Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
http://imgur.com/a/1Fu6N3z

Jacksonville, NC. Found this guy crawling on my fence. I'm thinking baby anole, but wondered if anyone could confirm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yeah, that's a brown anole. Invasive everywhere, I think?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Pretty much. Those things are horrible. They not only outcompete local lizards, they also actively hunt them down and eat them. They're spreading like wildfire, largely because they're also a popular imported pet in herp circles.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
That actually looks like a green anole to me. Green anoles can turn brown (and usually will if stressed, like the brown ones turn black). Greens have a flatter, longer, more angular head shape and a more even/solid coloration, with white or cream on the lips and throat. Browns that small normally have some striping even if they are males.

Juvenile green

Juvenile brown

Adult green and brown

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I hope you're right! I honestly can't tell, though the absence of striping is good evidence.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm gonna go with green as well, since I've seen about a dozen bright green ones around my house since. I love them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat. Our gargoyle gecko named Lichen died yesterday at some point. We got her in 2008 so she was only about 12, they're supposed to live to 15-20ish. No idea what was wrong, she didn't look sick, no sign of trauma, etc. Doesn't look eggbound either.

We don't handle our geckos so I didn't have like hands-on regular attention to notice a subtle issue (like lethargy or something) though. Unlike our cresties, she wouldn't take crickets as an adult, and her preferred thing to do at feeding was hold perfectly still till I went away, so there could have been something going on that I never noticed.

Just part of the deal with keeping pets, but I never get used to it. I guess that's a good thing, not to get used to it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Leperflesh posted:

drat. Our gargoyle gecko named Lichen died yesterday at some point. We got her in 2008 so she was only about 12, they're supposed to live to 15-20ish. No idea what was wrong, she didn't look sick, no sign of trauma, etc. Doesn't look eggbound either.

We don't handle our geckos so I didn't have like hands-on regular attention to notice a subtle issue (like lethargy or something) though. Unlike our cresties, she wouldn't take crickets as an adult, and her preferred thing to do at feeding was hold perfectly still till I went away, so there could have been something going on that I never noticed.

Just part of the deal with keeping pets, but I never get used to it. I guess that's a good thing, not to get used to it.

12 years ain’t bad at all, and it sounds like your husbandry was on-point. “Human years” age comparisons for animals are bullshit for a litany of reasons and senescence works at a ton of different rates in a ton of different genera but that’s arguably like a human dying in their 50s-60s. There are a ton of things that could do it. Heck, that relative stage of life is when a lot of cancers crop up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention animals hide when they are sick. Sometimes there's no signs at all. I've lost a few snakes that had no signs, just found them dead one morning. It never does get easier.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, but people are right that sometimes that kind of thing just happens. One of my dogs suddenly died overnight a few years ago from an intestinal cyst bursting that nobody knew or reasonably could have known about without giving him a human-style prophylactic enteroscopy. Health can be a very fragile and fickle thing, you very likely have absolutely nothing to blame yourself for.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, so one of my ball pythons cut herself on her underside. Looks like it came when she was climbing up and landed badly on a stick. I've tossed the stick/branch out, and washed the wound, but she is not having anything with a bandage being wrapped/adhesived on her. Ate totally fine, and I have the heat up a bit to help, but what else can I do to make sure this doesn't get infected, other than twice daily cleanings?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Had a fun day yesterday with Otachi’s tank. Our filter broke, so we bought a new one that seemed ideal for the tank.

But it is creating a massive current, and the plant we bought to spread out that current is only so effective? (It’s hard to tell if the plant or the current or both is stressing her out)

For any Axie owners, what do you use to slow down filter current? Or what kind of filters do you use?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress, so one of my ball pythons cut herself on her underside. Looks like it came when she was climbing up and landed badly on a stick. I've tossed the stick/branch out, and washed the wound, but she is not having anything with a bandage being wrapped/adhesived on her. Ate totally fine, and I have the heat up a bit to help, but what else can I do to make sure this doesn't get infected, other than twice daily cleanings?

When my ball python had a growth removed from her belly scutes I was told to switch her substrate and decor to things that wouldn't 'catch' and stick to the wound. Checked on it daily for monitoring and used a damp cotton wipe to clean it if needed. It's good that yours is eating still, that will help, from what I understand. However, since it was a surgery I know she also got an antibiotic injection, so this may be less helpful than I hoped.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FartingBedpost posted:

Had a fun day yesterday with Otachi’s tank. Our filter broke, so we bought a new one that seemed ideal for the tank.

