Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How the gently caress would duo end up being a bad dad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Duo unhappily(?) marries Hilde and maybe(???) knocks her up but she doesn't remember(??????). So now there's a kid called Duo jr in her orphanage while Duo Sr rides around Mars on his motorcycle and does deadbeat maybe dad motorcycle stuff until Heero reanimates. Duo Jr is super into Zechs's daughter, and I think they're ones in the next gen love triangle with new Trowa instead of genderswapped cloneQuatre and Zechs's kid.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

My favourite name from Gundam OO is Healing Care, because she was a captain in the military so they called her Captain Care like she was the leader of the loving care bears

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, the Build Divers Battlogue has started.

So far, it is very, very stupid.

I mean this in the most positive sense.

Edit: gently caress yes. They're actually going for Freedom Vs. Barbatos.

Of course, then they give us a Rocky III blue-balling, but hey.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 13, 2020

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, the Build Divers Battlogue has started.

So far, it is very, very stupid.

I mean this in the most positive sense.

Edit: gently caress yes. They're actually going for Freedom Vs. Barbatos.

Of course, then they give us a Rocky III blue-balling, but hey.

Is that book Freddie's holding a real thing?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Blaze Dragon posted:

Better choreography for all except the Heavyarms. The Heavyarms must keep its original stock footage. Not even converted to HD, exactly the same.

“I know that fighting style... No doubt, that’s Trowa!”

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Is that book Freddie's holding a real thing?

Quoting myself because it seems like the answer is no, they show the ISBN for it (979-4-0079-0080-7) but that doesn't seem to be a real book. I assume it's a joke, based on the one year war in the middle?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That Battlogue was a lot of fun. I appreciated all the IBO love, and Kyoya's stunt with that DRAGOON pod was sicknasty.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Quoting myself because it seems like the answer is no, they show the ISBN for it (979-4-0079-0080-7) but that doesn't seem to be a real book. I assume it's a joke, based on the one year war in the middle?

I'd bet on it. The design is reminiscent of real Gundam worldbooks, but Patrick being the only character on the cover is a strong hint that it's more injoke than reality.

Also, notice how the only one of the original Build Divers protagonists to show up is Ayame. Seems that Bandai picked up on fan reaction pretty well.

Kinda expected something in the way of an announcement about future plans at the end of this. Guess it'll still be a bit before we see what the next Gundam tv anime is going to be.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm not entirely familiar with Frozen Teardrop and as much as I like the idea of an adaptation in the context of "more Wing" what it seems to do in terms of the original cast and reusing their designs 1:1 for their children is probably really unpleasant.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Duo unhappily(?) marries Hilde and maybe(???) knocks her up but she doesn't remember(??????). So now there's a kid called Duo jr in her orphanage while Duo Sr rides around Mars on his motorcycle and does deadbeat maybe dad motorcycle stuff until Heero reanimates.

Confirmed that Duo Maxwell loving rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol at the champ going SEED mode

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

lol at the champ going SEED mode

TBF, it was only after Hiroto decided to activate Crippling Brain Damage Mode.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Duo unhappily(?) marries Hilde and maybe(???) knocks her up but she doesn't remember(??????). So now there's a kid called Duo jr in her orphanage while Duo Sr rides around Mars on his motorcycle and does deadbeat maybe dad motorcycle stuff until Heero reanimates. Duo Jr is super into Zechs's daughter, and I think they're ones in the next gen love triangle with new Trowa instead of genderswapped cloneQuatre and Zechs's kid.

You missed the part where he's a (highly dubious) priest and also a bounty hunter. FT Father Maxwell is hilarious and rules.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That was delightfully dumb. :3:

Definitely want more Captain Zeon in G Gundam suits. His level of camp suits it. Also Kazami God Finger bootleg.

May complaining about the Neo Zeong II's mobility, then flattening Magee was funny.

Really wish we could have seen the outcome of Barbatos vs Strike Freedom. Somehow I think the AV is kinda on brand for Hiroto, but I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it's the foil of how we first see him sacrificing others to accomplish a goal to now where he's fine with risking himself for it?

