Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I know it's probably to avoid plot holes, but Izuku going through all these insane near-death experiences would have probably elicited some response by his father. Maybe I underestimate the diligence of the Japanese salaryman. I do like to think this is the point where mama Midoryia puts her foot down and tries to pull him entirely, and he's forced to tell her about One for All and how he doesn't have a choice at this point. Alternatively they don't talk about her for 50 chapters like after the Shie Hassaikai arc.

That said it's a little sad, unless the author never thought about it, that when Midoryia got his provisional license he texted a picture to All-Might and his mom rather than his father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Inko is having a heart attack.

Last we saw of Inko, she was out shopping with no idea any of this was happening. She might not know Deku is mixed up in all this yet.

Shinjobi posted:

There's gotta be a good chance Deku's dad comes back after this very public display where his broken and battered body will be in full view of anyone watching.

Imagine seeing that on the effing news

"Huh, who's the green haired kid?"

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 9, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't feel like digging through Caleb's trivia but Hori apparently had enough mind to make sure that the families of none of the kids are in the path of destruction Machia has made- the majority of the kids are from Kanto I think. Uraraka's natural accent is Kansai but I can't remember if her family actually lives in the area.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Uraraka lives on her own in Kanto, so her parents are probably still in Mie prefecture.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku's dad's quirk is firebreathing. He's secretly also involved in this whole Touya/Dabi fake death thing. :tinfoil:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

oh jay posted:

Apparently, papa Midoriya's name is Hisashi. His name is literally "Been-a-while" Midoriya!

The next arc opens with Midoriya's dad finally returning triumphantly with a pack of the good smokes.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Do remember power isn’t the only metric by which the top position is decided, nor is success at heroism, personality and popularity counts a lot too. It’s why even with the reduced time that All Might could be All Might he retained the top spot until his actual forcible retirement.

Endeavour actually solved more cases more often, and ran a full on hero agency too. But his personality is garbage. Mirio might not truly match him in power (and to be honest I think Mirio could beat Endeavour in a fight) but he’s got exactly the sort of earnest heroic personality people can get behind, and he’s an incredible fighter to boot. Plus unlike Hawks Mirio would actually want the top spot. So even if the whole Mirio is the closest to number one bit was a bit of hype talk, I can see how if he had graduated he’d be well on his way into the top 10.

Mostly he also just has the same basic persona as All Might, so in that way he is closest to becoming All Might (and was the Nighteye/UA(?) intended recipient of One for All too).

I'm sure you could write it any which way but I imagine big, omni directional blasts are the best way to beat Mirio. His only form of offense is getting close and punching you by the basis of his power. Endeavor's super move is loving exploding so the moment Mirio goes for a punch that will connect...well, feints don't work against fifty meters of concrete melting flames enveloping the area. I guess he could try to wear Endeavor down or something but that's no guarantee against an experienced pro whose built his fighting style around rationing his endurance.

Then again, Mirio whose only offense is "I punch as strong as a strong guy at different angles" somehow beat Kirishima. That one still baffles me unless Kirishima just...didn't harden himself.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gigantomachia destroyed the 7-11 Hisashi went to, meaning Inko is now free to marry All Might.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm sure you could write it any which way but I imagine big, omni directional blasts are the best way to beat Mirio. His only form of offense is getting close and punching you by the basis of his power. Endeavor's super move is loving exploding so the moment Mirio goes for a punch that will connect...well, feints don't work against fifty meters of concrete melting flames enveloping the area. I guess he could try to wear Endeavor down or something but that's no guarantee against an experienced pro whose built his fighting style around rationing his endurance.

Then again, Mirio whose only offense is "I punch as strong as a strong guy at different angles" somehow beat Kirishima. That one still baffles me unless Kirishima just...didn't harden himself.

Mirio's not vulnerable to big, omni-directional blasts as long as he's aware they're coming - he can simply drop into the ground to avoid them at will. He can also approach from impossible angles at incredible speeds because his quirk violently ejects him from inside whatever he's inside when he deactivates it.

Kirishima doesn't walk around hardened 100% of the time because it's a strain, so he just hit Kirishima from an unexpected angle very hard and very quickly.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Kanos posted:

Mirio's not vulnerable to big, omni-directional blasts as long as he's aware they're coming - he can simply drop into the ground to avoid them at will. He can also approach from impossible angles at incredible speeds because his quirk violently ejects him from inside whatever he's inside when he deactivates it.

Kirishima doesn't walk around hardened 100% of the time because it's a strain, so he just hit Kirishima from an unexpected angle very hard and very quickly.

