Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SG Bamboo posted:

I was catching up with Hi5ame's twitter, and

https://twitter.com/GolazoDan/status/1322746162995220480

Just look at these babyfaced young men. It's a shame Gulak is trapped in the WWE, I'd love to see this match run back a decade later.
I saw Soldier and Fire Ant against Momo No Seishun live and it was a banger. Momo fought Johnny Gargano/Chuck Taylor the night before too, and was another banger. Asuka also kicked the poo poo out of Billie Kay and fought in the main event against Sara Del Rey, that same weekend

CHIKARA used to be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's weird reading Gulak's Wikipedia entry, because there's no mention of him working for Chikara outside of the list of titles he won. At least OC's says right at the top that he used to be Fire Ant

RealFoxy posted:

CHIKARA used to be good

Yeah, High Noon was so great and then Ashes happened :smith:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

I was catching up with Hi5ame's twitter, and

https://twitter.com/GolazoDan/status/1322746162995220480

Just look at these babyfaced young men. It's a shame Gulak is trapped in the WWE, I'd love to see this match run back a decade later.

uh i've been up for 10 minutes, but that's green/tracy williams tagging with fire/oc and not solider/gulak, right? tho he might be trapped in roh...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Thauros posted:

uh i've been up for 10 minutes, but that's green/tracy williams tagging with fire/oc and not solider/gulak, right? tho he might be trapped in roh...

Yes.

Apparently Tracy has been good in the Pure tournament.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

forkboy84 posted:

Yes.

Apparently Tracy has been good in the Pure tournament.
Tracy/Green Ant was a natural at submission based wrestling, to the point where I thought he he could've been Danielson or O'Riley levels and had great matches against people much bigger than he was. Was a phenomenal rookie but since CHIKARA fell out of favor I haven't heard a whole lot about him.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Tracy had some fantastic matches in AIW. He had one with Michael Elgin which blew my mind.

I haven't watched any recent NOAH. Are there any free matches on youtube I can watch to get an idea of what it's like now?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Eddie Kingston teamed with Tadasuke on the same show, which meant that somewhere out there is footage of Eddie vs Shigehiro Irie.

They had a singles match a few years ago in AIW, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYGU8wg4qY

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dramatic DDT has a preview for Tuesday's Ultimate Party show, worth a read: https://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/2020/11/01/ddt-ultimate-party-2020-preview/

mariooncrack posted:

Tracy had some fantastic matches in AIW. He had one with Michael Elgin which blew my mind.

I haven't watched any recent NOAH. Are there any free matches on youtube I can watch to get an idea of what it's like now?

Let me jump onto my PC To answer this as phone posting sucks for massive amounts of links

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

The short answer is yes, there's lots of NOAH freely available.

The long answer? The long answer is me recommending like a dozen matches to you from the past 2 years of me loving contemporary NOAH. I could go back further if you want but for now I'll stick to the fairly modern stuff that has at least some relevancy to where NOAH is in its booking today.

Let's start from the start of 2018 with a GHC Heavyweight Title match between defending champion Kaito Kiyomiya vs Kenoh. Kaito is 2 years into his career at this point & is just 21 and already is a month into his first reign with the title made face by Misawa, Kobashi, Akiyama, & Marufuji, his first singles victory came just 3 months into his career but the only other singles win of 2016 was against a TAKA Michinoku trainee who nobody remembers & 2017 is much the same. However on the first NOAH Korakuen of 2018 he gets a shot at Kenoh for the GHC Heavyweight Title which is kind of undeserved but they go 22 minutes & beat the bejesus out of each other & Kenoh gets the win by KO but suddenly everyone is taking note of this kid. The year is a huge turning point, he wins the Global Tag League with Go Shiozaki, & they go on to have a brief GHC Heavyweight Tag Title run & then near the end of the year NOAH runs the Global League, it's G1 equivalent & Kaito wins his block, & then he beats Nakajima in the final (though Nak had to win a A Block decider against Kenoh & Kohei Sato) which earns him a shot at Takashi Sugiura, the vet who had been carrying NOAH on his back, & the youngster wins. 2 weeks later he has has his first defence Kenoh. https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV11t41187bL

