Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
poo poo, I remember people hoping four years ago that 'faithless electors' would do the 'right thing' and not give their EC votes to Trump. At the time, the logic went 'the EC should go, but since we have it, one of the whole points of it is to act as a check on this sort of bullshit.'

I also remember back when Bush Junior's team took over the White House, they floated a bullshit story about Clinton's outgoing team trashing the place, cutting phone and network cables, popping the 'W' keys off of keyboards, and generally being dicks. I recall there was a brand new congresscritter who didn't get the memo and actually pushed through a congressional investigation of the allegations, which, of course, were utter fabrications. But I can certainly see some True Trumpers doing exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

But good job on the Return of the Jedi Jub Jub party in the streets, everyone! We Got Him! :jerkbag:

Yeah, how dare people celebrate something they're passionate about in the most basic manner while still observing at least some modicum of safety after months of self restraint. You'd swear they were human or something, giving in to their nature like that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's Yub Nub you pleb.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
“The mad king president is replacing the top pentagon officials so that he can fire sale the government,” he tells himself as he sweats through four layers of clothing

This is really Cool, and Normal, and Doesn’t Happen Here

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
They've produced an anonymous Nevada poll worker who supposedly witnessed voter fraud taking place in broad daylight outside within walking distance of a polling place. This is how it begins, I guess.

It sounds fishy. Ridiculous, even.

Trump is gonna win. Prove me wrong, universe.

Please.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

pwn posted:

“The mad king president is replacing the top pentagon officials so that he can fire sale the government,” he tells himself as he sweats through four layers of clothing

This is really Cool, and Normal, and Doesn’t Happen Here

I...uhhh...yes? :yikes:

tarlibone posted:

They've produced an anonymous Nevada poll worker who supposedly witnessed voter fraud taking place in broad daylight outside within walking distance of a polling place. This is how it begins, I guess.

It sounds fishy. Ridiculous, even.

Trump is gonna win. Prove me wrong, universe.

Please.

The USPS guy already got debunked, and with the governor of Texas offering a million bucks, I think it's safe to say there was no fraud.

tsob posted:

Yeah, how dare people celebrate something they're passionate about in the most basic manner while still observing at least some modicum of safety after months of self restraint. You'd swear they were human or something, giving in to their nature like that.

People around my city were definitely not observing a modicum of safety, and the videos I saw from around the country were no better. Some people were wearing masks in NYC, but the majority of people I saw were out day-drinking, maskless.
:shrug:

..and I still think it's premature because, like I said, we still have ~70 days and can't wait that long to begin addressing our multiple, ongoing crises...

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's Yub Nub you pleb.

:smithicide:
my only regert

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Adam Driver! :swoon:

I can't believe they got him to say stan lmao

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Good ending. :hmmyes:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it's really a shame that Adam Driver doesn't do comedy often because he's really funny but he always plays these deeply serious characters

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DC Murderverse posted:

it's really a shame that Adam Driver doesn't do comedy often because he's really funny but he always plays these deeply serious characters

His SNL was amazing and produced one of my favorite sketches ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HD2xG92-0

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
MARS, BRINGER OF WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If only Henchman 21 and Henchman 24 were there to help John out when the music started....

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
As soon as John went to the door to open it I was really hoping that it would have just been locked so he had to stay in the void. But you know, they have to do something with that HBO budget so I wasn't surprised to see them blow something up.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

His SNL was amazing and produced one of my favorite sketches ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HD2xG92-0

I love it when the cast makes the guest star corpse, but it's sublime when the guest star makes the cast corpse.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

DC Murderverse posted:

He's amazing alongside Bill Murray in The Dead Don't Die.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Is it just me or did some of that explosion/2020 display look cg?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Bit of both, the shadows mostly give it away. It's probably a mix of practical explosions with a miniature and CGI on top.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ignis posted:

Bit of both, the shadows mostly give it away. It's probably a mix of practical explosions with a miniature and CGI on top.

why go to a rock quarry if you're not gonna make big boom? :thunk:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

TheCenturion posted:

I love it when the cast makes the guest star corpse, but it's sublime when the guest star makes the cast corpse.

Oh, I hate the episodes where the host is dead weight. Like, when they bring in pro-athletes or non-acting musicians and every scene is just using them as a prop.