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 13, 2020

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Freddy commentating the fight and stumbling through the pronunciation of the mobile suits with the aid of a Gundam encyclopedia was just so :3: I want to see him go into GBN though realistically that would probably result in his body getting disintegrated.

The return of the Sombrero One-Eye!

Bandai knows what's up with the Gundam Vs debate fanbase with the Barbatos vs Strike Freedom fight. Definitely got cliff-hangered at the end of the fight, though. Couldn't they have continued it on for just a bit longer?

Also, does anyone know why the Core Gundam was in Cuadorn's room if Hiroto was in GBN at the time?

Warmachine posted:

That was delightfully dumb. :3:

Somehow I think the AV is kinda on brand for Hiroto, but I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it's the foil of how we first see him sacrificing others to accomplish a goal to now where he's fine with risking himself for it?

I think it's because he looks like a Gundam Valhalla version of Mika. I do remember people going on about how Hiroto's GBN avatar looked like Mikazuki back when the ReRise character art first came out. Maybe Bandai decided to make a little joke out of that?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want it.

https://twitter.com/DkunDX/status/1326727093770653696

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Tri-corrned hats do not work that way. He's going to be wet face Gundam.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

quote:

He overcomes most problems with his force of personality.

Which is usually code for "rear end in a top hat". That aside, I love the hat/head but I hate how busy the entire rest of the body is. It's so visually cluttered, and that seems to be a problem with SD designs in general unfortunately.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

If I wanted to get started watching Gundam stuff, is there any recommended, uh, intro to it? Should I just watch the series chronologically and see if it sticks? If I wanted to watch the latest series, any series I should watch first to get familiar with the setting?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The original mobile suit gundam compilation movies are the best start. If you like them you can watch the whole msg series, head onto zeta and double zeta, or explore the side stories set in the one year war like war in the pocket and 08th ms team.

I wouldn't start with the au's as most of them lean heavily on expectations and tropes created during the original series timelines.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Beamed posted:

If I wanted to get started watching Gundam stuff, is there any recommended, uh, intro to it? Should I just watch the series chronologically and see if it sticks? If I wanted to watch the latest series, any series I should watch first to get familiar with the setting?

Aside from the UC stuff, everything is pretty self contained. G Gundam, Wing, X, Seed, 00, and IBO are all self contained. Feel free to pick whichever you think has the coolest premise--IBO is generally agreed to be one of the most solid, followed by 00 S1 and G Gundam. OG Seed is best described as inoffensive, while Destiny takes an interesting premise and runs it right into the ground.

Turn A is some of the hands down best Gundam, but you really benefit from being familiar with UC Gundam, G Gundam, Wing, and X first (basically ever pre 1999 release). G Reco is kinda another pass at Turn A as I recall, but Turn A does a much better job. G Reco has really pretty art though. And cute eye catches.

AGE, on the other hand, is some of the worst, and whenever this question is asked I forget it exists because I'm doing my level best to memory hole it.

As for the UC... you're almost certainly aware that 0079 came out in 1979, and the animation shows its age. It's still good, in the same way Star Wars ANH is still good--both were made on shoestrings and became smash hit multi-billion dollar franchises that are cultural icons, but might not be the best hook for a newbie.

0080 is generally good for getting the premises of the UC down: Good animation, good story, good music. If you want something modern with a blank check for a budget, there's Unicorn: very flashy, but the story and characters could be hit or miss. Both can be good as hooks, since 0080 can stand on general quality, Unicorn on animation, and both are just far enough removed from the main plot of the UC to be accessible to first timers.

Apropos nothing, I'd say watch IBO, G Gundam, and your choice of Unicorn or 0080 before jumping into the mainline UC. Choose Unicorn if you want to treat everything else as kind of a "how did we get here?" story and choose 0080 if you want to start off with a small scale story, then expand to the larger war and ideological conflicts.

