Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cat Machine posted:

???? Where was this stated? We haven’t even had confirmation that Kaido has eaten a devil fruit.

Occam's razor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The data books and magazines have made a specific point of not mentioning that Kaido has a devil fruit (his Vivre Card entry doesn’t even have a “devil fruit” field), which leads me to believe there’s something else going on with him.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

invoking paulie's law

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When will we finally get his hybrid form

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Kaido's dragon form is actually just a big puppet which he projects his haki into. He's gotten really skilled at ventriloquism, but the most impressive thing is how he manages to hide it when not in use (and vice versa).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cat Machine posted:

The data books and magazines have made a specific point of not mentioning that Kaido has a devil fruit (his Vivre Card entry doesn’t even have a “devil fruit” field), which leads me to believe there’s something else going on with him.

yeah, this: it's been way too long for them to purposefully obscure what his devil fruit is or if he even has a devil fruit for it to be what it seems

my long-held assumption was that kaido is a dragon that ate a human fruit, but I'm not sure if I believe that anymore because of yamato existing and uncomfortable subsequent questions about zoan fruits that I don't really want to ask myself

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I was pretty much certain that Kaido was just a dragon that ate the Human Human Fruit: Model Oni up until considering Yamato, which. Um. Yeah.

Now I’m like 50% sure he’s a dragon.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
wonder if yamato is big mom's kid or do we know

gonna lol if oda pulls a tearjerk backstory based on yamatos mom for kaido's backstory

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Weren’t there other fruits that took ages to confirm or no?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like kid’s?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It could very well be a twist of some kind, like "dragon who ate the human fruit" has been popular but it could even be as simple as "there are multiple models for the dragon dragon fruit and they want to keep that secret".

But in either case a human who turns into an animal or vice-versa has exactly one precedent in OP so it's silly to be like "wellll we don't know that he even has a devil fruit" because given the groundwork it's a 90% chance that he's just a guy who ate the dragon fruit and a 99% chance that even if there's a twist it still involves a devil fruit of one form or another

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Guy A. Person posted:

It could very well be a twist of some kind, like "dragon who ate the human fruit" has been popular but it could even be as simple as "there are multiple models for the dragon dragon fruit and they want to keep that secret".

But in either case a human who turns into an animal or vice-versa has exactly one precedent in OP so it's silly to be like "wellll we don't know that he even has a devil fruit" because given the groundwork it's a 90% chance that he's just a guy who ate the dragon fruit and a 99% chance that even if there's a twist it still involves a devil fruit of one form or another

we already know there are multiple models of the dragon fruit since all the dinosaurs are dragons in one piece lol

crackpot theory: the celestial dragons were LITERALLY dragons and they could turn into humans/big oni guys. kaido is a descendant of them or has that fruit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

EmmyOk posted:

Like kid’s?

Doflamingo.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

euphemism posted:

crackpot theory: the celestial dragons were LITERALLY dragons

I've considered this, since they are apparently fascinated with dragons and Vegapunk was doing dragon-based research for them and created Momo's fruit.
Did someone curse a race of evil dragons with Form of Schlub?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah yeds though I think his was a bit vaguer as we mainly saw puppetry right? Hard to see a similar twist on K man

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

EmmyOk posted:

Ah yeds though I think his was a bit vaguer as we mainly saw puppetry right? Hard to see a similar twist on K man

I mean, really none of the Supernovas we met on Sabaody had their powers expressly called out as Devil Fruits until much later (Urouge was still under debate until the Vivre Card confirmed that he has a fruit.)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it took 400 chapters to find out drake wasn't a t rex, v disappointing revelation too

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Please support poor Allosaurus, forever living in the shadow of T-Rex.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the allosaurus can support my dang boot, with its second place face !!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Pretty sure he always had three fingers from the first time he transformed so he wasn't a rex.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The allosaurus loving owns

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Legit question: If Kaido's hobby is trying to kill himself, why doesn't he just jump into the ocean. If he's a devil fruit user he'd just sink and drown right? Or am I missing something?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i doubt he wants to die a slow boring death like that. he could chain himself up with seastone and starve himself to death just as easily. its probably a misinterpretation on our part that he wants to kill himself and more that he just wants to test the limits of his immortality

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Bleck posted:

yeah, this: it's been way too long for them to purposefully obscure what his devil fruit is or if he even has a devil fruit for it to be what it seems

my long-held assumption was that kaido is a dragon that ate a human fruit, but I'm not sure if I believe that anymore because of yamato existing and uncomfortable subsequent questions about zoan fruits that I don't really want to ask myself

The secret origin of Minks revealed!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Legit question: If Kaido's hobby is trying to kill himself, why doesn't he just jump into the ocean. If he's a devil fruit user he'd just sink and drown right? Or am I missing something?

