Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have yet to find an actually great dragon companion/rider book and it makes me sad. There are some good ones - Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede comes to mind, and Jane Yolen's Pit Dragons - but there are none that hit that magic balance of super indulgent/cool AND with plotty worldbuilding. Pern comes closest and ehhhhhhhnnnn.

Also while I'm in here lemme respond:

Rianlee posted:

Jennifer Roberson's Cheysuli Chronicles. I vaguely remember there being companion animals.

After looking it up more, the companion animals are lir. There's a lot of rape/threats of rape in the series, which might be triggering. Even then, I liked them enough to buy them when they came out in paperback in the 80s and 90s.

These books have been on my radar forever and I'm probably going to read the first one soon. I would love it if there were more of these types of novels (women-written fantasy with cool animals) without rape but apparently not.

Also, since I finally remembered it, anyone read the Gayle Greeno Ghatti's Tale novels? Five books with magic cats!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also, since I finally remembered it, anyone read the Gayle Greeno Ghatti's Tale novels? Five books with magic cats!!

I read and re-read the first one a ton when I was in middle school. I got around to the others eventually from the library, but since I had picked up the first one from a bookstore I could read it whenever. Another good entry in the sci-fantasy genre since the later books start to dive into the history of the planetary colonists.

Even at a young age I remember the most remarkable thing about the books was the representation. I had never read a fantasy book where the main character was a middle-aged woman who had undergone major career/family changes prior to the events of the novel. Fantasy was all about young people discovering themselves and going on quests.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finished another book and I'm gonna gush, here's my goodreads review:

The Queen of Ieflaria by Effie Calvin.

Oh, that was delightful! A short yet sweet fantasy romance that took the concept of an arranged marriage and played with it, then tossed in all kinds of fun twists on fantasy setting ideas. If you've ever read of any Mercedes Lackey's fantasy novels this felt similar to those, but without the extreme angst.

The concept is, Princess Esofi has been sent to Ieflaria to fulfill a marriage contract she was signed into when she was three. Except when she gets there, he's dead to an accident and the Queen and King are determined to have a wedding anyways - so she must choose between marrying Princess Adale or a pair of twins who would be the next in line to the throne. You can already tell who she's going to marry, eh? It's not the kind of book to keep you guessing, even if the characters take time to figure it out themselves.

I've taken a star from the rating because it suffers from first novel syndrome, and the first 20% or so of the book is drowned under too much infodumping. The author has developed a setting she's in love with and so there's a LOT of writing about it instead of character interactions or anything else, and it's slooooow. Fortunately the book isn't long, so once you muscle through and the characters get to talking, it turns into a delightful romp. Esofi and Adale have to learn each other, and there's a fascinating plot: dragons have been invading Ieflaria more and more - why? And why has magic abandoned the country?

I love how Esofi was ready to burn down a hospital due to its scientific blasphemy, even if this wasn't a huge part of the novel - the goddess of magic turned from Ieflaria for other reasons, and Adale helps Esofi learn why.

Overall this is a fun, light romance with some cool action sequences, and the setting is fascinating, which makes me thrilled to see so many sequels. I'd happily recommend this to anyone, as it's just the perfect palate cleanser between heavier books.

e: oh yeah, if you want it it's 4.19$ on the publisher's website. Cheaper than amazon and DRM free.

I know this was some pages back but I picked it up and read through it and yes, it is very much a first novel--but I still finished it and enjoyed the romantic bits. The second one is much stronger IMO, showing a lot of improvement and characterization. Anyway if you want light fantasy romance, it is pretty good stuff.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I picked it up based on that recommendation too but found it really boring :negative:.

The main pairing just didn't have enough chemistry for me to get past the infodumping and lack of stakes in the first half of the novel.

edit: oh, having a look at the series, they seem to be standalone, so I might try out the second one and see if I like that better.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 28, 2020

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I'd recommend doing so, the second is a massive improvement IMO.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a translated cultivation/xianxia novel which is worth reading? I’m curious wtf is up with this genre.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tildes posted:

Is there a translated cultivation/xianxia novel which is worth reading? I’m curious wtf is up with this genre.

