Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

graventy posted:

Uhh.. did this thread decide to dress up as the litRPG/web serials thread for Halloween?
You have equipped LitRPG costume! [+5 wordcount, +3 release schedule]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

graventy posted:

Uhh.. did this thread decide to dress up as the litRPG/web serials thread for Halloween?

No, somebody just saw the word copacetic and had a spasm.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Kesper North posted:

I bet it's easier for the average reader to empathize with the lowly boot.

I'm trying to think of a pre-2001 milSF series that isn't one of these three things that isn't The Forever War or Bujold's Vorkosigan series and it isn't really working. I've seen some (pun intended) novel milSF in the last ten years though.

Boot camp sequences are also a easy way to pad out your first book, and often to let the author yell about how basic training/society is TOO SOFT! these days.

quantumfoam made me read some of the Sten books by Chris Bunch and Allan Cole and they actually had the audacity to repeat the boot camp sequence after a couple books.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

C.M. Kruger posted:

Boot camp sequences are also a easy way to pad out your first book, and often to let the author yell about how basic training/society is TOO SOFT! these days.

In theory they are also a natural starting point for a couple of valid reasons (follow someone's military career from the start; introduce the reader to however things work along with the characters).

In theory.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kesper North posted:

I'm trying to think of a pre-2001 milSF series that isn't one of these three things that isn't The Forever War or Bujold's Vorkosigan series and it isn't really working.

Both of those do have boot camp/lowly soldier doing lowly soldier things sequences, though.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Light Brigade has the best milsf boot camp segment because it is also every other part of the war, simultaneously.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Groke posted:

Both of those do have boot camp/lowly soldier doing lowly soldier things sequences, though.

Most of the ones in the Vorkosigan Saga are people telling stories. Like Miles telling how Ivan's squad got stuck in a swap chasing a sniper (Miles) and had to be pulled out by heavy equipment. Then Ivan finishes the story by telling how Miles was laughing so hard he fell out of a tree and broke his arm. Good diagetic stuff, not YABootcampStory.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Whoever recommended Orconomics, ty! Actually very solid, and both it and the sequel are free right now if you’ve got kindle unlimited. You definitely need to be up for the satire of fantasy tropes/modern capitalism, but I ended up really enjoying it.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
For everyone who was discussing Will Wight, thank you. I'd never heard of him but I'm really enjoying the Cradle series.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I finally read Martha Wells Network Effect and overall liked it.

Going full novel sized in the murderbot series finally made it apparent how many elements the murderbot series shares with other Martha Wells written stories. Definitely see the murderbot series as a technology Raksura series now, or the Raksura series as a highly condensed 7x speed murderbot fantasy series. More people should read Martha Well's Fall of Ile-Rein series. They bridge the gap between the murderbot & raksura series despite being written 5+ years earlier than both series (the Ile-Rein setting is magika steampunk).

Still think of murderbot as gender neutral, and main niggles with Network Effect was how murderbot initially fit so many drones into their EVA suit, and then why murderbot /ART didn't make up a few dozen more drones for murderbot before going down to SpookyAbandonedColonyPlanet. Hell, even one or two of ART's repair drones getting loaned out would have made sense, unless drone creation is LostTech or verboten in the murderbot series for artificial intelligences.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016CQUL4U/

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

pradmer posted:

Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016CQUL4U/

Pre-Tolkien fantasy for those curious. A Danish engineer in WW2 finds himself transported back to a Charlemagne era fantasy world with swan maids and dwarfs. Short, but good.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ben Nevis posted:

Pre-Tolkien fantasy for those curious. A Danish engineer in WW2 finds himself transported back to a Charlemagne era fantasy world with swan maids and dwarfs. Short, but good.

This book is the source for a lot of Dungeons & Dragons stuff, including much of the alignment system, regenerating trolls, and how the paladin class works.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It definitely isn't pre-Tolkien, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kestral posted:

Light Brigade has the best milsf boot camp segment because it is also every other part of the war, simultaneously.