I think this chapter, while translations weren't perfect, elucidated exactly why Kaido doesn't just do that. He wants a glorious death that will cement his place in history across the entire world, exactly as Roger and Whitebeard did.

This further contextualizes what he said when he first heard of Whitebeard's death, "So you've finally gone and done it" or something like that. At first, we thought that it was just he finally gone and died just as Kaido wanted to. But now it's evident that he finally went and cemented his death for the entire world to witness and behold. This would explain why he was stockpiling tons of smiles to start a gigantic world war, theoretically in attempt to either conquer everything or die in a blaze of glory.

Admittedly, this doesn't exactly explain why Kaido's introduction had him jumping off a sky island in an attempted suicide, but I guess that's also a pretty metal way of going too so whatever.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

I mean, really none of the Supernovas we met on Sabaody had their powers expressly called out as Devil Fruits until much later (Urouge was still under debate until the Vivre Card confirmed that he has a fruit.)

You would think Apoo's fruit would have been revealed when Killer was directly explaining it, but Oda doesn't seem like he enjoys dropping fruit names unless he's explicitly ready to do so. Not sure why that's the case.

We may never get names for the Impel Down Jailer Beasts Devil Fruits for example.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Please forgive my ignorance: Didn't Chopper eat the Human Human fruit?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

XkyRauh posted:

He did, but Zoan fruits can come in different "models".

For example, Sengoku ate the human human fruit model Buddha

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

XkyRauh posted:

he ate A human human fruit. there are others including the one the former fleet admiral guy ate that was model buddha or whatever

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
you, a pea brain: waiting impatiently for the revelations inherent to laugh tale, the void century, the will of d, the one piece itself
me, a transdimensional omniscience: waiting impatiently for the retail release of the full-color illustrated encyclopedia of devil fruits

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think that theory is human human model oni

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
With the reveal of Yamato + the whole Momo thing, I'm now practically certain it's a Dragon Dragon Fruit Model: That's not a pokemon, that's a fuckin, that's a chinese myth dragon

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
something funky is going on with the horns and onigashima and kaido and yamato and oars and i want some dang answers though!!

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Black Maria has the same horns too and she’s big as hell!!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tbp posted:

something funky is going on with the horns and onigashima and kaido and yamato and oars and i want some dang answers though!!
A melting pot of a good theory I read online + my own thoughts is that Ongashima is the skull of the legendary Oars the Continent Puller, who created Wano as some kind of last bastion for the ancient race who the Word Government are trying to suppress. The people of Wano are just too tightly tied to the Void Century (the poneglyphs and their language, seastone, etc.) for it to be a coincide. Wano is made up of islands that have all four seasons and also has a ton of “natural” defences like a brutal sea and a huge waterfall) - it feels like something that could be built by a giant who was huge enough to pull continents. Plus, we still don’t know why Oars Junior was in Wano that one time...

e: also remember the island isn’t actually called Onigashima... The Beast Pirates gave it that name. INTERESTING

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

and the guy in blackbeard's crew

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Yamato has kaido's horns which means that they're a genetic trait and therefore not given via a fruit

Or maybe it's just visual shorthand to show yamato's lineage but that's no fun

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Have any of you ever met a sad drunk? Kaido was just trying to end the sadness, and then got undrunk when he fell on Kidd etc.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I thought he only jumped to help Apoo beat up Kidd and Hawkins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

RuBisCO posted:

I think this chapter, while translations weren't perfect, elucidated exactly why Kaido doesn't just do that. He wants a glorious death that will cement his place in history across the entire world, exactly as Roger and Whitebeard did.

This further contextualizes what he said when he first heard of Whitebeard's death, "So you've finally gone and done it" or something like that. At first, we thought that it was just he finally gone and died just as Kaido wanted to. But now it's evident that he finally went and cemented his death for the entire world to witness and behold. This would explain why he was stockpiling tons of smiles to start a gigantic world war, theoretically in attempt to either conquer everything or die in a blaze of glory.

Admittedly, this doesn't exactly explain why Kaido's introduction had him jumping off a sky island in an attempted suicide, but I guess that's also a pretty metal way of going too so whatever.

This is great info,thank you!