Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-289/chapter/21473?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007914

Official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

That loving DETERMINATION face Nejire makes on page 5.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

PMush Perfect posted:

Remember when Iida got a whole character arc? Remember when Ojiro was on-screen?

I had to google search "Ojiro MHA" to remember who he was.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Come on. It's as Ojiro as the nose on Plain's face.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

"JESUS loving TAPDANCING CHRIST ON A MOTHERFUCKING SHITHOUSE CRACKER"

Seeing the actual line just makes the speed translation look even weirder.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A few notes on the setup here:

• Dabi, Endeavor, Todoroki, blah blah blah we know.
  • Dabi was standing next to Skeptic in the leadup chapters, and was verrry interested in Skeptic's cameras.
  • We've precedent from Curious/Toga and MVA that the MLA deploys cameras everywhere and uses them to massage public narrative.
  • Dabi is very excited here, we are almost certainly going to get the reveal on the Todoroki Family setup, broadcast to Japan at large.

Now, what could throw a twist into this seemingly very obvious and clear setup?

• Deku vs. Shigaraki is giving enough clues to the immediately present Pro Heroes that One For All was passed down to Deku.
  • Bakugo's mid-arc flashback hints that we'll see the 4th User's quirk manifest here, particularly given ...
  • ... Deku is PISSED, which has been how he's manifested new Quirks previously (Black Whip, Float) keeping with the 5th user's instructions.
  • Japan, 4 = death, etc etc, plus All Might being uncomfortable, suggests that the 4th Quirk is going to be something really nasty.

So given these two things: what happens when the new Symbol of Peace (Endeavor) gets outed and humiliated on national broadcast, combined with the revelation of All Might's true successor (Deku) being a monstrous berserker with frightening Quirks? Hero Society already thinks of Deku as scary given his self-damage during the Sports Festival arc, and his other successes were either covered up (Overhaul, Stain) or simply not publicized (Gentle).

Final note, not that it was ever really in question, but Shigaraki's burns and Dabi's burns are illustrated using similar patterns. Shigaraki got his burns from Endeavor's Prominence Burn, while Dabi...?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
At first I thought the Dabi = Endeavor's son theory was dumb for this reason, but presumably those are self-inflicted burns after blasting his quirk way too hard. (On the one hand: how could he go that far without stopping due to pain? On the other: Deku.) Even when he uses it now I'm pretty sure we have seen it singe the edge of his remaining flesh, but I don't remember off hand what chapter/panel.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 1, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dabi is going to try to tell the world that Hawks killed Best Jeanist, only for him to show up and kick Dabi's rear end.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viridiant posted:

He’s absolute dead weight, is what he is

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
You could fully Thanos snap half of Class A and the series would only be better for it

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Rhonne posted:

If it is some kind of regeneration quirk, then I'm betting it'll be a "regenerate now, shorten your overall lifespan later" type deal.

I think if it's going to be curative, it'll be something superficial - like pain suppression. Keep pounding that arm into soup, Deku.

Or maybe it'll be truly pyrrhic, like the ability to heal others by hurting oneself.

I can't get away from All Might's reluctance to tell Deku about what he even thought it was, and my train of thought leads me to believe it's because of who Deku is, not the power itself. This, while also keeping in mind that this person inherited One for All at some point, so they must have had something ostensibly useful in that context, and a relatively short tenure.

e: I also think the shortened lifespan idea is possible, but I think there would have to be some immediate indication to Deku that that's the trade in order for it to not feel goofy. The main reason I don't think it's that is that Deku would absolutely trade whatever he needed to in order to end this right now, and unbridled 100% OFA absolutely would, even if only for a short time.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 1, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The only things All Might has ever hesitated to tell Deku about is things that he believes will either endanger Deku or encourage Deku to hurt himself, so yeah, it's probably some kind of self-sacrifice quirk or some kind of quirk with horrific drawbacks to the user.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kanos posted:

The only things All Might has ever hesitated to tell Deku about is things that he believes will either endanger Deku or encourage Deku to hurt himself, so yeah, it's probably some kind of self-sacrifice quirk or some kind of quirk with horrific drawbacks to the user.

"A previous user of One For All had a Quirk where whenever he broke the bones in his arms, his power would be increased a thousand times over."

