Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I wish my parents taught me how to throw knives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe I missed it but I don't think I saw mention of Banager's parents. I know we don't exactly get a lot of info about them but I feel like the scenes with him hooked up to the brain torturing pilot teaching device are enough.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
We see his father at least, because his father is the guy who pushes him in to the Unicorn in the first episode. He was working directly with Syam to arrange the negotiations with The Sleeves, but decided to back down on it after everything that happened in episode one and use it to save Banagher instead. I'm pretty sure the show says that his parents split when he was younger due to things like his father hooking him up to the brain device, and he lived with his mother afterwards. I'm not sure she herself ever comes up in the show though, or her fate.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Maybe I missed it but I don't think I saw mention of Banager's parents. I know we don't exactly get a lot of info about them but I feel like the scenes with him hooked up to the brain torturing pilot teaching device are enough.

Banagher's dad is Cardeas Vist, who is a mega bastard who did the brain torturing pilot training stuff to Banagher as a kid to the point where he drove Banagher's mother to take Banagher with her and run away. Cardeas is accidentally reunited with Banagher in Unicorn Ep1, tries to shut Banagher out of what's going on, and then dumps the Unicorn on Banagher as a last ditch.

He's, uh, not a great guy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, yeah, to clarify I know his dad is vist I was just saying I didn't see mention of him in this conversation up until now is all.

And yeah I feel like thrusting the unicorn on him is just a final super dick move from a horrible parent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Get in the giant robot Shinji Banagher.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In my memory his father had pushed Banagher in to the Unicorn at the last moment to save him from what was happening in the colony, just before fire engulfed the mobile suit bay; watching back over it though, he doesn't seem to have any intention of giving it to Banagher initially, and is just surprised Banagher is there as he's apparently setting the Unicorn up for Gael before he himself dies, but when Banagher says that he wants to save Audrey, Cardias asks if he really believes in her and has confidence he can save her, then says that if he really does believe it and believe the hope for a better tomorrow, that he should use the Unicorn to do so. Which he imprints to him, before dying as flames destroy the bay outside the Unicorn. So it was still kind of a dick move to push the Unicorn on him, but there was obviously some good intentions there too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

You're making a lot of assumptions based on one scene. Amuro's room and habits in that one scene don't seem much different than even a lot of nerds who live with caring and attentive parents. The only examples we have of Tem's behaviour prior to the series is wanting to take his son in to space with him because he thinks it's important he see the Sides, and wanting to complete the Gundam asap, so that the war will be over faster and Amuro won't have to get involved in it like Bright. You can infer some of his behavior from other scenes, but it's open to interpretation and can be taken a lot of ways. Which you're choosing to do in just about the worst possible light.

Yes, one scene that's our introduction to Amuro, that's also the only scene we see of him as a civilian during the One Year War prior to the Origin.

If you only get one scene of something, you're usually meant to extrapolate a lot from it. Likewise, when the one scene we see of him with his son pre brain damage is him yelling at him without even going "Are you alright?", that's not suggesting much good.(If Amuro's out of the emergency shelter in a crisis, there's a fair chance that something bad happened with the shelters. Might be good to act like you give a drat about that rather than seeming pissed he's distracting you.)

Very little in fiction, and even less in animation, is coincidental. Things happen for a reason. Sometimes the reason is simply "We ran out of time" or "I like the color blue", but if the only scene we get with a character says something about his life, then it's reasonable to assume that is true for the character's life in general unless otherwise noted. (As Gary Larson was reminded of with "tethercat")

Something else (brought up by Mobile Suit Breakdown) is the (in)famous Bright Slap, where Amuro talks about how not even his own father hit him. Given the views on corporal punishment at the time, (and statements from the staff of the show) it's probably not meant to be a sign of how Tem was a good father despite everything. Instead, it's meant to indicate how little he had to do with Amuro's life. The absenteeism we see at the beginning wasn't an isolated incident because of the war. It was a constant pattern.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Maybe, just maybe you're meant to infer "Amuro is kind of a nerd who gets lost in his passion and isn't concerned about his social skills", rather than "Amuro is basically feral, and living in squalor because his father isn't around to care for him". Which, the fact that Mirai says he's famous as an engineering nerd in Side 7 when Bright who Amuro Ray is would back up. Not being neat or concerned about things is not the same as "literally cannot take care of himself". As for Tem, if everything in animation has a reason then the fact he only sees Amuro in the midst of an active battlefield in which the one thing he's invested himself in is in danger, and his advice for Amuro is "go to the secret Federation ship at the docks that no-one is supposed to know about" probably means something too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

all teenagers are feral when left to their own

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

all teenagers are feral when left to their own

And now I'm remembering on Iron Blooded Orphans when Biscuit went "I showered a week ago, I think? It should be fine."

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Tekkadan smelt so bad they had to have part of an episode involve people going out to buy soap.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ElBrak posted:

Tekkadan smelt so bad they had to have part of an episode involve people going out to buy soap.

Fortunately, Nadi started cleaning regularly in season 2.

(And, going back to an earlier topic, he wound up one of Gundam's rare good dads. The old man really did alright for himself in the end. Even runs his own company!)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zeta Gundam finished. Had a lot of mobile suit designs that I really liked, and it sold me on the Qubeley design that I wasn't too fond of otherwise. Watching Kamille's evolution (and lack of) over the series was pretty cool. Shame pretty much everyone he knows keeps dying!

ZZ next.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hope you like the return of the special guest star; SALT!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bright, we need salt!