Next up, finals of the 2019 Global Tag League between reigning champs AXIZ, featuring Katsuhiko Nakajima & Go Shiozaki, probably the best tag team I've seen in the last 2 years, against KAZMA Sakamoto & Takashi Sugiura. You'll need to skip to 82:00 in the video as it's the full show: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av52196817/

Kaito Kiyomiya vs Takashi Sugiura for the GHC HW title from 9/6/19

AXIZ vs Sakamoto & Sugiura, this time for the GHC HW Tag Titles & every bit as great as their previous match

Masaaki Mochizuki vs Kenoh from N1 2019 Night 7

Kenoh vs Katsuhiko Nakajima from N1 2019 Night11

AXIZ vs Kongo (Masa Kitamiya & Yoshiki Inamura) from 2/11/19

Kaito Kiyomiya vs Go Shiozaki for the GHC HW Title from 4/1/20

AXIZ vs Naomichi Marufuji & Masaaki Mochizuki for the GHC HW Tag Titles from 5/1/20

Go Shiozaki vs Kazuyuki Fujita in one of the most notorious (& great) matches of this year from 29/3/20

Takashi Sugiura vs Katsuhiko Nakajima for the GHC National Title, 9/5/20 (skip to 82:30)

Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Kenoh for the GHC National Title, 4/8/20

Go Shiozaki vs Kenoh in my personal match of 2020, 10/8/20

That's a bakers dozen & I could still go on, I've not even touched on a single match from this year's fantastic N1 (especially the final which rules), or any of the weird & fun Junior division.

NOAH is my favourite company to watch in the world right now & between DDT, NOAH & TJPW I think Wrestle Universe is maybe the most vital $10 subscription for a wrestling fan.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 1, 2020

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
wrote a column about how Kaito Ishida and Keisuke Okuda managed to evolve with the the problems 2020 presented and have the feud of the year going into their Brave Gate title match tomorrow.

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2020/11/02/kaito-ishida-and-keisuke-okudas-winding-road/

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Gate of Destiny was a very good show. Brave Gate between Ishida and Okuda was match of the night and one of my favorites from the entire year. This actually felt like a grudge match where both guys hated each other as they just kicked the piss out of each other. There was some wonkiness in some of the finishes and booking that feels like a result of having so many shows back-loaded because of Covid with Korakuen on Thursday, Kobe World in two weeks, and Final Gate a month after that, mainly in the YAMATO/KAI match, which felt like more of a story beat to something down the road later than a match meant to blow off the feud. Still, good show, cool ending with Shun returning and a big push for Kibune already.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1324093435834413064?s=20

Pretty sure that if Shiozaki doesn't get a nice break after losing to Nak he's going to need a bit of time off before he transforms into The Yetay. Every time I see him there's more & more tape on him.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1324362807429812225?s=09

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm gonna pop huge when Katsu finally joins in on the Kongoh sentai pose

e: edit to avoid double posting. Inamura looks like a poo poo now he's betrayed his buddies, not a fan of his new/old look

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 5, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

I'm gonna pop huge when Katsu finally joins in on the Kongoh sentai pose

He will only do this when he has kicked Kenoh out though

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

He will only do this when he has kicked Kenoh out though

Even if it's only once to gently caress with Kenoh i'll still love it, I enjoy Katsu goofing it up

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/suwama_H2/status/1324691465570717697?s=19

Suwama and Tsukasa Fujimoto are teasing a Violent Giants vs. Best Friends match on Twitter in response to Tsukka declaring Best Friends the best tag team in the world and the Reiwa LCO.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

7/1/2020, Saturday

12:30pm JST/2:30pm AEDT/3:30am GMT/10:30pm EST/7:30pm PST

Stardom Goddess of Stardom Tag League
Shinkiba 1st RING, Tokyo
Hanan vs Rina
Ruaka vs Saya Iida vs Starlight Kid
Stars (Mayu Iwatani, Tam Nakano & Mina Shirakawa) vs Queen's Quest (Momo Watanabe, AZM & Hina)
Tag League: Color Me Pop (Riho & Gokigen Death) vs AphroditE (Utami Hayashishita & Saya Kamitani)
Tag League: Devil Duo (Natsuko Tora & Saki Kashima) vs Grab The Top (Syuri & Himeka)
Tag League: Crazy Bloom (Giulia & Maika) vs Black Widow (Bea Priestley & Konami)
Show eventually uploaded to Stardom World

