Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe they can spin this as Hawks thinking he was stabbing a clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rhonne posted:

With Best Jeanist alive, I think what we're actually going to end up with is a massively divided population between people upset with the hero system for failing to protect them and because of the actions of Endeavor and Hawks, and people who think the villains are just full of lies and that Twice deserved it. Again, you have a villain army rampaging through the country right now hurting and killing lots of innocent people, some people might not be that sympathetic towards one of their members getting killed by Hawks, even if he was running in fear. Still a pretty bad situation all around though.

Also, if he makes it out of this alive, Best Jeanist is probably going to be the new #1 hero for a while.

yeah a schism in society seems like it'd make sense. Give more unrest, will probably encourage some new scenarios and not just villains to deal with while shiggy is recovering

Public relations have seemed pretty shaky for a while, anyway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

rannum posted:

yeah a schism in society seems like it'd make sense. Give more unrest, will probably encourage some new scenarios and not just villains to deal with while shiggy is recovering

Public relations have seemed pretty shaky for a while, anyway.

Plus we already have precedent that there's a sizable portion of Japanese society that's totally down with the LXG. Only stands to reason they'd grow their audience with evidence of the #2 and the #1 being enormous fuckups

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
With Jeanist back I wonder if we're finally going to get Bakugo's hero name.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i unironically, given the world we live in, will not find it believable if the general population takes massive, society altering issue with hawks murdering twice, particularly in the immediate aftermath of

1. the very public destruction of kamino from a league of supervillains and a demigod that destroyed the embodiment of heroism live on tv
2. gigantomachia walking literally across half the country's cities
3. nearly every recognizable hero being maimed beyond recognition in the span of one attack

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

tbp posted:

i unironically, given the world we live in, will not find it believable if the general population takes massive, society altering issue with hawks murdering twice, particularly in the immediate aftermath of

1. the very public destruction of kamino from a league of supervillains and a demigod that destroyed the embodiment of heroism live on tv
3. nearly every recognizable hero being maimed beyond recognition in the span of one attack

I'm sure there'll be a "villains only escalated because heroes exist!" excuse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The unrealistic shonen super hero comic is probably of the opinion that stabbing a crying criminal in the back is in poor form.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

tbp posted:

I mean, 73 million people did vote for Trump, and a good chunk of them are seriously convinced he actually won the election and that the deadly pandemic isn’t real. Society suddenly hating heroes even though villains are obviously worse makes total sense to me. People are stupid.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This either goes one of two ways for me. The Villains get away without much more conflict and the world 'see's that the hero society has been in effect defeated.

Or the fight continues and Deku comes back into it and he gets the expectations of the country put on his shoulders.

Both options would be very interesting story wise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

:agreed:

Never trust a supervillain lol

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I seriously want to know if Japan has a military or a JDF or something in this setting. Gigantomachia and Shigaraki's actions are, at this point, ludicrously far beyond "criminals to be dealt with by a law enforcement organization" and are into "physical existential threat to the integrity of a country" territory, especially given that almost all of the most prominent and powerful members of said law enforcement organization are either horribly mangled or simply dead.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 14, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Fabricated posted:

Where else is he supposed to run? Hawks literally cut his muscles and bones so he could barely escape- this is in the text of the chapter. Hawks stabbed a terrified, mostly incapacitated guy in the back as he was desperately trying to get away from him.

Twice's stated intent was to turn the tide of the battle, which necessarily endangered the lives of many people. Hell, with the one clone he did make he stabbed a hero to death. It isn't about where he should or shouldn't have been running. It's about what he was unambiguously planning to do. Hawks killing him for it was categorically unheroic, which is why it's going to be used against hero society. But this isn't the same as an unarmed man running from the cops either.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Kanos posted:

I seriously want to know if Japan has a military or a JDF or something in this setting. Gigantomachia and Shigaraki's actions are, at this point, ludicrously far beyond "criminals to be dealt with by a law enforcement organization" and are into "physical existential threat to the integrity of a country" territory, especially given that almost all of the most prominent and powerful members of said law enforcement organization are either horribly mangled or simply dead.

I imagine, unless I'm seriously wrong, that the author is never going to address anything beyond there being a police force and associated heroes. Like at this point rationally you'd start calling for international aid, heroes or military. I imagine they're never going to go route of The Boys and talk about a military with superpowered people in it though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It hasn't been brought up yet but there's already an ICBM from Korea heading towards Shigaraki's forehead.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
It turns out every nation on Earth is too busy dealing with their own Shigaraki equivalent to help Japan.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mountaineer posted:

It turns out every nation on Earth is too busy dealing with their own Shigaraki equivalent to help Japan.

"Tomura Shigaraki: The Joker of Japanese Super-Villains."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

America is dealing with Darkseid, Europe is dealing with Doctor Doom, Wakanda got taken over by yet another despot who isn't Black Panther.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mountaineer posted:

Shin Godzilla has appeared in America during the current happenings of BNHA.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Funky Valentine posted:

America is dealing with Darkseid, Europe is dealing with Doctor Doom, Wakanda got taken over by yet another despot who isn't Black Panther.