Gets replaced with a burger machine three episodes later.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Relatedly shoutouts to Oscar Dublin and Marker Clan, two of the most consistently present characters in the original Gundam whose names you have to look up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or Job John.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

Relatedly shoutouts to Oscar Dublin and Marker Clan, two of the most consistently present characters in the original Gundam whose names you have to look up.

They were basically only ever present in those little raised chairs on the command deck, so you have to wonder if they slept in them. Or maybe they were just nailed in to them at some point.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I swear there were a couple of shots that showed the operators literally sleeping in their big chairs, so I imagine that sometimes they actually did do that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or Job John.

John got to pilot a guntank once!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

John got to pilot a guntank once!

He also gets multiple focus scenes in the Origin, placing him as one of the White Base's relative veterans and one of the most frequent background pilots.

I could believe someone knew his name just from reading the manga, unlike Oscar and Marker.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We ever get the canon butchers bill for the White Base volunteer crew due to the Ral raid?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

We ever get the canon butchers bill for the White Base volunteer crew due to the Ral raid?

Nameless replacements like the Tekkadan casualties from the Brewers ship raid?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

He also gets multiple focus scenes in the Origin, placing him as one of the White Base's relative veterans and one of the most frequent background pilots.

I could believe someone knew his name just from reading the manga, unlike Oscar and Marker.

Seconding this, Job John is actually a character. Yes, he is definitely C-list at very best, but he actually has a name and character design which puts him way ahead of background detail that occasionally talks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
As far as I can tell the only reason anyone remembers Job John from the original show is precisely because he's so unremarkable that he became a meme. I'd certainly remember Marker or Oscar before him, at the very least. I wouldn't remember their names, but I'd remember their existence. I wouldn't even recall Job John existed if not for regular jokes about him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

As far as I can tell the only reason anyone remembers Job John from the original show is precisely because he's so unremarkable that he became a meme. I'd certainly remember Marker or Oscar before him, at the very least. I wouldn't remember their names, but I'd remember their existence. I wouldn't even recall Job John existed if not for regular jokes about him.

He's a semi-major character in some random f91 prequel manga.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Plot twist: job john cucked iron mask

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The new secret F91 Mobile Suit is just a Ball projecting this image scaled up 30000x off of Minovsky particles in space

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Stairmaster posted:

Plot twist: job john cucked iron mask

Which would make him the guy who basically sells Cecily back to the Iron Mask.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
With Tem, I believe Amuro takes a lot after him in the "Gets lost in his work" part. I don't think Tem's harshness to Amuro is entirely meant to be "Bad Dad!" but it is also supposed to contrast the scene earlier when he's talking about kids as young as Bright getting into the war. He's not a good dad, but in his mind he work is for kids like his son.

Also

Turns out Cima may have survived in 0083 Rebellion?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

Seems she's meeting with Miller, too. That had any kind of setup previously to say what it's about?

On an unrelated note, finally started on Sentinel. So far, I'm not impressed. Somehow, the main pilot comes off as less disciplined than early series Kamille despite having spent years in the military. Also, he was apparently born on Side 7, which is physically impossible. He was born in UC 66, while construction planning on Side 7 didn't begin until UC 67. There's colonists being mentioned as unused to Earth gravity despite rotational force being enough to fake it for daily life...

It's weird.

Also, you know, not so good as a book in general, but the poor characters and the weird worldbuilding touches are easier to point at. (Like the Moon colonies being obsessively pro-Earthnoid, despite Zeta showing them as one of the main centers of AEUG sympathizers.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

Seems she's meeting with Miller, too. That had any kind of setup previously to say what it's about?

On an unrelated note, finally started on Sentinel. So far, I'm not impressed. Somehow, the main pilot comes off as less disciplined than early series Kamille despite having spent years in the military. Also, he was apparently born on Side 7, which is physically impossible. He was born in UC 66, while construction planning on Side 7 didn't begin until UC 67. There's colonists being mentioned as unused to Earth gravity despite rotational force being enough to fake it for daily life...

It's weird.

Also, you know, not so good as a book in general, but the poor characters and the weird worldbuilding touches are easier to point at. (Like the Moon colonies being obsessively pro-Earthnoid, despite Zeta showing them as one of the main centers of AEUG sympathizers.)

Miller's been around since Kou first took the GP-01 investigating the whole Gundam project. Recently she confronted the guy who in the OVA kills Lucille (She's still alive in the manga). Now, the thing is I was lead to believe that Bask killed Cima by betraying her in battle, so seeing her alive is uh... new.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Onmi posted:

With Tem, I believe Amuro takes a lot after him in the "Gets lost in his work" part. I don't think Tem's harshness to Amuro is entirely meant to be "Bad Dad!" but it is also supposed to contrast the scene earlier when he's talking about kids as young as Bright getting into the war. He's not a good dad, but in his mind he work is for kids like his son.

Also

Yesss.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

You guys make IBO sound way deeper than I remember it

Next time I rewatch it I shouldn’t be drunk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Truniht posted:

You guys make IBO sound way deeper than I remember it

Next time I rewatch it I shouldn’t be drunk

I mean it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer which is fairly par for the course with gundam shows.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer
I hope this is intentional considering Mika.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

question: why is naze, the man who transported an illegal weapon, wanted by gjallerhorn but tekkaden, the people who actually used the illegal weapon, not wanted by gjallerhorn?

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Because they didn't use the illegal weapon, they just have a railgun that could launch dainsleif. The possession of the gun is not illegal, but since it is typically only used for dainsleif its a bit of a grey area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

but all naze did was transport that same gun right?????