Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Pyronic posted:

I used to be a big fan of Spider when it was just the LN and web novel being translated until the translator quit, but if the manga adaption (and anime) ever get to the stuff I remember its gonna be a much wilder ride than Slime Isekai.

I think that the manga is trying to avoid the more unwholesome bits from the LN. Like, I think they entirely skipped the bit where she inadvertently kills a fort full of dudes and then eats them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’m very excited for Spider manga to finally be at this point, the story picks up so much once she’s out of the labyrinth. It’s a shame that they haven’t shown the other perspective cause that really broke up the chapters in the LN, but I am interested to see how they circle back to that, if ever. Might be soon now that we have this reveal.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Haystack posted:

I think that the manga is trying to avoid the more unwholesome bits from the LN. Like, I think they entirely skipped the bit where she inadvertently kills a fort full of dudes and then eats them.

What why would they skip that? That sounds awesome.

Waste not want not.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Haystack posted:

she still kills the guys and nukes the fort, she isnt shown eating them though as far as I can remember

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

she still kills the guys and nukes the fort, she isnt shown eating them though as far as I can remember

Fort guys is good eating

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I checked out The Tale of the Noble Girl Who Will go to a Monastery After her Engagement Annulment from the otome villainess anthology and it was super good. Wish it had a bit of a continuation.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's not on mangadex yet but the last two chapters of The Wolf Won't Sleep went up. Bummer that that's all there is of it. Guess I'll keep suggesting the LN on Seven Seas' survey, they've got a whole imprint just for novels now so maybe there's a shot.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Everything Burrito posted:

it's not on mangadex yet but the last two chapters of The Wolf Won't Sleep went up. Bummer that that's all there is of it. Guess I'll keep suggesting the LN on Seven Seas' survey, they've got a whole imprint just for novels now so maybe there's a shot.

Depending on the translation I'd be interested in reading the LN.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly I don't really know what a translated LN reads like. I checked out the fan tl of the novel that's ongoing but really did not enjoy the prose style so if that's more or less how they look in general then it's doubtful I'd want to read it. I guess I'm mostly hoping a pro outfit would end up with a result that's more readable.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Everything Burrito posted:

The LN was cancelled after 4 volumes, so I'm not sure if there's a point in licensing that either. You'll have to turn to the original WN, which will probably still be completed.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

darkgray posted:

The LN was cancelled after 4 volumes, so I'm not sure if there's a point in licensing that either. You'll have to turn to the original WN, which will probably still be completed.

ah rip, I got those mixed up and thought the LN was what kept going. tbh I'm not even sure now if it was the LN or the WN I read a little piece of.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sheesh, there's just no luck for this guy. Guess I'm going to memory hole that series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

With Villainess getting so popular that Mangadex capitulated and made a 'Villainess' genre option, I was kinda confused, thinking there was one for threads here too.

Anyway I've found another one I'm enjoying.

The Goal Is to Become a Gold Spoon so I Need to Be Completely Invulnerable

It's pretty straightforward, woman drawn into a book she was reading (literally) remembers everything of her previous life after being pushed down the stairs by her rival. Though where it really begins deviating is that the mc's been holed up in their house tormented by her and her stepmother as well after her father died so there's no one to save her. It's a real Cinderella situation, only there's just one daughter and a stepmother tormenting her. This ain't no Beware the Villainess story, two chapters in and she's already taking action.

The one problem I have with it is just a me thing but I have only heard of it described as having a silver spoon in your mouth and not a golden one and it just doesn't sound right to me. Also the more I see stories of this kind of situation, the more I want to see someone who's bad at dealing with them like Bakarina but in a different way. Like, the day after they're back on their feet they immediately start throwing punches to whoever threw them down the stairs.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I decided to look this up and spoon variants representing socioeconomic class are a thing in Korean online discourse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_class_theory

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Life in Another World as a Housekeeping Mage

Not sure if it's been posted here before, but I just found this series with a pretty interesting premise, where the MC is this sort of logistical spellcaster that focuses on easing the burdens of adventuring. The pacing and character writing feels pretty solid so far, and the fact that the cast's age averages around 30 is kind of refreshing. There are only three chapters translated, though, and the last chapter was... three months ago. So I guess this is as much a recommendation post as an invitation to suffer together.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RareAcumen posted:

Also the more I see stories of this kind of situation, the more I want to see someone who's bad at dealing with them like Bakarina but in a different way. Like, the day after they're back on their feet they immediately start throwing punches to whoever threw them down the stairs.

