Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

aphid_licker posted:

It's a bummer that they already did so much viewpoint poo poo from the heresy era bc revealing that a bunch of stuff got garbled in retelling / was embellished over the ensuing 10k years would've been p cool.

WARHAMMER 40K: LEGENDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

moths posted:

Any chance Bobby G would fib to hold the entire empire of humanity together?

He would but I feel like the books have pretty open with pointing out the poo poo he lies about or just deals with because he knows how delicate the entire system is..it's entirely possible though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's literally from his own POV inside his head, where he recalls the Emperor being a dick to him in the throne room.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Huh. I didn't read that, the version I heard was that he went in alone and emerged later in a very somber mood.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's in Dark Imperium I think. The Emperor wasn't being a dick the problem was he wasn't being anything. Guilliman remembered the Emperor as a father figure what he met on the throne was an a being of power completely lacking humanity who saw and thought of him as a tool a favorite tool but still a tool.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

But if it weren't the emperor, the Astronomican wouldn't work

This is true. Psykers power it but the emperor focuses the power to produce it.

That doesn't entirely preclude the theory though. There is a theory that Malcador is the real power and emps is his psychic projection or creation. It could be Malcador on the throne if he was the true power all along.

Alternatively, it could be that emps is real but is entirely a warp god now and he still directs the astronomicon but it's Malcador's body on the throne.

I doubt GW goes with anything like that, but they have hinted that there is something big about the final confrontation we don't know that will be revealed when siege wraps up. It will suck because the LE will come out and everybody will get spoiled two seconds later despite only a couple thousand people having the book at that point.

aphid_licker posted:

It's a bummer that they already did so much viewpoint poo poo from the heresy era bc revealing that a bunch of stuff got garbled in retelling / was embellished over the ensuing 10k years would've been p cool.

This is exactly what they did with the Oll story in Saturnine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Looks like the Guns of Tanith audiobook just dropped.

E: Oh hell yeah, that's the airborne one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Schadenboner posted:

Looks like the Guns of Tanith audiobook just dropped.

E: Oh hell yeah, that's the airborne one.

Ooh. Who is reading it?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ooh. Who is reading it?

Toby!

:peanut:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oh drat, that will sound really good.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Telsa Cola posted:

On one hand, heretics exist to be shot.

On the other hand, interesting heretics are much more entertaining to shoot.
"Now you face a somewhat better class of heretic"- Dark Heresy: Ascension

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Can’t wait until we get 30 books on the unification wars on Terra.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Syncopated posted:

Can’t wait until we get 30 books on the unification wars on Terra.

This but unironically

I have a problem

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Hell yes. Give me the radiation hell scape where the last pools of ocean are fought over by giant techno barbarian roid monsters led by horrific psychic despots using scraped together technology from humanity's golden age.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Guyver posted:

Hell yes. Give me the radiation hell scape where the last pools of ocean are fought over by giant techno barbarian roid monsters led by horrific psychic despots using scraped together technology from humanity's golden age.

I'm so here for this

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Same

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
So excited to be reading about guys in power armor battling weird poo poo ON EARTH as opposed to guys in power armor battling weird poo poo on...I don’t know Armageddon or something.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Unironically wanted to learn more about all the stuff mentioned in Night Land and Earth AD so would be completely down with something similar for Unification Wars.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
There are only SIX lights in Seven Lights!

The Thing That Nods is awesome, though. Always makes me feel validated.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pyrolocutus posted:

Unironically wanted to learn more about all the stuff mentioned in Night Land and Earth AD so would be completely down with something similar for Unification Wars.

Imagine how many miniatures GW could sell for this setting.

Put me down for about a million points worth of "Kanga Rat Murder Society"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Im the Undersea New York rat network

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I want to be a citizen of the Orangutan Surfing Civilization.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mllaneza posted:

Imagine how many miniatures GW could sell for this setting.

