Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

my person, that mat gives the right side of the laptop a rise of 1/8" over a 15" run. That's an angle of ~0.48 degrees. I think you'd survive.

Yes but what if it's rotated just slightly and every time you press the spacebar the whole thing rocks a tiny bit. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hell yeah, that’s turbo rad... strong mad max vibes

My desk Legos are lot duller

Lol I loved this before and I love it now.

My current desk lego are kinda shoved aside at the moment, but I have the Brick Headz Mando+Baby Yoda, the NASA Girl CMF, the Drone pilot CMF, and the 30611 R2-D2.
95% of my stuff is in my office at work which I haven't seen since July when I dropped off the UCS Falcon. Maybe someday I can visit the collection safely again. :sigh:

11 hours 15 minutes until I order a whole bunch of poo poo for double points, though! :peanut:

Oh, I also have 2 4x4x4 pillars that are elevating my laptop's back end to raise the screen and allow me the real estate for a full sized keyboard.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Punc posted:

I have a dumb LEGO question for you LEGO geniuses. For holidays my mom wants a Honda PA50, but since that's a bit out of my price range, I'd thought to get a LEGO one.
BrickLink however only has cars as far as I can see, and a quick search didn't really get me anywhere. Any chance anybody here can direct me to a place where they might MOC and sell it?

For trying to find a particular type of LEGO set I think BrickSet is a lot more useful than BrickLink. You can browse by tag, and they have decent image galleries for most sets:

https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Moped
https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Motorcycle

If you found something there that worked then you could look up the set number on BrickLink to buy it. Unfortunately I don't know anything about MOCs so I can't help you on that end.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Someone upthread mentioned using spare brick separators to lift up the back end of the laptop- I do that now and it seems to make a difference cooling-wise

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Punc posted:

I have a dumb LEGO question for you LEGO geniuses. For holidays my mom wants a Honda PA50, but since that's a bit out of my price range, I'd thought to get a LEGO one.
BrickLink however only has cars as far as I can see, and a quick search didn't really get me anywhere. Any chance anybody here can direct me to a place where they might MOC and sell it?
Oh, I missed this post, sorry. Good places to look for MOCs for sale are BuildaMOC and Creations For Charity (for a complete set with instructions + pieces), or for just the instructions but a much greater variety, Rebrickable or Brickvault come to mind. You can also find Stud.io files and sometimes instructions at Bricklink.

Honestly, I'm not finding too much along the lines of what you're after, but this is nice. This is even further off, but what a great build.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Someone upthread mentioned using spare brick separators to lift up the back end of the laptop- I do that now and it seems to make a difference cooling-wise
:monocle: gonna do that rn

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

It is nice being able to look at the best LEGO set of all time* whenever I'm on my laptop, though.

*fight me

Still haven't built Barracuda Bay?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sloppy posted:

I assumed it was a James-Bond type torture device for minifigs.

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to build!"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBa_DQj4dI

:psyduck:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

sigher posted:

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to build!"

“No Mr. Brick, I expect you to <>“

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
When does double points start for central time?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Earth posted:

When does double points start for central time?
I was under the impression it was already live, no? I haven't checked firsthand though.

Also, streamin' again in 4 hours!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

VIP weekend is supposed to start on the 21st. I presume it will activate in 8? hours of this post (12ET/1CT.)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Oxyclean posted:

VIP weekend is supposed to start on the 21st. I presume it will activate in 8? hours of this post (12ET/1CT.)

shop.lego.com had a countdown going: https://www.lego.com/en-us/page/black-friday-cyber-monday-toy-deals

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Since my DIY Secret Santee has received and built his gift, I can post it here now. I stalked my recipient's post history and found that the centerpiece of his shop is a Grizzly G0771Z table saw, so I made him a lil' custom set to build a replica of it!

He posted pics of it sitting on the real thing here!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I called my local store and they set aside an ecto and nutcracker for me. They are not allowed to set aside the GWPs but I will be there at opening time and should get both.
When I asked when to come to avoid the crowds she said to come early because she can tell from the number of calls that it will be crammed at noon. Didn't sound too happy and was glad when I said I will come at store opening, hop in, grab my stuff and be on my way.

She also said next weekend is going to be murder "when the... err... the new set releases". I am curious now, it sounded like she wasn't allowed to say the set's name yet and nearly let it slip. I wonder if there is secret set...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hopper posted:

She also said next weekend is going to be murder "when the... err... the new set releases". I am curious now, it sounded like she wasn't allowed to say the set's name yet and nearly let it slip. I wonder if there is secret set...
Isn't that when the coliseum releases? (Although it was announced, so they wouldn't really have a reason to be secretive?)

