Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

The guiding principle of the Republican Party for the last 40 years is "The scariest words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'". I don't mean that figuratively, I mean they've internalized the quip like some people internalize viral tweets or slogans and use that as the basis for their entire theory of government.

I know people that say this as if it’s the gods honest truth and I just cannot understand how they accept it without any analysis.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So that's why they wanted no-knock warrants.

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not doing analysis on thoughts is also a prerequisite for being a conservative.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Not doing analysis on thoughts is also a prerequisite for being a conservative.

But they're doctors and lawyers and educated people! They analyze everything else! It's insanely frustrating.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stage 4 baby

https://www.statesman.com/news/20201119/austin-travis-county-officials-increase-coronavirus-restrictions-to-stage-4

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

But they're doctors and lawyers and educated people! They analyze everything else! It's insanely frustrating.

They're aware of how much of a hassle it is to pay taxes and they're given the general impression that all that money goes to pay the drat dirty poors who are only poor because they're so lazy.

They don't pay attention to the people who intentionally make taxes harder to pay in order to use frustration over them to conjure more followers, and they think that whenever there's a government program that gives them an advantage, they're cleverly taking advantage over it rather than being given it out of kindness.

Also roads, schools, social security checks, and medicare are all naturally occurring phenomena that the dang ol' government keeps getting in the way of.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ben Carson is a loving brain surgeon.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I know, I'm just mad about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1329509893682982913

Ah of course, this is no big deal, we'll all just simply start complying with all the social distancing and masking rules that the Republican party keeps suing itself to stop, easy as pie. It's worked so well so far.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1329513125666844672

The more he says this the more it's going to happen. When what's happening in El Paso is happening in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, by christmas we'll see what he says. (he's already hedging, yesterday it was "no lockdowns" today it's "no statewide shutdown")

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 19, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dang Abbott sucks so much. Just really worthless. Amazing how lovely actually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also we're going to pass 20k deaths when the state releases numbers, if not today then tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1329513925319274498

Mitigation steps
They're easy to see
Once you solve
My riddles three

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Has anyone tried tricking him into saying Ttobba Gerg?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Ben Carson is a loving brain surgeon.

LOL, and 70 million people voted for Trump.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1329469824171466753

I mean, I'm not surprised at all but I wonder if we'll ever know just how bad it was during all this

We'll probably find out eventually once someone requests (or sues) under whatever the Texas version of FOIA is.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Captain Monkey posted:

There is all the difference in the world between being credentialed, and being wise or moral.

A friend of mine's brother graduated from UT Austin with a degree in economics. He genuinely thinks that the American healthcare system is not appreciably different in efficacy or efficiency from those in other countries, even as he is currently unemployed. I don't know what they did to his head but this kind of poo poo is not a 'normal' view.

Admittedly maybe this is more a problem with economics as a discipline, but still.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 19, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the only person i know with an economics degree from ut austin is a krav maga instructor

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

zoux posted:

What's it looking like out there, West Texas people

Weather is alright, why do you ask?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like covid-wise

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

zoux posted:

Like covid-wise

Bad, I think, but I don't know how we stack up compared to the rest of the state. Like 20% of the people in the hospitals in Odessa are there for Coivd, if I read a blurb the other day correctly. I know that's not good, but I don't know how bad it is. I know a lot of people I know from church seem to be getting sick lately.

The Odessa city council keeps issuing stern warnings for everyone to be safe, but hasn't been able to agree whether to do a mask mandate yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Dog posted:

Bad, I think, but I don't know how we stack up compared to the rest of the state. Like 20% of the people in the hospitals in Odessa are there for Coivd, if I read a blurb the other day correctly. I know that's not good, but I don't know how bad it is. I know a lot of people I know from church seem to be getting sick lately.

It's bad per the numbers, I was just wondering if you've noticed a change in tenor - fewer people out, more mask wearing, news reports, stuff like that

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

zoux posted:

It's bad per the numbers, I was just wondering if you've noticed a change in tenor - fewer people out, more mask wearing, news reports, stuff like that

Mask usage was pretty low in the spring, has been pretty good since the summer. Most all stores require masks despite the lack of an actual city-wide mandate. Just anecdotally, I haven't noticed much decline in people being out and around (compared to the shutdown in the spring, where things were really dead). I've been back at the office since May and haven't heard any whisper of anyone going work from home again. With O&G, the majority of workers don't have that option anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/delrayser/status/1329562654252421124

There it is

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

zoux posted:

What's it looking like out there, West Texas people

Do you count the panhandle (Amarillo) as West Texas? Because I'm sitting outside of a clinic waiting to be called in for my Covid test right now. Four of my coworkers are sick, two of them are confirmed positive. The other two have results pending. I was in contact with both of the positive cases on Saturday so here I am. 36 people died here last week. We have two mobile morgues and they have ordered more. Hospitalization isn't quite 40% yet but getting there.

As for people taking it seriously or acting differently it's about half and half. Some people are still like my freedoms, stay home if you're scared, all that jazz. More people are scheduling curbside grocery pickup but it's not nearly as many as were doing it in the spring. The grocery store is out of toilet paper and paper towels again but that's it. They haven't ordered restaurants or bars to shut down so people are still going to those. Plus we had a rodeo last weekend.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

Do you count the panhandle (Amarillo) as West Texas? Because I'm sitting outside of a clinic waiting to be called in for my Covid test right now. Four of my coworkers are sick, two of them are confirmed positive. The other two have results pending. I was in contact with both of the positive cases on Saturday so here I am. 36 people died here last week. We have two mobile morgues and they have ordered more. Hospitalization isn't quite 40% yet but getting there.