But hell yeah, when they bring in genuinely talented actors who loving crush it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Great ending. Now the long slog til February. :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm really not a fan of blaming the numbered year itself for what happens. Especially when so much is directly the result of what was done in the previous years. People should be making more hindsight jokes.

Also I feel like the primary reason republicans are encouraging Trump is because they already openly planned on doing literally anything they could to fight against any possible governance being done if they couldn't control it, so obviously they're going to play hardball as long as they can. The prospect of potentially just ignoring the election probably also makes them jizz their pants, so if there is actually a chance to kill the country dead, they'll take it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm really not a fan of blaming the numbered year itself for what happens. Especially when so much is directly the result of what was done in the previous years. People should be making more hindsight jokes.

Also I feel like the primary reason republicans are encouraging Trump is because they already openly planned on doing literally anything they could to fight against any possible governance being done if they couldn't control it, so obviously they're going to play hardball as long as they can. The prospect of potentially just ignoring the election probably also makes them jizz their pants, so if there is actually a chance to kill the country dead, they'll take it.

Yeah I don't think they actually expect it to work, but they also know that they will face exactly zero consequences for trying.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, it's almost like the year 2020 had something particularly bad that just took up everyone's attention, energy, and mental health, which affected folks' ability to riff on hindsight jokes.

To wit, I think I started a chat thread in TFR, maybe the January one, and the idea was, the year of hindsight. Because 2020. Hindsight.

Then Trump welcomed Pestilence and invited him to stick around for a while, and... that's pretty much occupied people minds for some reason. Who knows. Maybe when plague ends, we'll look back on this year and try to figure out why the year as a whole seems less like just another straw on the backs of the proletariat and more like a vengeful, living thing that, were human misery reducible to a simple integer, would be an outlier on pretty much any chart you could come up with. And that would be hindsight!

Covid didn't really the direct result of what was done in previous years. The political turmoil and election nonsense? Yep. That alone would have been what you're suggesting, but Covid isn't, unless you're talking about international travel and the constant evolution of disease in general. Covid is the thing that took what was going to be a bad year anyway and threw it into a shitshow that, I think, justifies a little morbidly playful anthropomorphization so that we can explode it in effigy. If Covid had hit us in the middle of last year, or in the middle of this year? Maybe it's not something we identify with 2020. But it hit us in the beginning of the year, and it hasn't relented.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 17, 2020

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, they honestly don't risk much by having this approach. It seems like one lesson of this election is that although Trump is deeply hated by more than half the country, that resentment doesn't actually flow down-ballot that much. Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell were uniquely lovely enablers, they were the focus of massive national efforts to be unseated, and they held onto their seats...their actual constituencies are either neutral or positive on their relationship to Trump's delusional bullshit, and that's all that matters.

So, barring open calls for violent insurrection, what's the political cost to them for encouraging Trump as they have? "If there's fraud, let's look for it," or "Trump has a right to question the results," are nothing statements. If it leads to Trump winning by voter suppression, good. If it doesn't, who cares? Their base is placated that they "supported Trump," people who already hated them still hate them, and they still get paid regardless of the outcome.

People like Mitch McConnell have always been craven opportunists. I'm sure they all know the fraud claims are bullshit, but they have power to gain if the grift works, and nothing to lose if it doesn't. "Integrity" is an irrelevant concept.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Wait a second... All this talk this year about a featureless white void-- what if John is a Janet in disguise?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Well nevermind, looks like the quarry prop was 1:1 after all. It was filmed at a quarry in Salisbury Mills, NY.

https://twitter.com/OscarRivas/status/1328509011134722048/photo/1
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHqo224Jst-/

I still think it's not 100% practical, those shadows were definitely CGI enhanced and the explosion was probably enhanced as well for the drone shots. And no way John was standing that close to the explosion, he's a flinchy person.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 17, 2020

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Ignis posted:

https://twitter.com/OscarRivas/status/1328509011134722048/photo/1
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHqo224Jst-/

I still think it's not 100% practical, those shadows were definitely CGI enhanced and the explosion was probably enhanced as well for the drone shots. And no way John was standing that close to the explosion, he's a flinchy person.
the shadows were real, they just looked uncanny because the edges of the structure were accented by the neon lights seen in the quoted photograph

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

Covid didn't really the direct result of what was done in previous years. The political turmoil and election nonsense? Yep. That alone would have been what you're suggesting, but Covid isn't, unless you're talking about international travel and the constant evolution of disease in general. Covid is the thing that took what was going to be a bad year anyway and threw it into a shitshow that, I think, justifies a little morbidly playful anthropomorphization so that we can explode it in effigy. If Covid had hit us in the middle of last year, or in the middle of this year? Maybe it's not something we identify with 2020. But it hit us in the beginning of the year, and it hasn't relented.

