for zero dollars. Not sure if you already know this, but the Vanguard advisory service is not mandatory - you can invest in a VG target fund yourself through Vanguard without paying for an advisor.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

moana posted:

What he's saying is you don't need to pay someone .3%

"I don't want my 401k cost to increase by 0.25%, let me move it into something that raises it by 0.30%."

I am not accounting for whatever the base rate of the target date fund which might be less than 0.15%.

Also don't let this stop you from investing in your 401k. 0.40% is fine. You're talking about $50 dollars per year increase, lots of people have 1% plans which they should still invest in if they exceed the IRA limit.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 29, 2020

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Razzled posted:

Do you have the option of "do nothing and have multiple 401ks?" As others have pointed out, hurting future backdoor capabilities might not be worth it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

CubicalSucrose posted:

Do you have the option of "do nothing and have multiple 401ks?" As others have pointed out, hurting future backdoor capabilities might not be worth it.

if i do nothing it gets converted into a personal ira anyway but on a servicer i dont use personally. and yes for the above i understood the idea behind just investing it directly into the target fund, that is why i put it into my personal vanguard.

and yes, i'm not going to stop putting money into the new 401k, i'm just not going to rollover my balance

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Razzled posted:

if i do nothing it gets converted into a personal ira anyway but on a servicer i dont use personally. and yes for the above i understood the idea behind just investing it directly into the target fund, that is why i put it into my personal vanguard.

and yes, i'm not going to stop putting money into the new 401k, i'm just not going to rollover my balance

But you said: "My plan is to enroll that account under their Digital Advisor program alongside my roth IRA"

Why are you paying for digital advisor on a target date fund? it is crazy and a waste of money. That is what everyone is confused about.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

spwrozek posted:

But you said: "My plan is to enroll that account under their Digital Advisor program alongside my roth IRA"

Why are you paying for digital advisor on a target date fund? it is crazy and a waste of money. That is what everyone is confused about.

the plan was to put it under the advisor, but since everyone thinks that's a bad idea i can just put it in the target fund. digital advisor does what it wants, i can't tell it what to invest in

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm in my early 30s and student loans having no interest for the last several months has helped me finally finish the things off.

Anyway now I need to invest I guess!!!

I am a US citizen but live/work abroad, and have since I was in my mid-20s so I basically have nothing paid into social security and no 401k. I do have some savings (which I dipped into to just kill the last of said student loans) but no real investments of any worth.

I assumed a Roth IRA would be the best place to start but on some cursory research starting/getting one while working overseas is somewhere between hard and impossible because you need make some magic goldilocks income where you make enough to be over the FEIE and not enough to be ineligible for a Roth IRA itself.

There's also a traditional IRA but no one seems to recommend this for anyone so I'm a bit skeptical of why they're so bad... or maybe they're good???

Where do I put money?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You can't do a trad IRA either if you don't have earned income (or exclude it all). Have you looked into whether it makes sense for you to do the foreign tax credit instead?

Or you could open a taxable account.

Expat communities will be more likely to have good answers for your specific country and what the rules are.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Trad IRAs are usually not recommended for most people for some combination of the following reasons:
3) Growth on Roth IRA contributions is effectively untaxed. You may pay a slightly higher marginal tax rate now (since you are likely to make more money now than in retirement), but this is more than made up for by the fact that your money is growing for ~30+ years.
2) Future tax policies at your retirement are uncertain. It's possible/likely that tax rates go up in the future. Most Americans have access to a 401(k), which has the same tax treatment as a trad IRA - money isn't taxed on contribution now, but is taxed on withdrawal in retirement. Locking in relatively low tax rates now for some of your retirement money via a Roth IRA serves as a hedge against changing future tax policies, since most Americans have both a 401(k) and an IRA.

Much like anyone else who earns above the theoretical income limit for Roth IRAs, you can do a backdoor conversion of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. This is an exceedingly simple process (I fund my traditional IRA annually, then click a button in Vanguard). You will owe ordinary income taxes on the money you contributed to the IRA, so check and make sure this doesn't gently caress with your other expat tax stuff.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Anyone see the article on high interest savings app, Beam?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/10/28/beam-promised-higher-interest-rates-now-customers-want-their-money-back.html

After the discussion of HM Bradley in this thread, I opened an account and I’ve put a few bucks in it. Haven’t moved my emergency fund over yet, but this article about Beam has gotten me a little skeptical about HM Bradley

I don’t think the same red flags are there like Beam listed 50 bank partners, who when contacted denied having any relationship with Beam. HM Bradley is only affiliated with Hatch bank.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Baxate posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/10/28/beam-promised-higher-interest-rates-now-customers-want-their-money-back.html

After the discussion of HM Bradley in this thread, I opened an account and I’ve put a few bucks in it. Haven’t moved my emergency fund over yet, but this article about Beam has gotten me a little skeptical about HM Bradley

I don’t think the same red flags are there like Beam listed 50 bank partners, who when contacted denied having any relationship with Beam. HM Bradley is only affiliated with Hatch bank.

