Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

As I recall it starts out relatively non-gross. I mean, exploited workers, migrant boat people, etc etc and then the whole Amber storyline. Which is seriously really bad. Like worse than you're imagining if you've not read it.

Yes, horrible things frequently happen to refugees -- but Piers Anthony is not the guy you want writing about that. The first book is one long string of rape (including kids getting raped, because Anthony), torture, murder, and cannibalism as the protagonist's ship is constantly raided by pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Friends don't let friends read Piers Anthony

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

team overhead smash posted:

Just started Rage of Dragons because it's been on my Kindle recommendation list for ages so thought I'd test how good Amazon's algorithms are.

I'm about 20% in and wondering if anyone confirm, does it at any point take a look and say "Hey, maybe us invading this country and trying to kill all the natives and steal their land is bad????"

I have this in my backlog and haven't started it yet so I'll be interested to hear how good/bad it is.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have this in my backlog and haven't started it yet so I'll be interested to hear how good/bad it is.

Finished it. Pretty generic. Feel free to read it if you want something fairly mindless. It did turn out that the country the protagonist was fighting for was intentionally portrayed as pretty awful.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Just finished reading The Three Body Problem. I'm left with many open questions about the scifi elements, that I don't think the narrator/characters addressed:

- Why not make observations, ie from Trisolaris or (later in its advancement) satellites etc of the star system, and numerically model the system? With continual updates from observations, they should be able to get a model accurate enough for practical scales. This was attempted with the human computer, but not followed-up on.

- During the human computer section, when faced with an unexpected result when testing the computer, what were Newton/Von Neumann's actual predictions for where the suns should be? What went wrong?

- Why is the human computer loading an operating system when it's severely constrained, and has a single purpose? (Do a numerical computation) Why do you need FEM etc for a first attempt at a gravity sim?

- Gravity goes with the inverse square of distance. How could a momentary conjunction of 3 stars at a thermally-safe distance counter a planet's gravity?

- Quantum entanglement is a notoriously flawed concept of transmitting information. What does instantly mean with LY-scale distance?

- Why could Trisolaran civilizations recover so quickly? I don't see how dehydration could save individuals from all the chaotic events. There's a lot of time in the lifetime of a star or universe,
but not so much to make the time to evolve technological life insignificant. Especially when the planets are being gradually destroyed by the chaotic star system. Look at how long it took life to evolve agriculture, radio telescopes etc on earth. We can only do this so many times this before hitting the sun's end.

- Why does Ye seem confused and stunned upon hearing of the Trisolarans' plan at the end? Wasn't this obvious as #1: A possibility from the moment she considered a first-contact scenario, and #2: The most likely option upon receiving the first message? It was odd that this didn't come up until late in the book, and we never heard a Redemptionst address this. The Adventist view is more plausible, and it's fun to think about Ye being so disillusioned from her life experiences to wanting to harm humanity, but this is something that should have been addressed, at least briefly.

Maybe I'm spoiled by authors like Sagan, Weir, and Stephenson, and am not looking at this correctly. I find it fun to get lost in the Sci-Fi world, and imagine how it could actually be. Think about how to make these techs happen. Find flaws and doubts. I couldn't here, because the holes were too large. The proton bit at the end was super cool and would be fun to imagine. But if I can't trust the science and tech we know about, how can I speculate about the science we don't? I think the nano-wires slicing the ship were the only part that hit that cool wow, what if! emotion that drives me to sci-fi.

I thought the high-point was the author giving us the opportunity to get inside the head of Ye, and try to imagine her actions after considering what she'd been through.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 6, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You figured it out, it's all authorial contrivance and isn't real.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Just finished reading The Three Body Problem. I'm left with many open questions about the scifi elements, that I don't think the narrator/characters addressed:

- Why not make observations, ie from Trisolaris or (later in its advancement) satellites etc of the star system, and numerically model the system? With continual updates from observations, they should be able to get a model accurate enough for practical scales. This was attempted with the human computer, but not followed-up on.

- During the human computer section, when faced with an unexpected result when testing the computer, what were Newton/Von Neumann's actual predictions for where the suns should be? What went wrong?

- Why is the human computer loading an operating system when it's severely constrained, and has a single purpose? (Do a numerical computation) Why do you need FEM etc for a first attempt at a gravity sim?

- Gravity goes with the inverse square of distance. How could a momentary conjunction of 3 stars at a thermally-safe distance counter a planet's gravity?