3pm JST/5pm AEDT/6am GMT/1am EST/10pm PST

Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestle Princess
Tokyo Dome City Hall, Tokyo
Suzume & Sena Shiori Vs Moka Miyamoto & Mei Suruga
Marika Kobashi & Haruna Neko Vs Pom Harajuku & Mahiro Kiryu
International Princess Title Tournament – Semi Final: Hikari Noa Vs Mirai Maiumi
International Princess Title Tournament – Semi Final: Shoko Nakajima Vs Yuki Kamifuku
Raku Vs Yuna Manase
Hyper Misao Vs Saki Akai
Miyu Yamashita & Aja Kong Vs Maki Itoh & Sareee
International Princess Title Tournament – Final
Princess Tag Team Titles: Rika Tatsumi & Miu Watanabe(c) Vs Nodoka Tenma & Yuki Aino
Princess Of Princess Title: Yuka Sakazaki(c) Vs Mizuki
Live on Wrestle Universe

5pm JST/7pm AEDT/8am GMT/3am EST/12am PST

New Japan Power Struggle
EDION Arena, Osaka
Provisional KOPW2020: Toru Yano(c) vs Zack Sabre Jr
NEVER Openweight Title: Minoru Suzuki(c) vs Shingo Takagi
Kazuchika Okada vs Great O-Khan
IWGP US Title Briefcase: KENTA(h) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
IWGP HW & IC Briefacse: Kota Ibushi(h) vs Jay White
IWGP Heavyweight & Intercontinental Titles: Tetsuya Naito(c) vs EVIL
Live on NJPW World

6pm JST/8pm AEDT/9am GMT/4am EST/1am PST

Dragon Gate Gate of Evolution
KBS Hall, Kyoto
Ryo Saito, Boku R Shimizu & Punch Tominaga vs Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi & Yasushi Kanda
Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs Kazma Sakamoto
Ben-K & Kota Minoura vs Ultimo Dragon & Madoka Kikuta
YAMATO, Jason Lee, Keisuke Okuda & Dragon Dia vs BxB Hulk, KAI, Kaito Ishida & Dia Inferno
Kzy & U-T vs Masato Yoshino & Shuji Kondo
Naruki Doi, Dragon Kid & Kagetora vs Eita, Takashi Yoshida & SB KENTo
Live on DG Network

Also shows from Ice Ribbon & Wave

8/11/2020, Sunday

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/2:30am GMT/9:30pm EST/6:30pm PST

NOAH Premium Prelude
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Kinya Okada vs Yasutaka Yano
Kongo (Haoh, Nioh & Tadasuke) vs Muhammad Yone, Shuhei Taniguchi & Seiya Morohashi
Kongo (Masa Kitamiya & Manabu Soya) vs Yoshiki Inamura & Daiki Inaba
Atsushi Kotoge & Junta Miyawaki vs Stiner (HAYATA & Yoshinari Ogawa)
Sugiura-gun (Takashi Sugiura, Kazushi Sakuraba, Kendo Kashin & NOSAWA Rongai) vs Naomichi Marufuji & Full Throttle (Hajime Ohara, YO-HEY & Seiki Yoshioka)
GHC Junior Heavyweight Title: Kotaro Suzuki(c) vs Daisuke Harada
Kongo (Kenoh & Katsuhiko Nakajima) vs Go Shiozaki & Kaito Kiyomiya
Live on ABEMA TV