Whoever is ruling Australia must be the most dangerous one alive.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't David Shield have a line in the Two Heroes movie about how things were real bad in America and they could really use All Might there?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mraagvpeine posted:

Whoever is ruling Australia must be the most dangerous one alive.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rhonne posted:

Didn't David Shield have a line in the Two Heroes movie about how things were real bad in America and they could really use All Might there?

Uh yeah, you picked up a newspaper recently? Gotta get All Might to Gary Indiana Smash the corona

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Now I'm imagining All Might doing a PSA on Corona safety precautions.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Endeavor tries to wear a mask but his beard burns it off.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Funky Valentine posted:

Endeavor tries to wear a mask but his beard burns it off.

Do we actually know why Endeavor does the fire beard and stache? Is it to train his Quirk by having it active at low levels for a long period of time? Did he decide it'd be part of his Hero Aesthetic? Intimidation tactic against villains?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Junpei posted:

Do we actually know why Endeavor does the fire beard and stache? Is it to train his Quirk by having it active at low levels for a long period of time? Did he decide it'd be part of his Hero Aesthetic? Intimidation tactic against villains?

Why not all of these. It is good training of his own heat/fire resistance, it makes for a pretty cool aesthetic, and I can imagine watching it flare up in real time is very intimidating.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Junpei posted:

Because it looks cool. And he keeps it on at almost all times, cause it shows his power and control over his quirk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The issue with the idea of Dabi being discredited is that, if Endeavor survives this (which is admittedly questionable), he would likely confirm the "allegations."

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei posted:

Iirc Horishiki actually said it’s for the flex in one of the volumes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I wonder, How much of Dabi's hatred of Shoto stems not from the fact Shoto was chosen over him, but also that Shoto didn't want it. Also, it really does explain why Fuyumi "Wants things to go back to the way they were and we can be a real family" She was actually alive for a period of time for Endeavour to be a decent father. For Natsu, Endeavour was always a distant rear end in a top hat who was the source of all things evil, for Shoto, he was this devil man of abuse, for Fuyumi, she actually has memories of him being a proper dad.

I really do love that the more information that gets revealed doesn't invalidate anything learned, but adds more context.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 15, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I like how, even though we have all this backstory now, there's still some very important information we're missing. Namely, what exactly happened the day of the "accident"? How did Touya/Dabi survive? How did he get away without anyone noticing? Who's jawbone is that?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Rhonne posted:

I like how, even though we have all this backstory now, there's still some very important information we're missing. Namely, what exactly happened the day of the "accident"? How did Touya/Dabi survive? How did he get away without anyone noticing? Who's jawbone is that?

Pretty sure it's his jawbone.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhonne posted:

It's super interesting because our assumption, especially going off Endeavours words when first discussing Touya, was that he'd pushed him into incinerating himself. But this chapter itself implies that Endeavour wasn't even around to witness it, and didn't want to believe his son was dead in the first place. Which makes me suspect this was Touya/Dabi being proactive. Which makes one wonder, was he trying to prove he could do it to his dad, or was he already planning to destroy Endeavour before burning himself. Was burning himself his decision to start his revenge?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I assumed it was Touya trying to prove he was capable of doing Prominence Burn to show his dad he was still worthy of being his successor after Shoto was born and demonstrated he had the exact combination of quirks Endeavor wanted with none of Touya's downsides. For all that Dabi claims he used to cry to Natsuo and beg to know why he was born, Endeavor sure seems to remember him eagerly participating in his training. Neither of them are reliable narrators at the moment but Dabi has more reason to play up the bad side of it on a public broadcast than Endeavor has reason to play up the good side in his own head.

Also re: Hawks, what's the likelihood that the Commission just kicks him to the curb and pretends he went rogue on them? Is that better or worse publicity than admitting that Hawks killed Twice under direct orders from them due to how dangerous his quirk was? Seems like they could pretty easily feign ignorance and pretend they had no idea what Hawks was doing and if his wings are permanently gone, he's of no use to them anymore as a hero. Depending on whether or not they told him to kill Best Jeanist and Hawks found another way or if they came up with the plan to fake his death, it seems like the Commission is pretty willing to discard people for 'the greater good'

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

jassa posted:

Well I guess that sets up some fun "my chin flap ripped so here's my no jaw bone tongue flailing around" body horror Hori has probably been excited to draw for a very long time

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

jassa posted:

That's very probable, but it also raises the question of how he survived losing his jaw and who fixed him up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

291 official: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-291/chapter/21569?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007930

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Looking back, no wonder Dabi wasn't too torn up about Twice death. He was able to use that in his plan in the end.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
From Endeavor's POV, it sounded like Rei was the one who wanted more children to begin with, and plural so she probably wasn't just thinking of stopping at Fuyumi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
lol at the League being surprised Dabi didn’t share any of this. Maybe they’ll finally catch on that they’re as close to Dabi as he is to the pizza delivery boy.