I think the basic answer to these questions is that Cixin Liu had a somewhat exaggerated sense of the difficulty of the titular three-body problem. Those suns are just that unpredictable.

quote:

- Quantum entanglement is a notoriously flawed concept of transmitting information. What does instantly mean with LY-scale distance?

Presumably it's "instant" in the "common sense" sense, as a result of using quantum physics against Einsteinian physics to make things work in a manner more like Newtonian physics, or something like that. While I'm not a physicist, I suspect that's impossible even in theory, but it's at least superficially more plausible than most sci-fi means of FTL communication or travel.

quote:

- Why could Trisolaran civilizations recover so quickly? I don't see how dehydration could save individuals from all the chaotic events. There's a lot of time in the lifetime of a star or universe,
but not so much to make the time to evolve technological life insignificant. Especially when the planets are being gradually destroyed by the chaotic star system. Look at how long it took life to evolve agriculture, radio telescopes etc on earth. We can only do this so many times this before hitting the sun's end.

While I don't think the specific details of these particular questions are answered in The Dark Forest, and I haven't finished Death's End, The Dark Forest does suggest a general answer: Trisolarian biology is very weird.

quote:

- Why does Ye seem confused and stunned upon hearing of the Trisolarans' plan at the end? Wasn't this obvious as #1: A possibility from the moment she considered a first-contact scenario, and #2: The most likely option upon receiving the first message? It was odd that this didn't come up until late in the book, and we never heard a Redemptionst address this. The Adventist view is more plausible, and it's fun to think about Ye being so disillusioned from her life experiences to wanting to harm humanity, but this is something that should have been addressed, at least briefly.

I don't remember the details of that plot point very well.

quote:

Maybe I'm spoiled by authors like Sagan, Weir, and Stephenson, and am not looking at this correctly. I find it fun to get lost in the Sci-Fi world, and imagine how it could actually be. Think about how to make these techs happen. Find flaws and doubts. I couldn't here, because the holes were too large. The proton bit at the end was super cool and would be fun to imagine. But if I can't trust the science and tech we know about, how can I speculate about the science we don't? I think the nano-wires slicing the ship were the only part that hit that cool wow, what if! emotion that drives me to sci-fi.

I thought the high-point was the author giving us the opportunity to get inside the head of Ye, and try to imagine her actions after considering what she'd been through.

I haven't read anything by Sagan or Weir, but Stephenson has plenty of things that aren't all that scientifically plausible, or even completely consistent. For example, the way the Primer's AI works in the The Diamond Age doesn't make much sense (especially since we're told earlier in the book that AI, strictly speaking, doesn't exist).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 6, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I got around to Piranesi and highly recommend it to anyone looking for something short and thoughtful.

Definitely not what I was expecting from the author of Strange/Norrell 15 years later, but also somehow totally consistent with what you could imagine Clarke's writing becoming. Really beautiful and bittersweet, hard to type much about it without spoilers except that if you like her and like Borges short stories about labyrinths, you'll certainly enjoy this.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI184XG/

The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI181JI/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dead Lies Dreaming by Stross was very good. It's a high-tech heist story (with some magic and/or superpowers) set in the Laundry universe. This is crime, not espionage, so none of the major players from previous books appear at all. It's much more about ordinary people trying to get along in a world where there an actual Elder God in 10 Downing Street. I'd recommend this for anyone who likes high-tech crime, even if you previously bounced off of the Laundry series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My review for Wolfhound Century, as taken from my goodreads review:

I don't strictly know that I'm qualified to review this book, given that I only have a surface-level understanding of the history of the Soviet Union and can't speak to the cultural themes Higgins is drawing on here, but drat if I didn't enjoy reading it.

The plot hook is that in fantasy not-USSR, an unpopular inspector from a rural area is called into the capital of the not-USSR to find a revolutionary leader and report on him. Immediately there are strange things about the setting: the capital is not not-Moscow, but actually not-Saint Petersburg, judging from its location at the mouth of the sea on swampy marshland.

Other things abound: the presence of dead angels, their flesh implanted into children and molded into golems. Stranger things. Sentient rain. The walking spirit of the forest. The best thing about this book is how it seamlessly weaves in the mundane life of the city with the strange magic afoot. It feels real, like a true city even when giants walk the streets.