1pm JST/3pm AEDT/4am GMT/11pm EST/8pm PST

Stardom Goddess of Stardom Tag League Finals
Edion Arena, Osaka
Tag League: wing☆gori (Saya Iida & Hanan) vs Color Me Pop (Riho & Gokigen Death)
Tag League: Black Widows (Bea Priestley & Konami) vs Devil Duo (Natsuko Tora & Saki Kashima)
Tag League: AphroditE (Saya Kamitani & Utami Hayashishita) vs Dream☆H (Mina Shirakawa & Tam Nakano)
Tag League: MK☆Sister'S (Mayu Iwatani & Starlight Kid) vs MOMOAZ (Momo Watanabe & AZM)
Tag League: Crazy Bloom (Giulia & Maika) vs Grab The Top (Himeka & Syuri)
Tag League Final
Show eventually uploaded to Stardom World

7pm JST/9pm AEDT/10am GMT/5am EST/2am PST

DDT TV Show #11
DDT TV Show Studio
ALL OUT (Konosuke Takeshita & Shunma Katsumata) vs HARASHIMA & Keigo Nakamura
Danshoku Dieno vs Yukio Naya
DAMNATION (Tetsuya Endo, Daisuke Sasaki, Soma Takao & Mad Paulie) vs Junretsu (Jun Akiyama, Makoto Oishi, Mizuki Watase & Hideki Okatani)
DDT Universal Title: Yuki Ueno(c) vs MAO
O-40 Title: Gorgeous Matsuno(c) vs Toru Owashi
Live on Wrestle Universe

Also shows from Sendai Girls, Big Japan, Oz Academy & a 666/Ice Ribbon double header

10/11/2020, Tuesday

6:45pm JST/8:45pm AEDT/9:45am GMT/4:45am EST/1:45am PST

Freedoms Go For It!
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Masamune & Alejandro vs Kengo & Yuya Susumu
Minoru Fujita vs Rina Yamashita
UWA World Junior Heavyweight Title: Kamui(c) vs Dragon Libre
King of Freedom Tag Team Title: Mammoth Sasaki & Violento Jack(c) vs GENTARO & Tatsuhito Takaiwa
Toru Sugiura, Takashi Sasaki & Tomoya Hirata vs Jun Kasai, Kenji Fukimoto & X
King of Freedom World Title #1 Contender: Masashi Takeda vs Daisuke Masaoka
Probably uploaded to NicoNico

Also show from Basara

11/11/2020, Wednesday

Shows from Just Tap Out, Marvelous & Gatoh Move

12/11/2020, Thursday

7pm JST/9pm AEDT/10am GMT/5am EST/2am PST

DDT Damnation Illegal Assembly Returns
Shinuku FACE
Hiroshi Yamato vs Amigo Suzuki
Daisuke Sasaki vs Brahamn Shu & Brahman Kei
Daisuke Sasaki & Shuji Ishikawa vs Yuya Miyamoto & Daisuke Sekimoto
Other Matches TBA
Not on the Wrestle Universe schedule so I dunno what's happening here

Also a 2AW/BJW show

13/11/2020, Friday

Shows from Big Japan & Gatoh Move

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ok, the post-match stuff in Eita Kzy loving ruled. Did feel like Kzy's worst Dream Gate challenge sadly but still a fine wrestling match

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

8/11/2020, Sunday

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/2:30am GMT/9:30pm EST/6:30pm PST

NOAH Premium Prelude
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Kinya Okada vs Yasutaka Yano
Kongo (Haoh, Nioh & Tadasuke) vs Muhammad Yone, Shuhei Taniguchi & Seiya Morohashi
Kongo (Masa Kitamiya & Manabu Soya) vs Yoshiki Inamura & Daiki Inaba
Atsushi Kotoge & Junta Miyawaki vs Stiner (HAYATA & Yoshinari Ogawa)
Sugiura-gun (Takashi Sugiura, Kazushi Sakuraba, Kendo Kashin & NOSAWA Rongai) vs Naomichi Marufuji & Full Throttle (Hajime Ohara, YO-HEY & Seiki Yoshioka)
GHC Junior Heavyweight Title: Kotaro Suzuki(c) vs Daisuke Harada
Kongo (Kenoh & Katsuhiko Nakajima) vs Go Shiozaki & Kaito Kiyomiya
Live on ABEMA TV

