Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I guess my main question now is - at what point in the trilogy does Kelsier die? Now that I know that this happens, I’m just wondering if I’m going to be waiting a few chapters of a few books. Personally I hope it’s like mid way through book one in like an Obi Wan sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mordiceius posted:

I guess my main question now is - at what point in the trilogy does Kelsier die? Now that I know that this happens, I’m just wondering if I’m going to be waiting a few chapters of a few books. Personally I hope it’s like mid way through book one in like an Obi Wan sort of way.

Book 0001, chapter 0034. But I'll also tell you that there are nearly half a dozen more books in the series past the original trilogy, and this character continues to be relevant as some, none, or all of the following: flashback, force ghost, reincarnation, resurrected cyborg, long-lost identical twin, and flat-out retcon. (It's all of them.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there an actual good history of Poland-Lithuania?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was thrilled when I found all nine Sjöwall / Wahlöö "Roman om ett brott" novels for 1€ a piece at the Red Cross flea market, and in excellent condition.

I was less thrilled when it hit me while walking back home that there are actually ten novels in the series :(

e: Oh I didn't know there was even an American movie adaptation. Now I do because I looked up which book I was missing on Wikipedia.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 31, 2020

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was thrilled when I found all nine Sjöwall / Wahlöö "Roman om ett brott" novels for 1€ a piece at the Red Cross flea market, and in excellent condition.

I was less thrilled when it hit me while walking back home that there are actually ten novels in the series :(

e: Oh I didn't know there was even an American movie adaptation. Now I do because I looked up which book I was missing on Wikipedia.

I stopped reading after book four or five anyway because they were really bad. Like, really bad. I wonder if the american movie is good, Bo Widerbergs the Man On the Roof is one of very few good swedish action movies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Syncopated posted:

I stopped reading after book four or five anyway because they were really bad. Like, really bad. I wonder if the american movie is good, Bo Widerbergs the Man On the Roof is one of very few good swedish action movies.

They seem to be almost universally liked - what didn't you like about them? (I've only read two Finnish translations we had at home when I was a kid and I can't say I really remember anything about them - but I don't remember hating them.)

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They seem to be almost universally liked - what didn't you like about them? (I've only read two Finnish translations we had at home when I was a kid and I can't say I really remember anything about them - but I don't remember hating them.)

My mistake with the wording, I thought they were fine until book four or five, then the plots become too overwrought and I got tired of the sex stuff - every book goes into some younger womans sex life and how casual and chill she is about sleeping around and so on. Which is fine by itself of course but it got to me somehow when the same plot point kept returning.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Syncopated posted:

My mistake with the wording, I thought they were fine until book four or five, then the plots become too overwrought and I got tired of the sex stuff - every book goes into some younger womans sex life and how casual and chill she is about sleeping around and so on. Which is fine by itself of course but it got to me somehow when the same plot point kept returning.

That seems like a running theme in Nordic (and also German, from what I've seen) crime fiction of that vintage.

e: Spotted in a book shop ad on Facebook, why is a pony book for kids who like horses called THE CRUSHING DEFEAT OF THE WILL?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 2, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1323772913812721664?s=20

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there not a cover thread? I realize covers are not books, but they're quite book-adjacent. Anyway:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's... real? (Do they mean plosives?)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's... real? (Do they mean plosives?)

It's a lot less entertaining if you know the truth but if you must yes it's a 1976 novel about a young lady who stutters

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's a lot less entertaining if you know the truth but if you must yes it's a 1976 novel about a young lady who stutters

They make fun of her so she loving nukes them :mmmhmm:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Spotted in a book shop ad on Facebook, why is a pony book for kids who like horses called THE CRUSHING DEFEAT OF THE WILL?

Welcome to Finland.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/SarahPinsker/status/1325920273502187521?s=09

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

"I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them, as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when they begot me; had they duly considered how much depended upon what they were then doing;—that not only the production of a rational Being was concerned in it, but that possibly the happy formation and temperature of his body, perhaps his genius and the very cast of his mind;—and, for aught they knew to the contrary, even the fortunes of his whole house might take their turn from the humours and dispositions which were then uppermost:—Had they duly weighed and considered all this, and proceeded accordingly,—I am verily persuaded I should have made a quite different figure in the world, from that, in which the reader is likely to see me."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/Peterhouse_Cam/status/1326171393822760968?s=20

I thought I was a Powys Mathers fan and I hadn't even heard of this

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I want to read a Vonnegut book I haven’t already read so here’s a question:

Player Piano or Galapagos?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Player Piano then Galapagos.

Piano is the better work but Galapagos has strong moments.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Rolo posted:

I want to read a Vonnegut book I haven’t already read so here’s a question:

Player Piano or Galapagos?

How much automation do you deal with in your work environment?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A fair amount!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Rolo posted:

A fair amount!

Player Piano then Galapagos. Player Piano is a very strong work against themes of automation, inevitability, and reason for being. Galapagos has some beautiful moments but is a bit more ungrounded.

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 13, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Imo you can't really go wrong with Vonnegut

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’d say, in general, you should read Timequake last, though

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Rolo posted:

A fair amount!

Player Piano.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

its probably my favourite Vonnegut

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Carthag Tuek posted:

Imo you can't really go wrong with Vonnegut

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My favourite Vonnegut is The Sirens of Titan

Sandwolf posted:

I’d say, in general, you should read Timequake last, though
I haven't read Timequake yet, is there a reason to leave it last or is that spoilers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i just read Cat's Cradle for the first time, somehow I'd missed it

Not as good as Slaughterhouse or Mother Night, but still way up there

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sirens of Titan is objectively the best one, but the truly best one is the one you like the best, and also all of them, because all Vonnegut is good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

it is that one and those ones, very much

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

bowmore posted:

My favourite Vonnegut is The Sirens of Titan
I haven't read Timequake yet, is there a reason to leave it last or is that spoilers

imho it just sort of feels like the culmination of his own style and I think it’s a bit more appreciable when you’ve read (at least a majority of) his other work. Hocus Pocus also feels like a late attempt to return more to the style of PP, and equally whips rear end

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

i just read Cat's Cradle for the first time, somehow I'd missed it

Not as good as Slaughterhouse or Mother Night, but still way up there

These are also my favourite

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mother Night is probably in my top 5 of all books and definitely my favorite Vonnegut.

Also don’t skip Bluebeard, I really love it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is this... is this cover descriptive of the contents?

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I've been reading Gravity's Rainbow, and while I like it, it definitely helps with understanding to have people to talk to about it to organize and work through thoughts about it as I go. Is there not a Pynchon thread?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Strelok604 posted:

I've been reading Gravity's Rainbow, and while I like it, it definitely helps with understanding to have people to talk to about it to organize and work through thoughts about it as I go. Is there not a Pynchon thread?

There was a postmodern thread but I think it autoarchived some time ago. Start a new one!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just finished La pell freda by Sánchez Piñol and it's the best novel about cucking a German with a frog that I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/sfwa/status/1329167580091727872?s=20