And it feels like a right proper USSR spy drama in the rest of it, which is brilliant - inter-department intrigue, hiding files, interrogation, dimly lit rooms, realizing that something is very, very wrong. I cannot overstate how well the author conveys the city, the characters, or what they believe in and fight for. Or rather, what they don't fight for, because - and this is lovely - only one character opens the novel knowing his clear-cut purpose. The rest have to figure it out along the way.

A note on structure: the author writes in short chapters, a few pages before he jumps again. It works brilliantly to convey a series of snapshots of the city, the people, the plot. It never feels rushed or cut, instead more like it's covering a lot of ground without boring you with what would be filler.

The ending is clear: more is coming. The plot has not been resolved. There is an angel in the forest who wishes to see mankind in starships, and depending on who you sympathize with, you'll want to see it succeed.

Highly recommended. I'm starting the next book now.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

That review made me sprint over to Amazon and get the collected trilogy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished the Dragons of Babel and I really like Swanwick's industrial faerie world. I like how he takes his time to take detours like a marble lion talking about his life and liked the joke about how sex with centaurs is considered bestiality by both parties.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FewtureMD posted:

That review made me sprint over to Amazon and get the collected trilogy.
It's got a bit of a downward curve when it comes to quality, but it's still good. They cut down on the moral ambiguity really hard, in particular; you get obvious good guys and bad guys which is a wasted opportunity when you're setting the story in a totalitarian regime.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 7, 2020

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Dead Lies Dreaming by Stross was very good. It's a high-tech heist story (with some magic and/or superpowers) set in the Laundry universe. This is crime, not espionage, so none of the major players from previous books appear at all. It's much more about ordinary people trying to get along in a world where there an actual Elder God in 10 Downing Street. I'd recommend this for anyone who likes high-tech crime, even if you previously bounced off of the Laundry series.

Good to know. I was less interested in the vampires, even less in the elven invasion, I had decided to tap out all together after the superhero Case Nightmare Green thing.

Might dip the toe back in again.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

branedotorg posted:

Good to know. I was less interested in the vampires, even less in the elven invasion, I had decided to tap out all together after the superhero Case Nightmare Green thing.

Elves appear in the first sentence of Dead Lies Dreaming, but super powers don't show up until a bit farther down the page.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Finished the Dragons of Babel and I really like Swanwick's industrial faerie world. I like how he takes his time to take detours like a marble lion talking about his life and liked the joke about how sex with centaurs is considered bestiality by both parties.

That brick joke at the end of the lion monologue is great

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I just finished reading the entire 7 book Prince of Nothing saga by R Scott Bakker and ... dear god, why did no one get that man an editor? I rarely feel like my time reading is ill-spent, but this was certainly a new low.

Luckily, Blindsight is next up, and I've been hearing the good word about that for some time.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Moreau posted:

I just finished reading the entire 7 book Prince of Nothing saga by R Scott Bakker and ... dear god, why did no one get that man an editor? I rarely feel like my time reading is ill-spent, but this was certainly a new low.

Yeah, talk at the time was that the editor quit after the first 3 and then, well whatever happened happened.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

just finished First Cycle by H. Beam Piper, it's the one with this cover, and the bad inaccurate art aside, it's a pretty good book about a meeting between two civilizations on a double planet who think incredibly different from each other.

since this is a Piper book, the Not-Texans are the "good ones".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Immediately there are strange things about the setting: the capital is not not-Moscow, but actually not-Saint Petersburg, judging from its location at the mouth of the sea on swampy marshland.

Note the capital of Russia before the Revolution...(which did not primarily occur in Moscow)

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

My review for Wolfhound Century, as taken from my goodreads review:

I don't strictly know that I'm qualified to review this book, given that I only have a surface-level understanding of the history of the Soviet Union and can't speak to the cultural themes Higgins is drawing on here, but drat if I didn't enjoy reading it.

The plot hook is that in fantasy not-USSR, an unpopular inspector from a rural area is called into the capital of the not-USSR to find a revolutionary leader and report on him. Immediately there are strange things about the setting: the capital is not not-Moscow, but actually not-Saint Petersburg, judging from its location at the mouth of the sea on swampy marshland.

Other things abound: the presence of dead angels, their flesh implanted into children and molded into golems. Stranger things. Sentient rain. The walking spirit of the forest. The best thing about this book is how it seamlessly weaves in the mundane life of the city with the strange magic afoot. It feels real, like a true city even when giants walk the streets.