Pretty sure 2:30am is the earliest I've woken up to watch wrestling but hey, guess that's what I'm doing so I can watch that title match because it'll be a solid ***¾-**** type of match. Meanwhile if you're in the US it's a perfect time, nice Saturday night funtime. (I have no idea if it clashes with Full Gear)

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

forkboy84 posted:

Pretty sure 2:30am is the earliest I've woken up to watch wrestling but hey, guess that's what I'm doing so I can watch that title match because it'll be a solid ***¾-**** type of match. Meanwhile if you're in the US it's a perfect time, nice Saturday night funtime. (I have no idea if it clashes with Full Gear)

it starts just after full gear does sadly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

it starts just after full gear does sadly.

Ah well, sucks that AEW's buyrate will take a huge hit then, but their fault for going up against a promotion this hot.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

forkboy84 posted:

Ah well, sucks that AEW's buyrate will take a huge hit then, but their fault for going up against a promotion this hot.

:sickos:

will there be a vod on abemba? Idk how that works for NOAH.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Usually yes, things are up for a week on Abema before getting uploaded to Wrestle Universe. But Abema breaks the show down into 10 minute chunks which is kind of awful.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Inaba giving a German to Soya only for the big yin to get back up and murder Inaba with a lariat.

Also a great exchange between Inamura and his former tag partner Kitamiya, your requisite beefy boys slapping the crap out of each other.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1325280121838850051?s=19

Best event poster

NOAH also announce they will be running head to head against Wrestle Kingdom again. Seeing as their 4/1 show this year was one of my top shows of this year, cool

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1325291166233923584?s=19

Missed the finish if this because my bowels wouldn't wait but coming back to see a postmatch of loads of juniors in the ring beating each other up while Tadasuke casually steals the title belt and walks off without being seen rules.

Division is such messy fun.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Wrestle Princess accessible to someone who hasn't seen a lick of TJPW?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

TJPW is mostly character based rather than storyline orientated. So you should be alright.

The only match that really relies on previous knowledge and Japanese is Hyper Misao vs. Saki Aki

but most of it is covered in this legendary video that convinced me that TJPW was worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0FY2UHIhWc

the live translation thread should be useful as well

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1325366366203867136

edit:
There's an alright preview video from the same guy above, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s9DkB2GhVE

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 8, 2020

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Schneider Heim posted:

honestly all you need is ddt eng update open for the saki akai vs hyper misao match and you need to know that mizuki and yuka are best friends.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1326385146925379584

:neckbeard:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yuji Hino is selling noise makers today. I wonder why nobody else is doing that

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1326465143505522688

it is good news

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dVBJmHRJPE
Masa showing up in ChocoPro as well

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nov 13 2020 Wrestling Observer Newsletter posted:

DDT President Sanshiro Takagi told Inside the Ropes that he’d like to work with AEW. This is the Japanese promotion that Omega was scheduled to work a number of big shows for this year until the pandemic hit, and was the home promotion for Michael Nakazawa, and for Omega until he went to New Japan. “From DDT, I would like to see Konosuke Takeshita, Tetsuya Endo, Yuki Ueno, and Kazusada Higuchi wrestle in AEW. Jun Akiyama might also be an interesting choice, considering the fact that he was originally supposed to guest-coach at WWE. As for Yuki Ueno, we were planning to have him make his U.S. debut in April on WrestleMania weekend, and though that got cancelled with COVID-19, he has been proving that we made the right decision by showing tremendous growth in the last few months. In general, we are very open to sending over any good talent, if there is the capacity and demand for them on AEW’s side.” There is definitely interest among some in management in using Akiyama if the world opens up. In regards to that, the DDT Heavymetal weight title, which is their joke 24/7 belt, has been changing hands backstage at AEW tapings. Joey Janela brought it to Jacksonville and it has gone to Jungle Boy, Marko Stung and now Britt Baker

