Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Edit: Ignore this or don't whichever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hey, looking to get an external hard drive for my father, not sure what type would be most useful/reliable. Figured I'd use the PC Parts Picker, and This one looks pretty good, but I still don't know my head from my rear end about a lot of this stuff, so I would like to make sure it isn't super terrible in secret or anything.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

pik_d posted:

For the Fractal Meshify C, everyone says to buy 2x140mm fans for the front (and I have done so), but that leaves me with the second stock 120mm fan. Since I already have it I feel like I might as well still use it. Would a bottom intake or top exhaust be better? Top would still be negative pressure I assume since the front fans are larger, but which option would be better overall?

This got missed in the excitement, anyone have any ideas?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

pik_d posted:

Why not a top intake to dump air right on your CPU cooler?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

pik_d posted:

I’m definitely a fan of putting active intakes wherever you have filters.

Bottom intakes tend to help GPUs temps.

You could always just try both.

Grabbing the fifth fan isn’t very much more $. Three in two out is a pretty nice balance.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

pik_d posted:

Your one exhaust is likely enough.

I’d only do bottom intake if you don’t have any 3.5” drives and you still take the shroud cutout out.

I don’t know your GPU. If you have a GPU that’ll benefit from intake (30x0 FE) then I’d do bottom intake. If not I’d do top intake.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

One thing we always want to avoid is putting intake anywhere near exhaust because air loves to just run right back into the case and circle around.

If you have more intake fans then exhaust fans the entire top of the computer is going to be one big passive exhaust. A top mounted intake fan is going to yank in that top exhaust air even if the fan is in the front of the computer.

By throwing another fan in the bottom of the computer we’re just making that top exhaust a little more energetic while probably also motivating more hot air out of the PCI slots. The great thing about the bottom of the case is that all of the air down there is gonna be nice and cold just like the front fans.

Edit: Of course every case is different, fans are pretty cheap, and you can move them around and try all kinds of fun stuff. Just keep more fans in than out or you might end up with dust all over the place.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Some Goon posted:

I've got to update the OP now, grumble grumble. I won't be able to go deep on benchmarks for a couple hours, is the jump in perf of the 5600 worth the price delta over the 3600 for as long as they're still available, or is it up into diminishing returns?

Protip: split bigass OPs into multiple posts.

FWIW, I am probably going to retain the 3600 as the default and leave the 5600X as the upgrade option on my next update. Or if you can't find Zen 2 anymore. 5600X is basically in 10900K territory but most goon builds are always GPU limited anyways.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
How much gaming performance increase can I expect if GPU-bound between the Zen 2+ and Zen 3 processors? I bought a new 3900x but before building my PC had to move for work; thanks to COVID I still have not moved into a place and gotten my house stuff delivered, and since then it looks like the new 5xxx AMD processors are out. I suppose I could try and sell my 3900x and buy Zen 3, but I noticed that all benchmarks and reviews (maybe just most) do 1080p low settings, which I'm guessing is more in line with pro gamers maxing FPS's. I play in 1440p and highest settings possible so I'm hoping that the difference between the two processors at higher graphics settings is pretty inconsequential and I can just stick with the 3900x. I'd like to build something for the next 8 years or so and not change out CPUs in that time, so really just trying to decide if the best bet is to make the jump now or work with what I have.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am currently installing a NZXT Kraken Z series AIO and the instructions have me confused.

It has specific instructions for installation on an LGA 2011/2066 motherboard, and also for LGA 115x/1366.

I have an LGA 1200 motherboard. I see no instructions for my board at all.

I've searched for a newer manual online and see none.

My motherboard is an Asus TUF Gaming Z490 Plus.

Any tips?

EDIT: the instructions for LGA 115x/1366 seem to fit - the mounting bracket fits on the back of the motherboard. But when I screw in the standoffs on the front of the motherboard to hold the bracket in place, they are loose. I can wiggle the back plate around a little bit. should it be tight at this point? Or, will it be tightened later when I put the pump on the front?

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 6, 2020

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

spunkshui posted:

I’m definitely a fan of putting active intakes wherever you have filters.

Bottom intakes tend to help GPUs temps.

You could always just try both.

Grabbing the fifth fan isn’t very much more $. Three in two out is a pretty nice balance.

Kingnothing posted:

Your one exhaust is likely enough.

I’d only do bottom intake if you don’t have any 3.5” drives and you still take the shroud cutout out.

I don’t know your GPU. If you have a GPU that’ll benefit from intake (30x0 FE) then I’d do bottom intake. If not I’d do top intake.

Thanks, I think I'll do a bottom intake for the 3070 FE. Seems the most conventional.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am currently installing a NZXT Kraken Z series AIO and the instructions have me confused.

It has specific instructions for installation on an LGA 2011/2066 motherboard, and also for LGA 115x/1366.

I have an LGA 1200 motherboard. I see no instructions for my board at all.

I've searched for a newer manual online and see none.

My motherboard is an Asus TUF Gaming Z490 Plus.

Any tips?

