Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Eggplant Squire posted:

I think All Might was so overwhelmingly dominant everyone knew there was no way to really surpass him. We are seeing him after being hugely hosed up and running on whatever fumes he had left and he still handles problems no one else can up until he finally retired after beating All For One. In his prime All Might was probably basically a god styled super hero like Superman.

Probably? His name is one letter away from "Almighty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I still call bullshit on this. Endeavor and Hawks vs the high end pretty much proves it for me. Mirio couldn't save the people in the building how Hawks did, and he couldn't stop the rubble like Endeavor did, and All Might/Full Power Deku could easily have done both.

Mirio being neigh-unkillable is great but he flat out doesn't have the power that the top-end of the cast does.

Mirio would have continued to explore and develop the parts of his move set that are physics engine bugs and eventually learned his backwards jumping speed while intangible is uncapped, letting him dart anywhere in the world faster then the speed of light.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

post is not edit

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mirio basically has Shadowcat's power, right? Isn't she one of the most OP X-Men?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's also possible that Endeavor put a lot of effort into starting a dynasty even before he decided eugenics was the only path that would take him to #1.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rand Brittain posted:

It's also possible that Endeavor put a lot of effort into starting a dynasty even before he decided eugenics was the only path that would take him to #1.

Yeah, I think the implication is he got worse over time, and merely started at my kids with this lady would be awesome from the quirk combination and I can totally beat All Might that way, plus she's kind of okay I guess. By the time Shoto rolls around he's gone right round the bend into full on abusive monster. It explains why he remembers the flowers that she only mentioned once, why the older siblings have such different opinions of him and why Rei seems to be not totally against the possibility that they can talk some day.

Obviously he was likely never a great family man, and I can't imagine any child being trained by Endeavour as a good thing, but I think it's meant to be clear that his abuse (like most abuse) got worse over time until we get to the point where Rei has the breakdown and scars Shoto.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, I think the implication is he got worse over time, and merely started at my kids with this lady would be awesome from the quirk combination and I can totally beat All Might that way, plus she's kind of okay I guess. By the time Shoto rolls around he's gone right round the bend into full on abusive monster. It explains why he remembers the flowers that she only mentioned once, why the older siblings have such different opinions of him and why Rei seems to be not totally against the possibility that they can talk some day.

Obviously he was likely never a great family man, and I can't imagine any child being trained by Endeavour as a good thing, but I think it's meant to be clear that his abuse (like most abuse) got worse over time until we get to the point where Rei has the breakdown and scars Shoto.

All of that sounds very believable to me. There was also that little flashback he had of Rei when fighting High-End where he muses how he chose Rei to balance out his own weakness, so maybe he didn't start out as an abusive piece of poo poo, but became more and more horrible over time. Maybe Plan A was to have someone on standby to cool him down with ice when he overheats and when that turned out not to be feasible he moved to Plan E(ugenics). Poor Rei. :(

Doesn't change the fact the man should never, ever, ever have married anyone or become a parent though.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Mirio basically has Shadowcat's power, right? Isn't she one of the most OP X-Men?

Everyone on the X-Men is the most OP if somebody has recently sat down and wondered about how their power must really work.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also I’m not super sure if this is right and it seems kind of dumb, but is it just me or Toya doesn’t actually give a poo poo that Endeavour was abusive to the rest of the family, his issue is very specifically that he was abandoned for Shoto. He’s calling it out sure, but he’s clearly particularly focused on his sense of personal betrayal and/or abandonment.

Which implies that he actually liked training with Endeavour to an extent right? That’s the only way his “abandonment” makes sense. He was Endeavours chosen trainee whilst Natsu and Fuyumi were never even started training, presumably because his quirk is such a powerful flame and theirs is too weak for combat at Endeavours level.

Which might also be further supply context on the whole abuse thing and why it got worse, Toya “kills” himself trying to prove he’s good enough and Endeavour reacts to this by being even more strict and controlling of Shoto so it doesn’t happen to the real success of his quirk marriage.

Which yeah, not a good look that Endeavour seems to have hosed up his eldest son so badly and been so emotionally lovely to him that he turned villainous over his new little brother being the “perfect” child.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 9, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if he kept running to natsu begging him to explain why he was even born then it's probably a good assumption that his time under endeavor's thumb was not very pleasant

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

if he kept running to natsu begging him to explain why he was even born then it's probably a good assumption that his time under endeavor's thumb was not very pleasant

Ah damnit I misread every day as that day, yeah nah I’m wrong then and Endeavour just sucked super hard at caring about anything but his goal and perfect quirk child plan. Although he looks like he’s 10-12 in the memory image, and we know Endeavour was training Shoto quite early so maybe Toya did receive the training and then get abandoned once Shoto was born.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Caidin posted:

Everyone on the X-Men is the most OP if somebody has recently sat down and wondered about how their power must really work.

Having never read X-Men, what is the silly over extension of her power that makes her OP? All I know is she just goes intangible to walk through walls and such.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rhonne posted:

They said Mirio had a good chance of being the next number 1 while he was still in his third year, so Endeavor shooting straight to the top(or as close as he could get) right after graduating from UA doesn't seem unreasonable.

That's basically what Mirko did she's 27.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Hero work has to be overwhelmingly a young person's career due to the highly physical nature, like pro athletes

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ah damnit I misread every day as that day, yeah nah I’m wrong then and Endeavour just sucked super hard at caring about anything but his goal and perfect quirk child plan. Although he looks like he’s 10-12 in the memory image, and we know Endeavour was training Shoto quite early so maybe Toya did receive the training and then get abandoned once Shoto was born.