Put me down for about a million points worth of "Kanga Rat Murder Society"

I'm the "Human Herds found in all forested areas." of Quebec and Labrador. I find that hard to believe, considering the primary form of life out there are approximately 80 quintillion mosquitoes.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Speaking of 30k there's a newish game out that I find really intriguing and interesting although I am way too intimidated to play it. I've been following the main thread and a really well done lets play and the atmosphere and game itself really lends itself to imagining the whole thing is the Emperor unifying terra

Game

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926377

LP
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922608

quote:

Have you ever wanted to fight brutal wars of attrition against dino-riders in an airless desert using militia in hastily cobbled together envirosuits alongside ancient combat walkers? How about despairing as the (not quite for copyright purposes) War boys from Mad Max appear from nowhere to tear into your unprotected hinterlands? Or watching in horror because you pissed off your secretary too much and they raised a regiment of rebels who cut the aterial road through the alien megajungle that connects the two cities of your empire causing your finely balanced logistical system to grind to a halt.

All of this happening on a hugely detailed, procedurally generated alien world that can range from an airless asteriod to a death world hellhole.

If so then Shadow Empire might be the game for you!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Waroduce posted:

Speaking of 30k there's a newish game out that I find really intriguing and interesting although I am way too intimidated to play it. I've been following the main thread and a really well done lets play and the atmosphere and game itself really lends itself to imagining the whole thing is the Emperor unifying terra

Game

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926377

LP
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922608

You son of a bitch. Now I'll never have free time again.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Venerable machine spirit

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37788/the-amazing-tale-of-bravo-november-the-british-chinook-helicopter-that-refused-to-die

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mike Brewer of the Wheeler Dealers car restoration show did a documentary about combat vehicles and in the first episode he was on Bravo November filming when the pilot got shot in the head. She still got everyone home alive though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Is the Tiger Empire expanding, or is an empire of expanding tigers?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cessna posted:

Is the Tiger Empire expanding, or is an empire of expanding tigers?

Yes?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm legit pissed-off that we don't have a background book about the civilian infrastructure networks of the imperium.

Like, is the Cargo-6 variant of the Goliath called the Goliath-6? The Goliath-VI?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Schadenboner posted:

I'm legit pissed-off that we don't have a background book about the civilian infrastructure networks of the imperium.

Like, is the Cargo-6 variant of the Goliath called the Goliath-6? The Goliath-VI?

Variants often get named after the forge world that made them so it would be the XXXX pattern goliath.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Working out the TO&E for a guard regiment is difficult enough (especially now that the Atlas doesn't exist anymore). A mechanized unit has a long loving truck train and they can't all be Cargo-4s, you know?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Re-reading Baneblade and I really appreciate the effort they put into describing Paragon VI's orbital mechanics (the planet the protagonist* is from).

*: The human protag, not Mars Triumphant the titular Baneblade who is from Mars obvs.?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I just finished a reread of the Macharian Crusade trilogy and I highly recommend it. I almost never see it recommended among fans but it's one of my favorite BL series. The main character is Macharius's bodyguard and it follows him, and by extension Macharius and Drake the Inquisitor, from the beginning to the end of the Crusade. It's a great mix between well written battles and political intrigue at the highest level of Imperial politics.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oh my

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

So sad I missed this

Is there a newsletter or something I need to sign up for to get notifications ><

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That's an incredibly Doom cover, I love it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/05/the-warhammer-preview-online-black-library/

So the next Bequin book is finally coming out. Alongside a reprint of Pariah. The covers for all of them are really gorgeous.

Otherwise they decided to offload all the good stuff at the back. Like another Gotrek book, Xenology 2.0 and a book about Ghaz.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I wonder if they will update my gurlyman ebooks for free or if I will need to buy them again... Lol, this is gw I think I know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

They also announced the new SoT book. It's about the titan's finally being unleashed and is by John French. The next Dark Imperium and the next Dawn of Fire book as well among several others. Looks like a great lineup. The Penitent LE is so pretty.

FYI the Lone Wolves graphic novel by Dan Abnett reprint just released on the GW site. It isn't an LE but if you want it buy it now it will most likely sell out within a day or two.