And it feels like a right proper USSR spy drama in the rest of it, which is brilliant - inter-department intrigue, hiding files, interrogation, dimly lit rooms, realizing that something is very, very wrong. I cannot overstate how well the author conveys the city, the characters, or what they believe in and fight for. Or rather, what they don't fight for, because - and this is lovely - only one character opens the novel knowing his clear-cut purpose. The rest have to figure it out along the way.

A note on structure: the author writes in short chapters, a few pages before he jumps again. It works brilliantly to convey a series of snapshots of the city, the people, the plot. It never feels rushed or cut, instead more like it's covering a lot of ground without boring you with what would be filler.

The ending is clear: more is coming. The plot has not been resolved. There is an angel in the forest who wishes to see mankind in starships, and depending on who you sympathize with, you'll want to see it succeed.

Highly recommended. I'm starting the next book now.
Speaking as someone with a fair-to-decent background in Soviet history, it actually took me a long while to get on Higgins' wavelength because I recognized everything. A place name, the name of a character, a particular event, a throwaway detail - I could recognize it as something from pre-revolutionary Russia or from the early 1950s or whatever, but because everything was all jumbled together I couldn't suspend my disbelief. After a year of mulling and some help from Adam Roberts' review, I realized that my problem was that I was trying to read Wolfhound Century like a traditional secondary-world fantasy where everything must be understood on its own terms, when the books are more of a fantasy allegory for the history of the Soviet Union. It's exploring these ideas of revolution, utopianism, the destruction of the past and the construction of the future, the person of Josef Stalin and the meaning of Stalinism by recombining history, art, and poetry in ways you wouldn't necessarily see in a straight history. Once I began seeing the first book in that light, things just clicked for me and I was able quite enjoy the next two books. Fair warning that Truth and Fear completely shifts gears away from the mystery plot into a war story, while Radiant State is a mix of things. Still, you have to love a fantasy trilogy where the most powerful force in the world is the atomic bomb.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've started digging into the Philip K. Dick Award shortlists over the years (i.e. I ordered a bunch of them off Abebooks and they'll start showing up over the next five months or so) because I think they're less known and maybe more interesting than the more famous authors who tend to get nominated for the Hugo or Nebula.

First up was Them Bones by Howard Waldrop which is about time travellers trying to go back and avert the nuclear war that's ruined their own time, but loving up and ending up in an alternate universe. It was... fine! Maybe less interesting than that elevator pitch makes it sound, since it's mostly set in a small area of Mississippi in an alternate-universe-but-still-pre-industrial Native American society. Felt more like an extended short story than a full novel, but it was short and fun and readable and I liked it well enough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wonder how you gauge a novel's success in the long term?

I was just notified that Jurassic Park will be having its 30th anniversary on the 20th of this month. All of Crichton's books sold well but easy come and easy go. I think some of his books are popular enough still but hard to really tell.

In any event I always preferred he novel to the film for a few reasons. The novel actually has more action for one thing. Love the section with the raft and the T-Rex or when the raptors corner the kids in the computer room. Might have to do a reread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

And from actually good fantasy to incredibly indulgent schlocky sci-fi, here's my short review of Aliens vs Predator: Prey.

To be clear, this book has two ratings in my head: the first is the quality rating. It's a 3/5, maybe edging into a 4/5. The prose is good but not spectacular and the plot is relatively straight-forward.

The second rating is the fun rating, and that's why it's five stars: this is what I wanted from the AVP movie and kind of didn't really get. It has a team-up between a badass lady and a badass predator and they fight aliens and reach a mutual understanding and then unlike the very end of the AVP movie where they leave her alone in the arctic to basically freeze to death, at the end of this book she's taken on a hunt with other predators and THAT'S MY JAM.

I am SO here for two species having to survive together despite communication problems, and for alien cultures, and alien fighting, and this book delivered! It even has some great scenes that explain predator - yautja - culture and it's fascinating, I want more. Tell me everything about yautja and how they see the world and operate in it.

Finally - yes, I checked out the comic this book is novelizing and it's okay. The art is good but not great. The writing is the skeleton of the book but doesn't have much of the cool detailing and fleshing out of the yautja. This book is the ideal form of the comic and I had a great time reading it.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Harmony Black by Craig Schaefer - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZX99WCA/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, I finally started reading Monster Baru, and one the one hand, I can't put it down

But on the other hand

Aminata got a letter from Tain Hu and she put it back unread and I have a horrible feeling she's never going to get around to reading it and I'm loving dying here, Battuta why are you doing this to me, why

:negative:

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

tildes posted:

- Request to read more of book I posted -

I just realized you don't have PMs, so I actually have no idea how to contact with you with a beta read? If you see this by some chance, drop your email in here and I'll shoot you a link to the full thing.