The coronavirus itself obviously wasn't a result of the previous decades of us politics. The outcome however, with the US being hit the worst from it, be it cases/deaths/unemployment etc. however absolutely is.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

DC Murderverse posted:

Logan Lucky is a profoundly underrated movie

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
For a “fun” game, imagine the alternate timeline where President Clinton conceded the election last week to whatever Trump-but-competent horror emerged from the mists this cycle after being drubbed for the nearly 2 dozen American COVID-19 deaths on her watch, and the draconian lockdowns she instituted back in January that mildly inconvenienced American travelers but few others, about which FOX News et al screamed about like Benghazi times 100 for the past year.

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 17, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

Covid didn't really the direct result of what was done in previous years.
Well...

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Wait a second... All this talk this year about a featureless white void-- what if John is a Janet in disguise?
I did think, when he got up from the desk and started walking around, that it would be pretty funny if it turned out he'd been in Janet's void the whole time and she was there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

pwn posted:

For a “fun” game, imagine the alternate timeline where President Clinton conceded the election last week to whatever Trump-but-competent horror emerged from the mists this cycle after being drubbed for the nearly 2 dozen American COVID-19 deaths on her watch, and the draconian lockdowns she instituted back in January that mildly inconvenienced American travelers but few others, about which FOX News et al screamed about like Benghazi times 100 for the past year.

While I hate playing devils advocate for Trump, it's note like Clinton would have been able to enforce an absolute lockdown for half a year, where no person might enter the country for any reason. Due the global prevalence, the virus would have still bit the US quite severely.

But Trumps decisions made it at least one order of magnitude worse.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
With Clinton, we might have gotten troughs between waves. But those waves would still represent more than a couple dozen deaths.

At best, we'd be hanging in there with Europe. And, the news hasn't been covering it thoroughly because of the domestic stories taking priority, but Europe is reeling right now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
With Clinton advocating social distancing and masks, chuds would be going out and literally passing lollipops from person to person in large protests.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the biggest thing that went wrong was disbanding the CDC's epidemic response team for no reason in 2018, although the specific incompetence in the earliest stages of the outbreak also helped to assure that it would turn into a full pandemic.

I don't know all the details of what could've been done, but I do know that I've seen people who do know most of the details saying that the need for a lockdown could've been averted with a better earlier response.

And while the far-right cults were pretty active under Obama, they still weren't so directly self-destructive. It took the leadership of Trump to lull them all further into their own little news bubbles so that every news story is somehow a direct plot against their favorite pissboy. If they cared more generally about the wellbeing of society as a whole, they wouldn't be in the far right. Having a golden idol who they could directly sympathize with really galvanized them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Countries with much smaller economies have had far better responses. The US response was intentionally bad: while publicly saying it was no big deal, Trump and his congressional allies were telling their donors and attendees to $10k/plate fundraisers, back in January/February mind you, to prepare for the end of the world and sell their stocks in droves...

Just to be perfectly clear: if the US had the same mortality rate as South Korea more than 250,000 Americans would still be alive.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Less than 250k have died in total from corona

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Azhais posted:

Less than 250k have died in total from corona

The actual number is definitely higher than the official count.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The actual number is definitely higher than the official count.

Yep. As of October the US had 300,000 deaths above average, and it's likely almost all of that is covid. They're only recording deaths from covid when that is the known cause through tests, and plenty of people aren't getting tests. The official count is the lowest end estimate. We'll be at half a million by the end of the year, I would wager.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also, just read my post in, like, five more days if you want it to be pedantically true with the official numbers. :nallears::hf::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. As of October the US had 300,000 deaths above average, and it's likely almost all of that is covid. They're only recording deaths from covid when that is the known cause through tests, and plenty of people aren't getting tests. The official count is the lowest end estimate. We'll be at half a million by the end of the year, I would wager.

Yea definitely. Also, it's hard to quantify deaths from non-covid stuff, where due to resources someone has died when they otherwise might not have if bedspace/etc was available.