EDIT: the instructions for LGA 115x/1366 seem to fit - the mounting bracket fits on the back of the motherboard. But when I screw in the standoffs on the front of the motherboard to hold the bracket in place, they are loose. I can wiggle the back plate around a little bit. should it be tight at this point? Or, will it be tightened later when I put the pump on the front?

I’d search for somebody doing a build on youtube with that cooler.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm getting a couple of hand-me-down components from a friend and i want to build a new all-round system around them. Gonna be used for games, rendering and image editing/digital painting.
The components in parenthesis are the ones i'm getting second hand so they're fixed.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
or
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

(CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler )
(Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard )
(Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory )
(Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive )
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-06 04:13 EST-0500

Main question for me is the CPU. Am i going to notice much of a difference between the two in any application?

Other suggestions and comments are welcome as well of course.

Edit: I should probably throw in some additional case fans as well?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Thinking of going with something like this for my next upgrade. Thoughts?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.59 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $719.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-06 04:38 EST-0500

PSU is not included because I've got a 1 year old Corsair RM650 I'd be reusing for this build. Graphics card is undecided, would probably use my RX580 while hoping to pick up a used 2070 while people are upgrading.

Mostly, I'm wondering if I'd be better off going with the MSI B55M0 Pro-VDH Wifi for the motherboard. It's significantly cheaper and I could use that money on the graphics card.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MikeC posted:

FWIW, I am probably going to retain the 3600 as the default and leave the 5600X as the upgrade option on my next update. Or if you can't find Zen 2 anymore. 5600X is basically in 10900K territory but most goon builds are always GPU limited anyways.

Yeah 3600 is still stupid good value but the 5600X looks like the smart step up from that for gaming.

If you need more cores for work or whatever the 5800X and up are objectively fantastic but you'll pay for it and it won't actually help games at all IRL anytime soon.

I still got a 5800X though :haw:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Found a good deal on the Meshify C Mini so I might go for that. I like the idea of having a glass panel, but they only have the dark tint in stock. If I don't have any RGB whatsoever, is this pointless? I'm not fussed about being able to see everything super clearly. I just want the case to look nice.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

pik_d posted:

Thanks, I think I'll do a bottom intake for the 3070 FE. Seems the most conventional.

I have the same setup but I did a top exhaust and it's working pretty well. I'm curious about the bottom intake, it seems better but personally I'm worried a bottom intake will just get more dust into the case despite the filter (there's always some very fine dust that still gets in). I suppose that's probably not a huge concern.

The Grumbles posted:

Found a good deal on the Meshify C Mini so I might go for that. I like the idea of having a glass panel, but they only have the dark tint in stock. If I don't have any RGB whatsoever, is this pointless? I'm not fussed about being able to see everything super clearly. I just want the case to look nice.

I have the dark tint glass on my regular meshify with barely any leds on my components (just some on the motherboard and GPU) and it looks fine. I wouldn't really miss it if it wasn't there but yeah you can still see stuff.

Elman fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 6, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PageMaster posted:

How much gaming performance increase can I expect if GPU-bound between [...] processors?

Zero, more or less. Maybe a pickup on the lows depending on the game but even then probably nothing worth thinking about. If you're GPU bound your current processor already has untapped headroom, a faster processor will more headroom that will continue to be untapped.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Ugh, all the new AMD processors are sold out everywhere, even the really expensive ones. Another paper launch I guess, I still havent been able to snag a 3070 either

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Umbreon posted:

Ugh, all the new AMD processors are sold out everywhere, even the really expensive ones. Another paper launch I guess, I still havent been able to snag a 3070 either

Sorry you gotta go fast, ordered my 5600X yesterday and it's here now

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

High end parts were / have always been in short supply at launch. Reportedly it took several minutes for the 5600X to sell out. Id imagine the next couple shipments sell out too, but it should see general availability before the other in-demand parts.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I was able to order a 5600X on Amazon at 9:18 AM yesterday which I found pretty surprising. The 5800Xs and above were gone near instantly though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Don't need a CPU upgrade if your graphics card is the bottleneck

(I'll shell out when DDR5 ram becomes a thing)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Well thread, thanks for a bunch of help the last few months. Now that I have a 5800 order in, and my case should be arriving next week, fedex willing, this is the final build list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $449.00)
CPU Cooler: NZXT KRAKEN Z63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $189.00)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $159.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $120.00)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $98.00)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $135.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING OC Video Card (Purchased For $799.00)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $179.00)
Case Fan: ARCTIC BioniX P140 77.6 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $14.99)
Custom: Sliger SM 580 (Purchased For $235.00)
Total: $2422.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-06 11:48 EST-0500

I'm sure I'll be back to complain that none of this poo poo works for some reason, but I'm going stir crazy and needed to retail distract myself from... well, yeah.

For my first desktop computer in 15 years, I'm building a sweet goddamn rig.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

pik_d posted:

I was able to order a 5600X on Amazon at 9:18 AM yesterday which I found pretty surprising. The 5800Xs and above were gone near instantly though.

