Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It was just the first example that came to mind, the whole "he wouldn't stay down" would have fit too. The actor does a fantastic job of being simple without being stupid either way, and totes reminds me of people in uniform I've encountered (though sadly none were as competent as he).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Guest2553 posted:

It was just the first example that came to mind, the whole "he wouldn't stay down" would have fit too. The actor does a fantastic job of being simple without being stupid either way, and totes reminds me of people in uniform I've encountered (though sadly none were as competent as he).

Amos is a mechanic. Violence is just another tool in his tool box.

Sometimes you need a wrench to fix a problem. Sometimes you need a can of chicken. Both are problems that can be fixed with the proper application of tools.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Amos is a pretty realistic portrayal of someone with childhood environment-caused antisocial personality disorder other than the fact he's a bit too loyal to the rest of the main cast.

I love that one bit with the mercenary where they're about to end up on opposite factions within the camp and he's just like "okay but are we still loving?"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Can someone post that DO NOT DO THIS image from a few years back showing that someone had attached a couple of Claymores to the front bumper of their HMMWV as an improvised antipersonnel weapon? Google is failing me hard.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Can someone post that DO NOT DO THIS image from a few years back showing that someone had attached a couple of Claymores to the front bumper of their HMMWV as an improvised antipersonnel weapon? Google is failing me hard.

I don't have that. But I do have this picture of an official version that was deployed in Vietnam.

https://imgur.com/a/pF8yc4M

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

isn’t that the basis of reactive armor?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

South Africa still mounts them on vehicles.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

isn’t that the basis of reactive armor?

This was developed for dealing with jungle ambushes. Apparently it wasn't very popular.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'd read a story from a guy who'd served either with Special Forces or SEALs during Vietnam (can't recall which) talking about how they welded steel plates onto their trucks and mounted mini claymores on the outside for ambushes. Word got around to regular units who then tried it, except they didn't have the mini claymores.

Turns out that's an important distinction.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

McNally posted:

I'd read a story from a guy who'd served either with Special Forces or SEALs during Vietnam (can't recall which) talking about how they welded steel plates onto their trucks and mounted mini claymores on the outside for ambushes. Word got around to regular units who then tried it, except they didn't have the mini claymores.

Turns out that's an important distinction.

:gonk:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Phanatic posted:

I remember seeing that one next to the .50 cal gunner's hamburger hand on boards all over the place on at least one deployment. I have not been able to find the humvee one but i'm pretty sure it would turn the engine into an EFP aimed at the driver and a-driver.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Out of curiosity, arent claymores designed to force the explosion to the front(away from vehicle)? Whats the horrible end result of doing it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't just a single claymore work better than chaining a bunch together? Seems like you gotta have some serious faith in how tough your ride is if you are ok with detonating one of them, much less like a half dozen.

^^^I'm not an explosives dude at all, but there's a LOT of explosive energy directed backwards. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. One might just ruin the door or crack the radiator or something. 6 might just tip the vehicle over, depending on where they are placed, or shear the motor mounts and force the engine into the comparatively extremely squishy driver and passenger.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 8, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Defenestrategy posted:

Out of curiosity, arent claymores designed to force the explosion to the front(away from vehicle)? Whats the horrible end result of doing it?

A wrecked vehicle and casualties. A pound and a half of C4 isn’t something you want to be close behind when it goes off even if it’s shaped to direct force to the front.

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

A wrecked vehicle and casualties. A pound and a half of C4 isn’t something you want to be close behind when it goes off even if it’s shaped to direct force to the front.

Echoing this, you can punch through steel using a dime-sized amount of C4. A claymore is about the size of a dinner plate at grandma’s on Thanksgiving if it were a rectangle and nearly full of C4.

I was helping clear a heavy/mobile weapons range stacked with burned out wrecks and one of the SF guys wanted to test the burn rate in their latest batch of det cord, so we put a claymore and a handful of C4 under one of the wrecks, then cranked it off. Mind you, this wreck had been burned, shot with RPGs and hundreds of 30 and 50 cal rounds, and dozens of 40mm grenades, so it was mostly a frame, and engine that had various holes in it, and some amount of burned panels. Not much to blow up against and shove around, but we still lifted the wreck about twenty feet in the air and vaporized whatever wasn’t solid steel.

Our goal had been to roll the thing over so we could get at it with the forklift; instead it landed inches from where it started but so much lighter and broken in the right places that we could actually move it, so mission failed successfully.

Definitely avoid being close to explosives unless you’re trained, and from what the explosives guys tell me, stay away from SF explosives guys, too. Anybody that says ‘P’ is for plenty is going to injure themselves or you, even if it’s just unnecessary hearing loss and concussions.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I hosed around with explosives a lot before attending a munitions safety class. Not a lot afterwards :v:

The EOD guys are 100% nuts.