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

A DDT partnership always seemed to make much more sense to me than the oft-talked about NJPW AEW fantasy. The upside is far higher for DDT who don't regularly run US tours. Meanwhile AEW gets to use guys like Endo & Takeshita who are no less talented than the sort of New Japan names people always crave for. TBH, getting to see Nautilus against Ortiz & Santana would be something I'd set my DVR to tape Dynamite for. And getting WON Hall of Famer Jun Akiyama vs Kenny Omega for the AEW title would be loving huge.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

a DDT guy I'd love to see in AEW is Yukio Sakaguchi, obviously Eruption as a unit would be great also but a guy with the look and moveset of Sakaguchi has some real potential to get over with AEW's crowd.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think the main difference though is western-focused as NJPW is a way larger name than DDT is to american fans. While yeah, giving DDT more exposure will help draw more eyes to that product, especially since they're already working with TJPW which is under that umbrella, I think the feeling is co-promoting with DDT doesn't draw new fans in the same way the NJPW relationship would.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

A DDT partnership always seemed to make much more sense to me than the oft-talked about NJPW AEW fantasy. The upside is far higher for DDT who don't regularly run US tours. Meanwhile AEW gets to use guys like Endo & Takeshita who are no less talented than the sort of New Japan names people always crave for. TBH, getting to see Nautilus against Ortiz & Santana would be something I'd set my DVR to tape Dynamite for. And getting WON Hall of Famer Jun Akiyama vs Kenny Omega for the AEW title would be loving huge.
My only worry is how niche DDT can be, even compared to CIMA & Strong Hearts so outside of Ace vs Ace matches (Endo, Takeshita, Chris Brookes against Kenny, Cody Rhodes, Hangman) who else do you really put on an AEW show?

I mean yeah, I'd love to see DAMNATION against The Dark Order or Janella vs Shunma in a silly hardcore match, and ERUPTION but they all kinda seem like Dark segments.

TJPW on the other hand, yeah they have characters and charisma in spades. Yamashita, Maki Itoh, Sakazaki, Shoko, and Mizuki are all distinct enough people they'd easily get over instantly. They're a much easier group to get the gist of at a glance than most of the DDT or NOAH rosters.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

i think the main difference though is western-focused as NJPW is a way larger name than DDT is to american fans. While yeah, giving DDT more exposure will help draw more eyes to that product, especially since they're already working with TJPW which is under that umbrella, I think the feeling is co-promoting with DDT doesn't draw new fans in the same way the NJPW relationship would.

Does New Japan actually draw new fans for AEW though? How many NJPW fans can be unaware that AEW exists at this point, considering you have to be at least a little online to follow New Japan in the west? And they already have so many ex (& for that matter current) New Japan guys on their roster.

RealFoxy posted:

My only worry is how niche DDT can be, even compared to CIMA & Strong Hearts so outside of Ace vs Ace matches (Endo, Takeshita, Chris Brookes against Kenny, Cody Rhodes, Hangman) who else do you really put on an AEW show?

I mean yeah, I'd love to see DAMNATION against The Dark Order or Janella vs Shunma in a silly hardcore match, and Maki Itoh interacting with Lance Archer but they all kinda seem like Dark segments.

TJPW on the other hand, yeah they have characters and charisma in spades

On top of the 3 you named, Ueno, MAO, Higuchi, HARASHIMA, Hirata, Jun Akiyama, Nautilus as a tag team, Eruption as a tag team (with the slight sticking point of Saki Akai & AEW's attitude to intergender matches). I know DDT has this rep as the silly promotion but there's some loving rad talent. And the fans will accept them as a big deal if you treat them as a big deal. Nobody in NWA/WCW's audience knew who Keiji Mutoh was when he came in but The Great Muta got over. Build them well & a large part of the DDT roster will uphold their end of the deal. I think the idea that TJP is somehow easier to wrap your head around than DDT is really weird but tastes vary so whatever.

On top of that you can also potentially touch on the sister CyberFight promotion NOAH & I mean that's just banger after banger. Where as with New Japan it's just "okay, I want to see Kenny & Ibushi or Kenny & Naito or Kenny & Okada again" & I dunno, I am far more excited by fresh matchups

But also fair point, I am not an AEW watcher & so really don't care about it from their business end of things & just want to see fun things happen.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 13, 2020