But it is creating a massive current, and the plant we bought to spread out that current is only so effective? (It’s hard to tell if the plant or the current or both is stressing her out)

For any Axie owners, what do you use to slow down filter current? Or what kind of filters do you use?

I use sponge filters.

Axies do not like current. I taper off the sponge filters with leaning driftwood to help disperse.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

I use sponge filters.

Axies do not like current. I taper off the sponge filters with leaning driftwood to help disperse.

Yeah, I knew Axies hated current, I was just surprised at how intense the current was.

I’ll get a sponge filter today, that’ll definitely help! Thanks!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you're not averse to improvising, you could also try tying a piece of (clean and thoroughly washed) cloth in front of the pump, which will disperse the water flow. I don't know a lot of how sensitive Axolotls are to whatever contaminants and small pieces of fibre may be washed loose from that sort of thing over time, so don't do it if you see any problems coming from this. It's just an idea for a quick fix.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
One other thing I have used, is one of those outside the tank breeding boxes, and I fill it with moss balls. They act as a kind of biological filter, and since you can control how fast the air goes through, and they're not really built to be filters it tends to work out okay with a sponge filter elsewhere in the tank too.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Does anyone have experience or advice on caring for a dekay's brownsnake?

I have him in a ten gallon enclosure, with substrate gathered from the woods the last place I found one, although this particular guy is in my custody because he wouldn't stay out of the switchgear at work.

What little I can find says either 'he wants a 75F area and a 85F area' or 'if you're comfy he is', but I've made sure he has a humid side and a dry side to his enclosure.

They weren't clear on whether he'll need UV, but a lamp came with the enclosure if I should be using it.

Feed should be earthworms or snails, apparently? And they're known to accept meal worms. I believe that he did in fact eat a meal worm but it may just have gotten buried under leafs, I don't know.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Probably don't need UVB lighting for him. Undertank heater should be okay? Is he an adult/looking to hibernate/brumate soon?

I've never kept them, but looks like they are related to garter snakes, so like poo poo like slugs and earthworms? did you feed him mealworms in a bowl/dish? Looks like beetles are okay too, but I'd be leery of wild ones in case they had pesticide on them.

And thank you for saving him!

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 19, 2020

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
He was happy to have a warm box to nap in.

I presented it to him live before I thought about what I was doing, and left him to his work.

The mealworm hasn't turned up but he's out and about making faces at me.

My schedule makes shopping real tough but I'm going to hit up a bait shop for some worms. Those appear to be choice. Beetles weren't recommended but soft grubs are probably on the menu too.

E: He appears to be an adult, and what little I've read said that they may not brumate in a warm environment. I'll leave that up to him, though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

A few years ago I found a Dekay's Brown Snake that was like a little 6" shoe lace in my building at work. It was late November so I don't know how such a little guy hatched so late in Upstate NY. I setup a 10g tank and really struggled getting him to eat. I finally got him to eat little pieces of bait worms and earth worms. He was so tiny. I got him through the winter and then when the weather was getting warm enough that I was starting to think about letting him go I found him dead in the tank one morning. I was gutted. No idea what might have got him other than something on the bait worms. In retrospect maybe I caused it by not letting him hibernate? I'd kept a Cali King for a couple years when I was younger and never messed with that so I didn't think it was necessary.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It probably wasn't that. Hibernation is an adaptation to lengthy cold winters, not a bodily necessity as such. Not hibernating won't really hurt an animal in and of itself, although interrupting a hibernation early can. I don't think you did anything to cause this.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

As of this afternoon.

He's a nine inch noodle or so.

E: I don't actually know if it's a good sign that he's active. He most definitely knows I'm around, though, he streeeeeeeeeeeeetches out and makes faces at me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

ArcMage posted:

As of this afternoon.

He's a nine inch noodle or so.

E: I don't actually know if it's a good sign that he's active. He most definitely knows I'm around, though, he streeeeeeeeeeeeetches out and makes faces at me.
:3:

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
I am good huntar, dad!

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I've got a 12x12x24 exoterra. Any ideas for what to do with it? I thought about a crestie, but I know that's not big enough past the juvi stage. I used to keep loving terrariums with thumbnail dart frogs and I thought about that maybe? Anyway ideas are appreciated.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

inputfailed posted:

I am good huntar, dad!