It also distinguishes itself by having a female lead.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

It definitely isn't pre-Tolkien, though.

The original 1953 novella on which the 1961 novel is based is just barely pre-The Fellowship of the Ring (1954).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Happy Halloween everybody rewatch event horizon

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers #3) by Becky Chambers - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BFJCB9/

Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5M7DB/

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN8BQMD/

Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GK21XK/

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller #1) by Patrick Rothfuss - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SKUYM/

The Color of Magic (Discworld #1) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W9399S/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

graventy posted:

No, it was more shining their flashlight under their chin and spooking each other out with stories about what happens when you type "anime" five times into the Amazon search box.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
lol if you get your litrpg from high-quality sources like amazon

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I read al the Song of Ice and Fire novels back in 2014. I enjoyed it well enough, glad I always steered clear of the TV show. Anyway, then I read Brandon Sanderson's stuff since he was the other guy who got talked about a lot on a forum i frequented.

Individually these were all pretty big books and they were part of a series so quite a time investment for me. But I still reread all the present Stormlight Archive in preparation for the next book I would say I enjoy TSA more than ASOIAF but even if I didn't, the motivation of seeing where the series will go got me to do it again.

It was a joke in 2014 about Martin dying before ASOIAF would be finished. It's not so funny any more in 2020. I don't think I could ever bring myself to reread the books given the fact there may very well be no ending or satisfying resolution to any of it.

I'm not the most avid fiction book reader, though. Any of you had to deal with this? The crushing reality of "there will be no ending"? Does that put a damper on things for you?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

We know what the ending is, the TV show did a bad version of it.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man
Yeah, the ending of the show is basically what Martin gave to the showrunners from his notes, though Martin doesn't seem to be tempted to make a rush job of it, so maybe his rendition will be good.

If the fear is that Martin will keel over, though, there are still options; Sanderson famously finished The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed away, and did a decent enough job of it. Martin or whoever manages his estate may not want that, but it's an option.

I guess my advice would be to read more fiction. Find other authors you like who have a better writing pace, and are more transparent with their progress. Or pick up a different series that's finished, like the aforementioned Wheel of Time. There's nothing wrong with getting invested in and excited for a particular series or book, but these days, if dates slip or plans fall through, I just shrug because there's plenty more to read.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

JagerNinja posted:

If the fear is that Martin will keel over, though, there are still options; Sanderson famously finished The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed away, and did a decent enough job of it.

Well, that's one take.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pseudanonymous posted:

Well, that's one take.
I haven't heard anyone say Sanderson did any worse than Jordan was doing, is that not the consensus? I gave up around book nine when nothing loving happened.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Sanderson is absolutely not the guy to finish Song of Fire and Ice and to his credit he's been public about that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

Sanderson is absolutely not the guy to finish Song of Fire and Ice and to his credit he's been public about that.

Winds of Winter except no one cusses and all sex happens offscreen

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

I didn't say that I think Sanderson should finish Song of Ice and Fire, just that Sanderson finished that other fantasy epic and so someone else could finish Song of Ice and Fire in that fashion.

I agree that Sanderson is not the right man to finish that series.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

JagerNinja posted:

I didn't say that I think Sanderson should finish Song of Ice and Fire, just that Sanderson finished that other fantasy epic and so someone else could finish Song of Ice and Fire in that fashion.

I agree that Sanderson is not the right man to finish that series.

Definitely should be rothfuss [original joke do not steal]

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

awesmoe posted:

Definitely should be rothfuss [original joke do not steal]

I intentionally didn't mention Rothfuss because if this guy isn't mentally prepared for an author to die with a work unfinished, he's definitely not ready for an author that simply doesn't give a gently caress what his readers think.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Martin has been very explicit in saying that if he dies before finishing the series, it'll remain unfinished. He's rich enough and has been in show business long enough to know the sorts of lawyers that can make that iron-clad.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
God dammit, Rachel Caine died.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I haven't heard anyone say Sanderson did any worse than Jordan was doing, is that not the consensus? I gave up around book nine when nothing loving happened.