This isn't quite what you're talking about, but this made me think of Death is the Only Ending For the Villainess. Basically the main character is sucked into an otome game, except on the secret "Hard Mode" where you play as the villainess and everyone hates you by default, and it's easy to run into bad ends where you immediately piss them off and they kill you. A mode which she never actually managed to beat. Throw in the fact that in her original life she comes from a similarly abusive background, and basically she is super paranoid and instead of actively trying to improve her situation she just tiptoes around everyone trying to avoid pissing them off. Like there is a scene later in the story where she cuts off all ties with one of the male leads who owes her a favor and could theoretically save her from her situation, specifically because she cannot understand anyone's actions except through the lens of someone who might hurt her.

Also similar to that is Please Throw Me Away which is a non-reincarnator post-death time travel story about another abused (adopted) noble with trust issues. It's a little more optimistic, in that she does eventually find the handsome duke who loves her and can be a social shield for her, but even then she doesn't really trust him enough to actually take advantage of that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

This isn't quite what you're talking about, but this made me think of Death is the Only Ending For the Villainess. Basically the main character is sucked into an otome game, except on the secret "Hard Mode" where you play as the villainess and everyone hates you by default, and it's easy to run into bad ends where you immediately piss them off and they kill you. A mode which she never actually managed to beat. Throw in the fact that in her original life she comes from a similarly abusive background, and basically she is super paranoid and instead of actively trying to improve her situation she just tiptoes around everyone trying to avoid pissing them off. Like there is a scene later in the story where she cuts off all ties with one of the male leads who owes her a favor and could theoretically save her from her situation, specifically because she cannot understand anyone's actions except through the lens of someone who might hurt her.

Also similar to that is Please Throw Me Away which is a non-reincarnator post-death time travel story about another abused (adopted) noble with trust issues. It's a little more optimistic, in that she does eventually find the handsome duke who loves her and can be a social shield for her, but even then she doesn't really trust him enough to actually take advantage of that.

I'm keeping an eye on the first one already (but thank you for summarizing the story, I'm terrible at them) and yeah, I enjoy it a lot. I'll check out the next one too.

I mostly just mean that ones that don't feature Moriartyian 4th dimensional chess playing long term planners that're suppressing their hatred for their murderers/tormentors and just go for the straightforward lashing out of just punching them or throwing a lamp at them or something. Just an understandable outburst rather than planning to sabotage them over 4 years until they can go live on their own.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I'm keeping an eye on the first one already (but thank you for summarizing the story, I'm terrible at them) and yeah, I enjoy it a lot. I'll check out the next one too.

I mostly just mean that ones that don't feature Moriartyian 4th dimensional chess playing long term planners that're suppressing their hatred for their murderers/tormentors and just go for the straightforward lashing out of just punching them or throwing a lamp at them or something. Just an understandable outburst rather than planning to sabotage them over 4 years until they can go live on their own.

Oh, if that's what you meant then there's a weird parody one called I Tame the Wild Duke where the protagonist basically just screams "gently caress you! gently caress you!" over and over again at everyone, constantly (in Korean so they can't understand her). TBH I thought it got old fast, and it doesn't help the translation was kind of awkward.