What a good cat.

E: I think that if I don't see this guy definitely eat something I'm going to turn him loose.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 22, 2020

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dreqqus posted:

I've got a 12x12x24 exoterra. Any ideas for what to do with it? I thought about a crestie, but I know that's not big enough past the juvi stage. I used to keep loving terrariums with thumbnail dart frogs and I thought about that maybe? Anyway ideas are appreciated.

If I was ever going to get back into herps I would want to do Day Geckos. So cute.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

Dreqqus posted:

I for one would be excited to see another frog keeper running around. Those dimensions would be perfect for a tree frog! If you want to go with something cool and different, you could get into reed frogs. Starry Night reed frogs are absolutely gorgeous. You could also probably do one single Amazon Milk frog in there if you want one large display animal. Of course Whites and Red Eyes are always options, or glass frogs if you want to go super high-dollar.

If it were me, I'd do a pair of Vietnamese Mossy Frogs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Axqu posted:

If it were me, I'd do a pair of Vietnamese Mossy Frogs.
Well, they certainly earned their name. You could stand right in front of one and not realize you're not looking at a slightly frog-shaped rock. Very pretty, although I'd probably keep panicking that they've escaped.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

How's your clumsy girl doing?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All healed up, thanks! I totally forgot to post an update, but her underside is nice and clean. She was not a fan of being cleaned all the time, so I settled for checking on her and using the skin sealant my zookeeper friend recommended. I did try to keep her on papertowels in another enclosure but she was having none of that poo poo, kept flipping her ceramic water bowl over and only calmed down when back in her usual massive cage.

No branches in said cage now. Tuco, you gonna have to rub off shedding skin on the carpetted ledge in there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cowslips Warren posted:

All healed up, thanks! I totally forgot to post an update, but her underside is nice and clean. She was not a fan of being cleaned all the time, so I settled for checking on her and using the skin sealant my zookeeper friend recommended. I did try to keep her on papertowels in another enclosure but she was having none of that poo poo, kept flipping her ceramic water bowl over and only calmed down when back in her usual massive cage.

No branches in said cage now. Tuco, you gonna have to rub off shedding skin on the carpetted ledge in there.

Surgical sealant/superglue is the tits for animal injuries.

If you have a lot of animals it’s aces to keep around.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Glad to hear it. Belly injuries on snakes are a real pain to deal with.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Considering they're basically all belly.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

FartingBedpost posted:

This may be too late, but we have one of these - it's good because you can turn the output things so the flow is at the top of the water, and we have it facing out to the short side of the tank so the glass baffles the flow as well.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

FartingBedpost posted:

If it's a hang on the back you can cut the top and bottom off a 20oz or 1l plastic bottle and then cut it lengthwise. Attach one side to the top of the filter and put the other down in the tank. It'll direct the current to the sides and top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgKJjQQ8i-o

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
We tried to take in one of the brown snakes that we found late in the fall in an area that wasn't super great for a snake. We never really got it to eat well, but it did survive until spring at which point we released it in a more habitable location.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
My friend was not interested in food whatsoever so I turned him loose in the woods. At his size for a brown snake he's done three or four winters already, so I will trust him to see to himself.

To be clear, the exact woodlands from which he presumably entered my workplace originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good, little bastard hopefully won't come sneaking back!

Okay goons, help me out. I can't tell if it's because my period is coming and I always get super paranoid, but I'm worried I have snake mites. I haven't added any reptiles (or animals at all, or anything from a pet store) to the house in months, but I did notice the other night one of my balls, female mohave named Hornet, soaking herself in her water dish. She is due to shed. She was soaking last night too. And then my albino group, in their custom large cage, have been super active lately, but I was putting that down to the timer being broken and a heat emitter being left on, so the cage was too warm. They didn't all feed tonight, and their sheds were off because of the lack of humidity in the cage with the busted timer.

I haven't seen any specks in the water (just changed the dishes tonight actually) or anything on the snakes. The last time we had them was years ago, and our new arrival almost got out of quarantine when we saw tiny black specks on him. Treated everything with food grade diatom earth and alcohol-wiped everything down, but with Covid I doubt I can get all the supplies so easily again.

Am I paranoid? I will check the water dish Hornet was in (still is in) for any specks. Checked over my white ball, and albinos, no signs of specks, but I know you don't always see them.