While it’s not translated (it’s originally in English), the Cradle series is a pretty good intro-to-Xianxia anime series. And the whole thing is free on kindle unlimited.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Monkey posted:

While it’s not translated (it’s originally in English), the Cradle series is a pretty good intro-to-Xianxia anime series. And the whole thing is free on kindle unlimited.
Yeah, Cradle's pretty much it

like if you want the legitimate experience of reading through a crappily translated serially-published bloat monster, you could breeze through Cultivation Chat Group which is at least sometimes funny [but also a bit heavy on the gay jokes] and reasonably well translated

but don't

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

tildes posted:

no

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
you know how there's a whole LitRPG thing where people have been so brain-poisoned by computer games that they can only understand stories if Number Goes Up? xianxia is very closely related but with significant 'it's from CHINA, DAD, you wouldn't GET it' energy from white nerds

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Uh changing the subject, I read Survival by Julie Czerneda and it's... almost there, to me. This thread talked about it before but it was a while ago, so the back-page summary is: a salmon researcher gets pulled into investigating die-offs on an interplanetary scale by an alien archaeologist whose species doesn't allow learning biology... therefore he recruits her, the scientist, and her best friend. Put like that, and since it's written by a biologist, you expect a really interesting scifi thing where the main character uses her knowledge of biology to figure out what's going on and have an uphill battle to gather enough evidence to convince people, which would be awesome, except instead she gets pulled into an action based conspiracy with both personal and large scale action scenes. It's all done really well, but the version of the book that only exists in my head makes me a lot less interested in the book as it exists, no matter how well it's done.

Anybody who's read the sequels - is it more of the same?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Phobeste posted:

Uh changing the subject, I read Survival by Julie Czerneda and it's... almost there, to me. This thread talked about it before but it was a while ago, so the back-page summary is: a salmon researcher gets pulled into investigating die-offs on an interplanetary scale by an alien archaeologist whose species doesn't allow learning biology... therefore he recruits her, the scientist, and her best friend. Put like that, and since it's written by a biologist, you expect a really interesting scifi thing where the main character uses her knowledge of biology to figure out what's going on and have an uphill battle to gather enough evidence to convince people, which would be awesome, except instead she gets pulled into an action based conspiracy with both personal and large scale action scenes. It's all done really well, but the version of the book that only exists in my head makes me a lot less interested in the book as it exists, no matter how well it's done.

Anybody who's read the sequels - is it more of the same?

Yeah. If you don't like the first book it's not going to wow you with the rest of them. I loved it, but it's very Star Trek-esque in a great way.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have yet to find an actually great dragon companion/rider book and it makes me sad. There are some good ones - Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede comes to mind, and Jane Yolen's Pit Dragons - but there are none that hit that magic balance of super indulgent/cool AND with plotty worldbuilding. Pern comes closest and ehhhhhhhnnnn.

Have you read the Rain wild chronicles by Robin Hobb. It is not the classic dragon companion story, but it was a good read. Separate storyline from the Apprentice series but I really liked it.

Disclaimer: I will by default like any Robin Hobb book. At this point she is the only surviving author of my formative years in fantasy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Have you read the Rain wild chronicles by Robin Hobb. It is not the classic dragon companion story, but it was a good read. Separate storyline from the Apprentice series but I really liked it.

Disclaimer: I will by default like any Robin Hobb book. At this point she is the only surviving author of my formative years in fantasy.

I haven't read any Robin Hobb yet. The biggest reason I haven't gone for her yet is that I hear her stuff gets sad and it's been a rough year. But I've seen her recced a lot and I'd like to dive in eventually.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah. If you don't like the first book it's not going to wow you with the rest of them. I loved it, but it's very Star Trek-esque in a great way.