Actual thread content: I finally read Annihilation and really liked it. For people who have read the other two books in the Area X series, are they worth picking up, or is there a drop-off in quality?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The other two are different, but I thought also very good. Authority in particular is a big change, but pays off at the end, and in setting up Acceptance. I don’t think there’s any drop off in quality, just shifts in focus - not even really in tone. And Vandermeer, knowing that the three books would be published in short succession, has said it relieved him of any perceived need to make them self-contained - each informs the others.

Short version, would recommend continuing on with the other two.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nae posted:

I just realized you don't have PMs, so I actually have no idea how to contact with you with a beta read? If you see this by some chance, drop your email in here and I'll shoot you a link to the full thing.

Actual thread content: I finally read Annihilation and really liked it. For people who have read the other two books in the Area X series, are they worth picking up, or is there a drop-off in quality?

There's not so much a drop-off in quality as much as they go in very different directions. The other two books do a fairly good job of capturing the same deep strangeness of Annihilation, though they focus on different aspects of Area X, as well as different characters. I still liked them a lot as a big fan of that sort of weird tales/sci-fi mashup, but Annihilation is definitely the standout of the three. The other two books don't have quite as much of the "expedition into an alien zone" feel, if you're looking for more of that.

edit: yeah Kalman said it well, the three books tie into each other very well, with somewhat different approaches to explaining (or pointedly not explaining) what's going on in Area X and its history.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Authority is a slog the first time but is many peoples’ favorite. Acceptance is my personal favorite, it has the most humanity.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Nae posted:

You can email satemp845 at gmail dot com! Thanks!

tildes fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 11, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Authority is a slog the first time but is many peoples’ favorite. Acceptance is my personal favorite, it has the most humanity.

Yeah I took a while getting through Authority and if you'd asked me right after I read it, I probably would have said I didn't really like it, but a lot of the stuff that has stuck with me most significantly is from Authority. Acceptance was a surprisingly effective ending to the trilogy given all the different directions it went through the three books.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Good to hear that Authority and Acceptance are worth a read, since I just bounced off the Library of the Unwritten when I couldn't convince myself to keep reading after 20%. 'Hell has a library full of unwritten books and the characters escape to find their authors' seemed sweet, but the audience-surrogate character is frustratingly inept and the rest of the cast doesn't have much going for it. It's always a bummer when the pages don't live up to the premise, but that's just the way it is sometimes.

tildes posted:

You can email satemp845 at gmail dot com! Thanks!

Done!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

Authority is a slog the first time
This is the key part, I think. It gets a lot better on re-read when you know where the series is going.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

This is the key part, I think. It gets a lot better on re-read when you know where the series is going.

the ending of Authority kind of made me want to go back and reevaluate the whole thing, which was the whole point, I think.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG6MG3Y/

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nae posted:

Good to hear that Authority and Acceptance are worth a read, since I just bounced off the Library of the Unwritten when I couldn't convince myself to keep reading after 20%. 'Hell has a library full of unwritten books and the characters escape to find their authors' seemed sweet, but the audience-surrogate character is frustratingly inept and the rest of the cast doesn't have much going for it. It's always a bummer when the pages don't live up to the premise, but that's just the way it is sometimes.

Done!

I worked at a library until very recently, and all of my coworker friends loved Library of the Unwritten but it was so bad. I'm glad I'm not alone.

It was like when I met a guy getting a PhD in English that liked Rothfuss. I was completely boggled.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

the ending of Authority kind of made me want to go back and reevaluate the whole thing, which was the whole point, I think.

Authority has some of Vandermeer's scariest writing towards the end, too, I love the tone he's able to set there as things spiral.

Not quite as scary as the bar scene at the end of Acceptance, where the guy playing piano starts mashing it until his hands are bleeding and everything goes batshit crazy, but close.

but also Acceptance is legitimately touching and beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

eke out posted:

Authority has some of Vandermeer's scariest writing towards the end, too, I love the tone he's able to set there as things spiral.

Not quite as scary as the bar scene at the end of Acceptance, where the guy playing piano starts mashing it until his hands are bleeding and everything goes batshit crazy, but close.

but also Acceptance is legitimately touching and beautiful.

the Lighthouse Keeper, oof.