I definitely can see the concern... I feel better about Hatch being a real bank and it being owned by firstrust in Philly. Accounts insured by Hatch. I guess we will see though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Baxate posted:

Ah yes, the paypal model of "we're not a bank, good luck" combined with good old fashioned grift. I wonder how much money went into peoples salaries instead of being swept.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
I've got a 401a with TIAA and thought I'd check in on it after a couple years of inattention. I was a little weirded out to see that my rate of return for the year is 0.2%. The economy hasn't been great this year, so is this normal? My 3-year return rate is 6.2% and my 5-year return rate is 7.8%, which seems better, but the rate of return per year fluctuates wildly: +25% in 2019, -10.5% in 2018, +21% in 2017, +8.7% in 2016. Is this a normal swing or is my investment too aggressive?

The distribution is 92% equities and 8% real estate, apparently distributed between a variety of funds previously picked by TIAA. They do have target funds; would I be better off switching to that? Sorry for the newbie questions, and thank you. :)

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Maybe you’re not keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked we’re in the midst of a global pandemic. 0.3% this year is actually way better than it probably should be. For what it’s worth, I’m up 15% since last October in my TSP fund, and probably flat for the year.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

Velius posted:

Maybe you’re not keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked we’re in the midst of a global pandemic. 0.3% this year is actually way better than it probably should be. For what it’s worth, I’m up 15% since last October in my TSP fund, and probably flat for the year.

Yes, I figured 0.3% was possibly fine considering the state of the world, but I didn't feel qualified to judge. Thanks! :)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm up 12.5% but I was a naughty boy and timed the market.

MagicBoots
Mar 29, 2010

How about we pump the atmosphere full of methane?
You put me on Cargo handling optimization?! I am the premier defense specialist in the entirety of the UN!
Don't you dare pull my funding!
You can't cut back on funding!
You will regret this!
My employer just added some kind of advisor to our 401k that charges 0.5% of our total balance per quarter. I asked about an in-service rollover to my IRA and apparently that isn't allowed under our plan, so my savings are just stuck I guess? :shepicide:

They sent out an email since apparently I'm not the only one that is pissed:

quote:

Some of you may have noticed you received an email from REDACTED regarding advisory fees. This is because the Company has retained Twelve Points to assist in the maintenance and running of our 401(k)Plan. While we have been working tirelessly to keep the Company in compliance, while also trying to provide you with the ultimate benefit package compared to other companies our size, we felt we were missing a piece with our 401K.

Twelve Points will not only be overseeing the entire plan from a ERISA fiduciary standpoint but moreover, are here for YOU! They provide a robust financial wellness program and are truly a trusted advisor to the Company but more importantly you. You will see more of this as we roll them out to our entire staff over the upcoming weeks.

Their financial wellness program is apparently there to advise us on our allocations.....My entire 401K is in a Vanguard target retirement fund so I'm not sure what they are going to advise me on.

edit: Also, since we are aparently comparing. I am up ~6.5% for the year, I increased my contributions during the covid crash earlier in the year but am sort of regretting it now.

MagicBoots fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 31, 2020

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I would absolutely raise hell over that robbery. No sane program manager would add that so they must be getting some kind of kick back.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MagicBoots posted:

edit: Also, since we are aparently comparing. I am up ~6.5% for the year, I increased my contributions during the covid crash earlier in the year but am sort of regretting it now.

https://twitter.com/StockCats/status/1274042037185253376?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MagicBoots posted:

My employer just added some kind of advisor to our 401k that charges 0.5% of our total balance per quarter. I asked about an in-service rollover to my IRA and apparently that isn't allowed under our plan, so my savings are just stuck I guess? :shepicide:

They sent out an email since apparently I'm not the only one that is pissed:

Their financial wellness program is apparently there to advise us on our allocations.....My entire 401K is in a Vanguard target retirement fund so I'm not sure what they are going to advise me on.

They're charging you 2% a year for this? That's insane. How much is your company? How are they that far out of compliance? Download their 401k reports from the DOL and see what they were paying.