Yeah what the book is is good but unfortunately I can't get past what I thought it would be. Oh well

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Phobeste posted:

Yeah what the book is is good but unfortunately I can't get past what I thought it would be. Oh well
I got the trilogy in a single volume and ended up with similar emotions (well, maybe not the endpoint of 'is good'). There was a very cool novella about sci-fi far-future salmon ecological restoration here, but it was buried alive inside three big political thrillers.
(full trilogy spoilers) And I've got to say, (1) it's not actually playing with reader expectations to have the secretive-and-seemingly-evil-aliens* turn out to be super evil after all; and (2) after spending the entire series trying to stop the preemptive genocide of a species possessing a hugely dangerous biological life cycle because goddamnit there has to be a better way!, dealing with said secretive-and-super-evil-aliens by genociding them all because 'eh, they're all assholes and inimical to life or something, problem heroically solved!' came off as decidedly lazy and hosed up.

*seriously their scout drones made evil noises and left evil slime trails and they had TENTACLES. All they needed was a hive mind lacking understanding of the concept of individuality and we've got a full bingo

edit: and now that I'm looking up stuff online I'm being reminded about things that I disliked at the time but had completely forgotten, like the unending and desperate attempts to give the main character gradeschool-level chemistry with secret agent guy when she seemed to be at 100/10 gals-bein'-pals with her VERY GOOD FRIEND, THAT IS ALL, JUST MY BEST FRIEND from the first page they interacted, even before said best friend got Princess Peach'd by super evil aliens and she vowed to go Marioing for her. Maybe it would've taken more than just added ecological restoration and fewer gunfights/spaceships to make me like this trilogy.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 28, 2020

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

pradmer posted:

A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1) by Arkady Martine - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7BCB88/

Thanks for this, I've had my eye on this one for a while and I'm enjoying it so far, reminds me of Goblin Emperor a bit

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Re: Pern, I've only read one of them, Dragondawn, which I think was a later prequel. It's basically the origin story of the setting, with a technical society (a new planetary colony) having to resort to dragons (which are indigenous to the planet) to combat the unexpected menace of the Thread, when other methods fail.

The only thing I really remember about the story is that some kind of distress beacon is set off by the colonists that'll summon a rescue ship/mission, but since it's all STL it'll take hundreds of years to get there. It was kind of interesting to have an SF time-bomb ticking behind a fantasy setting, but not sufficiently interesting that I read any more of the series to see if there was ever a pay-off.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Horizon Burning posted:

you know how there's a whole LitRPG thing where people have been so brain-poisoned by computer games that they can only understand stories if Number Goes Up? xianxia is very closely related but with significant 'it's from CHINA, DAD, you wouldn't GET it' energy from white nerds

Hm I think maybe I don’t actually know what LitRPG or Xianxia is tbh. My impression is just that there is a Chinese cultural phenomenon where they are really into writing books about people studying the Dao but I think I’m missing some key parts here. (Ok yea some googling suggests i didn’t have a super clear idea of what this was. Ty for all the context)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Captain Monkey posted:

Ohhh I actually am familiar with this series. I see what y’all mean about leveling up now, that makes sense.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't read any Robin Hobb yet. The biggest reason I haven't gone for her yet is that I hear her stuff gets sad and it's been a rough year. But I've seen her recced a lot and I'd like to dive in eventually.

Well, yeah, that is an accurate description.
Hobb doesn’t write the fairy tale endings, although a lot of her protagonists have plot armor. The books are well worth reading and while they might be a struggle at times, they are well worth it. But then again , I have read Hobb the last 25 years or so.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Well, yeah, that is an accurate description.
Hobb doesn’t write the fairy tale endings, although a lot of her protagonists have plot armor. The books are well worth reading and while they might be a struggle at times, they are well worth it. But then again , I have read Hobb the last 25 years or so.

My favorite author, CJ Cherryh, is one I wouldn't be up to reading this year if I didn't already adore her stuff - she writes dark/sad stuff as well, and yeah. So don't take this as a knock against Robin Hobb!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hobnob posted:

The only thing I really remember about the story is that some kind of distress beacon is set off by the colonists that'll summon a rescue ship/mission, but since it's all STL it'll take hundreds of years to get there. It was kind of interesting to have an SF time-bomb ticking behind a fantasy setting, but not sufficiently interesting that I read any more of the series to see if there was ever a pay-off.

Boy, would you have been disappointed if you'd kept reading.

