Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I see where Shin-G got his dental plan from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

G v K may be snagged by HBO Max and hit digital . Netflix tried to snag it too.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'm surprised with all the vaccine news they're not just letting it wait, maybe it's just a sign of general things to come.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Even if everyone gets cured, theaters are still hosed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it'll take a while for the theaters to recover. And even if they do open, GvK would be opening right in the middle of a bunch of leftovers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I hope this happens. If it comes out as planned, even if covid is totally solved and there are no more problems, it's still slated come out in the middle of a ton of a big movies. It would be much better for the franchise if the movie came out on streaming now than if it came out in theaters next year and flopped.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
"Haha, who would sign up for a streaming service for one movie," I think to myself, knowing that nothing could change this opinion until someone says Godzilla vs. Kong

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I hope this happens. If it comes out as planned, even if covid is totally solved and there are no more problems, it's still slated come out in the middle of a ton of a big movies. It would be much better for the franchise if the movie came out on streaming now than if it came out in theaters next year and flopped.

OTOH it'll be a shame not to be able to see it on the big screen.

And goddamit HBOMax just make the deal with Roku already Peacock already folded you got no leverage

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Had a good day painting an rear end in a top hat space chicken.

Gaigan: Super rear end in a top hat by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gorgeous work there

Gigan is such a great heel

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPhz6h_E5oQ

Hot drat that looks so good

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Burkion posted:

Gorgeous work there

Gigan is such a great heel

Real talk explain why you like him

I know you’re willing to expound at length on this kind of poo poo and I just do not get Gigan

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gigan is just half of the Gigan/Megalon best bros combo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

I know you’re willing to expound at length on this kind of poo poo and I just do not get Gigan

I’ve never seen a film with gigan in it but he has sick claw hands

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DeimosRising posted:

he's a cyborg monster from space with sword hands, a Cyclops visor, and a circular saw for a belly. And despite having a beak and visor and mouth claws, his facial expression still somehow perfectly expresses that he's a dick.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Gigan just feels like a real rear end in a top hat, more than any other monster. The look on his face is contemptuous, and the way he laughs and bangs his claws together makes him feel purposeful in his dickishness. Plus, he really did a number on Godzilla, opening up his shoulder and his head, and he hosed up Anguirus' eye too. It's very satisfying in Godzilla vs. Gigan when Godzilla gets a second wind and knocks the poo poo out of him. He's a villain you love to hate.

Edit: lol beaten, least it's not just me who gets that vibe from him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

Well a lot of people chimed in before I could but I'll still take a swing, because my love for Gigan goes beyond the movies. One important bit of history between me and that dumb, dumb kaiju is that he has been in my life longer than I can actually remember.

I have always owned a copy of three Godzilla films in particular. Godzilla 1985, Godzilla VS the Sea Monster and Godzilla VS Megalon. I have been watching them for literally longer than I can actually remember. So judging Gigan objectively, that's not something that's

Easy. To me he's just always been there. He's a big ole coward bitch baby and I love him dearly. His design is really unique, edging into the Ultraman aesthetic, and he was always just a neat secondary threat. Not big boy enough to hold his own film, but always a welcome addition to any baddie roster. He's not an all star kaiju, and he doesn't really need to be. He's a flunky. Ghidorah's little pest.

But even beyond the movies, because let's be real here, VS Gigan and VS Megalon are not good by any reasonable definition, for very different reasons, growing up with this little poo poo was an experience. He had some unique roles in media growing up that went into the books and the online fiction communities would create. Delving into what he might have been like before being made into a cyborg was a great experience in the early 2000s.

Even accepting that he's not in any all time great films, his role is still really fun as the dumb coward bully. He's got a lot of personality, a unique design, and since his sole movie isn't Megalon, he gets to pretend that he's more respectable than his cohort. His city destruction scene in Gigan is actually really nice looking too, a rarity at that stage of the movies.

I'm actually a lot colder on FW Gigan, but that's due to people over hyping him. He's still as much of a doofus as ever, cutting his own head off, but some of the charm is gone. I prefer my dumpy lumpy boy from the Showa Era over Mr. Edgy. Though I will say, I prefer Final Wars Gigan from the movie far more than the Merch.

The merch gets downright horny with his design, slimming him up and making him anime as hell. Its a real weird disconnect from the tryhard loser who went all in on double chainsaw hands

Violator
May 15, 2003

Everybody's favorite topic: dream talk! For some reason I dreamed last night that there was a big magazine spread revealing Godzilla v Kong and it turns out the entire movie was filmed as if it were one of those 90's computer games like Diablo or StarCraft. Very far away from the action and at a 3/4 perspective pointing down. The general public hated it but the thread loved it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That sounds sick

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

All Godzillas are beautiful

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I like Gigan for all the reasons given- but mostly because as a kid he was just so over the top that ya had to love him. A cyborg kaiju from space with giant scythe arms and a buzz saw belly! I do also love that he’s tubby and that more than any other Godzilla bad guy he’s a total wrestling heel character. He’s just incredibly fun!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

All Godzillas are beautiful

The Godzilla of Zur-En-Arrh

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had always had the impression since childhood that Gigan was the uniquely dickish enemy and its feels weirdly validating to find out that's a shared opinion.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did the 4k release of Godzilla 2014 fix the overly dimness?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Gigan was also the first enemy in a while who just loving *fought*. His hands are blades and he will cut you up. The Tsubaraya monsters tended to be more elaborate and utilize a lot of puppetry and tried to avoid human shapes. In Nakano's films the new kaiju tend to be humanoid, which is a little less technically impressive but it does allow for more visceral fight scenes. (Which they had to rely on more because it was cheaper than destroying model buildings.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did the 4k release of Godzilla 2014 fix the overly dimness?

What 4k release?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Welp. Before I made that post, I did a Google search and scrolled down and saw a 4K UHD Blu-ray cover. But it turns out it was someone on Blu-ray.com's forums who made a mock-up in a wish list thread. :v:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
KOTM is the only 4k Godzilla release in the US, right?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I had to get Shin Godzilla in Japan for the 4k UHD.

Totally worth it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gigan was my favorite Godzilla villain as a kid, just as Scyther was my favorite Pokemon and just as I always went as the Grim Reaper for Halloween.

Scythes are just cool, man.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gigan is a plainly self aware tryhard space rear end in a top hat. He's not a traditional monster or freak of nature. That would make him extra fun for an appearance in the modern naturalistic movies, but alas.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Chainsaw hands!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gigan is the Tully Blanchard of the kaiju world and I will hear no arguments otherwise.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Never forget :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kIANKjVEs

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I finally watched Godzilla vs Megalon. Not even CLOSE to the worst Godzilla film. So freaking entertaining.

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah- I totally don’t get the hate for ‘Vs Megalon’. It’s one of my favorites!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Gigan is the Tully Blanchard of the kaiju world and I will hear no arguments otherwise.

Who are the other horsemen? Who is the Mongo of Kaiju?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

Who are the other horsemen? Who is the Mongo of Kaiju?

Sometimes watching clips of Mongo feels like a dream so I'll say Gabra.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Magic Pus posted:

It's honestly probably my favourite of all the ones I've seen so far, even if objectively speaking it's far, far from the best. It (or maybe vs Ghidorah) would be my go-to introduction for friends who just want to have a fun, goofy time, y'know? It's just an entertaining movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Magic Pus posted:

Like most of the late 60s/70s movies it gets thrown into the "this is dumb gay poo poo for kids" dumpster even though it's easily better than pretty much any of the 90s movies