He beat the entire crew in a few minutes. I assume Kirishima can use his ability for a few minutes, as evidence by every single time he uses his ability.

I would also assume Mirio punching Kirishima would hurt him more than Kirishima. Saying Mirio hit him hard and quickly doesn't change that.

My point is it'd be difficult for him to get a hit in without getting blasted by flame. He still has to be going slow enough for him to know where he's attacking, which is presumably something Endeavor could blast flames at. The way we've seen him fight is ALL feints and misdirection to get an opening but...there's not really an opening in a giant gout of fire.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 10, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I preferred scanslation Dabi's "The past never forgets" to real translation's "The past never dies", personally? He's trying to forget the past, but the past won't forget him.

Bigwinnie101
Jan 26, 2020

PMush Perfect posted:

I preferred scanslation Dabi's "The past never forgets" to real translation's "The past never dies", personally? He's trying to forget the past, but the past won't forget him.

Actually he isn't even forgetting his past. Thats what natsuo and Touya think he is doing but We have seen from Endevors POV and he remembers everything he has did, he is trying to make up for it but He never forgot all the bad poo poo he did

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

There's gotta be a good chance Deku's dad comes back after this very public display where his broken and battered body will be in full view of anyone watching.

Imagine seeing that on the effing news

There's no cameras where deku is. This entire shigaraki, deku, endeavor, dabi, etc etc etc clusterfuck is off camera

and even if there were, dabi's video has taken over all the airwaves!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Two Tone Shoes posted:

He beat the entire crew in a few minutes. I assume Kirishima can use his ability for a few minutes, as evidence by every single time he uses his ability.

I would also assume Mirio punching Kirishima would hurt him more than Kirishima. Saying Mirio hit him hard and quickly doesn't change that.

Assuming Kirishima wasn't one of the kids who Mirio floored in the first few seconds and thus never had a chance to react to in the first place (I don't feel like looking it up right now), Mirio also has those tricks like phasing partially into someone. Hardening your outside doesn't mean much when someone kidney punches you directly in your kidney.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Roland Jones posted:

Mirio also has those tricks like phasing partially into someone. Hardening your outside doesn't mean much when someone kidney punches you directly in your kidney.
I wonder if Mirio had people volunteer to test that trick out because it sounds like a nightmare to get right.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I am kinda curious why they showed poor uncomfortably powering up Eri right before everything went to poo poo. Would kinda suck if they use her for a deus ex machina to fix everybody.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

We’ve seen that you can just punch through Kirishima’s hardening. Rappa does it through sheer physical strength remember (his quirk just lets him move his shoulders quicker and rotate them more). Mirio is just that physically strong.

Also he can’t phase into people to punch them, I’m pretty sure he’d just glitch out of them like he glitches out of the floor. But he can use his floor glitching to hit people at sonic speeds with punches from below.

He would’ve beaten Overhaul on his own if not for his decision to put Eri’s safety above his own, which to be honest is the heroic move anyway. Remember he proceeds to continue fighting fifteen whole minutes on his own strength and agility after losing his quirk and he never once ends up exploded by Overhaul, nor does he allow Eri to take a single hit.

Sure he couldn’t have done anything against the High End, but that thing nearly killed Endeavour as it is and is not a normal villain. Before that fight Endeavour hadn’t ever had to push himself so hard, and likely neither had Hawks, so that isn’t a mark against the original statement. Mirio at the time was seen as more likely to achieve the number one spot than Endeavour, because he’s incredibly capable and personable.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 10, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Aurubin posted:

I am kinda curious why they showed poor uncomfortably powering up Eri right before everything went to poo poo. Would kinda suck if they use her for a deus ex machina to fix everybody.

I doubt she is capable of fixing the several hundred crippled or dead heroes around, but I could see her maybe saving Deku's arms if he's pushed those too far.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Time to introduce that Legendary Thief guy and use his Quirk to steal OFA.

Seriously that guy looks so cool I hope they go into more detail about him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Seriously that guy looks so cool I hope they go into more detail about him.

I get the feeling when we do get around to that guy, it'll involve his kid or a successor of some sort considering he was introduced alongside All For One and Destro, both of whom have had a successor of their own in this series.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I get the feeling when we do get around to that guy, it'll involve his kid or a successor of some sort considering he was introduced alongside All For One and Destro, both of whom have had a successor of their own in this series.