*Izuku is furiously writing this down*

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I figure this quirk heals him or others but takes years off his lifespan, like Luffy getting the healing treatment in Impel Down. You know, the power up with no real stakes involved, just 'consequences' down the line.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Translator Trivia.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Raposa posted:

I figure this quirk heals him or others but takes years off his lifespan, like Luffy getting the healing treatment in Impel Down. You know, the power up with no real stakes involved, just 'consequences' down the line.

Its gonna activate but he wont have any control like with Black whip, and end up sucking the life out of Lida or something equally tragic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raposa posted:

Ah, the Kaioken.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

“[does X] at cost of lifespan” is a deeply lame shounen trope that’s way overplayed and tends to never really become relevant to the narrative anyway. Besides, it doesn’t really fit Hori’s style - I fully expect that whatever the downside of #4’s quirk is, its gonna be a lot more gruesome and concrete rather than an abstract threat like “shortens your lifespan”

E: lmao, it would be extremely funny if its a vampirism-based quirk ala Toga, since she’s been more relevant lately

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 2, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What if it costs Midoriya's dignity? :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You gotta activate it by puttin' your pants all the way down

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

To activate it, he has to hold hands with a girl.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The 4th’s quirk can make anyone you choose poo poo their pants, but you have to poo poo your own pants first to activate it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's the same as Brook's devil fruit. Search your feeling you already know Deku afro is his true form.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
With the trivia bits about Ochako and the All Might gift, I'm kinda wondering if this is going to be one of those shonen manga where somebody actually just out and says they're into somebody else.

It could just be a prop only for the Ochako v Toga feud, but I do wonder

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Will the climax of the Ochako - Toga feud be Ochako vs. Ochako-Toga, or Orchaka vs. Deku-Toga? I'm leaning Ochako-Toga cause how do you even write a scene where float takes on OFA.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

TheHan posted:

Will the climax of the Ochako - Toga feud be Ochako vs. Ochako-Toga, or Orchaka vs. Deku-Toga? I'm leaning Ochako-Toga cause how do you even write a scene where float takes on OFA.

She hasn't learned how to manage the power the way Deku has and immediately explodes.

Alternatively it's the same problem as copy-guy where she can only recreate his ability to stockpile power over time, so she's starting from nothing.

The more predictable outcome is it's just used to psych her out so she hesitates for a moment then gets captured, the shapeshifting character classic. Though it's also fun to see that one subverted and a panel where Toga as Deku comes around a corner and Ochaco decks them full in the face would rule.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Toga subverts all of our expectations and copies Gigamachia

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh right so people have forgotten, again, that the mystery behind the 4th was not his quirk but who the person was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All 4 One.....

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Electric Phantasm posted:

If Koichi is any indication, he'll wind up getting Toga as a girlfriend. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 2, 2020

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dolash posted:

She hasn't learned how to manage the power the way Deku has and immediately explodes.

Alternatively it's the same problem as copy-guy where she can only recreate his ability to stockpile power over time, so she's starting from nothing.

The more predictable outcome is it's just used to psych her out so she hesitates for a moment then gets captured, the shapeshifting character classic. Though it's also fun to see that one subverted and a panel where Toga as Deku comes around a corner and Ochaco decks them full in the face would rule.

Having already seen someone try to copy Midoriya's quirk and fail, I bet she'd call Toga's bluff on trying to use OFA.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ah, the same flaw Kaminari picked at chargen

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I hope Nejire does something cool next chapter. This being MHA I expect to be disappointed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Onmi posted:

Oh right so people have forgotten, again, that the mystery behind the 4th was not his quirk but who the person was.

It’s both, all might had scratched out all the information on him in the notes, not just his quirk or identity

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

His quirk is to erase all memory of himself, including redacting his name in writing.

Also, I'm imagining All Might in muscle form writing in a regular sized notebook and it's very charming.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I keep seeing a theory that A4O and A2O are Bakugo and Kirishima, and I kinda want it to be for how little sense it makes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You aren't wrong, that might be the least parseable collection of words I've read in this thread.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Skeptic is going to try and hack the cameras in order to broadcast this to the country only for him to get counter hacked by La Brava and then Gentle swoops in and saves everyone.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You aren't wrong, that might be the least parseable collection of words I've read in this thread.

I think they're talking about the two past OFA users that haven't been revealed yet. A lot of people think their silhouettes look kind of like Bakugo and Kirishima.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 2, 2020

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
considering the timeline of events we have here that's 100% impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm kinda hoping that time travel is out of the picture even if Horikoshi wants to do his version of Cable.