I loving hated how he wrote the last 3 books. There’s a chapter in the last book that 140,000 words. He’s an atrociously bad writer. Also he basically shrugged off all criticism and blamed the dead guy for everything people didn’t like.

Jordan was in vietnam. He fought in a real war. He wrote battles like that. Sanderson fought in call of duty 1-3 and he writes battles like they are video games.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I read the first six books of WOT before giving up from boredom and I remember a lot of good things about them but battle scenes are not one of them.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Phobeste posted:

I read it and was annoyed by the boot camp thing. Then I got the sequel because after the bootcamp stuff it was good and somehow the sequel starts out with another god drat training thing. Why

Guess what happens in the third one?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pseudanonymous posted:

I loving hated how he wrote the last 3 books. There’s a chapter in the last book that 140,000 words.

And Robert Jordan wrote it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Has anyone ever done a good mecha novel? I know they're a highly visual sci-fi concept, but there must have been enough folks having a crack at the idea for some decent stuff to come out of it.

Ironclads adrian tchaikovsky is grunt eye view of a corporatocratic US invasion of northern europe. There are mecha obv.

the politics aren't subtle and it's only a novella but I loved it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jedit posted:

And Robert Jordan wrote it.

No, he wrote the epilogue. That big chapter was Sanderson.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Good morning, SFF goons! I recently finished writing an adult dark fantasy and I'm on the hunt for people willing to look at the first three chapters, and Hieronymous Alloy gave me the thumbs-up to :justpost: in here. I'm happy to provide a link if anyone's interested, and as a show of good faith, you can all feel free to tear apart the pitch:

quote:

Performing for angry drunks on the variety circuit was never Loren Blackwall’s dream job, but being a professional freak has its benefits. When Loren’s on stage, no one asks to see their ‘true form’; they just clap and cheer as Loren changes shape as easily as normal people change their clothes. They don’t even question the mysterious mold that bubbles out of Loren’s skin. That’s definitely a good thing, since the last people who saw that mold executed Loren’s mother for birthing a monster-child.

Touring has helped Loren escape the town that shunned them, but the past catches up with them when their sister, Iris, comes looking for help. Four men are trapped in the family mine, and the entrance is sealed with the same mold that lives inside Loren. Rescuing those men won’t be easy, so she needs the whole troupe to pull it off. Loren’s already lost a parent because of the mold; they can’t afford to lose the only people who accept them. Still, the troupe is broke and Iris is paying. Without her money, the troupe will have to disband, which would force Loren back into the hands of the people who killed their mother.

When the troupe enters the mines, they’re greeted by dripping walls, shifting doors, and the skeletons of men they came to save. The bones have more than a few troupe members ready to run, but the living mine has other plans for them. It seals them inside and pits them against each other, forcing out lies and secrets better left buried. As the mold calls out to Loren and the walls close in, Loren must make a choice: unite the others and attempt a risky escape, or stay and seek out the source of the call.

LOOK OUT FOR ME is a dark fantasy and is complete at 95,000 words. It will appeal to fans of the claustrophobic cave exploration of Caitlin Starling’s THE LUMINOUS DEAD and the locked room murder-mystery in Tamsin Muir’s GIDEON THE NINTH.

Also, just to show that I actually do read this thread, I'll chime in on Sanderson-chat to say that I've liked everything of his I've read yet never felt compelled to read a second book in a Sanderson series. With him, it feels like his strength is in the world-building and the characters are along for the ride, so having him finish out someone else's work seems like kind of a waste of his best skills. Having said that, he is by all accounts the nicest man in the business, so I wish him all the best finishing whatever series he likes.

Nae fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just found out that Ready Player Two comes out in 3 weeks

I'm amazed I haven't heard a single word about it online, I assumed there was still a huge fanbase for that poo poo.