The pay-off is a short story, set within living memory of Dragondawn. Spaceship arrives, but it's threadfall season so the Holds are in hunker mode and their scans fail to pick up life. Except for one outpost on the southern continent. It's the daughter of the geneticist, her husband, and their daughters, clinging on in a cave somewhere. They think everyone else is dead, say so, it turns out the husband is running some incest misery bunker where he's loving the daughters (why), and so the ship marks the planet as dead and sails off into the void. The end.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
:magical: I am so glad I stopped reading Pern books after being forced to read Dragonsong in elementary school and bouncing hard off the second one.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Drakyn posted:

There was a very cool novella about sci-fi far-future salmon ecological restoration here

I did not know until this moment how much I wanted to read a novel about far-future ecological investigation / restoration. Salmon optional, but not unwelcome.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DurianGray posted:

I also remember one of the Pern books to be the first time that something just viscerally threw me out of a story because of how unexpected/tone-breaking it was to me. I don't remember the exact book but there's a part toward the beginning of it where the characters find a (spoiler I guess?) computer that explains what the Thread is. Nothing in the books I'd read before that made it seem like the setting was anything other than fantasy-medieval-ish, so it came across as very :psyduck:

The very fist book’s opening prologue makes clear that despite the general fantasy feel, Pern is extremely a sci-fi series at heart. The spoiler thing they find isn’t too surprising because iirc there are similar things that show up before then as well.

I kinda want to finish the pern series but it sounds like a lot of books after the first trilogy is side story and background filler so idk when the main story starts back up. The setting itself is cool but he nature of the dragon nests is extremely hosed.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Kestral posted:

I did not know until this moment how much I wanted to read a novel about far-future ecological investigation / restoration. Salmon optional, but not unwelcome.

Playing God by Sarah Zettel. The setup is about a human contracted to do ecological restoration for some aliens, however the plot is mostly about the interplay between intra and inter species politics.

Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
by Kelly Robson. Some humans go back in time to do an ecological survey as preparation for an ecological restoration project. A goon gave me this for secret Santa last year and it was a good fun read.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well, does one dragon bonding with one person(sort of?)count? There's The Tale of the Five series by Diane Duane, although the bonding doesn't happen until the second book. In regards to magic cats, there's the Feline Wizards trilogy that she also wrote. Her books in general are very uplifting and positive, although I haven't read her most recent books, so am not sure if it still holds true.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rianlee posted:

Well, does one dragon bonding with one person(sort of?)count? There's The Tale of the Five series by Diane Duane, although the bonding doesn't happen until the second book. In regards to magic cats, there's the Feline Wizards trilogy that she also wrote. Her books in general are very uplifting and positive, although I haven't read her most recent books, so am not sure if it still holds true.

Diane Duane is an incredible writer with one flaw: she will heroically kill off a major side character at the finale of every novel. She even did this in her Star Trek novels! :sigh:

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Diane Duane is an incredible writer with one flaw: she will heroically kill off a major side character at the finale of every novel. She even did this in her Star Trek novels! :sigh:

Maybe I should re-read The Tales of the Five again, because I definitely don't recall that happening there. In every other series, yeah, pretty much.

E. Wait, there was. I guess I was not as attached to the side characters in that series as I was with the Wizards series.

Rianlee fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 29, 2020

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I actually think they're all pretty different plot-wise but if you didn't like the writing it won't get better

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I finally looked up how Pern ended - how they defeated Thread and resolved the whole situation and I'm so glad I looked it up instead of reading it, as it's combination creative, epic, and stupid as all hell. I think preteen me would have been dissatisfied, so I'm glad I wasn't able to find the rest of the books back then.

It's nice to have some closure, though. Even if it reveals that in a post-defeating Thread world, Pern finds magic dolphins and then everyone is happy with dolphins and dragons forever amen.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

My favorite author, CJ Cherryh, is one I wouldn't be up to reading this year if I didn't already adore her stuff - she writes dark/sad stuff as well, and yeah. So don't take this as a knock against Robin Hobb!