Oh, but if you just want one where the protagonist is an idiot with no longterm planning skills, there's also When the Villainess Loves which is about a person who reincarnates as the villainess but isn't too worried about survival because she plans to just skip town before things get hairy, so she spends all her time being a fangirl and hanging out with all her favorite characters from the book. Except the excuse she's using to skip town is that she has a terminal illness and wants to die peacefully in the countryside (technically she secretly did, but it was cured when her soul was swapped in), which she doesn't seem to realize changes how everyone sees her. So it's like a farce where from the outside she looks like this tragic heroine stoically enduring the pain and gracefully accepting her death with an ironic smile, while internally she's just screaming about how hot all the guys surrounding her are.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 21, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

blizzardvizard posted:

Life in Another World as a Housekeeping Mage

Not sure if it's been posted here before, but I just found this series with a pretty interesting premise, where the MC is this sort of logistical spellcaster that focuses on easing the burdens of adventuring. The pacing and character writing feels pretty solid so far, and the fact that the cast's age averages around 30 is kind of refreshing. There are only three chapters translated, though, and the last chapter was... three months ago. So I guess this is as much a recommendation post as an invitation to suffer together.

Oh nice, I hadn't seen that one before. The last page of the update says the next chapter is on sale November 28th, so maybe there will be an update before too much longer?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Honestly at this point a cocaine habit would probably be healthier for me, rather than rummaging scanlation sites for isekai and villainess and isekai villainess scans twice a day (thrice Saturday)

And in the “dunno if this was posted before” but I am fond of ”The Duchess' 50 Tea Recipes” and perhaps you will be too. If nothing else, you will learn a lot about tea!

A dull-as-dishwater pushover office lady with conveniently no earthly ties fucks up a major project and gets fired. She goes home, falls asleep, and wakes up as a duchess!... with one catch: the original duchess was far more timid and wishy-washy, to the point that the poor thing basically shrank her soul into non-existence. The new owner-operator finds herself in a loveless political marriage, an absolute joke in society, and is bullied by her rear end in a top hat maids.

After a week to adjust, she asks her incredible rich but icy-cold husband for the one comfort she had from her past life - tea. Surprised, the Duke buys her all the tea in the empire, easily, as there isn’t really a tea culture (yet). It is a new start for Duchess Chloe: tea drinker, tea advocate, and future darling of high socie-tea!

I like it because it’s a slow-but-steady plot with reasonable circumstances that makes Chloe’s achievements more believable (such as in the Empire not having many tea drinkers because a tea culture never came about - she doesn’t “invent” an entire industry) and satisfying (she slowly regains the respect and control of her household, and her husband warms up to her suddenly assertive wife). And of course, you’ll learn the basics of brewing tea and tea infusions and also tea cocktails and did you know you can bake with tea and and

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Oh and also rosehip tea! Did you know it’s chock full of vitamin C? And also you can make a syrup out of black tea for making milk tea and even pour it on pancakes and oh yes, there’s smoked teas that have a bacony flavor and pair nicely with ham too.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I wouldn't say Souchong Lapsang has a bacony taste but I remember that scene. I'd describe it as a smokey taste and smoked meats are oft recommended with it.

That one has been posted before but it was much earlier and we weren't very far into it. I remember checking it out and enjoying it a few times. I love tea so I can vibe with the protag here.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Literally Kermit posted:

Honestly at this point a cocaine habit would probably be healthier for me, rather than rummaging scanlation sites for isekai and villainess and isekai villainess scans twice a day (thrice Saturday)

LOL I work from home and this has basically become my second job. I have excel sheets with ratings and short plot summaries because my memory is sometimes poo poo.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

Galvanik posted:

Why does everyone in the fantasy world think the monster husband is ugly?

I didn't want to bring it up since it's pretty spoilery, since nothing is really hinted at it until ch 26 but it seems that the family line has a cursed placed on them so that if anyone tells them they're not ugly, they'll die. Probably related to the demons, but it hasn't been fully explained yet. But to be safe, they always wear a mask and tell everyone it's because they're so ugly, and after so long repeating it, they believe it so they try their best to keep their face hidden.

Hopefully that explains it a bit, but the short version is, as almost always, "plot reasons."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Revdomezehis posted:

it seems that the family line has a cursed placed on them so that if anyone tells them they're not ugly, they'll die.
That's a stupid reason. But then this world has random cans of butane and candy bars.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 22, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Revdomezehis posted:

Doesn't seem to have been posted yet, so how about another Villainess (but not really) Isekai? https://mangadex.org/title/53810/my-secretly-hot-husband

Girl is burned alive in modern day, reincarnates as an unfortunate little girl whose adopted by her uncle and treated like crap, until she's sold off to the evil noble of the north whose so ugly he always wears a mask. Except he's not evil and also is actually a hottie. I'd state more but I'm terrible at summaries so check it out for yourself.