Well if we're doing mirrors and Shigaraki inherited both OFA and Destro's dream then Deku should get the Thief guy as well?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Kild posted:

Well if we're doing mirrors and Shigaraki inherited both OFA and Destro's dream then Deku should get the Thief guy as well?

ibn4 Compress is the thief guy's great-grandson or something

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kild posted:

Oh, so this is how we meet Deku's dad.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

We've already met him, he's just stolen those pages out of the manga.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The databook also describes him as a Robin Hood.

quote:

・It notes Harima was a thief who dressed in a peculiar costume. Says he mainly targeted the rich and gave the money he stole to the poor. Notes that although his actions were crimes, he was supported by some people

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Junpei posted:

ibn4 Compress is the thief guy's great-grandson or something

That or he’s gonna give Gentle a training arc or something.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

More colored chapters.

288. Save Takeo!

289. Miss Candid and Miss Shut-away

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
On break next week apparently.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Spoilers

The story with Touya's death seems to be that Endeavor recklessly taught him Prominence burn at an early age. Then he went into Endeavor's fireproof training room and used it without supervision. All that was found was a burnt jaw bone so they assumed he was dead. Also Endeavor tried for another Ice/Fire kid after Touya(which was Fuyumi) but when it didn't happen he decided to focus on Touya since he had more firepower than Endeavor(but not the body to handle it).
Anyway Dabi's video shows a DNA test to prove he's Endeavor's son and he shows a video of Hawks killing Twice, and he says Hawks killed Best Jeanist. It's also confirmed Hawks' dad was a villain. Endeavor is frozen in shock and Dabi jumps down at him but is stopped by a wire as Best Jeanist finally arrives.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 12, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You know I'm still not certain how old any of the Todoroki kids except for Shoto are supposed to be. The initial sense I got that it was Fuyumi, then Natsuo, then Touya, then Shoto.

It doesn't help that Dabi, looking past the burns and bootleg Black Jack grafts, looks to be no older than 18.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Funky Valentine posted:

You know I'm still not certain how old any of the Todoroki kids except for Shoto are supposed to be. The initial sense I got that it was Fuyumi, then Natsuo, then Touya, then Shoto.

It doesn't help that Dabi, looking past the burns and bootleg Black Jack grafts, looks to be no older than 18.

It's Touya, Fuyumi, Natsuo, Shoto. According to the wiki Fuyumi is 23, Natsuo is 19, and Shoto is 16. That would put Dabi in his mid-late twenties.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would assume he is 24 or 25.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

endeavor gave up really fast on #1, huh

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RatHat posted:

Spoilers

Anyway Dabi (...) says Hawks killed Best Jeanist.

Dabi jumps down at [Endeavor] but is stopped by a wire as Best Jeanist finally arrives.

There's the Dabi we shitpost about. :allears:

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I hate reading spoilers but lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

RatHat posted:

Spoilers

The story with Touya's death seems to be that Endeavor recklessly taught him Prominence burn at an early age. Then he went into Endeavor's fireproof training room and used it without supervision. All that was found was a burnt jaw bone so they assumed he was dead. Also Endeavor tried for another Ice/Fire kid after Touya(which was Fuyumi) but when it didn't happen he decided to focus on Touya since he had more firepower than Endeavor(but not the body to handle it).
Anyway Dabi's video shows a DNA test to prove he's Endeavor's son and he shows a video of Hawks killing Twice, and he says Hawks killed Best Jeanist. It's also confirmed Hawks' dad was a villain. Endeavor is frozen in shock and Dabi jumps down at him but is stopped by a wire as Best Jeanist finally arrives.

This is the content I crave.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this might be a controversial take, but Endeavor's transgression doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be? He taught him a technique he definitely should not have learned at such a young age, but Touya was reckless and burned himself to a crisp. I guess we'll have to see the pages and official translation to really get the details, but it's not as terrible as I kind of assumed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Carlosologist posted:

this might be a controversial take, but Endeavor's transgression doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be? He taught him a technique he definitely should not have learned at such a young age, but Touya was reckless and burned himself to a crisp. I guess we'll have to see the pages and official translation to really get the details, but it's not as terrible as I kind of assumed.

It’s also about how Endeavor pushed him to become a hero despite his frail body.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do we know what fuyumi and natsuo's quirks are? Do they mix fire and ice in any way or did they end up with some version of one element?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kingtheninja posted:

Do we know what fuyumi and natsuo's quirks are? Do they mix fire and ice in any way or did they end up with some version of one element?

Neither has been revealed but if you go by what their names mean(Fuyumi has the character for winter and Natsuo summer) then Fuyumi has an ice quirk and Natsuo a fire one.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 13, 2020