I have read Downbelow station and have the Chanur series on my to read list. You are not actually selling me on her by this description.
Mostly because it is an emotional struggle to read Hobb that I need to push through since I know it is worth it.
Speaking of Hobb, the Bone ships series by Barker is very reminiscent of Hobbs writing and worlds. Highly enjoyable for the same reasons.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

StrixNebulosa posted:

I finally looked up how Pern ended - how they defeated Thread and resolved the whole situation and I'm so glad I looked it up instead of reading it, as it's combination creative, epic, and stupid as all hell. I think preteen me would have been dissatisfied, so I'm glad I wasn't able to find the rest of the books back then.

I remember being pretty happy with it as a kid (and cut up about Robinton's death), but I tried re-reading Weyrs a year or two back and I don't think I made it more than a fifth of the way through.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiac posted:

I have read Downbelow station and have the Chanur series on my to read list. You are not actually selling me on her by this description.
Mostly because it is an emotional struggle to read Hobb that I need to push through since I know it is worth it.
Speaking of Hobb, the Bone ships series by Barker is very reminiscent of Hobbs writing and worlds. Highly enjoyable for the same reasons.

Downbelow Station sucks. Chanur series meanwhile is my favorite thing to rec as it's actually one of her lightest series - it has tough moments but it's mostly sci-fi thriller awesome stuff with alien psychologies.

No, when I'm talking about Cherryh writing dark/sad stuff I'm thinking of the Faded Sun trilogy or Cyteen. I love that stuff but whooooof.

Also I loved the Bone Ships! Can't wait to read the sequel. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I finished Arrow's Flight (Valdemar #2) and oh man I love this book:

A fascinating exploration of mental health, the ethics of being a magical empath, and a disaster survival novel all in one. What a book!

The premise is, Talia finally sets out on her first circuit - she goes on a year long ride with a mentor around the northern territories of Valdemar and stops at every small village and dispenses the Queen's Justice and fends off bandits and other problems.

The majority of the book is spent deep in character study, as shortly after the circuit begins, her control over her psychic powers begins to disintegrate, and all of her insecurity, fears, angers and worse come to play. There's also a good look at her mentor, Kris - he's fascinatingly helpful and flawed, as he wants to trust Talia but doesn't, and he's a teacher of Gifts but doesn't know how to help her for a long time.

It all comes to a head in the middle of the novel where they barely reach a shelter in time for the worst blizzard in history to hit, and it's just them, their horses and two pack animals and Talia's broken mental state as she hits rock bottom - and slowly finds herself again.

It's fantastic, different from the first book and more tightly plotted but just as emotional. More clues as to future problems abound, and characters continue to live their lives and develop, and the central drama of Talia and Kris is just, mwah. I loved this book. It works better than the first one and it's so...so reassuring to read a book that delves into mental illness in a fantasy setting without magically fixing it.

Highly recommended, but read the first one first!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StrixNebulosa posted:

I re-read Mercedes Lackey's Arrows of the Queen, the first of the Valdemar saga, and here's my revised review:
Arrows of the Queen is not a perfect novel, and I cannot give it five stars thanks to its uneven pacing - but it is an indulgent one, a sweet one, and a book I would happily give to anyone who needs a pick-me-up. See, it's a book about a young girl who flees an abusive home, is rescued by a magical horse, and spends the rest of the novel growing up at a magical college. The end of the novel is her finally accepting that she's home, she has friends, and she's happy.
I loved all of Lackey's Valdemar books as a child, and I think I first found this one - which I thought had won some sort of award, but apparently not - around the age of 10 or so. There are some retcons as the series progresses, I have to admit.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I finished Arrow's Flight (Valdemar #2) and oh man I love this book:

A fascinating exploration of mental health, the ethics of being a magical empath, and a disaster survival novel all in one. What a book!
This one is great, and it ties in well with the remainder of the Valdemar books (at least the first 10 or so).

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Downbelow Station sucks.

I HATED Downbelow Station. It takes a cool setting and premise does absolutely nothing with them. The aliens are painful to read-- a blend of cliché native American tropes and Jar Jar Binks.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Harrow the Ninth is $2.99 on Kindle in the US right now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WYSGHC7/?coliid=I1VLDVPO0OZV0C&colid=30BMWTZBYAZYK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Holy poo poo, thanks for that, I didn't think it'd go on deep sale this soon after coming out.