I will add however that if you think this will be a typical villainess story where she introduces the peasants to the glories of Capitalism..... well,

I don't think that'll happen.

This manga owns, I'm 8 chapters in and all of a sudden it just hits you from a blind spot with a hook. Surprise motherfucker, this is also a battlemaid manga!

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

Jackard posted:

That's a stupid reason. But then this world has random cans of butane and candy bars.

I mean, yes, but it's an isekai so having stupid stuff is kind of a given I feel, based on ya know, literally every other isekai.

And yeah, battlemaids and battle grannies are pretty :black101:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Yakuza Reincarnation
When's Ryuu gonna get in on the action. I just can't wait, Its always good

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Revdomezehis posted:

I mean, yes, but it's an isekai so having stupid stuff is kind of a given I feel, based on ya know, literally every other isekai.
I read a ton of this stuff, this one isn't the worst it's just sort of mediocre and I got distracted by other comics

Think i read as far as the dragoncat training

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 23, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Jackard posted:

I actually don't mind those; they tie into the worldbuilding that somehow this world is connected to modern earth. You've got "witches" who are born with memories of their lives on earth, a Great Sage who left notes in Korean and possibly went back to earth, and somehow small quantities of earth goods show up in demon lands. I just hope they'll eventually explore it a bit more now that we've timeskipped.

Speaking of, one thing I am really glad about is that this manga didn't spend too long dwelling on the MC's horrible childhood. We got just enough to establish that her Uncle is a shithead and set up her character a bit, then we jumped to her being a badass.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

I read a ton of this stuff, this one isn't the worst it's just sort of mediocre and I got distracted by other comics

Think i read as far as the dragoncat training

drat, if you find that one boring, post your stellar alternatives. I've been enjoying it a lot personally.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Here's stuff I'm looking forward to:

Villainess:
Mad Dog Princess
Level 99 Villainess
The Holy Grail of Eris
Beware of the Villainess!
The Penniless Villainess
Of Course, I'll Claim Palimony!
The Villainess Decided to Crossdress
Endo and Kobayashi’s Live Commentary

Isekai:
Yakuza Reincarnation
Uncle from Another World
A Wild Last Boss Appeared!
Isekai Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan to
Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou Desu
Vengeful but Lazy White Cat
Stuck in lovely Skyrim
The Cynical Underdog
Farmgirl in Sengoku
Bokura no Kiseki
Instant Death
Karate Idiot
Sword Dad

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Personally I find that Korean comics tend to do way more interesting villainess stuff since they're willing to stray much further from the premise without devolving into parody.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 23, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not surprising that the country that is world champion of ridiculous tv dramas would put out some good villainess isekais. there are certainly similarities between the two.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If you go to deep into the isekai genre, you are reading with hitler:

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not surprising that the country that is world champion of ridiculous tv dramas would put out some good villainess isekais. there are certainly similarities between the two.

Sorry but the Latin American "Telemundo" dramas are the super heavy weight champ imo.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Insert a Name Here posted:

Sorry but the Latin American "Telemundo" dramas are the super heavy weight champ imo.

Telemundo's telenovelas are weak poo poo, you should get some brazilian novelas, that's the good stuff. Inject them right into your eyeball.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Siegkrow posted:

Telemundo's telenovelas are weak poo poo, you should get some brazilian novelas, that's the good stuff. Inject them right into your eyeball.

Books are usually even better at portraying the worst.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko update for episode 8. Still incredibly wholesome. I now look forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just caught up with the one about the Duchess who revolutionizes tea and I think my favorite part is how 92 chapters into this world which is essentially Earth in all but name, they suddenly mention that lamps were invented by powerful wizards from the Tower of Masts and that these lamps are powered by mana--the first mention that magic even exists in this world--only for this factoid to never be brought up again, in favor of just giving us more tea.