Char's Counterattack is a must-watch, but only after you're familiar with what goes down in 0079 and Zeta (and ZZ, but ZZ isn't really necessary since CCA doesn't really call on much from there)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thunderbolt: December Sky is a gorgeous OVA that’s well-animated and self-contained though the Thunderbolt story continues beyond it if you want to follow it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beamed posted:

if you wanted to watch the latest tv series, ibo is the latest 'mainline' one and is completely standalone and its own setting disconnected from everything else.

and really, once you've seen the original 0079 you're basically good to watch any UC stuff.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Isn't Build Divers the latest mainline one now? Just going by semantics ofc.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zedd posted:

Isn't Build Divers the latest mainline one now? Just going by semantics ofc.

The entire Build series is separate from the mainline shows because they're a meta-series set in the "real world" where Gundam exists as a popular IP.

They could do the same premise with totally original mech designs and have it count, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Beamed posted:

I'd actually recommend watching the original TV series alongside the fantastic Mobile Suit Breakdown podcast: https://gundampodcast.com/

I didn't actually enjoy the compilation movies half as much as actually going through the series itself, and the original series is pretty great. The podcast does a great job of explaining cool poo poo like the historical context of the series, or going really into the intricacies of language and translation in certain scenes or episode titles. It's a fantastic fine-tooth comb approach that doesn't drag its heels explaining the base events of each episode too long.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I watched the series more-or-less in production order and that worked for me.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That battalogue was fun even though I've never watched any of the Build Divers stuff. Neat little suit vignette, was cool to see some of those favorites animated again.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

That battalogue was fun even though I've never watched any of the Build Divers stuff. Neat little suit vignette, was cool to see some of those favorites animated again.

Re:Rise is worth the watch. They did a good job of making a character show about the characters and their growth.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Re:Rise is worth the watch. They did a good job of making a character show about the characters and their growth.

Yeah. It also has some pretty great fights within its reduced budget, especially in the second half.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've started the first episode of IBO.

Pretty clunky exposition so far but at least they set up the whole expendable child soldiers angle pretty well. And I loke how Mikazuki is so focused on combat that he barely talks and just kills things without being a single-minded murder golem. Kudelia was rather dull and whatever to me but I liked Mikazuki telling her to gently caress off with her half assed "we're equals" gesture.

And now onto episode 2 and the fights are starting.

I really want to snip Orga's droopy hair strand.

Its definitely a more "anime" anime than UC shows and its not just the hair.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 15, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah episode 1 tries to get a lot in at once, but I have a newfound appreciation for rapid fire exposition after the first episode of MSG Zeta, which just reads like an insane fever dream.

And yeah, Mika owns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Barbatos has good taste in ranged weapons. That howitzer is straight out of the RX-79G's armoury.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
IBO imo a great balance of combat/downtime that I always appreciated. It was nice having time to decompress from stuff and the cast got to breathe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think they have combs on Mars.

I dont know if Mikazuki's complete non reaction to things is meant to be disturbing or funny but it's darkly comedic when he just shoots people or ignores politics. The more flashy and cute "anime" visuals of the character designs makes for a pretty interesting juxtaposition with just how hosed up it is to send tweens into combat at PMCs.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 15, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dont think they have combs on Mars.

I dont know if Mikazuki's complete non reaction to things is meant to be disturbing or funny but it's darkly comedic when he just shoots people or ignores politics. The more flashy and cute "anime" visuals of the character designs makes a pretty interesting dissonance with just how hosed up it is to send tweens into combat at PMCs.

Yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ep 7.

Ohhhhkay then. Straight into the T&A aren't we?

I was hoping when I said it was more anime than UC shows that we wouldn't be going into harem territory.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 15, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ep 7.

Ohhhhkay then. Straight into the T&A aren't we?

I was hoping when I said it was more anime than UC shows that we wouldn't be going into harem territory.

Ah, you've hit the oft debated Turbines section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The turbines are clunkily executed but the actual main romance with Mika is actually very well executed because it's not really a harem so much as just a polyamory thing that everyone is onboard for. If anything it's handled pretty maturely.