Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Elviscat posted:

You have a bad connection somewhere. Could be two things.

If you can read 120V across it with a multi meter with nothing running, it's a shared neutral that has a bad connection at or before it "y's" out, this is super dangerous because when you turn something like a shop vac on, it draws that side of the circuit down to near 0V, if something much smaller is plugged into the other "leg" of your single phase circuit, it will recieve close to 240V, and it's a fire hazard. The light on the cord working and the induction pen showing hot make me think it's this.

It could just be a bad connection somewhere not letting enough current flow through for a big load like a shop vac, this is also bad because that connection is probably getting really hot.

I'd start ripping all the outlets in that circuit apart looking for a bad connection, if you're comfortable with that.

If you're not, hire an electrician.

Both scenarios are fire hazards.

Thanks. I think this is enough for me to go on, I've got the tools.
The circuit is off for now and won't be used til I've found the bad connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Jenkl posted:

Thanks. I think this is enough for me to go on, I've got the tools.
The circuit is off for now and won't be used til I've found the bad connection.

Nice!

Check any outlets that have push-in connections in the back, those like to burn open.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just wanna say that everyone should put in outlets for Christmas lights under the eaves if they can; all that work was totally worth it. I added an additional GFCI circuit to the garage, with 3 more outlets inside, one outside the back garage exit door, and an outlet above the door in the foyer for decorations. I also ran three outlets under the eaves left of the garage, by the front door, and on the second level for next year once we buy more lights. Why bother with extension cords if you don’t have to?

Thanks to this thread for pointing me in the right direction especially when it comes to reinforcing safety practices I already knew, but always worth remembering.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Literally told my wife that as we redo and update our house that’s one thing that is going to happen. Looks awesome.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Grr.
Guess which circuit the insulators turned on after being explicitly told not to touch it?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jenkl posted:

Grr.
Guess which circuit the insulators turned on after being explicitly told not to touch it?

Always tape the breaker when working on a circuit. Also duct tape the panel door closed and write "do not touch" on the tape in sharpie.

Then, set up home-alone style security system that hits any ne'er do wells with swinging paint cans.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jenkl posted:

Grr.

Hit the main, lock the panel. gently caress em.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

My panel doesn't have a cover.
I'll tape/sign it if I ever encounter this in the future.

I'd heard about that before but figured the verbal warning would be good.

This is the first time someone other than me would've been working while I had circuits killed. Actually other than my wife who's working with me, I don't know that anyone else has even been in the home while we had circuits off.

Im still struggling to process how someone would just ignore warnings about electricity - like it's as much for their sake as mine.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Jenkl posted:

You mean it doesn't have the little bit that covers the breakers, not that all the wires and busswork are exposed, right?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Elviscat posted:

You mean it doesn't have the little bit that covers the breakers, not that all the wires and busswork are exposed, right?

Yes, no cover for breakers. The wires/busswork are not exposed.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Jenkl posted:

I'll tape/sign it if I ever encounter this in the future.

I'd heard about that before but figured the verbal warning would be good.

This is the first time someone other than me would've been working while I had circuits killed. Actually other than my wife who's working with me, I don't know that anyone else has even been in the home while we had circuits off.

Im still struggling to process how someone would just ignore warnings about electricity - like it's as much for their sake as mine.
You mean there is no door covering your swtiches? At first I thought you meant all of the knockout tabs where you install the breakers were missing.

What I think is a little scary is houses in California (and possibly other areas, but all the house flipper shows were in CA) with the breaker box mounted outside the house. I like the piece of mind in knowing that a random teenager can not walk up to the back of my house and flip my lights off because that's what is popular on Tik Tok this week. If anything, I would actually be worried about a burglar flipping off the power to try to disable any security system or cameras. I assume these boxes could be secured by a padlock but I also think a lot of people would leave the padlock off because it's too much effort when you already have to get dressed and go outside whenever a breaker trips. Similarly, what do you do when you trip a breaker and it's raining outside? I'm sure there must be some advantages to a breaker box mounted outside but I cant think of any.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm sure there must be some advantages to a breaker box mounted outside but I cant think of any.

When your house is on fire or flooded, emergency personnel can cut the power quickly.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It also keeps the potential for a utility-level high current fault condition to your outdoor box and conductors.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I am a new house owner with no electrical experience / know-how. I have a question to the experts of Doorbell wiring that may save me some time and effort. I'm attaching a pic of my front door, you'll see in red where the old doorbell is. The seller said hasn't worked since he's owned it (a couple years). He installed a wireless door chime on the right (in green).

I want to put in an Arlo doorbell camera, but if I fix/replace the wiring of the old doorbell it will be pointing wrong as it's mounted on the side even arrange to be pointing out it wouldn't have the view I would want. I like the concept of the door camera having a panoramic eye on my front yard. I would like to put it around where he has the wireless chime, but that white frame you're looking at is solid wood.

