Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DeathChicken posted:

It's unfortunate he wasn't around for longer because holy poo poo, Matt Borne in full Doink makeup could convey that he wanted to murder you with his expression

Plus, Borne actually had good matches. Granted, his hits include Perfect, Jannetty, and Bret, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Red posted:

Plus, Borne actually had good matches. Granted, his hits include Perfect, Jannetty, and Bret, but still.
Also, his lone babyface Doink promo that we have shows that he would have done a MUCH better job with the character than Ray Apollo did. He kept the darkness while turning face.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man 14 year old me didn't pick up on any of this poo poo at all.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Generational/Legacy Character chat, combined with the Black Tiger chat, leads me to this thought:

Tiger Mask IV is getting up there in years. He’s a perfectly fine elder-statesman for the Juniors, but he never seems to have risen to the position of importance that the previous Tiger Masks did (either in-gimmick or otherwise). Wikipedia tells me there’s already a Tiger Mask V, but that doesn’t seem to be an active gimmick, and Tiger Mask W was a brief tie-in played by Ibushi that’s since been dropped. There’s also something called “Shinsetsu Tiger Mask” that Sayama debuted in 2018 but I’ve never heard anything about that character.

Point is, let’s say IV retires soon, and the gimmick stays in NJPW; do you see it continuing on as a legacy character? If so, any picks for who dons the mask?

Dunno how viable it would be, but it could be a good way to get Wato back on track if the WAY TO GRANDMASTER MASTER WATO stuff doesn’t work out...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Nosawa was still doing the Black Tiger gimmick in AJPW until recently when he started focusing on NOAH.

takaiwa's also done the gimmick in all japan in recent years.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Generational/Legacy Character chat, combined with the Black Tiger chat, leads me to this thought:

Tiger Mask IV is getting up there in years. He’s a perfectly fine elder-statesman for the Juniors, but he never seems to have risen to the position of importance that the previous Tiger Masks did (either in-gimmick or otherwise). Wikipedia tells me there’s already a Tiger Mask V, but that doesn’t seem to be an active gimmick, and Tiger Mask W was a brief tie-in played by Ibushi that’s since been dropped. There’s also something called “Shinsetsu Tiger Mask” that Sayama debuted in 2018 but I’ve never heard anything about that character.

Point is, let’s say IV retires soon, and the gimmick stays in NJPW; do you see it continuing on as a legacy character? If so, any picks for who dons the mask?

Dunno how viable it would be, but it could be a good way to get Wato back on track if the WAY TO GRANDMASTER MASTER WATO stuff doesn’t work out...

TMIV hasn't wrestled since covid due to diverticulitis tho he''s healthy enough to hang around the dojo. lot of people thought sho or yoh might've been the next real new japan tiger mask but that obv didn't happen.

only real potential among the current roster unless you'd regimmick someone would be uemura and he's bulking up enough to be a heavy. my guess is that it's dropped tho i'd love to be wrong

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BodyMassageMachine posted:

personally, i'd give it to a random young lion and not tell anyone who it is

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sign one of the zillion great Juniors floating around the indies and hand it to them

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Let Kota wrestle as Tiger Mask W again and also wrestle as Kota

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

And then book Kota vs Tiger Mask W

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Make them play the mirror spot completely straight and you've got yourself a deal

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see someone from whatever the next back of Young Lions is take the mask. I think this current crop is becoming favorites already and might do a disservice to them to put them under a mask like that?

Though, I dunno. I don't know what it was like for other Tiger Masks. Did they all do young boy stuff until excursion, then became Tiger Mask?

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see someone from whatever the next back of Young Lions is take the mask. I think this current crop is becoming favorites already and might do a disservice to them to put them under a mask like that?

Though, I dunno. I don't know what it was like for other Tiger Masks. Did they all do young boy stuff until excursion, then became Tiger Mask?