Amazon seems to have done a stealth back-order system, though. If you bought it in the first few minutes you got a delivery date early next week. A few minutes later, a delivery date the week after. I think they finally shut them off when the expected shipping date was in early Dec.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So is the new thread consensus recommendation now 3600 or 5600X depending?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Reviewing benchmarks yeah, thats where I'm at. The 3600 is still a good for 120+ fps and at less than $200 a wild value. The 5600X is tops for high refresh rate gaming but like Intel before it I'm not sure it's generally worth the premium, though at only $100-120 over the 3600 (since there's no premium on motherboards) if you're building a baller system or must hit 144fps it's a strong choice.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Pretty much. If the $100 difference is the difference between you being able to get a better GPU or not, then get the 3600 and the better GPU. If the $100 difference isn't critical, the 5600X is real damned nice and will likely have longer legs, as well as being better at everything not-gaming you might be considering doing (like running Chrome with 1083 tabs open like we know you do).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Some Goon posted:

High end parts were / have always been in short supply at launch. Reportedly it took several minutes for the 5600X to sell out. Id imagine the next couple shipments sell out too, but it should see general availability before the other in-demand parts.

Is there anywhere you can actually backorder them? I don't care if I have to wait, I just don't have the time to constantly look and hope something comes into stock. Just let me buy it and forget about it, I don't care if it doesn't arrive for a month...

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Many thanks to whoever posted the stock tracking discord, I was able to get the FE RTX 3080 at RRP the other day with minimal fuss here in the EU. I could have got the 5600x too but I'd maxed my credit card and I figure that will come back in stock quicker.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

Is there anywhere you can actually backorder them? I don't care if I have to wait, I just don't have the time to constantly look and hope something comes into stock. Just let me buy it and forget about it, I don't care if it doesn't arrive for a month...

Of NewEgg, B&H, Amazon, BB, and Microcenter, none of them are doing backorders right now. No idea if any small shops are, but at least in the US you're pretty much stuck waiting for restock drops.

Upside is the 5600X had a lot of stock on day 1, and Amazon was expecting what looked like weekly shipments, so it may be that you don't have to wait long before you'll have opportunities to grab one again.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Provantage is still taking backorders for the 5600X: https://www.provantage.com/amd-100-100000065box~7AAMD3EX.htm

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

No Pants posted:

Provantage is still taking backorders for the 5600X: https://www.provantage.com/amd-100-100000065box~7AAMD3EX.htm

For an extra $20 once you consider shipping, and with absolutely no expected date. Not a terrible plan if you really don't care when you get it, or just want a backup option that you expect to cancel when they come back in stock elsewhere first.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

DrDork posted:

Amazon seems to have done a stealth back-order system, though. If you bought it in the first few minutes you got a delivery date early next week. A few minutes later, a delivery date the week after. I think they finally shut them off when the expected shipping date was in early Dec.

I'm in the "Arriving Nov 14 - Nov 17" group despite taking 18 minutes to admit to myself that a 5600X would actually be all I need.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
So thread I got all my new stuff sans rtx3080 (comes on monday) and I'm about to qflash bios on a gigabyte b550 auros elite to the new version that will accept my ryzen 5600X...

I downloaded the latest bios files, extracted them and renamed the main file to GIGABYTE.bin
I formatted a USB to make sure it was FAT32 and put the files on it
I plugged in the 24pin main power and the cpu power cables, nothing else

Now then, from what I understand, I'm just to plug the usb stick into the white usb socket next to the qflash button on the back, turn the power supply on and then hold the button for a little bit until the light starts blinking, then wait until it stops right?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

does anyone have any tips on draining a water cooling system? I built my first water cooled PC 3 years ago but now planning on draining it and putting it into a new system. I'd just leave it sealed but pretty sure I need to disconnect some of it to run it from one part of the case to another plus I don't think the current tube lengths will work the same in the new case. Planning on just taking it out of the old case intact and then just holding it over a bucket or something and disconnecting one of the CPU connections and just letting it drain. I'm a little bit worried about all the stuff resealing properly, not sure if I have any extra tubing if it becomes a problem.

Also should I expect anything weird when switching from a top mounted radiator to a bottom mounted one? I wouldn't think so but not sure.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

cyxx posted:

Yeah for some reason the 3800X never showed up on search but if you clicked into the link from the tweet they had a small page with direct links to the non bundle CPUs.

Yeah it was a dead link right until about a minute after official launch time, I just kept opening it in a new tab until I saw it go to a real page.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Is it possible to turn off the RGB on DDR kits at the BIOS level? All the best kits I'm able to find have RGB and I'd rather not have to install some program for the sole purpose of turning it off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just look at this fuckin thing

https://twitter.com/KarlTowns/status/1324836091648634880?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Senjuro posted:

Is it possible to turn off the RGB on DDR kits at the BIOS level? All the best kits I'm able to find have RGB and I'd rather not have to install some program for the sole purpose of turning it off.

Some but not all. Some of them ONLY interface with their own software (or at least compatible software). The upside is that in the vast majority of cases, you can install the software once, set it to whatever you want (including Off), and then uninstall the software and the settings will stick forever.