Is there some way around this? There is a wireless Arlo doorbell camera coming out soon (I have an Arlo camera system so I want to keep it homogeneous) so could always wait for that, but I would prefer wired.

Any insight? Feel free to disappoint, I'm used to it. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Of course anything CAN be done. But at a minimum you're gonna be pulling off a load of door/window trim either inside or outside. Not knowing where you need to get to after that, whether you have a basement or it's on a slab, etc I couldn't hazard any further guess.

Edit:

SpartanIvy posted:

When your house is on fire or flooded, emergency personnel can cut the power quickly.

We can already do that. We pull meters here.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

You have your meter on the outside of your house? How do you monitor your electricity usage during storms?

just kidding

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

2020 NEC now requires an outdoor, main disconnect specifically for emergency use (e.g. firefighters.) I believe it can be locked with a simple padlock (since a fireman can cut that easily), but I haven't seen anyone go on record allowing it.

I also marvel at outdoor breaker panels, but I live in the Mid-Atlantic where that box would be corroded beyond recognition and full of mouse nests within about 2 years.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

2020 NEC now requires an outdoor, main disconnect specifically for emergency use (e.g. firefighters.) I believe it can be locked with a simple padlock (since a fireman can cut that easily), but I haven't seen anyone go on record allowing it.

I also marvel at outdoor breaker panels, but I live in the Mid-Atlantic where that box would be corroded beyond recognition and full of mouse nests within about 2 weeks.

Fixed.
Yeah I'm very surprised when I see them in videos etc being in the Northeast USA. I agree with disconnects for firefighers etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My outdoor panel / meter combo unit gets hit with the sprinklers every odd numbered day. It has no lock on it. If it ever faulted on the utility side it would be quite the spectacle given the 1.x" metal conduit that runs inside the 2x4 stud bay to the panel In our bedroom wall. Fight me. (Better hope the fire isn't caused by something on the utility side of the meter. Seems like good advice in general.)

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Motronic posted:

Of course anything CAN be done. But at a minimum you're gonna be pulling off a load of door/window trim either inside or outside. Not knowing where you need to get to after that, whether you have a basement or it's on a slab, etc I couldn't hazard any further guess.

Edit:

Wireless it is! Thanks. :)

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

If the existing wiring is OK you could just build a small 3 sided box in that corner with the outer face at a 45 degree angle to mount the wired doorbell camera on.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I was sent here from the homeowner's thread. Essentially: we had a pretty big rain storm, and now the outlets that have the Christmas decorations plugged in outside (that my wife demanded to put out early ) aren't working. I've tried to reset the breaker without any luck (ie: flip it off/on), and one of the indoor outlets on a different circuit has a light with a GFI that won't go out/let me reset it. Anything else I should try before a I call an electrician?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Residency Evil posted:

I was sent here from the homeowner's thread. Essentially: we had a pretty big rain storm, and now the outlets that have the Christmas decorations plugged in outside (that my wife demanded to put out early ) aren't working. I've tried to reset the breaker without any luck (ie: flip it off/on), and one of the indoor outlets on a different circuit has a light with a GFI that won't go out/let me reset it. Anything else I should try before a I call an electrician?

Unplug all of the outdoor lights and try that GFI again. If you're 100% sure it's on a different circuit, then call an electrician. If you're not absolutely, 100% completely positive, I suspect that one indoor GFI is feeding your outside receptacles.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Unplug all of the outdoor lights and try that GFI again. If you're 100% sure it's on a different circuit, then call an electrician. If you're not absolutely, 100% completely positive, I suspect that one indoor GFI is feeding your outside receptacles.

I'll give it a shot when I get home. On the indoor socket, the GFI light is on, reset button is pushed in, and the test button doesn't do anything, if that helps.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Residency Evil posted:

I'll give it a shot when I get home. On the indoor socket, the GFI light is on, reset button is pushed in, and the test button doesn't do anything, if that helps.

Ok, then there's something else going on. "light on and button in" means working on some GFIs, depending on the light. Test button not working usually means "GFI broken."

Outdoor receptacles must be GFCI protected if your house is in any way modern, so figure out where the GFCI protection is and reset that.

Safety tip: test your GFCIs!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Ok, then there's something else going on. "light on and button in" means working on some GFIs, depending on the light. Test button not working usually means "GFI broken."

Outdoor receptacles must be GFCI protected if your house is in any way modern, so figure out where the GFCI protection is and reset that.

Safety tip: test your GFCIs!

Just to double check, by GFCI protection, you mean the button on the outdoor outlet, right?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Residency Evil posted:

Just to double check, by GFCI protection, you mean the button on the outdoor outlet, right?

Well, I mean the entire concept of some method of protecting the circuit from ground faults. A GFCI breaker is one option, as are GFCI receptacles. The Receptacles have a test and a reset button, and sometimes a light indicating status.