Based on my reading/understanding, the general process for Tiger Mask has been thus:
1) NJPW’s tie-in with the anime happens, Satoru Sayama gets put under the mask and is successful for a few years until his departure for UWF.
2) AJPW gets the license for the character and Misawa gets slotted in. Misawa is a big success as TM but drops it after a few years.
3) Back to NJPW, Koji Kanemoto gets the gimmick for a bit but drops it after a year or so.
4) Yoshihiro Yamazaki gets hand-picked for the gimmick by Sayama, bops about in Michinoku Pro until bringing the gimmick back to NJPW. He’s been TMIV ever since.

5/Shinsetsu seem to be outliers in that they’re newer wrestlers that were tapped to be “Tiger Mask” that didn’t really go anywhere. And W obviously was a brief tie-in that wasn’t about to derail Kota Ibushi being Kota Ibushi.

So while 4/5/Shinsetsu are kind of templates for a Young Lion getting the gimmick, the rest were all established guys (or at least became bigger deals sans gimmick). So it could go either way, if at all.

I don’t see someone super-well established taking on the gimmick fulltime (like Ibushi), so my guess is either a Young Lion they have a LOT of faith in, or they shelve the gimmick until another new anime tie-in happens.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Just give it to me. I'm already old and had a lot of fun in Japan and I have 4 cats, nobody is going to be a better fit to be Tiger Mask than me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

Just give it to me. I'm already old and had a lot of fun in Japan and I have 4 cats, nobody is going to be a better fit to be Tiger Mask than me.

How's your tiger suplex

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How's your tiger suplex

Let me get back to you on this

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ChrisBTY posted:

Man 14 year old me didn't pick up on any of this poo poo at all.

Same. Wrestling with Wregret just did a video on Survivor Series 1993, the one that had a whole bunch of replacements on the card, and pointed out that Doink does a promo both before and after the "Four Doinks" match on the big screen. The first time, it's Matt Bourne, taped before he got let go. The second one is the new Doink.

I never realized the difference, but it's apparently really jarring if you know about the change.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gavok posted:

Same. Wrestling with Wregret just did a video on Survivor Series 1993, the one that had a whole bunch of replacements on the card, and pointed out that Doink does a promo both before and after the "Four Doinks" match on the big screen. The first time, it's Matt Bourne, taped before he got let go. The second one is the new Doink.

I never realized the difference, but it's apparently really jarring if you know about the change.

Doink was a good idea that was booked... not very well. Feuding with Crush wasn't going to help anyone. Then again, maybe even Evil Doink probably had a low ceiling.

Was it SummerSlam '93 where Bret and Lawler did their thing, and Doink was the distraction match to allow Lawler the cheap shot with the crutch? That entire thing was booked so perfectly (except for Bret getting hurt). There's a spot where Doink goes for his Whoopie Cushion (flying butt splash), and lands nut-first on Bret's knees. I have no idea how you do that one without just taking it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How's your tiger suplex

listen if it doesn't work out i can reach out to people and he can be Giant Tiger II.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
What's the background to Cody's "gently caress on you" soundbite?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Saul Goode posted:

What's the background to Cody's "gently caress on you" soundbite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOm_a8XcYsk&t=6s

The story in full (it's pretty funny)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

the match in question if anyone wants to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccKw-IbeVQ

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lamuella posted:

the match in question if anyone wants to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccKw-IbeVQ

There's a botchamania that syncs up the story like it's commentary and it's very good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can anyone confirm or deny?

https://imgur.com/gallery/xAjuYtF

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

lopes gay, so what?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Glad that youth hosteling with Chris Eubanks gets a mention

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I watched a bunch of heel Doink matches a while back and aside from the in ring stuff, they really illustrate the decline in quality from Heenan to Lawler on commentary.

Heenan is like "yeah I'm a heel, but this guy terrifies me. He's dangerous."

Whereas Lawler is cackling and going "Mean clown, yay!"