Getting abandoned for Shoto probably made all of the abuse feel even worse for Dabi in retrospect. He was probably thinking "what was the point of everything you put me through if you were just going to toss me to the side when Shoto was born", which is also probably why he has no problem killing Shoto too, he probably resents him for making all of that abuse "pointless".

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

Having never read X-Men, what is the silly over extension of her power that makes her OP? All I know is she just goes intangible to walk through walls and such.

In her case I dunno, I haven't followed them much in a while. I remember in the Ultimate comics she also turned into a superstrength /invulnerable type by like... Using her power in the other direction to be less intangible? Like her thing was actually density control or something.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nonexistence posted:

X-Men has a concept called Omega Mutants, which is when you describe someone's mutant power like normal, but then shout "Without limits!" into a echo synthesizer. Basically everyone has been written as an omega mutant at least once by now. Omega Shadowcat steals hearts out of people's chests, performs surgery with her bare hands to resurrect the dead, and can phase out of this dimension into other dimensions basically at will. She's one of the best hackers on the planet. Also she's a ninja and better at fighting than Wolverine?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

No I think you were right. The "Why was I even born part" is because Endeavor ditched him for Shoto. And he eventually tried to prove himself to Endeavor that he could be his successor and immolated himself.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

She can use make other objects and people intangible as well as herself so it just scales up from that where she can phase whole planets and poo poo. She can also phase herself in a way to desync from earth's rotation to teleport.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

That's basically what Mirko did she's 27.

Though it should be noted that this is Mirko's first time in the top 10.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mystic Mongol posted:

X-Men has a concept called Omega Mutants, which is when you describe someone's mutant power like normal, but then shout "Without limits!" into a echo synthesizer. Basically everyone has been written as an omega mutant at least once by now. Omega Shadowcat steals hearts out of people's chests, performs surgery with her bare hands to resurrect the dead, and can phase out of this dimension into other dimensions basically at will. She's one of the best hackers on the planet. Also she's a ninja and better at fighting than Wolverine?

Yeah. As another example, Iceman went from "a guy who can shoot ice beams out of his hands and freeze things" to "has absolute control over everything at a molecular level and can cause a global ice age singlehandedly if he ever wanted".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah, Shadowcat goes from being able to phase through matter to being able to phase OTHER people through matter and then basically being able to teleport and do all sorts of silly poo poo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Do remember power isn’t the only metric by which the top position is decided, nor is success at heroism, personality and popularity counts a lot too. It’s why even with the reduced time that All Might could be All Might he retained the top spot until his actual forcible retirement.

Endeavour actually solved more cases more often, and ran a full on hero agency too. But his personality is garbage. Mirio might not truly match him in power (and to be honest I think Mirio could beat Endeavour in a fight) but he’s got exactly the sort of earnest heroic personality people can get behind, and he’s an incredible fighter to boot. Plus unlike Hawks Mirio would actually want the top spot. So even if the whole Mirio is the closest to number one bit was a bit of hype talk, I can see how if he had graduated he’d be well on his way into the top 10.

Mostly he also just has the same basic persona as All Might, so in that way he is closest to becoming All Might (and was the Nighteye/UA(?) intended recipient of One for All too).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Mystic Mongol posted:

Also she's a ninja and better at fighting than Wolverine?

Currently she's a pirate!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheHan posted:

All these goobers trying to get in a character arc at the 11th hour.

lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Don't forget the pet dragon thats actually an alien.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, Shadowcat goes from being able to phase through matter to being able to phase OTHER people through matter and then basically being able to teleport and do all sorts of silly poo poo.

I mean, the main limitation of Mirio's power (and the ultimate cause of his downfall) is that he can only phase himself. If he could phase other people he could have just taken Eri and left the rest of that nonsense to Deku. So yeah, that's broken.

Like, the example brought up earlier is the high end destroying the building and Hawks evacuating everyone from it before it collapsed. If Mirio could phase other people that wouldn't have been totally beyond him, he'd be really, really, good at rescue work.

Though, mentioning that scene, it's weird to me that Hawks can lift a whole person with individual feathers but then also has a hard time flying with a few dozen. Superpowers :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why doesn't Hawks carrying himself with a feather?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Why doesn't Hawks carrying himself with a feather?

Because he's weighed down by all his sins

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Because he's weighed down by all his sins

:hmmyes:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I imagine this has been said before, but how does escalation work after this? Shigaraki just nuking cities by thinking about them? Kinda jumped the gun considering it's still their first year of high school.

Everyone gets PTSD and now they have to take finals. How very American.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Aurubin posted:

I imagine this has been said before, but how does escalation work after this? Shigaraki just nuking cities by thinking about them? Kinda jumped the gun considering it's still their first year of high school.

Theyre just going to have Shiggy be out of commision for a good chunk of the stories until he recovers from his injuries

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Aurubin posted:

Shigaraki is probably not going to be in any shape to fight. poo poo, HE may need a new body now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Shigaraki is probably not going to be in any shape to fight. poo poo, HE may need a new body now.

Time to introduce that Legendary Thief guy and use his Quirk to steal OFA.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

All these goobers trying to get in a character arc at the 11th hour.

Deku's dad is gonna show up next chapter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Deku's dad is gonna show up next chapter.

But All for One has been here this whole time! Yeah, have we seen All Might's reaction to what's going on?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There's gotta be a good chance Deku's dad comes back after this very public display where his broken and battered body will be in full view of anyone watching.

Imagine seeing that on the effing news

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Apparently, papa Midoriya's name is Hisashi. His name is literally "Been-a-while" Midoriya!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lot of moms getting traumatized right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Inko is having a heart attack.