I'm probably ordering the Bugatti once double points goes live... I'm super tempted to order the Ecto-1 as well, but it's back-ordered, so I don't know if I'd actually get the double points, and also, that's a lot to spend at once. (I should probably just save it for the next time there's some 100$+ GWP)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't that when the coliseum releases? (Although it was announced, so they wouldn't really have a reason to be secretive?)
It was leaked sooooo long ago, the employee is probably just in the habit of having to keep quiet about it by now. Better safe than sorry, I'd guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The coliseum is in the latest catalog, so it's not a secret anymore.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Can you use the store points for anything? So far it only seems to be for Legoland tickets.

They’re probably not gonna go on sale but I wanna wait on buying the Ecto/Batmobile just in case they have some sort of cool freebie next weekend.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carbohydrates posted:

Since my DIY Secret Santee has received and built his gift, I can post it here now. I stalked my recipient's post history and found that the centerpiece of his shop is a Grizzly G0771Z table saw, so I made him a lil' custom set to build a replica of it!

Goddamn that is so cool

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

Can you use the store points for anything? So far it only seems to be for Legoland tickets.

They’re probably not gonna go on sale but I wanna wait on buying the Ecto/Batmobile just in case they have some sort of cool freebie next weekend.

You can use points for discounts. 10k points is 100$. (You can also do 5/20/50 - the points are linear.)

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/vip/rewards-center/rewards

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Oxyclean posted:

You can use points for discounts. 10k points is 100$. (You can also do 5/20/50 - the points are linear.)

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/vip/rewards-center/rewards

Huh, thanks! For some reason it didn’t show that last time I checked. Now I’m finding it on the German store too. Neat.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Carbohydrates posted:

This is rad as hell

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lots of 2021 sets are up on Brickset, including some of the new City sets with road plates.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Also, the roadplate set itself (though I think it was leaked & shared here awhile back)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
City sets that aren't just cops!? That first apartment block set feels very 90's to me, but I dig it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Nice!

So, something I've been wondering about your camera setup. Do you think it'd be possible to get similar results with a cell phone camera or do you think the dslr is pretty essential? I have been able to get ok pictures of my MOCs but usually no where near the quality I am hoping for. With the smaller stuff I use a cheap lightbox and those tend to come out allright, although I don't think it's nearly as good as your glass setup. I find bigger mocs almost impossible to photograph well.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

Nice!

So, something I've been wondering about your camera setup. Do you think it'd be possible to get similar results with a cell phone camera or do you think the dslr is pretty essential? I have been able to get ok pictures of my MOCs but usually no where near the quality I am hoping for. With the smaller stuff I use a cheap lightbox and those tend to come out allright, although I don't think it's nearly as good as your glass setup. I find bigger mocs almost impossible to photograph well.
I think a good cell phone camera could get really nice results. Honestly, they've come such a long way. I don't know, though! My phone is quite old, so I can't really accurately test how well my setup would work with one. I feel like I rely on the tripod more than anything since I shoot with a pretty long shutter speed and a high exposure.

streamin' in 25 mins

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I had the Vestas Wind Turbine sitting unopened for quite some time and decided to build it. It's very tall. Easily the tallest structure I've built. I don't think I am going to hang onto this, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those roads are cool as hell but they look way more expensive than the old school road plates.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Am I remember wrong but didn’t they basically keep the Batmobile under wraps until like a day or two before the Black Friday release?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Please be Gardens of Ninjago

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DrChud posted:

Am I remember wrong but didn’t they basically keep the Batmobile under wraps until like a day or two before the Black Friday release?

I thought I remember there being some pretty credible leaks/rumors it was coming, since I feel like it was well know the mini version would be a GWP.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

This is just way too freaking cool! You got all the height adjustments, action moving fence, locking levers, dust exhaust, the curves of the cabinet... just seriously, this is 110% getting a bricklink order along with the rest of your garage implements :3:

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Looks like double points are running, but there's no freebies to go with it for online. Massively disappointing.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Earth posted:

Looks like double points are running, but there's no freebies to go with it for online. Massively disappointing.

I just ordered the NES and got both the Dickens scene (over 150$) and the teal buildable brick (over 200$)

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Yeah just ordered Saturn V and the ISS, got the dickens set.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Earth posted:

What region are you?

I'm Canada and just got both teal brick and the Dickens set with my Bugatti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

What region are you?

I'm Canada and just got both teal brick and the Dickens set with my Bugatti.

U.S.

EDIT: Tried again and it worked.

Earth fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 21, 2020