Heenan's reaction to Doink really sold him as something uniquely threatening.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I never really got Doink. Like 'oh no an evil clown how terrible and original'. But the way you folk are explaining it makes me understand why people here keep putting one (or more) in their TEW games. Some maybe I'll put a Doink in my game. But I don't know who Doink should be. They should be good at playing offbeat/unstable characters but there are only so many of those performers...who could fit the bill...who I ask you?

....hmmmmm.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Clown Ni Nare

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
As if I weren't already terrified of clowns.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Heenan also had this really fun running gag on commentary where he could almost identify Matt Borne under the Doink makeup, but could never quite make it click. "I've seen the way this guy moves, why can't I remember?"

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Yeah, Heenan's whole "I definitely know this guy" thing was very entertaining as well.

I didn't fully appreciate Doink as a kid, but watching his stuff later on it's very compelling.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Heenan was so good. Makes me sad. :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Seams posted:

Heenan was so good. Makes me sad. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

So I never really got Doink. Like 'oh no an evil clown how terrible and original'. But the way you folk are explaining it makes me understand why people here keep putting one (or more) in their TEW games. Some maybe I'll put a Doink in my game. But I don't know who Doink should be. They should be good at playing offbeat/unstable characters but there are only so many of those performers...who could fit the bill...who I ask you?

....hmmmmm.

I wanna know how they decided that Minoru Suzuki is a people person. Unless they mean murdering people, that is.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Zombie Lemur posted:

I watched a bunch of heel Doink matches a while back and aside from the in ring stuff, they really illustrate the decline in quality from Heenan to Lawler on commentary.

Heenan is like "yeah I'm a heel, but this guy terrifies me. He's dangerous."

Whereas Lawler is cackling and going "Mean clown, yay!"

Heenan's reaction to Doink really sold him as something uniquely threatening.

I have recently rewatched basically every thing WWE from my childhood and Lawler is one of the consistently worst parts of the entire product and it's a heavy contrast to JR being at the very top of his game. Even so there are moments where Lawler is great and the chemistry between him and JR works magically and him getting his comeuppance, being distraught at the heels having been foiled, and JR breaking Neutrality and rubbing it in to King is still very satisfying.

At the very least it's not nearly as bad as Heel Cole or the few times I've had the misfortune of listening to Corey Graves.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Is current WWE really the company's nadir? Because I'm working my way through the Worst Gimmick Tournament thread and the mid-2000s seems way worse.

e: creatively speaking, I mean.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 27, 2020

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Answers Me posted:

Is current WWE really the company's nadir? Because I'm working my way through the Worst Gimmick Tournament thread and the mid-2000s seems way worse.

I thought it was the 90s between Hulkamania and Attitude eras

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the New Generation Era was pretty loving dire. But then again right now might be worse because back then they at least had the ability to recognize that something wasn't working and course correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Answers Me posted:

e: creatively speaking, I mean.
Mid 2000s and modern WWE is kind of apples and oranges; I haven't revisited it so maybe there's a big difference in the tone or consistency of the booking, but to my mind the two big differences between like 2005-2010 and 2015-2020 WWE are:

1) The Attitude Era stars they were using as crutches were ten years younger and while it was still annoying to see them plow through young up and comers, it wasn't quite as much of a sad self-parody.

2) The dogshit midcard booking was largely being inflicted on like The Highlanders and Deuce and Domino and Kevin Thornn and Ricky O and Kenzo Suzuki, not some of the generation's best wrestlers like it has been over the past several years. There were still tons of squandered talents in mid 2000s WWE (young and old), but it wasn't a company that you could look at on paper and credibly say has one of the greatest collections of talent any company in history has had under contract. Turning chicken salad into chicken poo poo is somehow less depressing than turning like the cure for polio into a pile of chicken poo poo.

I think it's #2 (and probably recency bias, honestly) that makes people say right now is the nadir versus the mid 2000s (or even the New Generation, which you can kinda sorta blame on external factors).