As for people taking it seriously or acting differently it's about half and half. Some people are still like my freedoms, stay home if you're scared, all that jazz. More people are scheduling curbside grocery pickup but it's not nearly as many as were doing it in the spring. The grocery store is out of toilet paper and paper towels again but that's it. They haven't ordered restaurants or bars to shut down so people are still going to those. Plus we had a rodeo last weekend.

A fellow Amarillo goon!

I'd say about 2/3 of people in grocery stores are wearing masks, but it dips a lot more for like, shorter or more casual interactions like gas station convenience stores or whatever.

For some more stats, I have about 170 students this semester. 51 of them have entered quarantine at some point, and 17 have been confirmed as COVID+. That's certainly an undercount but that's what I've been officially told.

Everything sucks here, and so many people are gonna die.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who in the world wouldn't consider the Panhandle West Texas.

Anyway, the CDC has changed guidance to say that now masks can offer some protection the wearer (and I've seen some other stuff to indicate that as well, you know plus common sense). A while ago I picked up some masks from this vaccuum cleaner company out of Seattle because vaccuum cleaners have really good filters -these have polypropylene .3 micron filters- and as far as a reusable cloth mask goes they're good.

So be careful out there fellas and do what you can to protect yourself and family, because the state of Texas sure ain't gonna.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 20, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

Who in the world wouldn't consider the Panhandle West Texas.

Anyway, the CDC has changed guidance to say that now masks can offer some protection the wearer (and I've seen some other stuff to indicate that as well, you know plus common sense). A while ago I picked up some masks from this vaccuum cleaner company out of Seattle because vaccuum cleaners have really good filters -these have polypropylene .3 micron filters- and as far as a reusable cloth mask goes they're good.

So be careful out there fellas and do what you can to protect yourself and family, because the state of Texas sure ain't gonna.

Can you compare those masks to other cloth ones? I'm getting close to the bottom of my box of surgical masks and want some reusables, those look better than most but it's hard to tell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're easier to breathe through than the cloth surgical style masks I was using. That nose flap is supposed to help with glasses fogging, it doesn't really work for me but I imagine it depends on face and nose shape. It smells like a vacuum cleaner filter because it's got a vacuum cleaner filter as a layer.

Also they've massively expanded their operation. I got mine months ago and they had just decided to start making these because they have all the materials. Now they seem to be primarily a mask making company.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 20, 2020

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

JosefStalinator posted:

A fellow Amarillo goon!

I'd say about 2/3 of people in grocery stores are wearing masks, but it dips a lot more for like, shorter or more casual interactions like gas station convenience stores or whatever.

For some more stats, I have about 170 students this semester. 51 of them have entered quarantine at some point, and 17 have been confirmed as COVID+. That's certainly an undercount but that's what I've been officially told.

Everything sucks here, and so many people are gonna die.

AC or WT? I was taking a for funsies class at AC and we are pretty much 100% on Zoom now even though it's got labs. The instructor keeps having to quarantine every time one of her students does and it's been at least 1 every other week since the semester started. I haven't been up to the campus in 2 weeks which is a good thing because I apparently have a 100 temperature now and didn't even notice it. Trying not to freak out right now.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

AC or WT? I was taking a for funsies class at AC and we are pretty much 100% on Zoom now even though it's got labs. The instructor keeps having to quarantine every time one of her students does and it's been at least 1 every other week since the semester started. I haven't been up to the campus in 2 weeks which is a good thing because I apparently have a 100 temperature now and didn't even notice it. Trying not to freak out right now.

WT, so bigger classes, but AC rocks and all that I've done with them has been good.

Stay home and safe, if you're not high risk (old/immunocompromised) you'll be okay. I've gotten a cold at least 3 times since this all started and tested negative each time, so it could easily be a false alarm.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

i say swears online posted:

where are my F150 fire sales

not gonna happen since it's the only housing people can afford (barely, the new one starts at 29k lmao)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1329608439656542208

Hey how bout you head about 400 mi. south when you get there and stay your rear end in Florida

https://twitter.com/nachoaguilar/status/1329600480561991684

Y'all been talking poo poo but Abbott's out here creating jobs

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 20, 2020

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Also we're going to pass 20k deaths when the state releases numbers, if not today then tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1329513925319274498

Mitigation steps
They're easy to see
Once you solve
My riddles three

has anyone tried just not getting the virus?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Sir Tonk posted:

My in-laws tried and failed. Everyone dropped all safety protocols at family gatherings and now we have 1 grandparent dead and another with a heart condition doing poorly the past few days.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sir Tonk posted:

I tried but got the Rona anyway.

Now I'm immune so suck it normals.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

I tried but got the Rona anyway.

Now I'm immune so suck it normals.

How was it, and did you get any of the bizarre long term things you hear about, the “brain fog” and such

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Was there any good news from the Texan elections downballot?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

How was it, and did you get any of the bizarre long term things you hear about, the “brain fog” and such

I posted a lot at the time some in this thread.

It sucked, had brain fog during and for a few weeks after. Long term issue is still no sense of smell, I'm nearing 5 months after symptom onset.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Grouchio posted:

Was there any good news from the Texan elections downballot?

Austin voted to build new rail lines.

Austin's new DA is a DSA guy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/wereinhellyt/status/1329880245663637504?s=21

I am no longer ok with mcaughaghey for gov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

not alright alright alright