Did get tinnitus though, so that's nice.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Of the small amount of explosives training we got I remember enough to know for a fact that I don't remember enough.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I used to do UNDEX testing for NAVSEA. Most of our shots were equipment-level tests at a quarry down in Lynchburg VA, there we were limited to 60 lbs.

Out in the open ocean we could go a bit bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qiZK_ZIjB4

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Was deployed with SF dudes who taught me the logic and math of a ring main. We built one to destroy batteries. We were in knee deep mud when my mentor pulled the fuses and released the smoke. He looked at me and said RUN!! I ran, with pants full of poo poo, it was a big explosion.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
When dealing with military anything that goes bang, I remember 3 simple words: "lowest bidder contract"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

not caring here posted:

When dealing with military anything that goes bang, I remember 3 simple words: "lowest bidder contract"

My introduction to grenades was "These grenades, which were made by the lowest bidder, are supposed to have a 3 to 5 second fuse."

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, whenever I saw someone cooking off a grenade I just went away. gently caress that.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

not caring here posted:

Yeah, whenever I saw someone cooking off a grenade I just went away. gently caress that.

Thats a thing you actually saw?? What a fuckin terrible idea.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV727_YGAkQ

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

not caring here posted:

too much call of duty is dangerous to the health of everyone around you

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

wait you saw this happen multiple times?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The 90s were a magical time

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Grenade range day with scouts is terrifying.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Anything grenade-related is terrifying to me

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
The 90s and scouts were terrifying

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They keep trying to see you popcorn?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CainFortea posted:

My introduction to grenades was "These grenades, which were made by the lowest bidder, are supposed to have a 3 to 5 second fuse."

Shiit even Clancy wrote about how you never knew how long the fuses were gonna go for. Then he mentioned clark refusing all his own grenades so he would know how long he could cook them off for so...yeah.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

A friend of mine was in UNIFIL in Lebanon during Gulf 1, and he told me they found a case of Hezbollah hand grenades (scared off smugglers who left their goods I think it was).
They needed to get rid of them, but Israel was known to insert a few booby-trapped grenades into Hezbollah supply chains with instant fuses, so they didn't want to just toss them one by one.
They ended up raiding chow hall for large drinking glasses, stuffed a grenade in each glass so the lever was inside the glass, pulled the pins and threw the glasses off a cliff so the lever wasn't freed untill the glass broke.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Were they right? Could they tell if any of the grenades had instant fuses?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A way to make zero delay grenade fuses for American grenades used to be switch the fuse assembly from a smoke to a frag. There was at least one SEAL killed in VN by getting a zero delay and standard mixed up in his kit.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Making those interchangeable both ways sounds like a very poor engineering choice.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MRC48B posted:

Making those interchangeable both ways sounds like a very poor engineering choice.

Somehow, this decision was made as a money saving gesture, but the fuses still cost seventeen thousand dollars each

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Caconym posted:

A friend of mine was in UNIFIL in Lebanon during Gulf 1, and he told me they found a case of Hezbollah hand grenades (scared off smugglers who left their goods I think it was).
They needed to get rid of them, but Israel was known to insert a few booby-trapped grenades into Hezbollah supply chains with instant fuses, so they didn't want to just toss them one by one.
They ended up raiding chow hall for large drinking glasses, stuffed a grenade in each glass so the lever was inside the glass, pulled the pins and threw the glasses off a cliff so the lever wasn't freed untill the glass broke.

My brother went to UNIFIL in 2019 with the Finnish Army, and holy poo poo, this still happens. They do controlled demolition for the captured grenades, and no chow hall mugs (allegedly) anymore, at least. And apparently the chow hall mug demo work is a popular trope.

They encountered couple stories of hezbollah guys having the grenade blow up in their hand, and it was suspected in one episode where a suspected hezb blew up on a would-be ambush, apparently.

Mostly it was pretty calm, it’s a semi-peaceful area nowadays. He was at UN FOB 9-1. Apparently most locations and numbers are the same for decades.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Wibla posted:

I hosed around with explosives a lot before attending a munitions safety class. Not a lot afterwards :v:

The EOD guys are 100% nuts.

Did get tinnitus though, so that's nice.

I know that a lot of EOD guys died actually disposing bombs and poo poo, but all the EOD guys that I knew personally that died did so in the stupidest ways imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

MRC48B posted:

Zero delay fuses let you use them in boobytraps / tripwires. You should probably make it so it's obvious what it is at first glance even after installation tho so there's no surprises