If your stuff is plugged into a GFCI outlet outside and it neither tests nor resets (neither button does anything) when nothing is plugged in, then you've got issues somewhere else.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
GFCI receptacles do wear out and die, as do the breakers. If it won't reset with nothing plugged in, there's either a problem elsewhere or the receptacle has died.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Take a $10 non-contact voltage tester from home depot and try it on the sides of your GFCI outlet. If it doesn't give you a BEEP, then you know the circuit to that GFCI itself is off. Otherwise, the receptacle is dead.

If the circuit is off, then it's most likely somebody wired that GFCI from another GFCI that has tripped. Or your house wiring is loose everywhere.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh, so I traveled around the house resetting all of the gfis I could find. Still don’t have power to the bathroom (reset button pushed in, test button doesn’t work, light on) or the outside (test/reset don’t work).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

movax posted:

Hold my beer while I hit this 2/0 zipline :getin:

Ouch. I made the thread title. Hah!

No, I was invited to build a "spare room". It's gonna be a few months off, but I'll be sure to drop a tour of the cottage when done. Two weeks ago we cleared a hole in the woods along one of the roads, placed footings, and built the platform the cottage will stand on. (We means the property owner and I.)

You'll be happy to know, I'll be renting a trencher to run power lines.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 2, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh, so I traveled around the house resetting all of the gfis I could find. Still don’t have power to the bathroom (reset button pushed in, test button doesn’t work, light on) or the outside (test/reset don’t work).

Don't ask me why the master bath is on the same circuit as our porch lights, but here we are, and replacing the bathroom GFI plug worked!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Don't ask me why the master bath is on the same circuit as our porch lights, but here we are, and replacing the bathroom GFI plug worked!

Not really surprising. A lot of places were wired as room/area swaps between lighting in one room and outlets in another.

Failing that level of planning, sometimes it's just "poo poo, we need another fixture over there. Let's grab the closest piece of hot romex in a box and go from there."

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Not really surprising. A lot of places were wired as room/area swaps between lighting in one room and outlets in another.

yeah, that master bath is right over the porch so it kind of makes sense.

My wife will be so proud of me. :downs:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

yeah, that master bath is right over the porch so it kind of makes sense.

That's gotta be a COLD floor. Make her really proud and install a heated floor.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

That's gotta be a COLD floor. Make her really proud and install a heated floor.

Floor temp is fine, because the master bath is hardwood. :negative:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Residency Evil posted:

Congrats!

A lot of places have "all GFCIs" on one circuit. My house has the master bath with one GFCI outlet, which chains off to another outlet in the bath, then the front porch outlet and lights, then the second bathroom's outlets about 30' away. The lights for both bathrooms are on the same circuit, too. Oddly enough, there's a half bath off the mud/utility room that has its own circuit, with a single GFCI outlet and light fixture.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I recently installed a sewage effluent pump and I would like to automate and create a robust alarm system. I'm used to working on marine electrical (as an engineer, not an electrician), so I've typically worked with over-engineered stuff. In this residential case, I would still like an outdoor waterproof enclosure I can install the components. But I'm not sure of where I can find inexpensive suppliers for electrical and automation equipment. Any suggestions? (preferably that ships to Canada?). They typical online retailers (amazon) don't seem to have anything.

And does anybody have any experience/suggestions for DIY automating residential sewage pumps? My biggest concern is if the pump runs for extended periods of time due to loss of prime or clogging, and simply using a buzzer may not work because maybe we're gone for a day. I don't want to kill an $800 pump.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kindest Forums User posted:

I recently installed a sewage effluent pump and I would like to automate and create a robust alarm system. I'm used to working on marine electrical (as an engineer, not an electrician), so I've typically worked with over-engineered stuff. In this residential case, I would still like an outdoor waterproof enclosure I can install the components. But I'm not sure of where I can find inexpensive suppliers for electrical and automation equipment. Any suggestions? (preferably that ships to Canada?). They typical online retailers (amazon) don't seem to have anything.

And does anybody have any experience/suggestions for DIY automating residential sewage pumps? My biggest concern is if the pump runs for extended periods of time due to loss of prime or clogging, and simply using a buzzer may not work because maybe we're gone for a day. I don't want to kill an $800 pump.

Your pump should have thermal protection to prevent damage from happening when running dry, and any of the standard tank alarms with the floater should take care of the overflow condition. You may even be able to find one with some dry contacts to throw at your home automation setup.

(you're over-thinking this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Probably stupid question, this house is wired with CAT5e already accept it was terminated all voice, so I'm re terminating it for Ethernet. I have one extra cable in my media enclosure tied to another cable with the wiring and a diode or something capping at the end.

What does this mean? Can I take them apart and throw RJ45 caps on them?